• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I bet even after further research he still bungles the explanation. And that's not hard to do, as it's complex and requires a lot of reading to really figure it out. But isn't that what a tech YouTube channel should be doing? It's not like he was thrown up there and told to do the job. It's his own creation. I don't see the need to further harass him, tough. The point has been made, and he has acknowledged it, which in itself is commendable. Some would just ignore it and plough on as if nothing was said or happened.
I don't think this has earned him the right for a 1 on 1 interview with an actual tech giant that he previously implied was lying, though. There's enough information out there to understand the fundamentals without promoting your YouTube channel with some exclusive interview.

ksdixon

Lemme know if I've misunderstood stuff (which is likely lol)...

So the PS5 (devkit patent at least) has a giant V heatsink, double sided cooling for the components, "and" a liquid vapor chamber cooling system? Isn't this overkill?

Just how hot is this gonna run? And why? Have they overclocked all the components for some reason and are pushing them too hard, thus all the heat?

Its almost like people expect a fair tech assessment of a channel covering tech - without the necessity of downplaying, calling people liars and ridicule for people who were passionate/proud of their work :goog_unsure:

Its nice he admits faults, but wonder about the motivation behind it... Is it really about making it right - or saving face? In any case it could be resolved by covering this fairly (and actually researched) without Tim's involvement... that would make it more right, than to request a reset imho - which he says he's doing reading/watching material)

In a way both are the samething. If he is really making it right it will show in the future of his channel.

Matt was always on point with his posts regarding PS4 x X1 here on neoGAF.

That sums up this discussion pretty nicely.

XSXs SSD solution = very good
PS5s SSD solution = amazing

That's about it.
Exactly also another thing than he said and I saw as understandable (something here many us already said) is:

Some games will looks better in PS5 others in XSX.

This is not like PS4 vs Xbox one when one console win in almost all the spec sheet, if you game focus in use the streaming of
assets then PS5 will looks better if not XSX should look better.

In how big these differences will be this something which take years to understand and see, right now many studios have its engine
optimized for the old consoles, so this will be gradual for many them of course some first/second party can improve its engines
and methodology faster than a third company which needs to deliver for all the systems available (lets see what happens to first party of Xbox).

Last edited:

nosseman

So the PS5 (devkit patent at least) has a giant V heatsink, double sided cooling for the components, "and" a liquid vapor chamber cooling system? Isn't this overkill?

Just how hot is this gonna run? And why? Have they overclocked all the components for some reason and are pushing them too hard, thus all the heat?

What I have seen from the DevKit patent is does not mention the double sided cooling.

There is also only one heatsink. In one of the sides of the V there is the heatsink cooling the APU with 3 fans and in the other side of the V there is the PSU but that is not cooled with a heatsink - just 3 fans.

kretos

Banned
Would have been less than 20 minutes to go!
source.gif

Bryank75

Banned

No, they just want to blow Xbox away...

I'll show myself the door!

GRIEVEZ

I bet even after further research he still bungles the explanation. And that's not hard to do, as it's complex and requires a lot of reading to really figure it out. But isn't that what a tech YouTube channel should be doing? It's not like he was thrown up there and told to do the job. It's his own creation. I don't see the need to further harass him, tough. The point has been made, and he has acknowledged it, which in itself is commendable. Some would just ignore it and plough on as if nothing was said or happened.
I don't think this has earned him the right for a 1 on 1 interview with an actual tech giant that he previously implied was lying, though. There's enough information out there to understand the fundamentals without promoting your YouTube channel with some exclusive interview.

You are right, except he's not you or me.. he has a lot more resources at his disposal... while he might muck up the understanding (i'm not gonna pretend I know everything, thats why im reading up from various places).

He could consult his team for better understanding or the things he gets "stuck" on..

And I agree on the not further harassing. Like I said he made a mistake, he acknowledged it, now its up to him wether it's worth it to correct those mistakes or not

Madjako

I have a question for the tech guys.
Smartshift can help the GPU and tempest can help GPU (like the cell did on the ps3).
How much tf can you achieve with this 2 processors ?

6am AEST. Conference would have been a go.

Instead I'm sitting on the toilet browsing you sad saps. Not a big deal really.

#fuck2020

A bit off-topic, but when's the last time anyone went for a shit without a mobile phone and the internet? I did it accidentally the other day and it was rubbish. I didn't know what to do, and I don't know how people used to manage. Could just about reach a hand soap bottle to have a read of but it wasn't that interesting.

I have a question for the tech guys.
Smartshift can help the GPU and tempest can help GPU (like the cell did on the ps3).
How much tf can you achieve with this 2 processors ?

AMD SmartShift helps with Sony's fixed power target design by spending power where it's most needed. Both the CPU and GPU are on the same die anyway, so it's basically just deciding which part of the chip gets hot and allowing either the CPU or GPU to go higher than they'd otherwise be allowed to for the same cooling solution.

Tempest doesn't really help the GPU. It uses modified CUs and is likely resident in the GPU for scheduling work etc. It would help the GPU when compared to using something like AMD's True Audio Next, but only by virtue of not taking up CUs that could otherwise do graphics processing.

The teraflop figure thrown around relates to the theoretical GPU compute performance assuming all CUs are running at 100% occupancy at all times. AKA the mother of all burn tests.

Last edited:

Md Ray

You are right, except he's not you or me.. he has a lot more resources at his disposal... while he might muck up the understanding (i'm not gonna pretend I know everything, thats why im reading up from various places).

He could consult his team for better understanding or the things he gets "stuck" on..

And I agree on the not further harassing. Like I said he made a mistake, he acknowledged it, now its up to him wether it's worth it to correct those mistakes or not
He has always been condescending towards consoles on his channel. And most of his viewers are largely PC elitists as well, with the same mindset as his, showing ignorance as he did in the WAN show. And when you try to correct them this is the typical response you'd get: "consoles can never be better than my godly PC lul #pCmAsTeRrAcE hAhaaaHa you durty consul peasant".

Last edited:

Lunatic_Gamer

Gold Member
Former Frostbite Dev on PS5 Specs: ‘Disconnect Between Numbers And What It’s Capable of’

Yan Chernikov says that specifications mean nothing “until you can actually see that in practice.”

Yan Chernikov, a game engine developer who previously worked as a software engineer on DICE’s Frostbite engine, gave his thoughts on the console’s performance numbers in a recent YouTube video. He noted that, “I don’t generally like looking at numbers like this because in my experience, looking at clock speeds and frequencies and teraflops and all of that stuff, it’s fine and it might look good on paper.

“But when you actually start programming for that hardware and you start stress testing it and you have an actual full game that you’ve built up, which is a difficult thing to do, it’s not something you can get to within a few months of just having this new PS5 hardware.

“When you finally get to that stage you may notice problems and again numbers are fine, it’s cool it meets certain specifications. But to be honest, that means nothing until you can actually see that in practice. So, I don’t know…you know this is just my opinion and my thoughts. But when I look at these numbers, it’s very difficult for me to be like ‘Oh! though it is a lot better!’

That being said, when it comes to the solid-state drive, the numbers do offer something more concrete. “Like when I look at SSD space and it says 5 gigabytes a second or whatever like that that’s an amount that I’m sure that the console could sustain and I can actually you know picture myself streaming 5 gigabytes per second that’s like something tangible.

“But a clock speed and teraflop count, for me personally at least, is a little bit harder to look at that and be like ‘Oh, I can draw this many triangles, Oh I can make a game that suddenly supports this.’ Because until I start programming for that hardware and I see what other people have done and how sustainable it is and all of that stuff, it’s very difficult see kind of a specific upgrade in a particular department. Even though obviously the numbers are there but there’s a bit more of a disconnect I feel between those numbers and what’s actually capable of being achieved on that platform.”

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom