• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gamernyc78

Banned
June 4th was definitely an interesting date. This reddit post and the devkit patent publication date all happened on June 4th.

Yup, I think Sony were going to go all out in general and make a big splash during that presentation. They want this to go perfect with all eyes on them hence us still waiting for another date. I have a feeling we will all leave after watching their presentation, happy and hyped asf.

Last edited:

New trademark updates. Might be nothing but might be in preparation of showing something. If tht demo tht was shown a few years ago is what's in store for ps5 I'd be in fucking heaven.

It does not seem like a coincidence tbh... there's a little too much smoke for there to be no fire at all.
I just hope they don't start delaying GT like they were doing through the ps3 and ps4 gens.

Neo Blaster

PS4 5.5GB GDDR5; needs to hold next 30 seconds of data in RAM
PS5 13.5GB GDDR6; needs to hold next 1 second of data in RAM

That plus the massive leap in CPU/GPU ability...

When we see what Playstation Studios was capable of producing during the current generation... let's just say I'm excited to see what jewels they produce.
Now just try to picture image quality and graphical fidelity in such delta for just a second of gameplay...

giphy.gif

Md Ray

When was the last time Sony had a major event showcasing big exclusive titles, and announcements, again? Was it E3, PSX? Which year?

Last I remember was E3 2016 Sony conference. It was freakin' legendary and then followed by PSX 2016 (TLOU P2 announcement).

Last edited:

icerock

When was the last time Sony had a major event showcasing big exclusive titles, and announcements, again? Was it E3, PSX? Which year?

Last I remember was E3 2016 Sony conference. It was freakin' legendary and then followed by PSX 2016 (TLOU P2 announcement).

PGW 2017, they announced Ghost of Tshushima. It also had new trailers for Spider-Man, Detroit, God of War and TLOUII.

But yeah, they haven't announced a big AAA production for almost 3 years now. They are bound to drop some bombs in the reveal event, which is why, the wait is excruciating.

New trademark updates. Might be nothing but might be in preparation of showing something. If tht demo tht was shown a few years ago is what's in store for ps5 I'd be in fucking heaven (in native 4k obviously)

People talk about how the controller and SSD will be great for open world games but I think this new architecture will shine in GT... tracks environments are quite predictable in the way assets will stream so the devs I think will maximize geometry and track detail in an unprecedented levels.. all will be packed with beautiful ultra realistic details and effects... no need for native 4K.. I will be quite pleased if they do 60 FPS 1440p reconstructed to 4K...

And I do not even want to imagine what they can accomplish with the tempest engine...

The perfect driving experience will melt faces :)

On a side note seeing how the other shows delays are happening I think all is aligning for a next week Sony show... Monday announcement and Thursday show...

Gamernyc78

Banned
People talk about how the controller and SSD will be great for open world games but I think this new architecture will shine in GT... tracks environments are quite predictable in the way assets will stream so the devs I think will maximize geometry and track detail in an unprecedented levels.. all will be packed with beautiful ultra realistic details and effects... no need for native 4K.. I will be quite pleased if they do 60 FPS 1440p reconstructed to 4K...

And I do not even want to imagine what they can accomplish with the tempest engine...

The perfect driving experience will melt faces :)

On a side note seeing how the other shows delays are happening I think all is aligning for a next week Sony show... Monday announcement and Thursday show...

I agree thy will use gt as a showcase for the SSD i/o implementation. I'm going to get it day one!!!!

Marlenus

This is a non-sequitur.

Clock speed is independent of power consumption by concept.

I'm not sure if you're describing how Xsex or PS5 works in the second sentence, but they're both incorrect descriptions of those consoles.

Higher clocks require more power, this is always true within a given architecture. Two different architectures will have different voltage frequency curves but as clock speed increases so will power consumption.

Razvedka

Banned
So I have a question that I haven't seen really talked about much or addressed.

Sony has been dinking around with clever upscaling techniques for years now, well before Nvidia started using A.I. for DLSS. Granted, Sony's checkerboard solution isn't doing any sort of clever A.I. crunching, but the idea of trying to get a lower quality image to appear as though it's being rendered at a higher resolution has been part of their bag for a long time.

Does anybody know if the PS5 is packing such dedicated silicon? Even if it's something by AMD for option akin to DLSS? How about the XSX?

Because I could completely see Sony, or MS if they were interested, 'natively rendering games' at like 2K and just clever upscaling them up to 4k this generation. To be honest I'd be ok with it if the results are decent (DLSS 2.0 has made me a believer) especially if it means more raytracing, higher framerates, or better effects.

DaGwaphics

Because I could completely see Sony, or MS if they were interested, 'natively rendering games' at like 2K and just clever upscaling them up to 4k this generation. To be honest I'd be ok with it if the results are decent (DLSS 2.0 has made me a believer) especially if it means more raytracing, higher framerates, or better effects.

I haven't seen anything mentioned about dedicated hardware akin to tensor cores. RDNA2 (RNDA 1 ?) does allow for efficient use of 8/4bit calculations, that would make these techniques less "expensive".

Andodalf

Banned
So I have a question that I haven't seen really talked about much or addressed.

Sony has been dinking around with clever upscaling techniques for years now, well before Nvidia started using A.I. for DLSS. Granted, Sony's checkerboard solution isn't doing any sort of clever A.I. crunching, but the idea of trying to get a lower quality image to appear as though it's being rendered at a higher resolution has been part of their bag for a long time.

Does anybody know if the PS5 is packing such dedicated silicon? Even if it's something by AMD for option akin to DLSS? How about the XSX?

Don’t think we’ve heard much from Sony on it, but I wouldn’t be surprised if they include ML support in the form of i4 and i8 maths to go with the existing FP16 support. XSX is confirmed to have it, but it apparently isn’t a part of the RDNA 2 standard, so who knows. Standard Checker boarding is pretty out of vogue at this point, as other better systems have come along, mostly DLSS but also other improved Temporal injection/reconstruction techniques which can really be seen as evolutions of checkerboarding. And honestly with great TAA solutions like TLOU 2, idk if reconstruction would really be much of an improvement.

To be honest I can’t see why MS wouldn’t use it if the technology is available to them.

I suppose there could be architectural, PSU or customer hardware reasons what they aren’t implementing it but if there no reason not to, mate as well flick it on.
Without variable frequencies Smatshift is only useful to save power and they already said they have locked frequencies.

Last edited:

the_master

Now just try to picture image quality and graphical fidelity in such delta for just a second of gameplay...

giphy.gif
Sounds great, but remember that it all stills need to be rendered.
This will be great for variety and geometry detail, but gameplay logic, physics, animation, AI etc... still needs to be processed in the cpu, and all this hi detail models and textures still need to be projected and shaded, all the lights and shadows computed, etc... by the graphics card.
I mean we are talking about something potentially and probably revolutionary, but not for a substitute of everything else.
I am still very hyped about this model shift.

Games Dean

They are "letting other voices be heard right now".....because those voices would likely overshadow their precious PS5 event (ehh, I guess....but probably won't matter much at all in the grand scheme of things had they gone ahead and shown the event on friday).
You are delusional. Their statement was right as it stood. If they had the event, it'd be the only top things trending. Plus the marketing machine for all the games that were announced would kick up. Assuming they were going to show the console means even more attention. All taking away from the protests. Its pretty clear where your stance is but you're twisting the facts because of how bad you want to watch an hour long commercial. It'll come when it comes. Move on.

hemo memo

Gold Member
You are delusional. Their statement was right as it stood. If they had the event, it'd be the only top things trending. Plus the marketing machine for all the games that were announced would kick up. Assuming they were going to show the console means even more attention. All taking away from the protests. Its pretty clear where your stance is but you're twisting the facts because of how bad you want to watch an hour long commercial. It'll come when it comes. Move on.

Please tell me this is sarcasm. They are not Apple and this is not the launch of the new iPhone.

Games Dean

You can tell a lot about someone during all of this by what words they use to describe what’s going on at the moment, and which parts of it they choose to reference or ignore.
There are protests happening around the world at the moment as you say, most of it peaceful, some of it involving rioting, some of it involving opportunistic looting in the US. There’s also a lot of violence being directed at people doing nothing but using their voice and exercising their right to assembly, which is brain-dead ironic considering a large part of the protest is about police brutality.

I get that this is a gaming forum, but anyone constantly whinging because they don’t get to watch some fucking video game commercials at the moment while referring to what’s happening as merely rioting or looting, or implying Sony or Microsoft or whoever of being stupid for not running a marketing campaign because of rioting or looting is really being selfishly ignorant at best. Immediate additions to the ignore list. Nothing lost whatsoever.

Running a marketing campaign during the boiling point of these international demonstrations and protests for equality and humane treatment would be beyond tone deaf. There was no choice.

I’m lucky in that these issues don’t affect me as much as others because of how I look and where I live. Because of that I was admittedly gutted when the event got postponed, but sometimes shit happens and there are more important things in life.

I have sympathy for people frustrated that the event got delayed and that we’re left guessing as to what comes next. Zero sympathy for those toxic people on all gaming forums right now that channel that frustration into belittling or misrepresenting what’s going on, and more than that think it was a stupid move by gaming companies to just hold for a moment.

Not replying to you because I think you disagree but because it looks like your message was perhaps in reply to someone with nothing better to do than howl about it and point fingers instead of just accepting that it’s shit and we have no idea which is also shit.
Great post friend. Never used the ignore feature before but it's looking awful inviting for some folks right now.

hemo memo

Gold Member
In what way was anything I said wrong. Please enlighten me.

If they had the event, it'd be the only top things trending. Plus the marketing machine for all the games that were announced would kick up. Assuming they were going to show the console means even more attention. All taking away from the protests.

This. You are talking about a reveal of a video game console having an effect on a country wide protest.

Here you go

Games Dean

This. You are talking about a reveal of a video game console having an effect on a country wide protest.
You're completely misinterpreting what I'm saying. Sony said they didn't want to take away from "Important Voices". A lot of this protest is being spread and communicated through social media. If Sony had the event on Thursday. Terms relating to the event would be trending for the rest of Thursday and probably into the weekend. That takes attention away from the protests. They didn't want to do that.

Now I'm not saying that Sony is completely altruistic but I am saying that what they said about why they were cancelling the event was true.

SSfox

New trademark updates. Might be nothing but might be in preparation of showing something. If tht demo tht was shown a few years ago is what's in store for ps5 I'd be in fucking heaven (in native 4k obviously)

gettyimages-652488.jpg

GT7 for PS5 launch would be so damn good.

It's crazy to think that it's the first new Canon GT game since 7 years

I don't care about cars games, but each GT release is something truly special (to me at least) and make me excited like a little girl!!!

You better deliver Kazu, been waiting for this for a while now!! Can't wait!!!

NaturalAstonishingBoilweevil-max-1mb.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom