• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

R600

Banned
So Sony patent is actually dev kit that has now been confirmed delivered to devs for some time. How come people said PCB leak was far too early for Dev Kit mother boards to be produced?

vpance

You are right it is a confirmed dev kit by a dev from Codemasters.

Really surprised we are not getting more leaked info from devs if there are a lot of these in the wild.

We were extremely lucky last gen with the hacked docs and SDKs.

Devs never really leak the big hardware info, for fear of getting destroyed career wise, lol. I did find out about 8GB in PS4 last gen from a dev dropping hints though.

R600

Banned
We were extremely lucky last gen with the hacked docs and SDKs.

Devs never really leak the big hardware info, for fear of getting destroyed career wise, lol. I did find out about 8GB in PS4 last gen from a dev dropping hints though.
Then again we did get entire 360 arch diagram and specs in 2004.

Sony has been touting Cell for years before PS3 as well.

I think this time its probably the tightest we seen, everyone is quite.

Fake

I hope the final design looks similar.
I prefer more similar to this:
ps4.jpg

Anw, its good to know the dev kit was confirmed. Leaks are so slow those days. Maybe Sone split out something.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
PS4 design is classic. Probably my favorite design ever (with X).

360 was also so beautiful in white, as was PS3 Slim (first one).
I hear ya.

I dont know why more consoles can't be made in a nice traditional home media casing.

Here's some Toshiba BR player I found on Google. Is it that hard for console makers to make something simple and sleek?

And if it has to be a bit bigger because a console has more chips needing cooling, then make it bigger, but still keep it's simplistic design.

ec0e7d1d-2358-e311-93f7-005056914c46_720x600.jpg

Last edited:
I hear ya.

I dont know why more consoles can't be made in a nice traditional home media casing.

Here's some Toshiba BR player I found on Google. Is it that hard for console makers to make something simple and sleek?

And if it has to be a bit bigger because a console has more chips needing cooling, then make it bigger, but still keep it's simplistic design.

ec0e7d1d-2358-e311-93f7-005056914c46_720x600.jpg
it's ugly.

Gamernyc78

Banned
GTFO :messenger_tears_of_joy:

I loved the fat PS3, so premium!

That said, I loved the PS2 just as much :messenger_heart:

PS4 is ok, nothing more. Hoping for another sexy console from Sony.

My thoughts exactly. I had my ps3 front and center ppl use to come in and be like "what's tht it looks cool" before ps3 became affordable and mainstream. Tht bb gave me blu-ray, full Dolby 7.1 surround sound, real stereoscopic 3d and other shit other consoles weren't doing. I never regretted my purchase.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
So Sony patent is actually dev kit that has now been confirmed delivered to devs for some time. How come people said PCB leak was far too early for Dev Kit mother boards to be produced?
It's funny how casual that guy from Codemasters was..."yeeeah we got a bunch of those". We're not quite there yet, but the OQA leak doesn't seem so far fetched now. My opinion...
SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

---
The dev kit might not share any design elements with the final console, but if they did retain a similar look I decided to take it to the chop shop and make a more compact consumer version for fun.

Before and after: *edit* single image with correct scaling added
ps5devkitscaled.png

It will probably end up a black box like PS2 or Xbox One X, but it's fun to guess.:messenger_tongue:

Last edited:

bitbydeath

It's funny how casual that guy from Codemasters was..."yeeeah we got a bunch of those". We're not quite there yet, but the OQA leak doesn't seem so far fetched now. My opinion...
SkeletalBronzeAcornwoodpecker-size_restricted.gif

---
The dev kit might not share any design elements with the final console, but if they did retain a similar look I decided to take it to the chop shop and make a more compact consumer version for fun:
Before:
ps5devkit.png

After:
ps5Mock.png

It will probably end up a black box like PS2 or Xbox One X, but it's fun to guess.:messenger_tongue:

Why’s nobody like it?
It looks cool, like a futuristic landing bay.

C9E878C29F1968A83493883C8AD3A513510B7BE5

Gamernyc78

Banned

Bcus most of these arm chair analysts on here know shit. If we listened to them half of the stuff thts basically confirmed wouldn't be happening.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Why’s nobody like it?

C9E878C29F1968A83493883C8AD3A513510B7BE5

Maybe people want their cookie cutter Ikea basic look?

It’s definitely interesting looking for a devkit, the V-shape I am sure throws some rendition to the PS5 numeral, as well as functional, maybe.

The retail unit probably won’t be that busy in design.

I am definitely eager to see leaked photos.

Last edited:

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
Why’s nobody like it?
No hate, I thought I did an ok job at shrinking it down and keeping some of the same elements intact. I left the "V" intake on there, too, it's just all reduced to a more palatable consumer form factor.

Right now it looks like a home theater projector...
61cviWaajwL._SL1500_.jpg

Don't mean so much because its just a box leaked. Nothing about specs was out, so no damage after all.
On the contrary, Sony gave us a breadcrumb and the internet will keep speculating for the next 6 months about that mysterious cooling solution and what it entails...

They don't have to divulge specs to stay relevant in the next-gen discussion. ;)

MS did the same thing by showing a photo of the APU die.

Fake

On the contrary, Sony gave us a breadcrumb and the internet will keep speculating for the next 6 months about that mysterious cooling solution and what it entails...

They don't have to divulge specs to stay relevant in the next-gen discussion. ;)

MS did the same thing by showing a photo of the APU die.
If you're talking about the 'internet' and 'fake news' I agree. Ignorance is a bless.

Fake

I would say maybe 40-50% or so larger than a Sega Saturn?
Dunno, maybe close to the original PS4 dev kit or a sighly bigger. The PS4 dev kit have many air holes for decipitate heat until they figure out a better way until devs could learn about consoles.

Aceofspades

Banned
My thoughts exactly. I had my ps3 front and center ppl use to come in and be like "what's tht it looks cool" before ps3 became affordable and mainstream. Tht bb gave me blu-ray, full Dolby 7.1 surround sound, real stereoscopic 3d and other shit other consoles weren't doing. I never regretted my purchase.

360 didn't even have Wifi, PS3 (60GB) was full of card readers, standard Hdd, BR and standard wifi and Hdmi cables as standard. 360 didn't have none of that plus a %60 failure rate, noisy units.

xGreir

OK, I don't know to what I'm looking anymore, but I think Sony has delivered???

Probably 10+TF, SSD, Sexy CPU, and I can't be the only one that sees the huge "V" from "PLAYSTATION V" on the chase.

We made it BOIS! 1!1!1!

Gross, why?
I'd love the PS5 to look like the Dev kit. Why?

- Because it beats it looking like a boring square box that can easily blend in with other entertainment units under your TV.
- Because the design looks like it leans very heavily on function instead of form (see the horribly designed PS4 Pro that is unable to get rid of the hot air fast enough)
- Because having a unit sit in your room that looks interesting can also be considered a piece of art
- Because the outlandish design also harkens back to days of old when console designs went for a bit of style as well
- Because gaming is meant to be fun and having a console that takes on some of that in terms of design (while remaining functional) is just groovy

Of course everyone has an opinon on this design but i much love it and hope some design elements (if not all) carry over to final console.

sinnergy

It looks ugly as shit, besides looking ugly it’s also not practical, and blends bad in the room... less is better, this is not...

The final design will be different.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
We've certainly moved on from the days when console dev kits were little more than a PC case with ribbon cables tangled up in a small metal box with rudimentary switching gear. Now even the dev kits have to be a piece of industrial design.

Bryank75

Banned
We've certainly moved on from the days when console dev kits were little more than a PC case with ribbon cables tangled up in a small metal box with rudimentary switching gear. Now even the dev kits have to be a piece of industrial design.

The thing is that if more people adopted console gaming, it would be able to leverage the economies of scale even more than it does currently and we could get more expensive components and R&D for less.

That includes design. Who knows, we could have a Jony Ives designed console yet...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom