• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hope that in 48

giphy.gif

Though, in fairness, I think we really can't base much for comparison until both events are over (Sony on Thursday, MS in July).

BGs

Industry Professional
What if we have a n64 vs PS1 situation where they needed disc based media for their vision of FFVII?
Do you think SSD will push more devs to go PS5 exclusive?
I mean, they're prasing the hardware left and right...
I think so. But I know many colleagues who think otherwise. It is an open debate.

That he say will happen with generic games surely. But if you want to enhance your creative streak without limits you will have to do without "elevators".

Many developers (new talents) should have the eternal discussion about where to direct their projects. Those with a business vision will surely opt for doing it cross-platform, choosing XSX as the base and adapting the PS5 version. On the other hand, those with creative vision generate exclusive for PS5. And I think, it is my opinion, that in the long run, PS5 will take over many exclusive little gems.

I'm probably going to throw stones on my roof, but hey, sometimes it doesn't hurt to speak based on an opinion. The following is a personal opinion based on my point of view, both as a worker and as a user. Don't be hard on me.

It is true that in both cases (exclusive or multis) the principle of Ockham's razor can be applied.

If we talk seriously, it is an interesting debate, because it is not that those who think that the logical thing is that the PS5 only benefits the exclusives are not right. They really do. Now, may some prefer to become exclusive?

It is always more comfortable to stay at the business level in the traditional and not risk. As my father says, if something works, don't touch it. But on the other hand, if you don't risk you don't change anything. If you want users to win you must take risks. And they will win with all those who decide to take risks and adopt the new system. Luckily EPIC has already done its bit to facilitate the use of this system. So that ultimately it is easier and cheaper than the traditional system. So the economic losses would not be "so much" for "creation" but for "sales". Spend more offering less artistic quality and cover more global market of possible sales or spend less offering less artistic quality and risking yourself in an exclusive market? For me the answer would always be ... "It depends on the quality of your product".

I also believe that it is something that will end up being established sooner or later, due to urgent need for work, or I hope that this is for the good of the industry, since if I do not believe that the creation of video games, at an economic level, would be unsustainable in a few years . Especially for small developers. And that would imply a reduction in the number of annual games and I do not think it is good for the user, nor for companies.

I've heard so many praises from developers here, in person about PS5. Personally I wouldn't change I/O for 2TF. I hope that in 48 it convince some other people thats sacrificing gpu was worth it.
Not gonna lie and not trying to doom-mongering, but I don't give two fucks about what devs say. During the wiiu time they also said "oh man the wiiu is so nice, it's really easy to work with" and we all know how that went. Same with the switch, the first thing you heard "it's so easy to work with" and if that thing wouldn't sell bonkers, you wouldn't see any real third party console dev considering porting their games. But if the ps5 versions have much less pop-ins and better LOD it's already better for me. Nothing is more annoying than playing botw and the grass + details only renders if it's 50cm in front of you.

You described the same thing, really. I had versions I bought that gave me PS3/PS4/Vita all in one. It's pretty much the same thing.
I thought you get two different games? That happened to me with Journey I guess. Got it during corona and now have journey ps3 and ps4 version. Regardless how it is implemented, I just want it to be implemented and especially for ghosts and tlou2

Andodalf

Banned
I don't think you understood my question, but it's ok, I'll expand.
I'm interpreting this "lowest common denominator" talk as a limiting factor for the more "powerful" hardware. With that in mind, and from what we understand now post UE5 demo, game assets will be stored with maximum detail, no lower poly counts are created for when the GPU us struggling or the distance to the object is greater than x. So in this respect, how can the ps5 GPU in any way be considered a limiting factor for other hardware? If anything, it would be a limiting factor for devs having to create multiple LoD assets still for games to run on other machines, not on the ps5.

If the ps5 gpu will limit anything, will be the resolution (probably) or framerate (less likely) when running a multiplatform game optimized for the XSX (would those even exist?)

You can have infinitely high quality assets, and the I/O to load them, but it doesn’t matter if you can’t render them. The number of triangles you can draw, the amount of light rays and bounces and sources and the shaders you use, and the alpha effects, and all the other post process effects, all have to be rendered by the GPU. No I/O is going to ever change that. No asset is going to change that. What I/O can do, As the UE demo showed, is hopefully bring some efficiency as you aren’t wasting triangles on sub pixel detail too much, as well as provide the ability to see way higher quality LoDs at extremely close distances. The most impactful element of that would be that it should require a bit less work on the artists as well. You mention that there are no low poly models, but that’s the exact opposite of what the UE demo showed, extremely dynamic levels of reduced Poly count made on the fly. The total number of triangles you actual render is GPU bound. Smart I/O hopes to more efficiently use that triangle count. And it wouldn’t really affect the rest of the renderer too much at all. When devs make a game, they set expectations not just for res/framerate, but for the overall visual feature set. When you design a game for PBR, it would look broken if you take it out. I don’t think either next gen console will be the bare minimum for any games for a long ass time, because devs want to support PC. But GPU power is always a limiting factor in design, and on what you see on screen.

I think so. But I know many colleagues who think otherwise. It is an open debate.

That he say will happen with generic games surely. But if you want to enhance your creative streak without limits you will have to do without "elevators".

Many developers (new talents) should have the eternal discussion about where to direct their projects. Those with a business vision will surely opt for doing it cross-platform, choosing XSX as the base and adapting the PS5 version. On the other hand, those with creative vision generate exclusive for PS5. And I think, it is my opinion, that in the long run, PS5 will take over many exclusive little gems.

I'm probably going to throw stones on my roof, but hey, sometimes it doesn't hurt to speak based on an opinion. The following is a personal opinion based on my point of view, both as a worker and as a user. Don't be hard on me.

It is true that in both cases (exclusive or multis) the principle of Ockham's razor can be applied.

If we talk seriously, it is an interesting debate, because it is not that those who think that the logical thing is that the PS5 only benefits the exclusives are not right. They really do. Now, may some prefer to become exclusive?

It is always more comfortable to stay at the business level in the traditional and not risk. As my father says, if something works, don't touch it. But on the other hand, if you don't risk you don't change anything. If you want users to win you must take risks. And they will win with all those who decide to take risks and adopt the new system. Luckily EPIC has already done its bit to facilitate the use of this system. So that ultimately it is easier and cheaper than the traditional system. So the economic losses would not be "so much" for "creation" but for "sales". Spend more offering less artistic quality and cover more global market of possible sales or spend less offering less artistic quality and risking yourself in an exclusive market? For me the answer would always be ... "It depends on the quality of your product".

I also believe that it is something that will end up being established sooner or later, due to urgent need for work, or I hope that this is for the good of the industry, since if I do not believe that the creation of video games, at an economic level, would be unsustainable in a few years . Especially for small developers. And that would imply a reduction in the number of annual games and I do not think it is good for the user, nor for companies.

I really liked that post, and I think it's going to be quite eye opening seeing how many creative people will make use of this new found freedom. We might actually finally have a game where a character can fly as fast speeds across vast game worlds without pop in or loadings... I honestly can't wait :)

I thought you get two different games? That happened to me with Journey I guess. Got it during corona and now have journey ps3 and ps4 version. Regardless how it is implemented, I just want it to be implemented and especially for ghosts and tlou2

You would get two different games, but that's just because you couldn't run PS3 games on a PS4.

I doubt we're going to have two types of digital SKUs this time around

Last edited:

Mr Moose

I think that's what smart delivery is, you own the Xbox One version of the game, if there is a Series X version, smart delivery kicks in (where available). It's just another name for Sonys version (cross-buy).

Smart Delivery: This technology empowers you to buy a game once and know that – whether you are playing it on Xbox One or Xbox Series X – you are getting the right version of that game on whatever Xbox you’re playing on. We’re making the commitment to use Smart Delivery on all our exclusive Xbox Game Studios titles, including Halo Infinite, ensuring you only have to purchase a title once in order to play the best available version for whichever Xbox console they choose to play on. This technology is available for all developers and publishers, and they can choose to use it for titles that will be release on Xbox One first and come to the Xbox Series X later.

Like, no BC, just the Series X version of it will install.
Unless I am understanding this completely wrong lol.

IkarugaDE

I will underline that with the following video.

We wouldn't have smartphones we know today without Apple. Without Steve Jobs, a crazy man who deviated from the norm and brought something revolutionary to the market. Today, every smartphone somehow builds on the basic ideas of the first iPhone.

So maybe Cerny and Sony have this "one more thing".

Neo Blaster

Not gonna lie and not trying to doom-mongering, but I don't give two fucks about what devs say. During the wiiu time they also said "oh man the wiiu is so nice, it's really easy to work with" and we all know how that went. Same with the switch, the first thing you heard "it's so easy to work with" and if that thing wouldn't sell bonkers, you wouldn't see any real third party console dev considering porting their games. But if the ps5 versions have much less pop-ins and better LOD it's already better for me. Nothing is more annoying than playing botw and the grass + details only renders if it's 50cm in front of you.

Crossbuy always meant getting versions for each platform, not just a patch(it wouldn't even be possible due to different architectures). To know what it will mean now for PS4/PS5 , we have to know if each console will have its own version(even different physical packages), or there will be a single version/package sold for both(difference would be a patch).

J_Gamer.exe

I really liked that post, and I think it's going to be quite eye opening seeing how many creative people will make use of this new found freedom. We might actually finally have a game where a character can fly as fast speeds across vast game worlds without pop in or loadings... I honestly can't wait :)

This is the type of thing I expect to see shown off on Thur. Fast flying at crazy quality. But I'm hoping to be wowed and surprised with things weve not even thought of.

You can have infinitely high quality assets, and the I/O to load them, but it doesn’t matter if you can’t render them. The number of triangles you can draw, the amount of light rays and bounces and sources and the shaders you use, and the alpha effects, and all the other post process effects, all have to be rendered by the GPU. No I/O is going to ever change that. No asset is going to change that. What I/O can do, As the UE demo showed, is hopefully bring some efficiency as you aren’t wasting triangles on sub pixel detail too much, as well as provide the ability to see way higher quality LoDs at extremely close distances. The most impactful element of that would be that it should require a bit less work on the artists as well. You mention that there are no low poly models, but that’s the exact opposite of what the UE demo showed, extremely dynamic levels of reduced Poly count made on the fly. The total number of triangles you actual render is GPU bound. Smart I/O hopes to more efficiently use that triangle count. And it wouldn’t really affect the rest of the renderer too much at all. When devs make a game, they set expectations not just for res/framerate, but for the overall visual feature set. When you design a game for PBR, it would look broken if you take it out. I don’t think either next gen console will be the bare minimum for any games for a long ass time, because devs want to support PC. But GPU power is always a limiting factor in design, and on what you see on screen.

I'm sorry, but we're discussing 2 different things. I know full well what a gpu does so let's not talk in circles.

I'll quote you: " The most impactful element of that would be that it should require a bit less work on the artists as well. " Yes, exactly my whole point.

Another one: "You mention that there are no low poly models, but that’s the exact opposite of what the UE demo showed, extremely dynamic levels of reduced Poly count made on the fly" I'm still talking about developers not having to spend resources to create these low poly assets, the software dynamically does it, which is a great thing and not a limiting factor for other hardware (PC? XSX?)

One more: "But GPU power is always a limiting factor in design, and on what you see on screen.", while a correct statement, it does not in any way contradict my previous post. It's a limiting factor but not in the same sense that the I/O - SSD combo is a limiting factor for other hardware. In that, literally you can't have the same game mechanics across all hardware. A GPU limitation, if any, means the same assets can still be displayed on screen only at a lower resolution/framerate, thus not limiting what a game can achieve on a different system.

In summary, when we're talking about 2 same generation GPUs (both RDNA 2 even), with a such a small TF difference, there is absolutely no game that will be hindered on the other console due to GPU limitations. This is why i'm opposed to the lowest common denominator speech on this point.

Nowcry

I totally agree with you on everything but on the other hand, we saw UE5 and we think ue5 will be very scalable, I think UE5 can support SX IO and PS5 IO without problem because they are using Zbrush assets. I think due to this tecnology all devs can use all power independent of plataform. When UE5 go out we will see all potencia of games 3rd partys on PS5. I'm wrong?

Last edited:

Resogun dev's next game said to be PS5 launch title (rumor). Seems to make a lot of sense to me. Was wondering if they would pop up for another PS launch

Housemarque’s mysterious new project is seemingly being published by Sony.

Housemarque, the Finnish studio behind Resogun, Nex Machine, Alienation and other arcade-like games, announced earlier this year that it’s ramping up production on its “biggest and most ambitious title yet”.

At the time, the developer announced that it had shelved in-development battle royale shooter Stormdivers, which the studio knew had little chance of succeeding in that busy space.

The new project was said to be published by a third-party partner, but Housemarque didn’t say who that was at the time. Now, according to Gamereactor.dk, the game’s publisher is none other than Sony, who plans to make the game available at the launch of PS5.

Faithless83

Banned

Thank you! I was really hoping for your opinion on it.
I believe this will push the industry forward. I remember Dreamcast era "weird" SEGA foundly, maybe this will bring the feeling back.

ToadMan

Because an SSD can’t render a single pixel. Ever. Under any circumstance. Both consoles can have any number of assets they couldn’t render. GPU will always be the primary bottleneck for real time 3D graphics. Followed by Memory Bandwidth.

This is such a tired argument.

You may as well say a turbo on an engine doesn’t output a single horsepower - but it sure assists the engine in producing more power by stuffing more air in. That’s what an SSD does for data in these consoles.

To talk about a gpu - a device so specialised at crunching data it is highly parallelised and pipelined - as if it exists independent of that data flow is ridiculous.

That’s what the statement “SSD can’t render a single pixel is” - a simplification so great as to be meaningless.

Last edited:
So, he's saying XSX and PC will hold next gen back? Hmm...
“I mean, there's literally 0 chance that levels will get changed just because the PS5 can load them faster, simply because it's way too expensive and work intensive to do that.”

What I'm also reading here is that the PS5s I/O system can literally change the design of the game. While I don't think we will see this huge design shift in multiplat 1st party titles and exclusives can go through it. Potentially this could mean some very interesting changes to game design that we haven't seen before.

The PS5s I/O does seem like a pretty big deal to me especially after hearing developers (like this one) say the same thing.

hemo memo

Gold Member
“I mean, there's literally 0 chance that levels will get changed just because the PS5 can load them faster, simply because it's way too expensive and work intensive to do that.”

What I'm also reading here is that the PS5s I/O system can literally change the design of the game. While I don't think we will see this huge design shift in multiplat 1st party titles and exclusives can go through it. Potentially this could mean some very interesting changes to game design that we haven't seen before.

The PS5s I/O does seem like a pretty big deal to me especially after hearing developers (like this one) say the same thing.

Faster elevators on PS5 at least?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
When you think it can’t get any worse in July...

bCp639k.jpg

44kn24.jpg

FeiRR

Banned
Ori Dev: PS5’s Super-Fast SSD is Nice For First Party Titles But Multiplats Will Be Developed for the Lowest Common Denominator

On paper, the SSD inside the PS5 has the edge over the next-gen SSD inside the Xbox Series X, but according to Mahler, it doesn’t make sense for third-party developers to adjust their titles around Sony’s SSD. Instead, the Ori creator believes that the majority of third-party devs will just develop for the lowest common denominator – e.g. the Xbox Series X and PC.

When PS5 is majority of the market again, more and more devs will decide to go exclusive not because they'll strike a deal with Sony but simpler and less restrained development will make their games more attractive. What is more, Xbox users with GP will be less willing to spend full price on games if they have a large choice of smaller but free games in the service. This will create a situation like with PC: fewer full-price sales so less incentive for devs to optimize for the platform. And since optimization might be not possible, they'll just start skipping Xbox. That's just a speculation but if the split is like 70/30, I think quite probable.

I will underline that with the following video.

We wouldn't have smartphones we know today without Apple. Without Steve Jobs, a crazy man who deviated from the norm and brought something revolutionary to the market. Today, every smartphone somehow builds on the basic ideas of the first iPhone.

So maybe Cerny and Sony have this "one more thing".

I wanted to write that Apple didn't invent the smartphone but Sony didn't invent SSD either. They just want to make it the standard.

When PS5 is majority of the market again, more and more devs will decide to go exclusive not because they'll strike a deal with Sony but simpler and less restrained development will make their games more attractive. What is more, Xbox users with GP will be less willing to spend full price on games if they have a large choice of smaller but free games in the service. This will create a situation like with PC: fewer full-price sales so less incentive for devs to optimize for the platform. And since optimization might be not possible, they'll just start skipping Xbox. That's just a speculation but if the split is like 70/30, I think quite probable.

I wanted to write that Apple didn't invent the smartphone but Sony didn't invent SSD either. They just want to make it the standard.

I can't possibly believe you guys actually believe that.

ToadMan

What was the Sega rumor? I didn't keep up with it.

A Japanese game journalist said he had a scoop “on par with” the PS5 interview with mark cerny from a year ago and that it would be public on June 4 And related to Sega.

So in the days running up some (gullible) people reached too far and thought MS were either acquiring Sega or entering into a strategic partnership with them.

The idea that such an announcement would be made in a game magazine didn’t seem to phase anyone. They just took it and ran with it and the rumour then found its way into other places which echoed it back into places like gaf.

Of course it was total rubbish. Sega actually announced a micro game gear and a cloud service for Japanese arcades.

No one is humbled by their over zealous swallowing of such obviously unrealistic rumours though. Instead people are looking for the next golden goose MS might be purchasing.

The latest rumour is ... no kidding... From soft!

ZhEnM2w.jpg

What yall think
If that is what is shown this will replace Sony’s E3 2016 as my favourite show ever. I think everything you listed is possible and will likely be shown at some point over the next 12 months, just not all this week.

I am so hyped to see what Housemarque have been up to. Nex Machina is in my top 10 games of the gen.

I would expect to see at least 1 maybe 2 titles from Japan Studio. Were they not rumoured to be working on a big space game? Also maybe Astrobot 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom