• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ascend

Not triggered at all, really. Those are actually photorealistic assets picked from somewhere in the world.
Fair enough. I guess I prefer the vibrant colors of the Caribbean. Yeah, that's where I'm from.

As a reference, this is normal for me;
lFY2Zq6.jpg

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
Take a lesson in marketing Microsoft!!! This is how things are being done properly. Know your audience, set the right expectations, and deliver. And the best thing: Articles like this one with Verge show that the PR Team has already lined up everything.

And now, let´s wait for tomorrow for the gameplay of Ghost of Tsushima do dominate the news once again. Good week.
What are you talking about? Nothing beats Greenberg's XSX fridge and 90s webcam.

B_Boss

You can feel the pain in his voice when is realized than exists a way to increment the details of the graphics so
much just for the SSD bandwidth in exactly this moment (6:16):

Many of you are ballsy watching a tech demo analysis or discussion with Dictator involved. Especially concerning the awesomeness we witnessed today. “Multi pass”. I just refuse to have him (directly or indirectly) water down or kill the experience with fanboyism lol. Love John, multi pass on Dictator.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fair enough. I guess I prefer the vibrant colors of the Caribbean. Yeah, that's where I'm from.

I love the nature out there! We got them all and can visit them all in less than 12 hours (sandy/rocky beaches, green/rocky mountains, dirt/sandy deserts (Empty Quarter). I'll be your free tour guide if you ever come here. Cheers, mate ;)

148906.jpg

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The demo looks fantastic even without it (I am sure you concur as well). I am sure there have been significant advances to light and shadows without the use of raytracing. I think what is more important than raytracing is:

CINEMATIC MOVIE LIKE MOTION/ANIMATION (in 4k, 60fps :messenger_tongue: )
Oh it looks amazing.. don't get me wrong.

Don't really care how they get the purdy graphics on my screen... just kinda interesting that one of the leading engine creators chose to show off their biggest engine advancement in years without it.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Proper GoT gameplay is unfinished business, they had to take that out of the way before moving on.
I REALLY want to see games like GoT running on PS5 with ehancements.

Hope Sony doesn't wait too long to show that stuff off... and to me that wouldn't take away from those game sales it only adds to it.

Ascend

I love the nature out there! We got them all and can visit them all in less than 12 hours (sandy/rocky beaches, green/rocky mountains, dirt/sandy deserts (Empty Quarter). I'll be your free tour guide if you ever come here. Cheers, mate ;)

148906.jpg
You buy the PS5 and I buy the XSX, and you can show me the SSD and I'll show you the TFLOPS in person xD Lol..

In any case, the demo was truly impressive, despite the color palette. Much better than what MS showed. I just don't want us to revisit the brownness of the PS3/X360 gen. It wasn't needed then (look at Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect), and it definitely isn't needed now.
I guess I would've been more impressed if the character was flying into an area that looked completely different. But hey, it's still the best we got up to now, and I don't doubt that it would have been possible to do such a thing.

Last edited:

Thirty7ven

Banned
There’s no need for comparisons really. I truly hope at least some of the naysayers understand by looking at the tech demo that the bar will definitely be raised enough that you don’t need to fear missing out by choosing one piece of hardware over the other.

Regardless whether you put your money on the PC, PS5 or Xbox, you’re in for a treat. The upcoming years are going to turn kids dreams into playable games.

We’ve finally reached a point where there’s enough freedom for developers to really deliver on the ideas they so desperately want to make playable but keep being held back by ancient tech.

All those polygons are the result of the SSD removing a bottleneck. That level of density isn't possible in real-time with a HDD.

The idea that an SSD makes graphics better has been scoffed at for ages, but there are scenarios where it allows for more when the horsepower is available.. Time for some crow naysayers.
It is not just the ssd. It is the phenomenal I/O solution within the PS5.

Gediminas

Banned
You buy the PS5 and I buy the XSX, and you can show me the SSD and I'll show you the TFLOPS in person xD Lol..

In any case, the demo was truly impressive, despite the color palette. Much better than what MS showed. I just don't want us to revisit the brownness of the PS3/X360 gen. It wasn't needed then (look at Mirror's Edge, Mass Effect), and it definitely isn't needed now.
I guess I would've been more impressed if the character was flying into an area that looked completely different. But hey, it's still the best we got up to now, and I don't doubt that it would have been possible to do such a thing.
you are trying so hard. have you some stocks in m$? or Phil is your father?

yes, rocks are brown, that is so wrong, it should be rainbows and sunshines, and pink, more pink. dust should be like gold. yeah, bad palette, reality is wrong.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

Indeed, green environments are more catchy, but also more demanding (shaky trees/grass). To me, I've seen some caves that look close to these. It's funny that even NASA came here on some areas that look somehow "close" to Mars:

1_16a08473ffa.2155320_3745874092_16a08473ffa_large.jpg

That washed out look of PS360 era will never happen, don't worry.

FeiRR

Banned
From the commentary to the UE demo:
- the number of triangles of assets doesn't matter anymore: they said that the statue object was imported directly from Zbrush - no need to create LOD levels, reduce geometry, etc. They could've put a million of those statues in the scene, it does not hinder performance. of course you need a certain number of triangles to build the scene but the GPU processes only those visible. this will be GODSENT for dev studios. balancing of performance is a huge issue.
- they introduced several engines that work together: lighting (global illumination), physics (rigid body simulation will make destructible environments very realistic), animation (I love the smoothness of animation, it's beautiful, and also contextual, which is where the new CPU must play a big role), geometry and sound (will probably work in cooperation with Tempest),
- because there can be as many triangles on screen as pixels, resolution isn't that important anymore, because aliasing should stop being an issue, if I understand that correctly (no jaggies since there are no ramps).

If I'm wrong about anything, tell me.

whoever81

I agree about the color palette but it is of course just personal preference. Would have liked more green, more blue, more colors in general. Artistically speaking I also didn't particularly like the female character. Looked a bit generic and cartoony. Look at those huge eyes. Almost like an anime character.
It was certainly an outstanding nextgen showcase though and my hype is breaking the ceiling.

Last edited:

Games Dean

Couple really important things that haven't really been pointed out yet.

First, this demo we saw was made on AN EARLY devkit and was made between last September and finished at some point before the original GDC date in March. I'd imagine this demo could've been finetuned even a little more on current devkits. That's exciting.

Second thing, remember after Road to PS5 the vocal crowd of people saying that "Only Sony first party games will take advantage of that SSD. It was a waste to focus on that instead of flops."

We now have undeniable proof that this isn't true. UE is the most popular game engine in the world and Sweeney flat out said they partnered with Sony to ensure that the engine takes as much advantage of Sony's SSD architecture as possible. Of course first party games will always be able to optimize the most, but make no mistake, third party devs will be utilizing the unique capabilities of the PS5 as well.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Hell blade was real time in engine. As said by Phil Spencer.

Yeah, a cut scene. It looked fantastic, but was not real time gameplay. I have no doubt the game will look great as well when all is said and done.

Windows Central parrots: "But... But there is no RAY TRACING!"

Did they really say this after trying to coopt it for XsX?

Last edited:
Honestly I'm surprised by some of the spin about the Unreal Demo. It's a PS5 showcase through and through. Until the XSX comes out with something similar, the PS5 takes the win here. Truly incredible graphics.

It definitely puts Sony in a good place, in terms of partnering with the no.1 engine vendor so early on, basically ensuring the engine can take advantage of (PS5 hardware) once it's ready at the end of 2021.

Last edited:

xacto

LED Guy?

Banned
Just saw the PlayStation 5 tech demo, holy shit! That looks like a CGI rendered movie, it's unbelievable how this was rendered, the lighting system is just too good, better than any RTX lighting I have seen.

This in terms of textures, polygon counts, geometry, and lighting looks way better than that Hellblade 2 "In-engine" trailer, and it has NO LOD AT ALL, 0 LOD, NONE!

This stuff is breathtaking, this is the TRUE NEXT-GEN LEAP we have been waiting for!

Of course, Sony's 1st-party will have graphics that are going to be on-par or better in the future, you know how Naughty Dog, Santa Monica, Insomniac Games and many others will do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom