• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Only PS fans are allowed in the cities of gold:messenger_sunglasses:

2cHqjYuqqDviZDFPKnwcX7PfnSinOYF4_N_IRH1bLZqLHuIKHDj9juJ2lQwvWfTq5UQ

Not sure how famous this cartoon is around the world though :messenger_winking_tongue: Loved it when I was a kid.
I remember that cartoon 😂

Sinthor

Gold Member
Old interview, short and interesting with Mark Cerny. I don't know wtf happened to his hair but maybe it's a genius side effect.

I love his enthusiasm and acknowledgment of mistakes he does.

It's called the "Yeah I'm a nerd, but I have more money then you'll ever dream of, drive Ferrari's and whatever else I want...hell I can HAVE pretty much anyone I want, even though I'm a nerd- I have so much money and...oh yeah...I don't give a FUUUUUUUUUUCK!" hair. :)

bitbydeath

Gold Member
Interesting take.

Let’s say Lockhart arrives at $400, PS5 at $500 and Series X at $600. You would see players flock to the Lockhart over the Series X because of that wide price gap, and get a console with fewer features than the Series X.

Last edited:
At the launch of this gen, Ryse was the best looking game. I think it's debatable what game on the PS4 Pro looks better than Gears5, but there's no point in arguing because everyone has an own opinion on what they find pretty. Besides that, the XSX has the better GPU, CPU and RAM. That's basically why I think they'll deliver at launch, but bookmark my post, I have no problem with saying I'm wrong once we've seen gameplay on both sides.
Ryse looks good but in the same year Killzone Shadow Fall and in PC was Metro Last Night looks better and the Killzone was in 1080p so yeah.

So for you the best looking game in consoles is Gears 5 ..... really how is so blind for its fanaticism for its favorite box, God of War,Horizon Zero Dawn, Kojima Walking Simulator game or
now is important the resolution, even RDR2 in the same Xbox one X is better.

The delta is CPU is a joke between both consoles, the ram is not so easy to say one side is always better so I understand after all this weeks of discussion you never understand that.

But now we forget the SSD because of yeah "narrative" after the comments of devs.

That word you love to use everytime somebody tell you the world doesn't work in the way you think or you don't understand than TF is not a magic way to measure a GPU.

If you already think Gears 5 has the better graphics is not way you admit a game in PS5 can looks better and then you will called narrative.

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Interesting take.

I have to agree and this is why I've never seen Lockhart as a good strategy for MS. At least not with the Series X out there. If it's THAT much cheaper than the PS5 and Series X, if anything, it's likely to cannibalize sales of the Series X. Only the high end gamers will buy the Series X and the lower end and 'just FIFA' or 'just Madden' gamers will go with Lockhart. Unless it's OVER $100 less than the PS5 and really unless it's like $200.....I still don't see it outselling the PS5. If it's just $100 difference, you'll see some consumers of the low end market buy it, sure, but the average would see the HUGE difference between Lockhart and the PS5 and go with the PS5.

I dunno. I mean we shall see. Any company can make huge mistakes or alternatively come up with a huge home run that nobody else foresaw. So the possibilities are all there. I just don't see MS effectively competing in Nintendo territory, which is what that would be, if it's cheap enough to really make a splash. Oh, and I don't see how they could MAKE it that cheap while retaining enough of the feature set of the Series X to really be something.

My opinion on Lockhart and why we haven't seen it yet....

Last edited:

Vanfanel340

Neo Member
I read Phil and it gives me that Xbox consoles sell more or less he does not care much, what xbox wants is that people subscribe to console, pc or Xcloud, services, you just have to read Phil

jose4gg

I read Phil and it gives me that Xbox consoles sell more or less he does not care much, what xbox wants is that people subscribe to console, pc or Xcloud, services, you just have to read Phil

The new trick for the last couple of years not just in the Gaming industry but in the software industry is to sell things as a Service... So your users pay every month an amount and you can profit from the same product over and over again...

With that been said, the idea of not selling consoles is stupid... You need people with Xbox consoles in order to make them pay for services like Xbox live, game pass, Xcloud, etc. The PC market is a great thing they are also trying to get, but the concept of "we don't care if we sell consoles" is pretty much stupid.

Vanfanel340

Neo Member
The new trick for the last couple of years not just in the Gaming industry but in the software industry is to sell things as a Service... So your users pay every month an amount and you can profit from the same product over and over again...

With that been said, the idea of not selling consoles is stupid... You need people with Xbox consoles in order to make them pay for services like Xbox live, game pass, Xcloud, etc. The PC market is a great thing they are also trying to get, but the concept of "we don't care if we sell consoles" is pretty much stupid.
I pay for Game Pass and I use it more on my PC, from the beginning I will only buy playstation 5, because with the PC I have I will be able to play in the best possible condition the new games from Xbox studios, so buying me a new Xbox lacks me Of interest, the One X that I have is going to be the last Xbox in a long time while I take the content on Pc. At least that's what I will do

Last edited:

Naddy

Banned

thats not what the article says at all.
he just wants to give people options

I mean, just think about it: in the past watched 100% of their movies and series on a TV.
now, how many watch their movies on a phone or iPad?
What if the same happens with gaming? People stop playing on tv and start playing on a phone or iPad?
then any home console would be DEAD.
He just wants to make sure that anyone can enjoy their games. Doesn’t matter if you are using a phone, iPad or Xbox. of course they will continue creating Xbox consoles. He said Xbox series x is NOT the last console.

Naddy

Banned
I pay for Game Pass and I use it more on my PC, from the beginning I will only buy playstation 5, because with the PC I have I will be able to play in the best possible condition the new games from Xbox studios, so buying me a new Xbox lacks me Of interest, the One X that I have is going to be the last Xbox in a long time while I take the content on Pc. At least that's what I will do

you are running it on Windows Right? So they don’t care. You are in their ECOSYSTEM. So MS is cool with that.
just stay with their ecosystem. Play however you want, but just stay in their ecosystem. And you are doing it. That’s great

Vanfanel340

Neo Member
you are running it on Windows Right? So they don’t care. You are in their ECOSYSTEM. So MS is cool with that.
just stay with their ecosystem. Play however you want, but just stay in their ecosystem. And you are doing it. That’s great
It seems great to me, I just think that if we focus on consoles, the sales war does not matter a little to Xbox, they sell an ecosystem, play our games wherever you want and that is wonderful, Sony's strategy is surely different and you of different things and the same thing happens with Nintendo, that's why from a humble opinion I think that comparing Playstation and Xbox in a war of the same is increasingly blurred, in the same sector but different ways, I'm still wrong but I'm sorry a little bit like that

Ptarmiganx2

Alright gentlemen please tell me I’m not the only one running from my responsibilities to watch the event.

I had to call my scheduler and tell her I will not being seeing patients for 2 hours and all of my current patients scheduled from 1 - 3 pm needed to be moved to Wednesday. My rationale: continuing education conference. As a 41 year old man, I almost feel irresponsible.

Shmunter

Alright gentlemen please tell me I’m not the only one running from my responsibilities to watch the event.

I had to call my scheduler and tell her I will not being seeing patients for 2 hours and all of my current patients scheduled from 1 - 3 pm needed to be moved to Wednesday. My rationale: continuing education conference. As a 41 year old man, I almost feel irresponsible.
Just stick it out at the clinic as long as you can and get one of the paramedics to run you home on a siren.

LED Guy?

Banned
At the launch of this gen, Ryse was the best looking game. I think it's debatable what game on the PS4 Pro looks better than Gears5, but there's no point in arguing because everyone has an own opinion on what they find pretty. Besides that, the XSX has the better GPU, CPU and RAM. That's basically why I think they'll deliver at launch, but bookmark my post, I have no problem with saying I'm wrong once we've seen gameplay on both sides.
I mean, there are a LOT of games that look better than Gears 5 by a considerable amount (please don't mention 4K resolution because on Xbox One X, it can scale from that 4K to 1440p and even less).

Games that look better than Gears 5 (off the top of my head):

- Uncharted 4.
- The Order 1886.
- Days Gone.
- Horizon Zero Dawn.
- God of War 2018.
- Detroit Become Human.
- Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Spider Man PS4.

And surely The Last of Us Part II will be among the best looking games this generation, if not the best, I mean come on now!

YauAwmL.gif

YR6regq.gif

iSw8T5A.gif

32qmU8l.gif

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

Yeah I think they want to let Sony go first so they can try to change the narrative afterwards. I feel a very big push coming on ray tracing coming from their end.

I actually expect that cross-gen games from Microsoft will look as good or even better than next-gen games from Sony, but that's just me guessing the current situation. This is the start of a gen, most games don't use the systems to their full potential yet.
Not a chance! Sony’s first party games will not be touched by cross gen games. The PS5 is designed to stream movie quality assets...what type of games does Sony make? The industry is changing and Sony is in the driver’s seat.

Captain Hero

The Spoiler Soldier

I was looking at something then I saw this review about HZD .. and omg the stupidity in this review by this girl Called Caty, she doesn’t know shit about games or anything related to them . This is not a simple review but an obvious hate to game or the console or the developers

Yes I saw multiple reviews but this one ! Has no truth in it in many aspects

Guys .. Do you agree with me ? Or did I miss something

Sinthor

Gold Member

Lol. I'm in the same boat. Already rescheduled a call on a security incident response. Just by half an hour and nothing that needs current action but still. Yeah....feeling irresponsible. A bit. :)

icerock

they are releasing the first piece of PS5 footage at 1080p.

at this point, i am convinced Sony are doing this just to fuck with me.

They are streaming first piece of footage at that resolution. I’m pretty sure a 4K upload of those trailers would go up immediately after they’re shown on stream. Like it has happened in the past. So relax, you can marvel at that goodness little bit later.
T0C2cQe.jpg

All set :messenger_sunglasses:

This is the first time I use this. I'm always on YouTube. Is this better or same?

6AM? As if you’re going to get any sleep that night 😂

Naddy

Banned
I mean, there are a LOT of games that look way better than Gears 5 (please don't mention 4K resolution because on Xbox One X, it can scale from that 4K to 1440p and even less).

Games that look better than Gears 5 (off the top of my head):

- Uncharted 4.
- The Order 1886.
- Days Gone.
- Horizon Zero Dawn.
- God of War 2018.
- Detroit Become Human.
- Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Spider Man PS4.

And surely The Last of Us Part II will be among the best looking games this generation, if not the best, I mean come on now!

YauAwmL.gif

YR6regq.gif

iSw8T5A.gif

32qmU8l.gif

I personally think that Red Dead Redemption 2 on XboxOne X looks better than any of the games you mentioned.

Naddy

Banned
I’m pretty sure a 4K upload of those trailers would go up immediately after they’re shown on stream.

Im not so sure about that though:

I wanted to add that this pre-taped program will be broadcast at 1080p and 30 frames per second. This eased the show’s production process during a time when many of our team and developers are working from home.

so they produced it in 1080p@30fps, because this would make the production easier. I don’t think a 4K version even exists at all.

Of course they care of what now the inversion of make a new console was for the memes.

If you use its console you are force to use its Gold service in order to play that is what they care.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
Interesting take.

They said they don't care how you get into GP. If analyses show Lockhart is what more consumers want, they'll promote it and keep XSX as a "pro gamer console" with high price and limited production.

thats not what the article says at all.
he just wants to give people options

I mean, just think about it: in the past watched 100% of their movies and series on a TV.
now, how many watch their movies on a phone or iPad?
What if the same happens with gaming? People stop playing on tv and start playing on a phone or iPad?
then any home console would be DEAD.

He just wants to make sure that anyone can enjoy their games. Doesn’t matter if you are using a phone, iPad or Xbox. of course they will continue creating Xbox consoles. He said Xbox series x is NOT the last console.

I think this is a quote of the month candidate. A glimpse into the future where people play games on mobile. An idea worth billions!

I mean, there are a LOT of games that look way better than Gears 5
When I saw this level, I decided that people who claim that Gears 5 has great graphics are simply blind. Marked as a spoiler as it's over the middle of the game.

LED Guy?

Banned
They said they don't care how you get into GP. If analyses show Lockhart is what more consumers want, they'll promote it and keep XSX as a "pro gamer console" with high price and limited production.

I think this is a quote of the month candidate. A glimpse into the future where people play games on mobile. An idea worth billions!

When I saw this level, I decided that people who claim that Gears 5 has great graphics are simply blind. Marked as a spoiler as it's over the middle of the game.

Yeah I saw that, I have actually played those sections on my Gaming PC at ultra settings and it looks very empty, Uncharted 4's Madagascar smokes it in almost every graphical aspect if I'm being honest

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
6AM? As if you’re going to get any sleep that night 😂
Hah. Actually, I think it'll be the best sleep I've had since 2013.

Going to sleep happily knowing we're finally going to wake up to the reveal.

It is the console reveal right? Or I'll be utterly disappointed if they don't reveal it. They can't make us wait all this time and not reveal it. Plus it's June, E3 time, and this is when they usually reveal. PLUS if they don't reveal they'll be risking leaks.

They better reveal it..... Or I'm going to choke somebody.

giphy.gif

Yes I've shamelessly copied someone's gif. Sorry! :pie_wfwt:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom