• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

supernova8

Banned
If, as rumours suggest, Sony's chip yields are shit and they need to come in with a higher price than Xbox, the other way they will win is with objectively far better looking games to sell people on next-gen. This whole 'we want to focus on PS5-only experiences' stuff might be a way for them to justify $50 or $100 more than Xbox.

If they can somehow put across messaging along the lines of, "Sure Xbox Series X is cheaper but look at their games. You can play them on a current-gen system why waste your money? Come over to us and we'll give you a true next-gen experience".

Lower price + better performance won Sony the battle with PS4 but this time around, it looks like lower performance (on paper) and potentially a higher price for Sony. They really need to nail the games.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Better be. I just used my last "patience token" today 8:01 pm PT.

44b9g1.jpg

If, as rumours suggest, Sony's chip yields are shit and they need to come in with a higher price than Xbox, the other way they will win is with objectively far better looking games to sell people on next-gen. This whole 'we want to focus on PS5-only experiences' stuff might be a way for them to justify $50 or $100 more than Xbox.

If they can somehow put across messaging along the lines of, "Sure Xbox Series X is cheaper but look at their games. You can play them on a current-gen system why waste your money? Come over to us and we'll give you a true next-gen experience".

Lower price + better performance won Sony the battle with PS4 but this time around, it looks like lower performance (on paper) and potentially a higher price for Sony. They really need to nail the games.
Rumours = a guy on twitter pulling stuff out of his ass.

RasAlGhoul

Wat

Gamernyc78

Banned
What Demo :goog_unsure:

The one in 2018 for their 8k TV. Of course I expect something like that at 4k native, not 8k at 60fps.

icerock

giphy.gif

kebaldo

The best thing IMHO would be to announce it in the week before the Tlou realese and use it as a demonstration of the legacy mode (or what was the name...) your not taking away light away neither from the Ps5 or the game launch... Your accutaly promoting them together... And you're in a certain way saying to the public "this is the quality of games that we have and you will find it in the future on your Ps5".

Andodalf

Banned
I feel like I’ve read about chip yields for every consumer electronics product for the past decade, and I think the only thing that has ever come of it is intel being stuck on 14nm

ToadMan

Without variable frequencies Smatshift is only useful to save power and they already said they have locked frequencies.

Smartshift enables efficient use of power - that's what Sony are using it for. If MS don't choose to use it, they're limiting their GPU/CPU performance.

EDIT : Oh - I'll say it yet again - smart shift has nothing to do with frequency in PS5 or xsex if implemented. The variable frequency part is Sony's own work., SmartShift is AMD.

Last edited:

TheAssist

But would they announce it the same week it airs? I'm not sure...

The last time they had like what? 5 day or so in advance. Or was it 4 days? So yeah, thats very possible imho.

I have a huge backlog, is GT Sport worth the time? I'm not big on GT since 4 though.

Really depends what you rae looking for, Havent played it myself, but I have watched a lot of the official FIA GT Race series. Just to give you an example:

If that stuff gets you hyped, then yeah sure, why not try it. Plus there seems so be much more single player content now. Though nowhere near a "real" single player GT.

The one in 2018 for their 8k TV. Of course I expect something like that at 4k native, not 8k at 60fps.

Thank you!

Faithless83

Banned
OH hell yeah it is!!! And it's dirt cheap now I seen prices around 15 thts a steal.
Yeah it's really cheap. The problem is that I have an humongous backlog and kinda divided between GT Sport and Days Gone (which I skipped due to bugs and it seems a lot better now).

Truth is, I shouldn't buy anything and save for PS5, as it's likely to be really expensive were I live.
PS4 Pro is around 800 bucks in grey market right now. The pandemic is not helping.

Gamernyc78

Banned
Yeah it's really cheap. The problem is that I have an humongous backlog and kinda divided between GT Sport and Days Gone (which I skipped due to bugs and it seems a lot better now).

Truth is, I shouldn't buy anything and save for PS5, as it's likely to be really expensive were I live.
PS4 Pro is around 800 bucks in grey market right now. The pandemic is not helping.

Broooo Days Gone was epic imo lol you don't know what you are missing. I stopped my backlog to play tht and don't regret it. I'm one thing away from a platinum.

What rumor would that be?

If, as rumours suggest, Sony's chip yields are shit and they need to come in with a higher price than Xbox
Practically everything on GAF right now is random shit from people's asses so I thought I'd get in on the action ;)

One thing is to speculate and another is to intentionally spread something that's false just to get a rise out of people.

At least that's what your reaction suggests they you're doing.

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
it would be no surprise for me if PS5 would cost more than xboxsx. just look at those breakthroughs in PS5. it can't be cheap. but it will be worth it.

i saw rumors somewhere that Sony ain't trying to undercut or whatever, they are making sure, that every penny you pay for the PS5 is worth it and that is selling point.

ToadMan

I have a huge backlog, is GT Sport worth the time? I'm not big on GT since 4 though.

GT:Sport is primarily online focused. For that purpose yeah it's very good - pickup races basically work and theirs safety and driver ratings to match make against. If you just want to do some offline career style play, not so much.

As a single player experience - it's dry since the career mode mainly consists of doing challenges and events. In that sense it's not much different to previous GTs but the customizing of the cars is reduced. The racing AI is improved over what it was but still lacks a certain something. It's almost too robotic so there's not that feeling of competition, but if you're driving "properly" then the AI is at least more likely to react to you in a reasonable way. Drive erratically though and the AI gets confused and just sticks to it's line no matter what.

To be honest, I never thought of GT as a "career" simulator and the customizing was kind of unrealistic so I didn't like that side much. For it's time it was good but better stuff has come along.

GT Sport is great for the multiplayer stuff, it's pretty generous with cash to buy new cars and as usual the graphics are phenomenal. But, if you're into iRacing, then that is a better driving/racing experience (and probably rFactor, pCars and Assetto Corsa are too but I haven't tried those for a long time) - GT has some features borrowed from iRacing and that's where it's focused.

Photo mode is incredible too if you're into that.

Gediminas

Banned
i am pretty sure i will have one disappointment from PS5 show. i would like to be surprised, but i expect nothing worth while from Polyphony. it will be most probably shit game like GT Sports.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
One thing is to speculate and another is to intentionally spread something that's false just to get a rise out of people.

At least that's what your reaction suggests they you're doing.

Not really. The rumor I was referencing actually came from Bloomberg back in February.

Nothing wrong with what I posted. Not my fault people get riled up for no reason. Cabin fever?

LED Guy?

Banned
Well, we have MANY MORE REVIEWERS saying TLOU 2 story is way different than the written leaks on 4Chan/Reddit & that the story is too good, the game is getting overwhelming universal praise, one Portuguese guy did the preview said the game is a “masterpiece and one that you rarely find in the gaming industry”.

I think it’s gonna get 10s out of 10s everywhere mostly and haters will cry. 🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰🥰

Also I’m wondering what the PS5 version will be, please Naughty Dog, I don’t want it being Backwards Compatible, I want a remastered version running at full 4K 60FPS with more visual niceties here and there with some bonus content, it’s looking like it’s gonna be a Game of the Generation to end the PS4 with.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Not really. The rumor I was referencing actually came from Bloomberg back in February.

Nothing wrong with what I posted. Not my fault people get riled up for no reason. Cabin fever?
Ctr-F "Yield" - 0 Results

Full of shit you are.

Nothing in that article talks about yields. Do you what yield means?

Gamingbolt put up an article about the Matt insider/dev from Era's comments about XsX and PS5, stuff that has been discussed already on here for the last few days or so. Couple things that stand out to me though:

Speaking about the SSDs in both upcoming consoles, Matt remarked that the Xbox Series X’s SSD is an impressive one, and definitely “a huge upgrade” over anything we’ve seen before. That said, according to him, the PS5’s IO is “on a whole other level.”

“The [Xbox Series X] SSD and whole IO setup is great, and a huge upgrade from anything we have ever had before,” he wrote. “Microsoft did a really nice job here, absolutely nothing to complain about.

“But in comparison, the PS5’s IO feels like it was taken from an IO-focused mid-gen upgrade 4 years from now. It is, very simply, on a whole other level. And yes, that allows for things you can’t do on any other platform.”

“There are certainly things developers can do with the PS5 that can’t be done the same, as fast, or as well on any other consumer hardware at the moment. That’s also a fact. The PS5’s IO is a big deal that will lead to actual results in games,” he further stated.

However, he acknowledged that the Xbox Series X is still a stronger system in many ways.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom