• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madjako

AMD SmartShift helps with Sony's fixed power target design by spending power where it's most needed. Both the CPU and GPU are on the same die anyway, so it's basically just deciding which part of the chip gets hot and allowing either the CPU or GPU to go higher than they'd otherwise be allowed to for the same cooling solution.

Tempest doesn't really help the GPU. It uses modified CUs and is likely resident in the GPU for scheduling work etc. It would help the GPU when compared to using something like AMD's True Audio Next, but only by virtue of not taking up CUs that could otherwise do graphics processing.

The teraflop figure thrown around relates to the theoretical GPU compute performance assuming all CUs are running at 100% occupancy at all times. AKA the mother of all burn tests.
Tks mate!

martino

Former Frostbite Dev on PS5 Specs: ‘Disconnect Between Numbers And What It’s Capable of’

Yan Chernikov says that specifications mean nothing “until you can actually see that in practice.”

Yan Chernikov, a game engine developer who previously worked as a software engineer on DICE’s Frostbite engine, gave his thoughts on the console’s performance numbers in a recent YouTube video. He noted that, “I don’t generally like looking at numbers like this because in my experience, looking at clock speeds and frequencies and teraflops and all of that stuff, it’s fine and it might look good on paper.

“But when you actually start programming for that hardware and you start stress testing it and you have an actual full game that you’ve built up, which is a difficult thing to do, it’s not something you can get to within a few months of just having this new PS5 hardware.

“When you finally get to that stage you may notice problems and again numbers are fine, it’s cool it meets certain specifications. But to be honest, that means nothing until you can actually see that in practice. So, I don’t know…you know this is just my opinion and my thoughts. But when I look at these numbers, it’s very difficult for me to be like ‘Oh! though it is a lot better!’

That being said, when it comes to the solid-state drive, the numbers do offer something more concrete. “Like when I look at SSD space and it says 5 gigabytes a second or whatever like that that’s an amount that I’m sure that the console could sustain and I can actually you know picture myself streaming 5 gigabytes per second that’s like something tangible.

“But a clock speed and teraflop count, for me personally at least, is a little bit harder to look at that and be like ‘Oh, I can draw this many triangles, Oh I can make a game that suddenly supports this.’ Because until I start programming for that hardware and I see what other people have done and how sustainable it is and all of that stuff, it’s very difficult see kind of a specific upgrade in a particular department. Even though obviously the numbers are there but there’s a bit more of a disconnect I feel between those numbers and what’s actually capable of being achieved on that platform.”

Is it the cherno ?
edit: must have clicked...

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
Don't do this...

LP4zbis.png

Poor cat, couldn´t handle it no more!
IZMMDAg.jpg

Neo Blaster

I think the delay for the PS5 event may be a blessing in disguise, you see a lot of the developers spend hours and even days on creating a demo for a game which has only completed 50% of its production. They have to hyper focus on the demo to ensure it doesn't crash, doesn't have glitches and is refined.

For all we know, there could have been PS5 exclusives which were not scheduled to be in todays event that will be featured in the next one because they may have had more time to come up with a demo or even finish completing it. Just speculation.
Nah, some gameplay is still better than none. Those games not ready for today's presentation would be shown in the next one on August anyway.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Guys I would recommend to stop spreading his shit. He's obviously someone that dosn't take his "Job" seriously. He was talking pure bullshit and spreading lies and fud. Why would anyone believe anything this guy says ever again? Why bother with such an idiot/asshole thats spreading fake news to his community?
Generating clicks and views seems whats important for him. Like so many magazins,, tv shows, newssites and so on. This has to stop. And we have to stop paying such idiots attention.

Nah, people make mistakes, Linus makes less mistakes and is usually informative..
If I stop paying attention to him then I should also stop paying attention to Tim Sweeny and Cerny because they have fucked up just as hard.

farmerboy

A bit off-topic, but when's the last time anyone went for a shit without a mobile phone and the internet? I did it accidentally the other day and it was rubbish. I didn't know what to do, and I don't know how people used to manage. Could just about reach a hand soap bottle to have a read of but it wasn't that interesting.

Its about the only quality time I get on my own😂

Lethal01

Former Frostbite Dev on PS5 Specs: ‘Disconnect Between Numbers And What It’s Capable of’

Yan Chernikov says that specifications mean nothing “until you can actually see that in practice.”

Yan Chernikov, a game engine developer who previously worked as a software engineer on DICE’s Frostbite engine, gave his thoughts on the console’s performance numbers in a recent YouTube video. He noted that, “I don’t generally like looking at numbers like this because in my experience, looking at clock speeds and frequencies and teraflops and all of that stuff, it’s fine and it might look good on paper.

“But when you actually start programming for that hardware and you start stress testing it and you have an actual full game that you’ve built up, which is a difficult thing to do, it’s not something you can get to within a few months of just having this new PS5 hardware.

“When you finally get to that stage you may notice problems and again numbers are fine, it’s cool it meets certain specifications. But to be honest, that means nothing until you can actually see that in practice. So, I don’t know…you know this is just my opinion and my thoughts. But when I look at these numbers, it’s very difficult for me to be like ‘Oh! though it is a lot better!’

That being said, when it comes to the solid-state drive, the numbers do offer something more concrete. “Like when I look at SSD space and it says 5 gigabytes a second or whatever like that that’s an amount that I’m sure that the console could sustain and I can actually you know picture myself streaming 5 gigabytes per second that’s like something tangible.

“But a clock speed and teraflop count, for me personally at least, is a little bit harder to look at that and be like ‘Oh, I can draw this many triangles, Oh I can make a game that suddenly supports this.’ Because until I start programming for that hardware and I see what other people have done and how sustainable it is and all of that stuff, it’s very difficult see kind of a specific upgrade in a particular department. Even though obviously the numbers are there but there’s a bit more of a disconnect I feel between those numbers and what’s actually capable of being achieved on that platform.”

Yep, Usually "means nothing" just mean that while they are generally indicative of what to expect there is still a shot load more to it. Clear to anyone who actually read everything the devs say but there will be tons of people who see a dev say that then say the difference in specs is meaningless whenever they aern't happy about it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Nah, people make mistakes, Linus makes less mistakes and is usually informative..
If I stop paying attention to him then I should also stop paying attention to Tim Sweeny and Cerny because they have fucked up just as hard.

When did Cerny fuck shit up? Very curious about this because most of the things dating back a few gens he talked about he was on point even his 4k talk when he was was talking about all around the board native 4k all the time.

sircaw

Banned

I was put of the way in which Linus reacted. IT was almost as he was in glee at trying to downplay or dismiss what Sony and Cerny have in the offering.

I really expected better from someone of his standing and following.
Tbh i thought the way he conducted himself was beyond pathetic.

It's good that he has apologised, time will tell if he learns from it.

Last edited:

Lethal01

When did Cerny fuck shit up? Very curious about this because most of the things dating back a few gens he talked about he was on point even his 4k talk when he was was talking about all around the board native 4k all the time.

I could give examples for TIm Sweeny but honestly I'm hazy on Cerny so just disregard that.
General point is that we've seen game devs and head of these companies fuck up but it would be dumb to act like everything they say is now a lie.

You should take things with a grain of salt and think for your own in general because people are gonna fuck up sometimes.

Dee_Dee

Is the YouTube app on PS4 ever gonna get fixed or.....

I’m lowkey gettin annoyed that it still isn’t working properly

Last edited:

Cyborg

There is a video about this...

hemo memo

No they didn’t. Go watch Linus video again. It was like someone insulted his family. Brought a very expensive SSD to show on camera instead of watching Cerny talk and be more informed on the topic.

FeiRR

Banned
Hey he/she was my first ignored gaffer.
I have no idea why that ban was requested if anyone can enlighten me.
And I hope that Sony will unveil the new ps5 event date tomorrow and that it will be soon.

I think it will to avoid as much leak as possible.
Do you mean Matt? He's one of the most reliable insiders on forums. It's a pity he's not anymore around here. I wonder why Ree has some real deal guys, yet at the same time I'm happy we have BGs and Heisenberg.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Do you mean Matt? He's one of the most reliable insiders on forums. It's a pity he's not anymore around here. I wonder why Ree has some real deal guys, yet at the same time I'm happy we have BGs and Heisenberg.
Oh no Matt is a good guy and even if he has more Xbox news, I consider him to be quite objective when he talks and the few times I spoke to him on era were very informative.

No I meant lady bernacle I don't remember the name with which constructive discussion was impossible.

I do miss Matt here and our treasure CBOAT.

Edit: Just checked and the name was Lady Bernkastel

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
VG24/7:Epic rewrite I/O subsystem with PS5 SSD in mind

Matt started posting from page 14 onwards. Noticed that some members who tried downplay PS5 I/O immediately dissapeared when Matt showed up

Thanks for this I stopped going to tht cesspool awhile ago

This quote from Matt is great:

"There are certainly things developers can do with the PS5 that can’t be done the same, as fast, or as well on any other consumer hardware at the moment. That’s also a fact.

The PS5’s IO is a big deal that will lead to actual results in games"

We got another one, now this is lopsided, almost everyone on neutral ground and even devs tht work for both companies are saying this. Only ppl tht are not saying this are personalities we already know are biased and full on trolls.

Last edited:

Kerlurk

Banned
Is the YouTube app on PS4 ever gonna get fixed or.....

I’m lowkey gettin annoyed that it still isn’t working properly

A thread has to be made on this. I thought it would be something that would be fixed within 24 hours, but nope, and can't believe how long this is taking.

Problem: Error code NP-37602-8, when you try to log in to the Youtube app on the PS4.

One way to get around it, and have access to your Youtube profile, is to select Youtube on your phone, make sure the Youtube app on the PS4 has been restarted, and select cast video on your phone, and select your PS4. Never knew that existed until the other day.

Last edited:

Lethal01

No they didn’t. Go watch Linus video again. It was like someone insulted his family. Brought a very expensive SSD to show on camera instead of watching Cerny talk and be more informed on the topic.

I watched it, I'm talking in terms of spreading wrong information, not being a dick.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Wtf is Sony doing?? Era mod is confirming reports that blooodborne is coming to pc.

Sony losing its exclusives to pc is the dumbest thing I've seen since ms took their exclusives to pc. Only dumber because ms owns Windows and has their own store.

Wtf is Sony doing? The good thing is that i don't have to buy their weak ass 10 tflops gpu and go with a 3080 to run games at 4k 60 fps on day one but this is a bad business decision.

Last edited:

FranXico

Wtf is Sony doing?? Era mod is confirming reports that blooodborne is coming to pc.

Sony losing its exclusives to pc is the dumbest thing I've seen since ms took their exclusives to pc. Only dumber because ms owns Windows and has their own store.

Wtf is Sony doing? The good thing is that i don't have to buy their weak ass 10 tflops gpu and go with a 3080 to run games at 4k 60 fps on day one but this is a bad business decision.
Bloodborne first came out 4 years ago.

Dee_Dee

A thread has to be made on this. I thought it would be something that would be fixed within 24 hours, but nope, and can't believe how long this is taking.

Problem: Error code NP-37602-8, when you try to log in to the Youtube app on the PS4.

One way to get around it, and have access to your Youtube profile, is to select Youtube on your phone, make sure the Youtube app on the PS4 has been restarted, and select cast video on your phone, and select your PS4. Never knew that existed until the other day.

Yea I also thought that this would be a quick fix. Been casting from my phone but I always forget that I need to do that lol

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

They are releasing older games on PC that will have a sequel on PS5. It's actually pretty smart, because if you liked their PS4 games on PC, you are more likely to buy a PS5 to play the sequel. Otherwise you'll have to wait many years before you can play HZD2 or Bloodborne 2.

sircaw

Banned

It's a good idea, Sales/ money from that game has dried up, you can pick it up for 10 bucks in a sale.
Sell it on pc for 50 bucks a pop and fund us a sequel for ps5.

SlimySnake

They are releasing older games on PC that will have a sequel on PS5. It's actually pretty smart, because if you liked their PS4 games on PC, you are more likely to buy a PS5 to play the sequel. Otherwise you'll have to wait many years before you can play HZD2 or Bloodborne 2.
but thats how it starts. Look up Phil Spencer tweets when Gears 4 made it to windows. he was all baghdad bobbing it saying its only one game. Herman did the same thing. and now just a couple of months later, we are going to get another ps exclusive show up on pc. this one didnt even get a pro patch.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
but thats how it starts. Look up Phil Spencer tweets when Gears 4 made it to windows. he was all baghdad bobbing it saying its only one game. Herman did the same thing. and now just a couple of months later, we are going to get another ps exclusive show up on pc. this one didnt even get a pro patch.
Well even if that's so, I'm on the side of gamers not companies. So I can only see this as a win for gamers. More choice is better for us.

gfovARZ.gif

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned

You can play Bloodborne on PC right now, all you have to do is set up a PlayStation Now account and start a free trial. That has been the case for almost two years.

I really don't see a huge difference between paying Sony to rent a game on PC or paying them to own it in a more stable manner.

xacto

That's how it starts what? Really, what? I totally agree with more people having access to games. You don't own that game. Buy it if you want, play it on your platform of choice and carry on.

SlimySnake

Well even if that's so, I'm on the side of gamers not companies. So I can only see this as a win for gamers. More choice is better for us.
thats a short sighted view of things. Did putting games on PC make xbox exclusives better? quality wise or in general? i think exclusives designed for the sole purpose of selling a console has that much more incentive to be amazing. the game HAS to be good because it HAS to sell that console. it's the reason why Ubisoft, EA and Activision can churn out mediocre AC, COD and Battlefield games year after year because they know people on various different platforms will buy it anyway. they put the bare minimum effort and call it a day.

Where as sony had to count on their own console base to sell a decent number of units. Now they dont have to. All this good for gamers logic is flawed because in the end, a mediocre game isnt going to be good for gamers.

Exclusives define quality more than ever. Look at the GOTY award counts for the last 10 years. The last four years have been exclusives. 7 exclusives overall. We have seen games get watered down as they go to different platforms. if this happens with Sony exclusives, its going to be a miserable fucking future for Sony fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom