• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

HAL-01

You can tell a lot about someone during all of this by what words they use to describe what’s going on at the moment, and which parts of it they choose to reference or ignore.
There are protests happening around the world at the moment as you say, most of it peaceful, some of it involving rioting, some of it involving opportunistic looting in the US. There’s also a lot of violence being directed at people doing nothing but using their voice and exercising their right to assembly, which is brain-dead ironic considering a large part of the protest is about police brutality.

I get that this is a gaming forum, but anyone constantly whinging because they don’t get to watch some fucking video game commercials at the moment while referring to what’s happening as merely rioting or looting, or implying Sony or Microsoft or whoever of being stupid for not running a marketing campaign because of rioting or looting is really being selfishly ignorant at best. Immediate additions to the ignore list. Nothing lost whatsoever.

Running a marketing campaign during the boiling point of these international demonstrations and protests for equality and humane treatment would be beyond tone deaf. There was no choice.

I’m lucky in that these issues don’t affect me as much as others because of how I look and where I live. Because of that I was admittedly gutted when the event got postponed, but sometimes shit happens and there are more important things in life.

I have sympathy for people frustrated that the event got delayed and that we’re left guessing as to what comes next. Zero sympathy for those toxic people on all gaming forums right now that channel that frustration into belittling or misrepresenting what’s going on, and more than that think it was a stupid move by gaming companies to just hold for a moment.

Not replying to you because I think you disagree but because it looks like your message was perhaps in reply to someone with nothing better to do than howl about it and point fingers instead of just accepting that it’s shit and we have no idea which is also shit.
Sadly for some people videogames are their life so they’ll be hostile towards whatever real life events interfere with them. We’ve seen it before when Nintendo delayed a direct due to a natural disaster and fanboys kept whining about it

I’m 99% sure they’ll announce the new date on Monday and it’ll be either next Friday or Saturday, so everyone please chill out until then

Ptarmiganx2

Let's not talk about wired headphones or any wires in that matter. That's one thing why I'm going full wireless, although I prefer wired headsets. Get pulled all the time. :lollipop_fearful:

And fuck InWin easy-access PC case, she always opens that shit.:lollipop_downcast_sweat:

But you know, those little devils are still cute.:messenger_grinning_sweat:

I have a 7 month old daughter at home.. I now game with 99 dollar headphones while my audio equipment collects dust...This after I justified to my wife why I needed to spend 26k on subwoofers last year.

Dee_Dee

Sadly for some people videogames are their life so they’ll be hostile towards whatever real life events interfere with them. We’ve seen it before when Nintendo delayed a direct due to a natural disaster and fanboys kept whining about it

I’m 99% sure they’ll announce the new date on Monday and it’ll be either next Friday or Saturday, so everyone please chill out until then
Has there ever been an event like this on a Saturday? I was actually thinking earlier how come that doesn’t happen...I would think that would be a good day since a lot of people are off work. I guess a negative would be that news outlets won’t talk about it but we live in the social media age now. Think it wouldn’t matter

Sinthor

Gold Member
So every protester= violent looter? Nice work you’ve done there. Maybe I should post a bunch of links that have shown peaceful demonstrations. Or let me post about the lady that died from tear gas, or the police pushing a 75 year old bleeding from his skull and is critical condition. Or articles of protesters getting drive by peppered sprayed even though they weren’t agitating or blocking any streets. How bout the videos of protesters yelling at agitators or physically stopping them from destroying property. Guessing you conveniently didn’t see those.

If you can’t tell the difference between a protester and a looter then that’s your problem.

Jesus, dude, ease up. Where did I say protester equals looter AT ALL? You need to climb down off that high horse before you get thrown and hurt your little bottom. YOU said that all the violence was last weekend and that there haven't been riots since, which is patently false as there have been riots EVERY NIGHT SINCE THEN. I simply provided you one example and if you read that link, it's not even JUST about what happened to one person...it was about the RIOT and LOOTING that he was hurt during. A night where also four police officers were shot. Read my other longer post. There is a big difference between peaceful protest and riot. So again, do some research before you spout out such BS. Or open your eyes, whichever works. That's all I was saying. Your straw man of "so every protestor=violent looter" is lame, lame, lame. Won't work. Not what I said. Have a good evening!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Has there ever been an event like this on a Saturday? I was actually thinking earlier how come that doesn’t happen...I would think that would be a good day since a lot of people are off work. I guess a negative would be that news outlets won’t talk about it but we live in the social media age now. Think it wouldn’t matter

Yeah, no way they make an announcement or give a date on the weekend. I'll be surprised honestly if we hear ANYTHING even this coming week. I think NEXT week. I hope they do it sooner but that's what I'm expecting at this point.

MAYBE we get more clarity on the BB remaster or something this coming week? Maybe? I dunno, we'll see.

HAL-01

Not often, however given their original plans are kaput their priority now is to target the earliest date that’s sensibly possible. I’m sure they don’t want the other game announcements set after the 15th to get ahead of them, so that’s why my prediction is around the 12-13th

Dee_Dee

Not often, however given their original plans are kaput their priority now is to target the earliest date that’s sensibly possible. I’m sure they don’t want the other game announcements set after the 15th to get ahead of them, so that’s why my prediction is around the 12-13th
Oh yea didn’t even think about all the other events that got pushed back a week or so. 🤔 I’ll go with an announcement being made on Monday and the event happening on either the 11th or 12th.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
About which hardware the XSS ?
Possibly, or just about the XSX. Discussed in more details, OS and stuff like that. They were going to do an event every month until launch and showed a calendar, everything was filled in except the month June. Which is why everyone expected a hardware event then.

ArcaneNLSC

tenor.gif

A surprise mechanic no one saw coming
tenor.gif

Last edited:

kensama

That’s almost as bad as the Twitter warriors saying Unreal Engine 5 wont run on Xbox or PC 😂

Nobody said that except MS's fanboys discord gang to try to spread FUD.
Everybody is saying what Sweeney told only that and Sweeney said:

To be clear UE5 can run everywhere yep but for each platform specificity you will not able to get the same fidelity (even with XSX) due to demo done to take full advantage of the SSD of the PS5.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nobody said that except MS's fanboys discord gang to try to spread FUD.
Everybody is saying what Sweeney told only that and Sweeney said:

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...xt-gen-unreal-engine-running-on-playstation-5

To be clear UE5 can run everywhere yep but for each platform specificity you will not able to get the same fidelity (even with XSX) due to demo done to take full advantage of the SSD of the PS5.
It is often the case in this call to “what about” tactic where there is always the PS fanboy in this SonyGAF conspiracy that says all awful things to balance the ones these individuals are saying or doing... no quote is offered, no link... nothing.. but apparently GAF is full of it and those justify the FUD being spread...

Madjako

I’m really happy that PlayStation is dominating the gaming market like no other, now some of you may say “Hey stop being a fanboy” & things like that.

But when you really think about it, Sony is doing something that we all really want, yeah they may have imperfections here and there, but what they say always is that they are committed to bringing out AAA single player (and even Multiplayer too) experiences & exclusives so that they’ll stay 100% “committed to dedicated hardware” and look at how they keep pushing gaming forward with graphical quality, cinematics, motion-capture and just overall gameplay fidelity and polish that only them (especially Naughty Dog) and (Rockstar Games) can do with TLOU 2 looks to be pushing ahead of Rockstar’s efforts, look at how The Last of Us Part 2 is going to be, a benchmark in graphics, animations and attention-to-detail, it’ll be a masterpiece I know that for a fact, just read all the latest previews about the game, they are praising like it’s the best game ever!

Now whereas with Microsoft, they just don’t seem to know what they’ll be doing or what direction they’re taking, you’ll find them wanting to please “everyone” or the “BILLIONS of gamers around the world” and mobile devices and all that, this would result in them not satisfying the console gamers who built their Xbox brand to what it is now, now they’re making Game Pass, and the fact that they put their exclusives day and date in that service is really making a disservice to their games, which degrades the quality and the overall ambitions of what their games are trying to achieve.

Sony said that “putting our exclusives day and date” on PS Now service would degrade their quality and would make them less ambitious, because think about it, making a huge AAA game without MP (meaning no milking of context nor Microtransactions) like Horizon Zero Dawn or The Last of Us Part II and putting those huge ass games onto Game Pass service DAY ONE would result in massive losses, because many people would just subscribe for that service to play those games once and then be done with those games, it’s like you’ve played Horizon & TLOU 2 for $10 only, that would result in huge losses.

I have another example, what if there are so many games on a $10 subscription service but the top 10 games are dominating that service, then the lesser played games will not be able to survive and won’t get any revenue because they’re games ain’t doing shit in the “most played games”.

That’s why I hate Xbox’s approach and hate Game Pass, fuck their pathetic approach, it would make games feel like mobile games, or filled with MP microtransactions and DLCs and all that shit, or maybe walking simulators just like Hellblade 2 using Unreal Engine 5’s asset flips, so no cost in development really, in 4 or 5 hour game, that’s your Hellblade 2 game on Game Pass.

That sucks!

I want your guys’ opinions on this.
I totally agree with you.
MS approach is "we have the bigger gun", whereas Sony's approach is "we have the best game". That is more than enough for me to choose the playstation every gen.

TLZ

Banned
PS4 5.5GB GDDR5; needs to hold next 30 seconds of data in RAM
PS5 13.5GB GDDR6; needs to hold next 1 second of data in RAM

That plus the massive leap in CPU/GPU ability...

When we see what Playstation Studios was capable of producing during the current generation... let's just say I'm excited to see what jewels they produce.
I'm more excited for all the customizations actually.

Possibly, or just about the XSX. Discussed in more details, OS and stuff like that. They were going to do an event every month until launch and showed a calendar, everything was filled in except the month June. Which is why everyone expected a hardware event then.
XSX is until August but I will not expect any new big new, just more technical details for devs.

If they show something this month probably be the XSS, XCloud or some third parties.

Alright, cut the bullshit people. I know this is a gaming forum and people keep saying that, but also use that cover to try to be slick and slide their politics in there as well, casting aspersions on people's character supposedly because of "the words they use to describe what's going on at the moment," and so on. That's bullshit. You can't tell ANYTHING about a person from a few posts on an internet forum, especially when people are blowing off steam. That's like saying someone is a bad person because they're ignoring a government announced curfew while holding a sign up that says "Fuck the police." It's just silly.

So for those of you who live where all of this going on doesn't affect you much..... good for you!

There are legitimate protests, but EVERY NIGHT so far, there is flat out criminal looting, arson, people are being beaten, people are being killed. Police and innocent civilians too. Just in the US, even. I've seen some of this in Sweden and I'm sure other places as well. You can't conflate the protests with THAT activity, but the looting and rioting IS stemming from many of those protests and using them as cover, unfortunately.

I happen to live in an area affected by these so called peaceful protests that have been anything but, so I've seen some of this with my own Mark I eyeballs.

BadBreathOfTheWild BadBreathOfTheWild I agree with you about the bellyaching about the delay though. Sony and other companies would have had the SJW's and others all over them if they'd gone forward with their plans and honestly, it was the polite and right thing to do to delay things anyway. NOT because of the protests, although that's why the companies did it of course, but just because of the human decency factor.

What we NEED is to have people as families get together and stop their families from contributing to the criminal behavior. Join the legitimate protests instead. We were all united that what happened to George Floyd was evil and we all agreed something needed to be done. We need to get back to THAT and not let these cynical MANIPULATORS behind the violence bend the whole thing to THEIR OWN purposes. That is what they WANT because it further divides us. It pushes the conversation AWAY from what happened and the issues that need fixing. Qualified immunity for one thing- I think it needs to go. But anyway, don't want to get more into the politics here.

Everyone needs to get over the delays. They happened. We'll know more when we know more. It truly is small potatoes when people are losing their lives due to all of this and DAILY right now people ARE losing their livelihoods. That affects whole families, not just one person here or there. Oh and by the way, most of those losing their livelihoods in the US at any rate are the immigrant and minority business owners. Doesn't hurt Target or CVS too badly when a store gets looted or burned.

Now, how about those SSD's?? :)

On another note, I'm having a really hard time crediting the rumor of the Bloodborne remaster. I mean, the PS5 is backwards compatible right? Rumors are that it will upscale PS4 games as well so.....if that's true, does that mean the PS5 DOESN'T upscale older BC games? I mean, I would think you could run BB on a PS5 and maybe not have native 4k but at least be upgraded somewhat. Then again, Bloodborne may be a special case. I remember reading at the time that it did some really odd things and was not really "standard" compared to other PS4 games. Not really sure what that means though.

So I'm hoping this just means we will get a Bloodborne SEQUEL instead to go with a Demon Souls remake. THAT would be awesome and hopefully we can just play Bloodborne in BC mode ahead of time to refresh on the game and get hyped. It doesn't have to be 60FPS for me, although that would of course be pretty cool. As long as it didn't hose up the timing.

Oooh...that's it. Wasn't Bloodborne one of the games like DS II that had frames tied to weapon wear or something, that made even mods on the PC side tough? I thought it was SOMETHING like that anyway. I dunno.

I guess we'll see, once we start getting information again. The one good thing about these delays.......they are compressing the time windows so we're likely to get more info all at once that was initially planned to be released over the course of this month. So kind of a feast after the famine!

Meanwhile does anyone have any more solid rumors about the BC in the PS5 and what it may or may not do?

Stay safe everyone and let's hope this weekend is far quieter than last weekend and the week so far!

Seems I touched a nerve but I meant everything I said. It wasn’t directed at anyone in particular here although I have ignored a couple over it as it’s just getting tiresome to read. It’s just something I’ve seen a lot lately, especially on places like Twitter in replies to all the gaming stuff. A timeline full or absolutely nothing at all about what’s going on—no comment whatsoever—and then after a certain point/date suddenly they find their opinion on the subject and it’s used for nothing but talking about looters and looting being the reason they don’t get to be excited about video game reveals, and all these game companies basically legitimising looting by making them wait a bit longer before they can get updated about video games.
Maybe I am making assumptions and judging them unfairly, and it just took something they actually care about being inconvenienced before they stood up, but by referring to what’s happening all over the world right now as nothing but looting stripped of all context is disingenuous.

And yes it is political to bring it up here, but so is constantly implying the reason we don’t get to see PS5 yet is down to all the bad looting happening in parts of the US. So is questioning Sony’s decision to delay it and implying they should have just revealed it anyway. So is hoping it all gets leaked somehow as some kind of comeuppance for delaying instead of just showing it.

Folks, take the riot and looting talk elsewhere. Stop derailing this thread or you'll be removed from it, so it can get back on track. Thanks.

My apologies I was still on the previous page when responding to the reply to me above. If you feel it inappropriate and want to remove it I fully understand.
The “political” posts aren’t just the obvious ones like that in my opinion.

I’m still hoping all the other events falling back is because they need to come after the Sony event because they do a deeper dive of what’s perhaps first revealed there.

I wonder if an NDA can be contingent on an event having taken place rather than just a date having passed?

I’m still hoping all the other events falling back is because they need to come after the Sony event because they do a deeper dive of what’s perhaps first revealed there.

I wonder if an NDA can be contingent on an event having taken place rather than just a date having passed?
I don't think it was a coincidence that on the day we were supposed to get news/reveals about PS5 the Bink Middleware support for PS5 got revealed and also the PS5 dev kit patents and some others were posted online so it's not crazy to think more stuff will get revealed in the coming days even if Sony stays silent

HAL-01

Im sure NDAs are signed way before a date is in place so that must be the case. Sony's event is the one that's meant to kickstart next gen hype for real so i dont see any of the other events trying to steal their thunder

ToadMan

More power = higher clocks.

If there is headroom available it will increase clocks (and power) until it hits the clock cap or the power / temp / voltage limit.

This is a non-sequitur.

Clock speed is independent of power consumption by concept.

I'm not sure if you're describing how Xsex or PS5 works in the second sentence, but they're both incorrect descriptions of those consoles.

Last edited:

Bill O'Rights

Seldom posts. Always delivers.
Staff Member
My apologies I was still on the previous page when responding to the reply to me above. If you feel it inappropriate and want to remove it I fully understand.
The “political” posts aren’t just the obvious ones like that in my opinion.

No worries, there will always be a bit of a cross over - just needs a nudge to get it back on on topic rather than spanning multiples of pages :)

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
XSX is until August but I will not expect any new big new, just more technical details for devs.

If they show something this month probably be the XSS, XCloud or some third parties.
The event in August is an architectural deep dive, so that's really for devs and techies. I expect this month an event that you can compare to a dedicated hardware reveal, like the TV TV TV event in May 2013. Pretty much similar to the PS5 event actually. It's not like Sony is only going to reveal the console and that's it. They are going to talk about OS features, new hardware features, new cloud stuff, etc. Microsoft still has to do the same, and I expect this during the June event. Hopefully as well as the reveal of the XSS.

The event in August is an architectural deep dive, so that's really for devs and techies. I expect this month an event that you can compare to a dedicated hardware reveal, like the TV TV TV event in May 2013. Pretty much similar to the PS5 event actually. It's not like Sony is only going to reveal the console and that's it. They are going to talk about OS features, new hardware features, new cloud stuff, etc. Microsoft still has to do the same, and I expect this during the June event. Hopefully as well as the reveal of the XSS.

I’d like to see what the Create button is bringing to the table. Is it tighter integration of something like ShareFactory, or something radically different etc

I remember being pretty blown away by the RemotePlay, SharePlay always recording video saving features in the PS4 reveal but can’t imagine they can take such a big leap this time around.

Ar¢tos

I’d like to see what the Create button is bringing to the table. Is it tighter integration of something like ShareFactory, or something radically different etc

I remember being pretty blown away by the RemotePlay, SharePlay always recording video saving features in the PS4 reveal but can’t imagine they can take such a big leap this time around.
I'm curious about how the DVR is going to work. 15min of 4k@60 recording is about 5gb (it will always depend on compression used), if it is constantly recording like the ps4, where is it recording to? To the SSD, drastically reducing SSD life? To RAM, reducing the amount of ram available for games? Unless there is a separate memory bank of cheap 8gb LPDDR4 (or even ddr3) for this, DVR is going to be a really bad thing for nextgen consoles.

Darius87

Apologies if it’s frowned upon to link to other forums, but this post is an excellent description of what fixed power draw and variable clocks actually means to real world compute.

The zone in pink is all that matters. Not a theoretical number.

Useful work done = power draw, not frequency.
that's really cool kind a works like peak limiter in audio wave except it's power draw, limit peaks raise the bottom, so is that means that ps5 consumes more electricity then xsex? because it's power draw is allways at high level because of this aprooach.

I'm curious about how the DVR is going to work. 15min of 4k@60 recording is about 5gb (it will always depend on compression used), if it is constantly recording like the ps4, where is it recording to? To the SSD, drastically reducing SSD life? To RAM, reducing the amount of ram available for games? Unless there is a separate memory bank of cheap 8gb LPDDR4 (or even ddr3) for this, DVR is going to be a really bad thing for nextgen consoles.

Didn’t PS4 use separate processing and RAM for recording? You’re right in that even the cheapest, oldest, slowest available RAM is more than adequate foe the job. I hope there’s a dedicated pool of it.

FeiRR

Banned
I don't think it was a coincidence that on the day we were supposed to get news/reveals about PS5 the Bink Middleware support for PS5 got revealed and also the PS5 dev kit patents and some others were posted online so it's not crazy to think more stuff will get revealed in the coming days even if Sony stays silent
I pictured people under NDAs sitting there with their fingers hovering over ENTER, ready to let the hell loose the moment their embargoes expire.

PJQV.gif

I call it intuition, hunch. XsX SSD is not at PS5's SSD level, its about 75%-85% close to it in terms of overall hardware and software implementation. Cant put my finger on it.
It shouldn't really be a matter of "putting your finger on it" or "intuition". It either is or isn't.

2.5GB/s is not even close to 75% of 5.5GB/s, let alone 85%. Yes yes yes, software implementation, i/o, compression etc might bring it up to 4.8GB/s which is around 85% of 5.5GB/s. But that completely neglects the fact that the PS5 also has custom i/o hardware and software that brings it back up to 8-9GB/s.

The Series X has a faster CPU and GPU. Nobody is arguing against that. But the PS5's SSD and I/O architecture is just better than the Xbox. That's perfectly fine. It doesn't take anything away from the Xbox.

so is that means that ps5 consumes more electricity then xsex? because it's power draw is allways at high level because of this aprooach.

I’m not sure how it compares to XSX, but when you realise that watts of power essentially get turned into useful calculation results, then a technology that raises power consumption of useful work instead of being fixed and needing headroom for runaway transients is exactly what you want.
Paradoxically it means even a percent or two down-clocking for some energy consuming instructions doesn’t mean less useful work being done.

It’s about raising the bar for the kind of complex workloads typically found in a game by intelligently spotting things such as uncapped low poly map screens and stopping them from spiking power draw.

If you can’t vary your clocks to account for these “blitz” events and therefore need to account for them in your fixed clock margins, then all your useful workloads are being done at a lower clock-rate than they otherwise could be. It’s about getting the maximum out of what’s there and is again a sign of targeting efficiency.

An XSX GPU with the same fixed power/work target and variable clocks (instead of fixed clocks and variable power/work) would have been an absolute monster.

Likewise PS5’s GPU without it would have been 36 CU’s at around 1.8Ghz as they’re using the same technology and laws of physics as Microsoft.

What matters isn’t a mathematical and theoretical limit that even synthetic code couldn’t reach, but real world calculation done on realistic scenarios.

What matters for gaming performance is that pink square in those graphs, not the transient peaks.
That goes up means that your heavy game rendering loads are bumped up closer to that theoretical limit.

I really expect XSX and PS5 to perform extremely closely in reality. Any differences in resolution or frame rate will need Digital Foundry to zoom in on, and it will vary per game, and not with the same one always ahead.

I think the earliest rumours we got from studios with dev-kits of there being pretty much nothing in it will turn out to be true, and anyone thinking it’s going to be as different as 1440P vs 4K is in for a shock.

It shouldn't really be a matter of "putting your finger on it" or "intuition". It either is or isn't.

2.5GB/s is not even close to 75% of 5.5GB/s, let alone 85%. Yes yes yes, software implementation, i/o, compression etc might bring it up to 4.8GB/s which is around 85% of 5.5GB/s. But that completely neglects the fact that the PS5 also has custom i/o hardware and software that brings it back up to 8-9GB/s.

The Series X has a faster CPU and GPU. Nobody is arguing against that. But the PS5's SSD and I/O architecture is just better than the Xbox. That's perfectly fine. It doesn't take anything away from the Xbox.

I think the compressed numbers say it all on sequential read speeds on typical game data.

The jump from 5.5 to 8-9 is less than from 2.4 to 4.8, and that seems about right with Microsoft leveraging a lossy but extremely good texture compression algorithm.

Random read speed is where I think the biggest difference will lay. Random read is extremely important for streaming data if you want to avoid duplication.

Microsoft hasn’t (potentially) revealed as much about that so far, but Sony has researched heavily in this area, and threw out the traditional IO software stack and rewrote it from the ground up, as well as potentially using SRAM in their flash controller because DRAM was considered to have too much latency. There’s the LinkedIn rumour that suggests XSX SSD solution isn’t even equipped with the means to cache its own LBA->PA lookup table, but there are other means of making “DRAMless” SSDs better at random reads like having your mapping table stored in system RAM and having your CPU find and include a partial lookup table hint to be included in the file request, or some NVMe standards I forget being used to allow the controller to have direct access to system memory. Both of those carry more latency than a native on-chip SRAM look up, though.
And who knows, the LinkedIn rumour could be for work Microsoft was investigating and didn’t adopt.

What I think is pretty clear from the compression ratios you can derive from both speeds we’ve been told is that for a plain read of a single file, it’s unknown-potentially-good-latency + 4.8GB/s vs great-latency + 8-9GB/s.
I personally can’t imagine how any software solution can compete with ASICs and SRAM, but who knows.
There are a lot of people who’ve had hands on or witnessed both systems gushing over PS5 IO speeds, even as they say XSX isn’t bad in that area at all.

For me it’s not a question of how close they are as I think that’s settled. It’s a question of how much it matters or will matter in future.
It could be critical, or it could just be something nice to have for loading only. Time will tell.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned

The "recording certain parts of a game" and letting your friends play rumor or test it out would be so dope imo. My son uses share play to play with his friends all the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom