• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Till this day, I don't understand why this technically inept fool is a part of DF.

Wait they hired him?

tenor.gif

Sinthor

Gold Member
I really doubt SquareEnix will announce a new game, maybe a demo of an updated engine for the PS5. Hopefully Quantic Dream will show something mind-blowing as well.

Damn...if even half of that list was reality....that would be one HUGE announcement lineup. Even if that list IS accurate...how many would be launch titles? Realistically? Only one I know of that seems it would be is maybe Godfall?

Brudda26

If that is what is shown this will replace Sony’s E3 2016 as my favourite show ever. I think everything you listed is possible and will likely be shown at some point over the next 12 months, just not all this week.

I am so hyped to see what Housemarque have been up to. Nex Machina is in my top 10 games of the gen.

I would expect to see at least 1 maybe 2 titles from Japan Studio. Were they not rumoured to be working on a big space game? Also maybe Astrobot 2.
I have added another one since a PS4/PS5/PC sony developed free to play multiplayer title using decima engine. a BR game that uses locations from there library of games to build the map like having Olympus from GoW as a mountain area or broken cities retaken by nature from horizon. 1st and 3rd person, the character skins are the characters from all of sony titles and have skin variations. You have the traditional weapons like you would find in uncharted/days gone, slightly more futuristic weapons from killzone, traps and gadgets from horizon etc this is like a wild slingshot prediction.

saintjules

ZhEnM2w.jpg

What yall think

Teardown talk will definitely be a separate event. I feel that there are wouldn't be enough time in the hour to discuss it. Besides, supposedly it's a games only show.

This is also partly why I think that the reveal of the Console would be at the next event; to coincide with the teardown....On the other hand, the talk about the possibility of leaked images of the hardware during production could spoil a reveal in itself. So maybe it's imperative that they do show it on Thursday.

So I'm going to say we'll see it on Thursday, but in a quick, 'to be continued' fashion that will cliffhang us into the next event - the teardown.

Last edited:
We wouldn't have smartphones we know today without Apple. Without Steve Jobs, a crazy man who deviated from the norm and brought something revolutionary to the market. Today, every smartphone somehow builds on the basic ideas of the first iPhone.
In 2002 an inventor with a company visits Apple to present his idea of a phone that resembles the first iPhone a lot with touchscreen, swiping with a finger and so on. Even Steve Jobs took part in the 45-minute meeting. Time passes and the inventor's company goes bankrupt because no-one, not even Nokia, claims to not be interested. In 2005 Apple buys the patents from the bankruptcy estate and releases the iPhone in 2007.

As the inventor was watching Jobs' iPhone presentation on TV, with the very same phone in his hand that he showed to Jobs, he became so pissed off that he threw the phone at the wall. It didn't brake.

True story.

Last edited:

jimbojim

Banned
On paper, the SSD inside the PS5 has the edge over the next-gen SSD inside the Xbox Series X, but according to Mahler, it doesn’t make sense for third-party developers to adjust their titles around Sony’s SSD. Instead, the Ori creator believes that the majority of third-party devs will just develop for the lowest common denominator – e.g. the Xbox Series X and PC.

tenor.gif

But....

tenor.gif

Thank you, Moon Studios

aclar00

I will underline that with the following video.

We wouldn't have smartphones we know today without Apple. Without Steve Jobs, a crazy man who deviated from the norm and brought something revolutionary to the market. Today, every smartphone somehow builds on the basic ideas of the first iPhone.

So maybe Cerny and Sony have this "one more thing".

Whoa whoa, dont forget about pocket pc

When PS5 is majority of the market again, more and more devs will decide to go exclusive not because they'll strike a deal with Sony but simpler and less restrained development will make their games more attractive. What is more, Xbox users with GP will be less willing to spend full price on games if they have a large choice of smaller but free games in the service. This will create a situation like with PC: fewer full-price sales so less incentive for devs to optimize for the platform. And since optimization might be not possible, they'll just start skipping Xbox. That's just a speculation but if the split is like 70/30, I think quite probable.

This negative feedback loop could be a significant risk for the Xbox business. With MS’s consoles being effectively optional, especially in the early years, and the possible introduction of a low-end machine (the rumored Lockhart) neutering the power narrative of the XSX, I have trouble seeing a big upside. There is a value-driven approach here that can work for fans of MS’s studios, and I think that will keep them relevant.

Another intriguing suggestion made earlier, which is a bit on the wild side, is that the PS5 could have a more efficient architecture for ray tracing effects. With a large APU cache, complex geometry and long draw distances might be far easier, all the while preserving main memory bandwidth. This could end up being another advantage for exclusivity as more data structures would be designed to take advantage of this feature.

Anyway. there is more than one way to optimize around these new capabilities, and I am not privy to what the industry is doing. Whatever turns out to be the case, it is sure to be fascinating, and I suppose it just makes the wait all the more exciting. I suspect very few people anticipated what we finally witnessed with The Last of Us on PS3; and its sequel on PS4 is already blowing people away.

Said it many times but “good graphics” are the result of talented programmers and artists, and how well they are managed and provided with resources. Small differences in hardware means nothing if you don’t have the talent fully utilising it anyway.
Pointless to invest in your hardware if you don’t invest in your people.

Yee, exactly, which is why we should all invest in my juice, plenty for all, with ray traced cinnamon and jasmine notes. Mmm.

Audiophile

Are we sure about this is with some default HRFT baked in stream for demonstrating Tempest Engine? If so I would turn off VSS on my Platinum headset.

If they are in fact demoing 3D audio over the stream, HRTF will be a key component, so in that case it would be fair to assume they're applying a general HRTF that provides a good enough experience for most people.

One question: And from those who will watch on TV using TV speakers? Bistream or PCM linear?

It shouldn't make a difference with any modern TV, it's just a matter of whether you're passing PCM directly to your TV or if you''re letting the TV decode the stream into PCM itself. The DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter) in your TV will still get a PCM stream either way.

It only really matters for Dolby/DTS content being passed to a receiver; in which case it's best to choose bitstream.

Just remember you won't get 3D audio with tv speakers, you'll need headphones if you do wanna get that..

BGs

Industry Professional
I totally agree with you on everything but on the other hand, we saw UE5 and we think ue5 will be very scalable, I think UE5 can support SX IO and PS5 IO without problem because they are using Zbrush assets. I think due to this tecnology all devs can use all power independent of plataform. When UE5 go out we will see all potencia of games 3rd partys on PS5. I'm wrong?

UE5 should greatly facilitate some things. Yes. But even if the engine offers you the options, you have to want to use them. There will be those who want and there will be those who are not interested in taking that path even if they give you treats.

Fake

It shouldn't make a difference with any modern TV, it's just a matter of whether you're passing PCM directly to your TV or if you''re letting the TV decode the stream into PCM itself. The DAC (Digital-to-Analogue Converter) in your TV will still get a PCM stream either way.

It only really matters for Dolby/DTS content being passed to a receiver; in which case it's best to choose bitstream.

Just remember you won't get 3D audio with tv speakers, you'll need headphones if you do wanna get that..

Strange because Playstation blog only mention about Notebook speakers instead of TV speakers. And PS4 indeed have an option of bitstream Dolby/DTS. I can force PCM linear on both my PS4 and PCM hdmi in/out on my TV. If I remember right I read some sites about using that. PCM linear is the sound without compression and works as stereo for some TV speakers, but I need to choise RF instead of line in Samsung TV option, while RF force to regular stereo, line use Dolby compressed stereo.
I still care about TV speakers, but is very rare people talking about. Anw, I guess this time Sony is caring about TV speakers and one of the PS5 features will be focused on TV speakers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom