• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The Hellblade 2 trailer might be total pre-rendered BS for all we know.

But you guys really should understand an "engine demo" and a "real time in engine cut scene" both carry some of the same advantages that allow you to increase fidelity compared to a real game. Neither represent what you can pull off as soon as you add more variables and gameplay systems.

What we saw today is indicative of what you could expect of a game with a simple platforming area with no enemies and their AIs and animations, no weapon that can cause random explosions, etc. Which is really not a far cry from a scripted in-engine sequence.

The question about Hellblade 2 is whether it's actually rendered in real time on XSX hardware, but if it is..that's very similar to a game engine demo as far as what you can "cheat" on.

We still haven't ACTUALLY SEEN real next-gen gameplay. But I honestly suspect Sony first party will make a real game look at least as good as that UE Demo.

Last edited:
Seeing what Naughty Dog has done with PS4, I would not try to think what Sony can do with PS5. I could blow your head off. But what if you try to imagine it in VR?

Hello dear Sir.

I remember this video saying that the higher clock in the PS5 GPU will favor higher polygon counts. (timestamped)

Can you please explain this to me.

In light of the billions of triangles we've just witnessed from UE5, this made me think that Cerny really opted for the higher clock instead of more CUs to pair with the ultra-fast SSD.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member

They don't have to cheat with smoke next-gen.

I think it's rather disingenuous to state this was a cheat. How do you know it wasn't simply an artistic choice and direction? You have the dragon fight on the ground in other areas of the game...why didn't they have to use smoke there, if that's what this was? Unless you have the developers quoted somewhere stating that they had to make this sequence in the sky filled with "smoke" because of processing limitations or something, I don't think this is an accurate statement.

saintjules

Screenshots of PS5 real-time gameplay:

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Nanite-2491x1401-110edc43c67b7d81be869bf703cb40a72e557c96.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Lumen-2491x1401-3da7aa4892984ed6e7375aa7c19aa162725b957f.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_1_ALT-2160x1214-6599ca93295364b5d9cd0c34a203426baf38c4b8.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_2-2491x1400-8a288c8c4645d4dd51ab4323aa86b1405ff66df5.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_3-2491x1400-b9dc65762824a9aa810ffda0fcaf389469ab129f.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_4-2491x1401-71bbb024090055a380dc3c0d3f501654a7fc23c5.jpg

Unreal+Engine%2Fblog%2Fa-first-look-at-unreal-engine-5%2FUnreal_Engine_5_Gallery_5-2491x1401-0f8d32bd3e9d771a13abd95928879b6e506b3b1f.jpg

Source:

She'd make a great Princess of Persia.

I'm hoping they will have an uncompressed version of the video somewhere.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem the first 2 screenshots look like CGI concept art, except its NOT!!!!!

:messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_fire::messenger_bicep::messenger_bicep:

The best thing about UE overall it has Quixel Megascans of "real" assets, that's why it looks real. Above that, it's not that taxing on the hardware compared to other engines, let's say Ubisoft's engine used for AC games. Good thing is that you can still use Quixel Megascans outside UE if you feel so, that's why EA's BF games look stunning on current gen.

Last edited:

Audiophile

Gold Member
Hellblade 2 Reveal Trailer ("XSX")
Curated In-Engine Trailer (Cinematic), Real-Time Unconfirmed
3840x1608p @ 23.976fps

Unreal Engine V Reveal Tech Demo ("PS5 Dev Kit")
Curated Interactive Tech Demo (Gameplay), Real-Time Confirmed
2560x1440p+ Dynamic Res w/ Temporal Upsample @ 29.97fps

Those are the cold hard facts, the rest is up for interpretation. Not saying which is better, just what is.

Hello dear Sir.

I remember this video saying that the higher clock in the PS5 GPU will favor higher polygon counts. (timestamped)

Can you please explain this to me.

In light of the billions of triangles we've just witnessed from UE5, this made me think that Cerny really opted for the higher clock instead of more CUs to pair with the ultra-fast SSD.

Well they are super charged specialized/custom Dragon Ball Z compute units. Overall PS5 is tightly packed, well integrated, highly customized console where the sum of its parts can talk to each other in a free manner. I think the best way to describe it is like a corporation/company. Instead of having cubicles, stairs, walls, and floors, you have 1 floor where everybody from different department sits in a round circle, and they talk to each other. However they are extremely well mannered and they know when to speak and when to act.

Or something..

That is NOT what they sad. Some triangles are as big as a pixel... some.

Watch the Digital Foundry though. (I'll watch it too again later, maybe I got what they said wrongly)

I'll write now what I thought I heard. They said what Epic did with the UE5 for the PS5 is 1 triangle for every pixel. This is possible because anything that is not a pixel on your screen is not being rendered by the engine.

So every frame renders 2560x1440 of triangles. It could go higher if the dynamic resolution renders higher. It could go lower if the pixel on the screen/frame is showing an effect or magic (anything that is not an object).

Edit: Ok here is the video again (timestamped). What am I missing?

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
It's a Microsoft technology fansite..

That's like complaining that Push Square focuses on playstation stuff...

S1VqCNq.png

If MS had a great 3rd party demo and Push Square made the same tweet you guys would be laughing at how funny it is and how MS got owned..

In fact you were all pre-emptively laughing about it before their dogshit 3rd party show lol

Nope. Not even. If this had been a demo that they said was running on Xbox Series X I'd be jazzed about it knowing I'd see similar things on the PS5 as well. Yeah, maybe just a touch of....can the PS5 really do this, but in general just good. Sure people would be saying that the PS5 can do it too. So what? This site made a comment basically to that effect that the Xbox series X will be able to do this stuff too. Nobody was disputing that. They were answering the initial observation that the site had some bias towards Xbox which is completely believable since it IS called "Windows Central." Not sure where you're going with this otherwise....

IntentionalPun

But...I think they're owned by Microsoft. That's like complaining that the Playstation.blog site or PSU or something is too Playstation oriented. This is WINDOWS CENTRAL that we're talking about. :)
They aren't owned by Microsoft; but yes.. they are a Windows/Xbox news/fan site.

IntentionalPun

They were answering the initial observation that the site had some bias towards Xbox which is completely believable since it IS called "Windows Central." Not sure where you're going with this otherwise....
The comment I was replying to suggested their bias was somehow "hidden".. it's literally a Windows/Xbox fan site.... it's not hidden. That was my point.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Yes on top of that gamepass and gamestreaming. Could you play 4K forza horizon through game streaming on Xbone S, cause it does display 4k, versus Forza Horizon game disk that runs natively on Xbone S at 1080p?

Bingo. I forgot about the Gamepass and streaming angle but yes. If you can use Gamepass on your XB series S AND your "old" Xbox One that you gave to your kids, for example, and have the bandwidth to do effective game streaming they are hoping the breadth of the ecosystem and variety will drive customer adoption way up, which will then attract more development and thus make them more money. They're basically trying to turn Xbox into the same kind of platform as Windows. Not a bad idea for them. I guess we'll have to see if and how well it succeeds. They always have had a larger advantage in BC and the ecosystem and they haven't hit pay dirt yet, but with this kind of expansion, we'll just have to see how the market reacts.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Those are actually 8K assets, if someone asks "why 8K, why not 4K?" it's because you need that extra resolution when you get closer to them and they don't look cheap up close. Good thing you don't need to render all that from far away, the more you get closer, the more it renders.

Plus..doesn't using 8k assets allow them to plan for future backwards compatibility? If the next, next gen console are all about 8k gaming then this game would already have the 8k assets needed? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

Radical_3d

Watch the Digital Foundry though. (I'll watch it too again later, maybe I got what they said wrongly)

I'll write now what I thought I heard. They said what Epic did with the UE5 for the PS5 is 1 triangle for every pixel. This is possible because anything that is not a pixel on your screen is not being rendered by the engine.

So every frame renders 2560x1440 of triangles. It could go higher if the dynamic resolution renders higher. It could go lower if the pixel on the screen/frame is showing an effect or magic (anything that is not an object).
I think they are reffering to the size of the textures. Resolution has nothing to do as a measurement of quality for an asset.
*Wakes up*
*Checks neogaf*
*10 new pages*

hqdefault.jpg
Ohhhh... Yoy missed the party. Don't worry. It wasn't that fun...

But. It. Totally. Was.

Holy shit that is beyond embarrassing.
I just imagine this situation:

-So we can use the Unreal Engine 5 tecnlogy in XSX
-Yes sure you can
-Greath I want our games in 4k as our console is for 4k no that 1440p
-Yeah about that could be higher resolution but not so high maybe with luck 18% more pixel
-But that is far to be 4k but still good
-And with less detail for the SSD
-.....are you kidding me?
-But hey you can still say you have more TF

Take it easy I am sure both will looks gorgeous

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Plus..doesn't using 8k assets allow them to plan for future backwards compatibility? If the next, next gen console are all about 8k gaming then this game would already have the 8k assets needed? Or am I thinking about this the wrong way?

You may say so indeed. But when we reach 8K gaming, we would need 16K assets to replicate the same results. I'm a graphics whore and I always spend so much time looking at things up close, and enjoy collectables from Uncharted and Tom Raider games. So the higher quality the assets, the sharper they are closer. Meaning, you can still zoom in to assets 3x more than 4K assets.

Overall, put that in native 8K, and you already get the remastered game without shedding a sweat. Still, with this insanity, mid gen PS5 Pro is a must for native 4K.

Last edited:

geordiemp

Hellblade 2 Reveal Trailer ("XSX")
Curated In-Engine Trailer (Cinematic), Real-Time Unconfirmed
3840x1608p @ 23.976fps

Unreal Engine V Reveal Tech Demo ("PS5 Dev Kit")
Curated Interactive Tech Demo (Gameplay), Real-Time Confirmed
2560x1440p+ Dynamic Res w/ Temporal Upsample @ 29.97fps

Those are the cold hard facts, the rest is up for interpretation. Not saying which is better, just what is.

True, and one of them you can play on ps5 demo kits now....and the other is a cut scene

lmmboAg.png

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I think it's rather disingenuous to state this was a cheat. How do you know it wasn't simply an artistic choice and direction? You have the dragon fight on the ground in other areas of the game...why didn't they have to use smoke there, if that's what this was? Unless you have the developers quoted somewhere stating that they had to make this sequence in the sky filled with "smoke" because of processing limitations or something, I don't think this is an accurate statement.
nah, hes right. to me, that particular sequence is the most impressive thing ive seen all gen. they start from the mountain, end up on the lake then literally fly through half of hellheim.... all in one take, while fighting on a dragon. its amazing, and yes they cheated with the smoke. they cheated while they had you struggle with baldur in the travel room for a good 30 seconds while the game loaded hellheim in the background.

hes not shitting on the game. he's merely pointing out the limitations. everything from when kratos crashes on the gate to when he finally lands in hellheim is a cutscene. next gen there wont be a need to take control away from the player.

Sinthor

Gold Member
nah, hes right. to me, that particular sequence is the most impressive thing ive seen all gen. they start from the mountain, end up on the lake then literally fly through half of hellheim.... all in one take, while fighting on a dragon. its amazing, and yes they cheated with the smoke. they cheated while they had you struggle with baldur in the travel room for a good 30 seconds while the game loaded hellheim in the background.

hes not shitting on the game. he's merely pointing out the limitations. everything from when kratos crashes on the gate to when he finally lands in hellheim is a cutscene. next gen there wont be a need to take control away from the player.

I get it, I just don't KNOW that this is what they did. That's all I'm really saying. I'm sure that using sequences to load other assets happens- that's a part of game design. Just not positive that the decision to use the smoke was forced because of some reason like that. I don't see the level of detail being used in that sequence being out of line with the rest of the game to the point where they would have had to say...not show ground moving behind the dragon instead of clouds and smoke. I could well be wrong and hell, probably am. Just saying I'm not sure it's accurate to state that with certainty.

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
PS5 And Xbox Series X GPU Difference Is Minimal, Anything Beyond 10 TFLOPs Is Heaven – Hazel Sky Dev

Speaking to GamingBolt in a recent interview, when asked about the effective difference between the PS5 and Xbox Series X’s GPU clock speeds – 10.28 TFLOPs and 12 TFLOPs respectively – Marcolim said that in his opinion, the difference is going to be “minimal,” since in his view, anything above 10 TFLOPs is “heaven” from a GPU perspective.

“Minimal in my opinion,” he said. “We always think about low end PCs running our game so we always try to make the game optimized as possible and anything beyond 10 TFLOPS is just heaven for us, GPU-wise.”

“I don’t think power really matters,” Marcolim said. “If it did, Switch would not be a success. I feel like the studios that Microsoft bought and are making games and the care they are taking to really choose each indie game that enters their store so it doesn’t become the pseudo games graveyard that Steam did are waybetter signs than the raw power of the console.”

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Sony says ‘wait for PS5 sales’ before comparing it to Microsoft’s Xbox marketing

In an investor call earlier today, Sony CFO Hiroki Totoki fielded a question from an analyst around the lack of PS5 promotion versus the Xbox Series X and whether the company is failing to keep up with Microsoft’s push.

Sony might not have revealed full details just yet, but it’s clearly already confident about its next-gen plans. “We consider things strategically but doing our best,” said Totoki, reports Bloomberg’s Takashi Mochizuki. “As for pass or fail, I would wait for PS5 sales to make that judgement.”

Ascend

Seems like you've never been to dry, desert lands before. Be my guest and visit me here and I'll take you to places that look near-identical to those.:messenger_winking:
It's just an observation. No need to get triggered. It was UE back then too, remember?

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
But...I think they're owned by Microsoft. That's like complaining that the Playstation.blog site or PSU or something is too Playstation oriented. This is WINDOWS CENTRAL that we're talking about. :)

They are not. Not complaining about the focus or being fans. I used to visit the site often in the past. It's the lowbrow FUD regression being pushed like a bunch of Twittards.

Last edited:

Edit: Ok here is the video again (timestamped). What am I missing?

If you watch the epic video right at the beginning of the demo they mention SOME not all.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom