• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is huge. He's just told the entire industry that Sony left them behind in a puddle of tears. PC hardware will catch up soon but Xbox... Please understand why our games smell of last gen. Please be excited for a mid-gen refresh in 3 years. Please use the cloud in the meanwhile.
No shit.

This statement leaves Microsoft and the Series X in a really bad position. Just imagine Phil Spencer reading this.

Tim Sweeney;
For PC enthusiasts, the exciting thing about the PS5 architecture is that it’s an existence proof for high bandwidth SSD decompression straight to video memory. Is this enough to get Microsoft, Intel, NVIDIA, Intel, and AMD to work together and do it? We’ll see!

Last edited:

xacto

He was spinning and spinning and apologizing for xbox to the point I felt seasick. Just throw it out there as simple and easy as it is, it'll look and run bad on xbox and stop apologizing, report the message as it is from the developer. Above all of that his slow-mo narrating.

I am sorry I am this shallow, I know... but he lost me after "ladies and gentlemen" intro... after that I had to watch my strawberries grow. So the take of the video was.... what? That PS5 is more beastly than the usual Xbox fans thought?

I thought Xbox Series X has dedicated audio cores and Hardware built on the APU?
It doesn't mean anything, it's just some PR 'Me too'. PS4 also had dedicated audio hardware but it was just to decompress audio. For 3D audio you need plenty of power and MS never stated anywhere their audio hardware would be enough for that, because it won't. They'll need CPU time for anything power hungry like 3D or reverb effect etc.

Even Gameboy or 3DS has "dedicated audio hardware", it doesn't mean it's enough to process 3D audio or HTRF which needs tons of real-time processing. Only PS5 could be able to process HTRF (high quality 3D audio) or 3D effects like reverb and such for free in all games, even multiplat games.

Radical_3d

Was just asking me, with Tim Sweeney and EPIC belong to Sony since 4-5 years to create UE5, Could it be possible to see EPIC store on PS5 at launch?
0cb15599b6fda33fafaae50612d21aff.jpg

ToadMan

I want to ask a question regarding the XSX console, there are any document, post, or youtube video talking about their RAM approach, this is the second time they go with a different set up than PS, now they have 10GB going at a far better 560 GB/s and 6 GB going at 336 GB/s, I want to know, is there any concerns or high expectations with this?

This isn’t quite accurate.

The GPU is limited to 10Gb of faster RAM. They needed this to be able to feed the gpu quickly enough.

The CPU, File I/o and everything other than the GPU accesses all memory - not just the 6gb - at the slow rate of 336GB/S.

2.5gb is estimated to be consumed by the O/S., so games will fit into 10gb of gpu memory, the rest has to fit in 3.5gb - sound, AI, game state etc. If they expand beyond 2.5gb they start to use up the fast vram space.

Anyway, simple answer is Xsex will be limited to 10gb vram since the cost of copying data between the slow and fast parts of memory is expensive in time and computation.

Presumably MS took this approach to save money/reduce cost.

Last edited:

xacto

For all you people claiming that 2020 is the worst year since forever, keep in mind that this year ends with a ps5 in our living rooms. :messenger_winking_tongue:

It depends, the doom-and-gloom team says you gotta pre-order it and then go out there and fight to retrieve it, because no home delivery, and all that is going to happen if the supplies are high enough. Which apparently, for Sony is not the case, cause for some half-assed reason they didn't know and didn't plan for COVID-19, riots in USA, and the melting of the ice caps.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Is it confirmed that XSX is using AMD’s TrueAudioNext for audio processing, or is that just a best guess?

Nope, their solution is barely better than current gen. For TrueAudio Next, AMD reserves 4 CU's for it, and support only 128 sources:

a3c651be6b4d9e962ba9dbff7ce7ea7c75557d7f.jpg

They'll use ordinary, CPU-based, semi-3D audio like in the UE4 already, but will mostly free the CPU by their own dedicated processing chip:

XSX should spare its CU's for that to match the Tempest, and not sure if it'll work out properly.

Last edited:

xacto

That's fair :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Dogs at both ends of the life cycle commonly chew their tails. Young pups chew their tails as they become aware of their body parts. Imagine puppies thinking, “What is that thing following me around? I’ll grab it and see.” Pups consider the tail as a toy rather than anatomy. Youthful tail chasing is usually a passing phase that doesn’t require intervention.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, older dogs chew their tails due to decreased awareness. When mental acuity diminishes, dogs may engage in more repetitive behaviors such as tail chewing. In this case, chewing indicates a cognitive disorder that may require behavior modification medications.

So... is it for fun, or because they're getting old? That dog was an adult, not a puppy?

I know, this lack of info from Sony is making me a worse person than I am 😂

A couple of thoughts on the UE5/SSD/Loading times ordeal:

First of all, I am very much of the idea that the Series X is a phenomenal console, so bear with me here those of you who have a preference for Xbox, even if I seem to praise PS5 and as try to unravel my thoughts on all of this. And feel free to correct me where I may be wrong, I'm surely going to be wrong in some things.

This whole "games 30/40 hour games won't be able to look like the tech demo" thing is debatable. Debatable from the point of view that I would think the magnitude that would be of importance would be size of scenarios/map, number of assets, not necessarily hours of gameplay. Meaning, you could do a 40 hour game on a fairly small map. What's to take into consideration when thinking about number of assets and quality of those assets is not the duration of the story, but the scenario the story takes place at. But, for the sake of my next argument, I'll indulge on it. And it might very well be a true statement, of course, I'm merely saying that I don't think it was properly presented to make the point they wanted to make.

And still, UE5 has tailored its I/O subsystems with PS5 in mind.

Now, even after we accept that big worlds cannot be made in that level of detail, and therefore, the SSD advantage from PS5 over Series X is dimmed, does that actually mean that the only difference that we would be able to extract are loading times? That the PS5 SSD won't be able to provide anything of value over what Series X can do?

The answer to those questions lies on what it is, in my opinion, the big paradigm shift that the PS5 SSD introduces. It's not about graphics, it's not about LOD, it's about game design.

Meaning, you could potentially design games that do things that the Series X absolutely can't, because of its speed. Something based on incredibly fast traversing, or something that needs of that speed to change scenarios in a blink of an eye, to put a couple of examples.

And, of course, here I'm taking into consideration first party games too, not just games made on UE5, but the point stands, that as I said, the big paradigm shift PS5 offers is game design, not loading times, not graphics. Those are aspects the Series X improves upon too, but, giving developers freedom to think outside of the box and come up with new ideas on how to leverage that speed and the usage of the SSD? That's PS5 territory, and it builds upon creativity, which is something of the utmost importance to me.

This is all my opinion, of course, but just saying that lower loading times is all the PS5 SSD can do, I think is dead wrong.

Dogs at both ends of the life cycle commonly chew their tails. Young pups chew their tails as they become aware of their body parts. Imagine puppies thinking, “What is that thing following me around? I’ll grab it and see.” Pups consider the tail as a toy rather than anatomy. Youthful tail chasing is usually a passing phase that doesn’t require intervention.

On the opposite end of the spectrum, older dogs chew their tails due to decreased awareness. When mental acuity diminishes, dogs may engage in more repetitive behaviors such as tail chewing. In this case, chewing indicates a cognitive disorder that may require behavior modification medications.

So... is it for fun, or because they're getting old? That dog was an adult, not a puppy?

I know, this lack of info from Sony is making me a worse person than I am 😂
Big brain reply

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Man I swear if you ever see tiger IRL you will still said than is not possible exists bigger felines than the cats.

Because man thank you God you are not making games because you are very obtuse to understand this type of topics.
You know I say this because of a direct quote from the CEO from Mooneye Studios, right? They said the demo could never be made into an actual game because that game would be way too big, hundreds of gigabytes.

But feel free to tell me how the CEO of Mooneye Studios is wrong, I'm obtuse and you apparently know better than actual developers.

EDIT: Quote was not by Epic, but by the CEO of Mooneye Studios. Changed my post for this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know a little more about dogs than I know about console tech at this point, but I am getting schooled each day in here by my better peers.

And that dog reply was a poor job of copy/paste, I am not that "wordy" myself, but I am cheating the system 😂
Oh, I love doggos, I was born into a house full of them, and throughout my life there's always been at least a dog in my life. They're the best.

You know I say this because of a direct quote from Epic, right? They said the demo could never be made into an actual game because that game would be way too big, hundreds of gigabytes.

But feel free to tell me how the employee from Epic is wrong, I'm obtuse and you apparently know better than the people actually creating the demo.
If we're talking about the same article, it's not from anyone from Epic. It's from Tobias Graff, CEO of Mooneye studios.

You know I say this because of a direct quote from Epic, right? They said the demo could never be made into an actual game because that game would be way too big, hundreds of gigabytes.

But feel free to tell me how the employee from Epic is wrong, I'm obtuse and you apparently know better than the people actually creating the demo.
I know you still without understand what is streaming in videogames and how this can improve the graphics, remember both system will use more than before
its SSD as part of ram (always they used but in minor way for the bandwidth issues) for this reason the huge jump in ram was not necessary in the same level than
before and one system focus in this area.

Last edited:

ToadMan

It is all still up in the air. The thread I referred to is 50 pages long and still no consensus. Maybe you could check out the latest page?

ETA: Here is the blurb on Velocity Architecture from the Xbox website.

It’s just 100gb of SSD (based on the game install) that can be accessed with memory calls rather than file I/O. File I/O is slower so “instant” access just means side stepping the file I/O

In that thread people are either deliberately misunderstanding or looking for some hidden physics defying tech to close the gap on PS5.

As it happens, assuming I’m understanding what Cerny said, the PS5 has effectively the same feature but not limited to 100gb. But there could be a subtle difference or maybe Cerny omitted to mention any game install relative limits to the PS5 solution.

On the other hand, Perhaps MS hid some extra high speed memory inside the power supply box with their second gpu lol

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
So basically he is saying that knowing this demo used the capabilities of the PS5 SSD you would need much larger games to get this type of fidelity. If you want to create something similar in actual games you'll have less date but use cheats to make that happen. Less data means that slower SSD's can also transfer this data, cheats means processing power (CPU, dedidacated hardware maybe?).

thurnishaleygw thurnishaleygw pointed me to that fact that it's not by Epic but another developer, which is true. I'll change my original post. But the content stays the same.

Article
“Are 30 hour games of that visual fidelity really possible?” Graff asks. “To that I would say no, at least not really. The main bottleneck and problem I see at the moment is memory. Storing all these ultra-high-poly models is likely not possible in a game that shouldn’t take up hundreds of GB of space. But of course all the techniques mentioned are still valid and developers are often able to perfect them to a degree where it’s impossible to see the difference between low and high poly model. So I’d say they’ll still play a role in next-generation game development, just not as important as they do now, and games that look like the tech demo could very well be possible, just not without all the little tricks and cheats game developers always come up with.”

Bo_Hazem

Banned
A couple of thoughts on the UE5/SSD/Loading times ordeal:

First of all, I am very much of the idea that the Series X is a phenomenal console, so bear with me here those of you who have a preference for Xbox, even if I seem to praise PS5 and as try to unravel my thoughts on all of this. And feel free to correct me where I may be wrong, I'm surely going to be wrong in some things.

This whole "games 30/40 hour games won't be able to look like the tech demo" thing is debatable. Debatable from the point of view that I would think the magnitude that would be of importance would be size of scenarios/map, number of assets, not necessarily hours of gameplay. Meaning, you could do a 40 hour game on a fairly small map. What's to take into consideration when thinking about number of assets and quality of those assets is not the duration of the story, but the scenario the story takes place at. But, for the sake of my next argument, I'll indulge on it. And it might very well be a true statement, of course, I'm merely saying that I don't think it was properly presented to make the point they wanted to make.

And still, UE5 has tailored its I/O subsystems with PS5 in mind.

Now, even after we accept that big worlds cannot be made in that level of detail, and therefore, the SSD advantage from PS5 over Series X is dimmed, does that actually mean that the only difference that we would be able to extract are loading times? That the PS5 SSD won't be able to provide anything of value over what Series X can do?

The answer to those questions lies on what it is, in my opinion, the big paradigm shift that the PS5 SSD introduces. It's not about graphics, it's not about LOD, it's about game design.

Meaning, you could potentially design games that do things that the Series X absolutely can't, because of its speed. Something based on incredibly fast traversing, or something that needs of that speed to change scenarios in a blink of an eye, to put a couple of examples.

And, of course, here I'm taking into consideration first party games too, not just games made on UE5, but the point stands, that as I said, the big paradigm shift PS5 offers is game design, not loading times, not graphics. Those are aspects the Series X improves upon too, but, giving developers freedom to think outside of the box and come up with new ideas on how to leverage that speed and the usage of the SSD? That's PS5 territory, and it builds upon creativity, which is something of the utmost importance to me.

This is all my opinion, of course, but just saying that lower loading times is all the PS5 SSD can do, I think is dead wrong.

giphy.gif

Sorry, man, I'm already pushing myself, I'll read it after I wake up.:lollipop_fearful:

So basically he is saying that knowing this demo used the capabilities of the PS5 SSD you would need much larger games to get this type of fidelity. If you want to create something similar in actual games you'll have less date but use cheats to make that happen. Less data means that slower SSD's can also transfer this data, cheats means processing power (CPU, dedidacated hardware maybe?).

thurnishaleygw thurnishaleygw pointed me to that fact that it's not by Epic but another developer, which is true. I'll change my original post. But the content stays the same.

Article
Why you did not include this part? ;)👇

Epic Games:
Those megascans assets are huge, and if we were only to use the non crunched down versions, I can’t even fathom how much hard drive space that would take up,” Abdullah tells me. “Though hopefully there is a solution to that too which we will see in time.

Ref:

thurnishaleygw thurnishaleygw
zaitsu zaitsu
FeiRR FeiRR
ethomaz ethomaz

Last edited:

SSfox

Future Games Show delay may hint at new PS5 reveal date

Future Games Show (initially slated for June 6th) has been postponed to June 13th!
We know this was going to show off Quantum Error gameplay which runs on the PS5.
Do we think this possibly hints at the PS5 event being before that by a couple of days? Considering it previously was before the Future Games Show by a couple of days before the postponement.

🤔

pfFcLz8.jpg

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
XBOX JAPAN CONFIRMS 2020 SERIES X LAUNCH AS IT ATTEMPTS TO DO ‘MUCH BETTER JOB’

The news was confirmed in a statement supplied to Famitsu, and represents an improved commitment compared to Xbox’s previous console, Xbox One, which arrived almost a year late in Japan compared to the West.

FeiRR

Banned
It's just another pole shift from the desperate who have little space left. If you pay close attention to what devs (including our own wonderful BGs BGs ) have been saying, this was much needed and welcomed by the industry as development costs just kept rising.

When you make an AAA game, engine development is a small team, sound design is a small team, etc. but graphics is done by a huge crowd (another crowd is game testers but that's another thing). Until the pandemic, people wanted to earn more every year so costs have been rising but games are still the same price as 10 years ago. That's why we get DLCs, season passes, in-game purchases, games as service and all that hidden crap. The new paradigm will allow every studio, from small to big, to cut costs on content creation.

If you realize that those impressive cave scenes in UE5 demo were created with 6 asset sets of rocks, you know that every dev studio out there is anxiously waiting to implement that technology. I read somewhere than a group of 20 people created this demo in half a year. Now take 500 people and give them 3 years, which is what most huge publishers do. Of course it doesn't scale linearly but also in both directions: assets can be reused, AI can be used to generate content like terrain, vegetation, weather. When you don't have to worry about baking light and textures into the scene, you are free to do other things.

When I look at Division 2 and how incredibly it depicts parts of two real cities, I can't wait to see what devs can do with new technology. Scanning of real life assets is huge and, when you don't have to spend hundreds of hours downsizing the results, will be even bigger.

I call that "games can't be that big" another FUD idea directly from a certain Discord channel. Games can be bigger than ever. Can they be more engaging than the usual 100-hour grind fests? That's up to their designers, not technology.

Last edited:
XBOX JAPAN CONFIRMS 2020 SERIES X LAUNCH AS IT ATTEMPTS TO DO ‘MUCH BETTER JOB’

The news was confirmed in a statement supplied to Famitsu, and represents an improved commitment compared to Xbox’s previous console, Xbox One, which arrived almost a year late in Japan compared to the West.

I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft is planning to release Xbox Series X on every market a week or two before PS5 just to get some initial advantage over Sony :pie_thinking:

https://www.digitimes.com/news/a20200603VL200.html
PS5 processor shipments to kick off in June, peak in 3Q20: Backend IC packaging and testing service providers will begin shipments of the customized SoCs designed by AMD specifically for PlayStation 5 (PS5) to their downstream partners in the week of June 7 with the momentum to ramp up steadily before peaking in late third quarter, according to supply chain sources.

PS5 online launch delay little affects upstream PCB shipments: Taiwan PCB and IC substrate makers in the supply chain of PlayStation 5 (PS5) will see their shipments remain unaffected despite Sony announcing a delay in a planned June 4 online launch of its next-generation home video game console, and are all actively preparing for related shipments, according to PCB supply chain sources.

kuncol02

Banned
Why would you need another store on PS5 to buy games? Pointless.
Did you ever heard about thing called "competiton"

No shit.

This statement leaves Microsoft and the Series X in a really bad position. Just imagine Phil Spencer reading this.

Tim Sweeney;
You know that's about PC architecture where every piece of data you want to put into graphic card memory need to be placed in system RAM first? XBox don't have that problem since 2 generations.

It doesn't mean anything, it's just some PR 'Me too'. PS4 also had dedicated audio hardware but it was just to decompress audio. For 3D audio you need plenty of power and MS never stated anywhere their audio hardware would be enough for that, because it won't. They'll need CPU time for anything power hungry like 3D or reverb effect etc.

Even Gameboy or 3DS has "dedicated audio hardware", it doesn't mean it's enough to process 3D audio or HTRF which needs tons of real-time processing. Only PS5 could be able to process HTRF (high quality 3D audio) or 3D effects like reverb and such for free in all games, even multiplat games.

<<“It’s extremely exciting,” senior sound designer Daniele Galante said of the new console. “We’re going to have a dedicated chip to work with audio, which means we finally won’t have to fight with programmers and artists for memory and CPU power.” >>
Who to believe? Some random guy on internet, or senior sound designer from MS internal studio?
3D audio accelerator is not new technology just invented by Sony. They existed on PC 20 years ago (Yes, we had hrtf based 3d audio in games in late 90s), but company which invented them was destroyed by CreativeLabs which sited since that on their patents. That's just first generation of consoles since these patents have expired.

TBiddy

Is it confirmed that XSX is using AMD’s TrueAudioNext for audio processing, or is that just a best guess?

We have no idea how the audio setup looks in the XSX. Bo_Hazem might claim otherwise, but the reality is that the only thing we know is that there is a "dedicated audio chip".

Edit:

Also worth noting that Atmos supports more than 32 sources, even though Bo_Hazem claims otherwise. It sounds like a personal vendetta, but it's certainly odd how much FUD is spread from certain users.

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
It's just another pole shift from the desperate who have little space left. If you pay close attention to what devs (including our own wonderful BGs BGs ) have been saying, this was much needed and welcomed by the industry as development costs just kept rising.

When you make an AAA game, engine development is a small team, sound design is a small team, etc. but graphics is done by a huge crowd (another crowd is game testers but that's another thing). Until the pandemic, people wanted to earn more every year so costs have been rising but games are still the same price as 10 years ago. That's why we get DLCs, season passes, in-game purchases, games as service and all that hidden crap. The new paradigm will allow every studio, from small to big, to cut costs on content creation.

If you realize that those impressive cave scenes in UE5 demo were created with 6 asset sets of rocks, you know that every dev studio out there is anxiously waiting to implement that technology. I read somewhere than a group of 20 people created this demo in half a year. Now take 500 people and give them 3 years, which is what most huge publishers do. Of course it doesn't scale linearly but also in both directions: assets can be reused, AI can be used to generate content like terrain, vegetation, weather. When you don't have to worry about baking light and textures into the scene, you are free to do other things.

When I look at Division 2 and how incredibly it depicts parts of two real cities, I can't wait to see what devs can do with new technology. Scanning of real life assets is huge and, when you don't have to spend hundreds of hours downsizing the results, will be even bigger.

I call that "games can't be that big" another FUD idea directly from a certain Discord channel. Games can be bigger than ever. Can they be more engaging than the usual 100-hour grind fests? That's up to their designers, not technology.
"wonderful"...

Wonderful is a wonderful word.

giphy.gif

If at the end of next week they have not yet presented the console, my feelings will stop being "wonderful".

:messenger_tears_of_joy:

splattered

So are we are literally looking at another ps3 era generation then for sony?

System is so advanced its going to cost much more than people are comfortable spending?

System is so advanced it *could* do some amazingly awesome things but may never actually be taken advantage of to its full potential?

Whats the point of the incredible speed breakthroughs if there are still other major bottlenecks holding us back from actually seeing it used to the full potential in large scale AAA games?

Are we just going to get a bunch of neat tech demo style mini games that take advantage of the speed tech but also eat up a huge amount of the hard drive? Weee!

This definitely feels like technology that was worth developing but not actually implementing into a console for the masses until mid gen refresh or possibly even a generation forward..

I'm sure some cool stuff will come from it but in the grand scheme of things it may never really amount to anything tangible until other areas in tech can catch up in future generation consoles.

Scorn dev very well may have been right with his diminishing returns statement.

Sorry im not really going to celebrate this tech when we could have gotten something a bit more conservative so its widely used and didnt make me fork over an extra $100 or $200 for nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom