• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

LED Guy?

Banned
Alright, since we're talking graphics here and Next-gen consoles and all that, if some of you have seen the leaks from The Last of Us Part 2, there is a forest, a huge forest that looked so good I don't even know how they have achieved that on PS4, it looks almost Next-gen, I cannot believe it is running on PS4.

Without a doubt, it is the best looking graphics I have ever seen in this generation, the best looking forest ever!

You guys will know later when the game comes out and y'all experience it for yourselves (me too LOL!!).

Ar¢tos

Only PS fans are allowed in the cities of gold:messenger_sunglasses:

2cHqjYuqqDviZDFPKnwcX7PfnSinOYF4_N_IRH1bLZqLHuIKHDj9juJ2lQwvWfTq5UQ

Not sure how famous this cartoon is around the world though :messenger_winking_tongue: Loved it when I was a kid.
I watched that every day after school with my sisters.
The theme song has been my ringtone for more than a decade (the original French one, not the shitty English version)

I know they made a new season recently, but I haven't watched it because I'm afraid it sucks.
I can't see it being adapted to a game, outside of an Uncharted style game.
(I never understood the fixation the 80s had with capes!)

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
Yeah I saw that, I have actually played those sections on my Gaming PC at ultra settings and it looks very empty, Uncharted 4's Madagascar smokes in almost every graphical aspect if I'm being honest
Rocket base sections look much better, probably due to the fact that it's quite dark there. Art design is terrible in those open maps, a lot of empty spaces and reused assets make it feel like it was an afterthought decision and the studio didn't have enough time to polish their content. It also has very average quality of animations, certainly not a top-tier AAA level. I'd name many multiplatform games which look way better than G5, for example Division 2, AC: Odyssey and Doom Eternal.

Gediminas

Banned
I mean, there are a LOT of games that look way better than Gears 5 (please don't mention 4K resolution because on Xbox One X, it can scale from that 4K to 1440p and even less).

Games that look better than Gears 5 (off the top of my head):

- Uncharted 4.
- The Order 1886.
- Days Gone.
- Horizon Zero Dawn.
- God of War 2018.
- Detroit Become Human.
- Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Spider Man PS4.

And surely The Last of Us Part II will be among the best looking games this generation, if not the best, I mean come on now!

YauAwmL.gif

YR6regq.gif

iSw8T5A.gif

32qmU8l.gif
he is delusional fanboy and 🤡 . don't expect anything from him.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Alright, since we're talking graphics here and Next-gen consoles and all that, if some of you have seen the leaks from The Last of Us Part 2, there is a forest, a huge forest that looked so good I don't even know how they have achieved that on PS4, it looks almost Next-gen, I cannot believe it is running on PS4.

Without a doubt, it is the best looking graphics I have ever seen in this generation, the best looking forest ever!

You guys will know later when the game comes out and y'all experience it for yourselves (me too LOL!!).

Exactly this. With what had been shown and then the rumors of delays and the delays that actually happened, I was almost convinced that TLOU2 would be a PS5 launch title. I was pretty much expecting that. I don't know how they got all of those visuals out of the PS4, even the Pro and I know what I'll see on my TV will be at least twice as good as anything I've seen online, which is just INCREDIBLE.

I still have to wonder if this game won't be one that has a day one "patch" for the PS5 or a separate version available. I mean, they started working on the game just a bit before some of these other projects that are supposed to be PS5 launch titles, so the timing matched up as well. Maybe they have a whole PS5 version already that will be released? I know, doesn't seem super likely, but if you think about the timing of the project and then the delays...it kind of fits. Then again, the original came out just months before the PS4 and it still took over a year for the "remastered" version. ND does pretty much what they want, as is deserved by the level of success they have had. So we shall see.

FeiRR

Banned
I watched that every day after school with my sisters.
The theme song has been my ringtone for more than a decade (the original French one, not the shitty English version)

I know they made a new season recently, but I haven't watched it because I'm afraid it sucks.
I can't see it being adapted to a game, outside of an Uncharted style game.
(I never understood the fixation the 80s had with capes!)

Do you know this series? Great music and atmosphere, loved it as a kid.

IDtJded.jpg

roops67

I called it. "Concern" over the broadcast. Fact is, MOST people still cannot reliably stream 4k. 1080p is pushing it for a lot of the world but bottom line, this is obviously a choice to ensure that the most people possible do not have streaming and quality issues while still maintaining HD for the visual presentation.
That aswell as ensure a smooth live stutter-free experience to all. YouTube steps down the video quality to match your available internet bandwidth down to 144p, all these quality settings are separate multicast streams that are served out. So with millions of viewers for the same live event YouTube has to accommodate multiple broadcasts for different qualities instead of just one 1080p broadcast stream. If they did 4k 60fps then there are waay that much more different quality settings that will be used cos of the millions viewing the same live event, stressing YouTube servers for a potentially skippy viewing experience... not something us and Sony will want!

Last edited:

LED Guy?

Banned
Exactly this. With what had been shown and then the rumors of delays and the delays that actually happened, I was almost convinced that TLOU2 would be a PS5 launch title. I was pretty much expecting that. I don't know how they got all of those visuals out of the PS4, even the Pro and I know what I'll see on my TV will be at least twice as good as anything I've seen online, which is just INCREDIBLE.

I still have to wonder if this game won't be one that has a day one "patch" for the PS5 or a separate version available. I mean, they started working on the game just a bit before some of these other projects that are supposed to be PS5 launch titles, so the timing matched up as well. Maybe they have a whole PS5 version already that will be released? I know, doesn't seem super likely, but if you think about the timing of the project and then the delays...it kind of fits. Then again, the original came out just months before the PS4 and it still took over a year for the "remastered" version. ND does pretty much what they want, as is deserved by the level of success they have had. So we shall see.
Hmm interesting prospect you wrote there, yeah I agree that might happen and it would be so good!

Ar¢tos

Do you know this series? Great music and atmosphere, loved it as a kid.

IDtJded.jpg
I remember those characters, but I never really watched it, can't remember why, probably wasn't at home when it aired here.
I have a huge backlog of books now, that will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestion!

FeiRR

Banned
I remember those characters, but I never really watched it, can't remember why, probably wasn't at home when it aired here.
I have a huge backlog of books now, that will have to wait. Thanks for the suggestion!
If you find a source to watch it online in English, I'd appreciate sharing. I wanted to buy it on DVD but it's French only and I don't know it :(

Lethal01

I mean, there are a LOT of games that look way better than Gears 5 (please don't mention 4K resolution because on Xbox One X, it can scale from that 4K to 1440p and even less).

- Uncharted 4.
- The Order 1886.
- Days Gone.
- Horizon Zero Dawn.
- God of War 2018.
- Detroit Become Human.
- Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Spider Man PS4.

And surely The Last of Us Part II will be among the best looking games this generation, if not the best, I mean come on now!

YauAwmL.gif

YR6regq.gif

iSw8T5A.gif

32qmU8l.gif

ik9ztT.jpg
iqh25i.jpg
iCJ5wK.jpg

Gears 5 is an Extremely well made and good looking game .
I think there are games that look better. but definitely not "way better".
It's within spitting distance with all the other best looking games this gen.

Last edited:

Ar¢tos

If you find a source to watch it online in English, I'd appreciate sharing. I wanted to buy it on DVD but it's French only and I don't know it :(
Old Things that aren't on Netflix/Prime I buy the Dvds/bluray. I'm fine with French, as long as it has French subtitles for the words I can't understand properly (sometimes they speak too fast).

LED Guy?

Banned
ik9ztT.jpg
iqh25i.jpg
iCJ5wK.jpg

You’re right, I did not even realize I wrote “way better”, thanks for pointing that out, yeah there are games that look better than it, but not way better.

Sinthor

Gold Member
You’re right, I did not even realize I wrote “way better”, thanks for pointing that out, yeah there are games that look better than it, but not way better.

Gotta agree with this. Gears 5 is a damn impressive looking game. I think it's more a question of taste but overall I think it's awfully hard to best Horizon: Zero Dawn and God of War. God of War was super impressive but they were areas and scenes of HZD that I literally just stood around looking and taking pictures because it was just incredible scenery.

Sinthor

Gold Member
and those do not look as good as RDR2

Yeah, I think it's a matter of taste still. I agree that RDR2 is REALLY nice as well. But HZD.....man you have to see that on your TV to get it. Just...amazing. But..again, different art style and different scenery. There are a lot of really great looking games, especially later in this generation. Can't wait to see what we will get with this coming generation!

ik9ztT.jpg
iqh25i.jpg
iCJ5wK.jpg

I think the only reason why we see other games and think "This game looks better than Gears 5" is because of the art direction of the game. It's not the environments, textures or lightning it's the character designs what I mean, the dudes are too damn big! almost like a walking fridge with biceps as big as their heads. Some characters have like a cartoonish body type.

Last edited:
Late night thoughts... I believe we may see a game announcement made in a few hours that will show it's gameplay reveal on the PS5 event, probably the new COD. And I'm thinking this because every year the new COD is revealed around the end of April/early May and now we're on June and there hasn't been any official word about it yet.

Vae_Victis

Banned
So.....is Twitch supposed to be the best place to watch the Stream...or Youtube?
In theory Twitch is better, because it allows for a "source" setting that doesn't tamper with bitrate. No matter what resolution you set on YouTube, the video will be re-encoded with a lossy algorithm and drastically reduced in size.

well, the stream is only 1080p@30fps anyway. So. It doesn’t really matter.
1080p and 4K are a bit of a meme, especially when you talk about a pre-recorded video. Bitrate is by far the most important metric, not resolution.

You could have a 4K video that looks like utter shit because it has very low bitrate, and a 1080p video with super-high bitrate that is as crisp and detailed as the original source straight from the console. Conversely, as long as the bitrate is high enough resolution doesn't play a huge role in final image quality, unless you are watching the video on a huge screen or from very close and you start noticing individual pixels a lot.

So I wouldn't worry too much about 1080p or 4K for the live event, what matters is the actual visual quality of the video stream, not the maximum size of the frame it is encased into.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, there are a LOT of games that look better than Gears 5 by a considerable amount (please don't mention 4K resolution because on Xbox One X, it can scale from that 4K to 1440p and even less).

- Uncharted 4.
- The Order 1886.
- Days Gone.
- Horizon Zero Dawn.
- God of War 2018.
- Detroit Become Human.
- Red Dead Redemption 2.
- Spider Man PS4.

I agree, once released TLOUII will probably be the best looking game, because what we've seen so far was amazing. The others you listed I don't really agree with, but like I said there was no point in arguing because people have different opinions on what they find pretty.

Personally why I thought Gears5 looked better was due to the richness, detail and lighting of the world and characters combined with running in native 4k and at 60fps. Maybe they shouldn't have gone for native 4k and just used checkerboarding to get there, while using the other freed up processing power for even better graphics. Or drop the 60fps and go for 30fps, but that would be silly since this is a shooter. Because people seem to forget that most of the items in your list don't run in native 4k and at 60fps which I wouldn't exclude from my analysis.

Last edited by a moderator:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
1080p and 4K are a bit of a meme, especially when you talk about a pre-recorded video. Bitrate is by far the most important metric, not resolution.

Thank you 🙏! Then again we see some consumers spending thousands on a best of class TV, hook it up and get it calibrated, and then pair Netflix to it or Disney+ instead of getting a UHD Blu-Ray because having a bitrate ~1/4th of the disc version cannot possible make for any visual difference :rolleyes:.

Last edited:

Naddy

Banned
In theory Twitch is better, because it allows for a "source" setting that doesn't tamper with bitrate. No matter what resolution you set on YouTube, the video will be re-encoded with a lossy algorithm and drastically reduced in size.

You could have a 4K video that looks like utter shit because it has very low bitrate, and a 1080p video with super-high bitrate that is as crisp and detailed as the original source straight from the console. Conversely, as long as the bitrate is high enough resolution doesn't play a huge role in final image quality, unless you are watching the video on a huge screen or from very close and you start noticing individual pixels a lot.

So I wouldn't worry too much about 1080p or 4K for the live event, what matters is the actual visual quality of the video stream, not the maximum size of the frame it is encased into.

well, the 1080p stream at YouTube is limited.
YouTube is Talking about 8 Mbps for 108p and up to 45 Mbps for 4K.
See: https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/1722171?hl=en

I don’t think we will see a high Bitrate 1080p stream, because then they could easily have a 4K stream with a high Bitrate.
But they simply couldn’t produce videos with a high Bitrate due to COVID and home office work.

ToadMan

you are running it on Windows Right? So they don’t care. You are in their ECOSYSTEM. So MS is cool with that.
just stay with their ecosystem. Play however you want, but just stay in their ecosystem. And you are doing it. That’s great

True enough. Makes one wonder why MS is botheting to make not one but 2 consoles?

Xsex and Lockhart being sent to die I suppose. MS just don’t have any strategy here.

They had a first party, got rid of it. Released Xb1 thinking 3rd party was enough - that didn’t work. So now they’ve bought 1st parties too late to do anything with Xsex and Lockhart which they’re sending out with no games.

This will be another flop for MS and when that happens it’ll be their last console release. 2 consoles failing simultaneously! Lol

All that while the one “good” thing they have - gamepass (which is good because it’s cheap, not for exclusive content) doesn’t need those consoles.

If MS had a strategy brain, they’d kill the console hardware business, put gamepass on PlayStation and the console of whatever manufacturer decided to take up the console space (Samsung, LG, Apple whoever) they left and just keep the xbox brand to compete on software.

As it is they’re wasting money trying to be a consumer electronics player in a market they don’t grok.

Dodkrake

Banned
Now that things have quieted down a bit, I wanted to address a comment I saw a few times yesterday regarding the Xbox Series S, or lockhart, holding back this gen.

We need to be careful with those assertions as i'd say it's likely the console is basically a cheap version for the XBSX, meaning things should scale down on a graphical level, but the IO, SSD architecture and whatever else can affect game design, will be set according to new gen standards. This means that apart from graphical fidelity and maybe some FPS, we should not expect it to hold back this gen.

The lowest common denominator for a while will be the PC due to the lack of comparable SSD's

geordiemp

Now that things have quieted down a bit, I wanted to address a comment I saw a few times yesterday regarding the Xbox Series S, or lockhart, holding back this gen.

We need to be careful with those assertions as i'd say it's likely the console is basically a cheap version for the XBSX, meaning things should scale down on a graphical level, but the IO, SSD architecture and whatever else can affect game design, will be set according to new gen standards. This means that apart from graphical fidelity and maybe some FPS, we should not expect it to hold back this gen.

The lowest common denominator for a while will be Ps4 and Xb1 and any game made for Jaguar and HDD

Just changed a bit, biggest problem is games made for HDD and Jaguar will hold back all games for a while except first party, especially Sony who will go all out ps5.

ik9ztT.jpg
iqh25i.jpg
iCJ5wK.jpg

I'd say all of these games have way better animation and motion capture though (especially facial animation), which to me adds immensely to the overall look of a game and the quality of the graphics. Just my opinion :)

Dibils2k

I'd say all of these games have way better animation and motion capture though (especially facial animation), which to me adds immensely to the overall look of a game and the quality of the graphics. Just my opinion :)
They also are all 30fps compared to 60fps of Gears

or does 60fps not matter again? i cant keep up

TBiddy

True enough. Makes one wonder why MS is botheting to make not one but 2 consoles?

Xsex and Lockhart being sent to die I suppose. MS just don’t have any strategy here.

They had a first party, got rid of it. Released Xb1 thinking 3rd party was enough - that didn’t work. So now they’ve bought 1st parties too late to do anything with Xsex and Lockhart which they’re sending out with no games.

This will be another flop for MS and when that happens it’ll be their last console release. 2 consoles failing simultaneously! Lol

All that while the one “good” thing they have - gamepass (which is good because it’s cheap, not for exclusive content) doesn’t need those consoles.

If MS had a strategy brain, they’d kill the console hardware business, put gamepass on PlayStation and the console of whatever manufacturer decided to take up the console space (Samsung, LG, Apple whoever) they left and just keep the xbox brand to compete on software.

As it is they’re wasting money trying to be a consumer electronics player in a market they don’t grok.

thatsbait.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom