• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ToadMan

It's funny how on one side, people are claiming Sony obviously didn't pay Epic in any way, what so ever, since there was no PS5 logo anywhere to be seen... and on the other side, people are claiming that this was a genious move by Sony and are comparing it to the "Used games" moment from E3.

By "people" you mean one person offering that comparison?

It seems to me anyone with a brain sees that Epic demo'd their new multiplat tech and chose the platform that they thought showed it best.

On the other side are people who are salty that this wasn't the xsex that Epic chose. They're also salty that Epic hasn't come out and said this will "look the same" on xsex - Epic can't say that because MS haven't finished working on the tech to get their SSD and non-unified memory working efficiently.

Epic probably cannot run that demo today on xsex at the fidelity they showed on PS5 - that may well be down to optimisation required by both MS and Epic but I assume thats all it is and not some fundamental limitation of the xsex. Regardless, they're not gonna come out and talk about that while development is ongoing.

zaitsu

Banned
8bESOuH.jpg

Bo_Hazem

Banned
"Quite large". ROFL. The relative difference is even less than Pro to X.

The best part:
"Epic runs a demo on a PS5 devkit. Sony paid them!!"

"Youtubers get invitations and free Xbox gear from Microsoft to show off the new console, with nothing but praise. Sounds trustworthy to me. No paid marketing at all."

It's bizarro world.

The funny thing is Sony PlayStation official accounts and blog didn't even bother to share a link of the Unreal Engine 5 demo, yet you see Phil Spencer and Aaron Greenberg feasting on it in a #MeToo manner. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

FranXico

After state of play doesn’t make sense as it take the attention away from TLOU2

announcement is probably either tomorrow or Friday
we feasting fammmmmmm. Hypeedddd

it will be only the console design and games. UI and ecosystem and price for another date
I think this time, they won't rush to reveal any major OS feature until closer to launch. For obvious reasons.

from one of the June 3 announcement articles

The virtual event could be held on June 3, though some people also cautioned that plans have been in flux and that the date may change. Other PlayStation 5 events may follow in the coming weeks and months, and Sony is not expected to reveal every essential detail on the console during its first presentation.

Is it safe to assume a detail we won't learn is the price? Not sure what other non-essential detail they could hold off, other than price and the console itself

ToadMan

After state of play doesn’t make sense as it take the attention away from TLOU2

announcement is probably either tomorrow or Friday
we feasting fammmmmmm. Hypeedddd

it will be only the console design and games. UI and ecosystem and price for another date

Ya. Seems to me like they've gotta do something about TLOU2 and GOT - those 2 will get crushed under foot if Sony can't find a way to fit them into the PS5 marketing. Certainly going for a buy now and get free on new console would help.

Unfortunately the delay to TLOU2 has pushed it into the jaws of the PS5 release hype.

Neo Blaster

If there is a full Sony event on June 3, they must announce it like... now. There is no way they will make a last minute announcement for something so important, they must want as many eyes on the live event as possible for social media noise.

If come Friday evening we still heard nothing from Sony, it's not happening on the 3rd.
They said there would be no PS5 news on SoP, but nobody said they can't do it today later.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Ya. Seems to me like they've gotta do something about TLOU2 and GOT - those 2 will get crushed under foot if Sony can't find a way to fit them into the PS5 marketing. Certainly going for a buy now and get free on new console would help.

Unfortunately the delay to TLOU2 has pushed it into the jaws of the PS5 release hype.

Doesn't matter for TLOU2. Only thing that can damage it are bad reviews and word of mouth.

Last edited:

saintjules

GoT, I definitely would get buried under the reveal, so I agree on that part. But I think it won't matter overall for TLOU2. I think the minds have been made up by the people who wanted the game. It will still sell regardless. The higher editions of the game are currently sold out in terms of pre-orders most places.

Faithless83

Banned
Am I the only one more curious about the SEGA reveal now? PS5 is a given at this point.
I'm betting on a partnership between SEGA x Sony or SEGA x MS.
Sony SEGA Sammy has a nice ring to it though. LOL

Darius87

Tim never said what console would run the demo better and when pressed on the matter he responded by saying that it would be awesome on both.
he was indirectly impying not one time that best version was ps5 here one example:
“This is not just a whole lot of polygons and memory. It’s also a lot of polygons being loaded every frame as you walk around through the environment and this sort of detail you don’t see in the world would absolutely not be possible at any scale without these breakthroughs that Sony’s made.”
breakthrough is a big word i wouldn't think that xsex ssd would count as breakthrough and we know that this demo was all about streaming assets of ssd to ram because you can't fit everything into 16gb and that's why epic done this demo on ps5.

Corndog

Banned
Nothing except the video telling us that some of those things wouldn't be possible without sony's breakthrough.
That's crazy how you put words into Sweeney's mouth but refuse to listen when he explicitly says that it wouldn't be possible on other platforms.

Either you have attention trouble or you really just want to listen what you want to hear.
And Sony fans are refusing to look at the wording. This statement in no way says the demo can’t run on series x.

If it is this simple why hasn’t epic simply said this demo can’t run on series x?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not impressed on those ambisonics at all, but well, the fact that they're supporting it is the key thing. Now it's up to developers to include high quality recordings. Same with the IRs.

It's a nice touch and could help PS5's True 3D Audio implementation, and what Audiophile Audiophile mentioned that you only need 2.0 Channel to take advantage of PS5's ambitious HRTF 3D audio is quite intriguing. It fully explains Mark Cerny saying great audio for everyone! What a genius. By the way, you better check Xperia 1 mark II reviews, I'm getting one as soon as possible although Sony Mobile has pulled out of the Middle-east 2 years ago due to poor sales so I'll order it from the web.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom