• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I don't want to trigger anybody but since we are sharing funny memes of both consoles, this one made me laugh out loud.
oQTSVOk.jpg

Great Hair

Banned
Not a chance in hell.

It´s based on GT Sport, not a new GT (by the looks of it). Has only GT World (with 5x tracks, 3x Regions = 15x tracks, 5x cups per track, 75 total races) and a Championship challenge (we got no info yet, lets assume about a similar amount)

After <150 races you´re done in GT7. There´s a mission mode like in GT4, but that won´t make it much bigger. GT Mode/World is limited to 75 races in total, when in prev. GTs you had to race twice as many or more.

GT World = Arcade
Championships = GT Mode
Special Events = Special

Guess i was wrong. Still gimmie 2020! 7 years waiting is enuff!!

Last edited:

ksdixon

I literally keep going back and forth on weather I like it or not...

I believe a lot will have to do with size. Both overall, and it's "slimness". Those white walls seem specifically shaped to hide the chunkinees of the with. And with the angles of the pics and stuff, maybe the console only "appears" thin in relation to what looks to be pretty tall height.

I think if it's a reasonable size, it'll be good. But if it's both tall and fat, it'll be a laughing stock.

Alright everyone. Put your big boy pants on and maybe take some prozac to make sure these impressions dont trigger you.

SlimySnake's Daily Dose of FUD coming right up.

Sony's marketing is absolutely delusional. When you have games like Demon Souls Remaster, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Resident Evil 8 in one show, and people come off of it underwhelmed, you have fucked up.

When you have seen the reaction to Microsoft's horrendous conference full of last gen games and indie shit no gives a shit about, you are supposed to do the complete opposite of that. Not double down. I have no idea why literally half an hour was spent on games that could've passed for switch games.

Everyone said people want to see gameplay demos from Microsoft like the ones Sony makes. Well, sony apparently doesnt make those demos anymore. The problem with not having demos is that you dont get a sense of the upgrade the CPU and the SSD would bring. Is there destruction in horizon, spiderman and demon souls? is the environment foliage interactive? are there physics? How is the SSD being utilized? Ratchet did a great job showcasing the SSD but that was literally it. If your own studios wont take advantage of the SSD, forget about third party studios. All this talk of the I/O and i swear i couldnt tell the difference. It's just prettier graphics. GT7 didnt even look that good. Sony shutdown the wrong studio because i swear DriveClub looked this good last gen.

Overall, a shockingly disappointing showing which had no business being disappointing. All they had to show was gameplay and features that make this console the biggest leap ever and they failed to do that. Their cutscene trailers didnt look as good as Microsoft's cutscene trailer either. Compare the ocean in horizon to the ocean in hellblade and its a generational difference.

MS has a great opportunity here to set the bar. Show us that next gen doesnt just mean pretty graphics, show us what makes the gameplay different. A super detailed crab isnt getting me hard anymore. i want to see hundreds of NPCs governed by that amazing CPU reacting to my actions in the world. That said, I am sure MS will fumble that too.

Apparently, showcasing games is harder than making them and these companies are fumbling over each other failing to excite us one after another.

Best Games of the Show:

- Demon Souls - absolutely stunning. it looks better than Horizon which means bluepoint has literally taken over GG as Sony's most technically advanced studio.
- Horizon - Despite the lack of gameplay, there is no denying it looks near CG at times. I wish we got to see some gameplay.
- Spiderman - From the small snippets i saw, it looked incredible.
- Ratchet - easily the best demo but there was hitching during the realm switching and that needs to be ironed out. It's clear that the ssd needs more than a second to load the next level. gameplay is more ratchet so meh. they shouldve focused on creating a demo for spiderman instead.
- Resident Evil Village - i thought this was cross gen but looked sufficiently next gen. character models were stunning.

Wait why were you angry? Does slimy snake have another FUD spreader?

I dunno man, I actually thought the announcements were great. Tons of games that looked fun.

Only disappointment is that we only got teased of next-gen gameplay like you said. I wouldn't compare Hellblade 2, a highly scripted and very likely extremely linear game, to Horizon. Horizon 2 looked outstanding.

I think Ratchet, Horizon, and Demon's Souls basically gave us hints at next-gen that I was looking for with this conference. But it was missing a really meaty next-gen gameplay demonstration. I think that, unfortunately, COVID is to blame for this. It's really going to be tough to create a vertical slice when everyone is working remotely right now.

Corndog

Banned
I literally keep going back and forth on weather I like it or not...

I believe a lot will have to do with size. Both overall, and it's "slimness". Those white walls seem specifically shaped to hide the chunkinees of the with. And with the angles of the pics and stuff, maybe the console only "appears" thin in relation to what looks to be pretty tall height.

I think if it's a reasonable size, it'll be good. But if it's both tall and fat, it'll be a laughing stock.
Seems bigger then series x by volume but can’t do any calculations without some official dimensions.

Alright everyone. Put your big boy pants on and maybe take some prozac to make sure these impressions dont trigger you.

Sony's marketing is absolutely delusional. When you have games like Demon Souls Remaster, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Resident Evil 8 in one show, and people come off of it underwhelmed, you have fucked up.

When you have seen the reaction to Microsoft's horrendous conference full of last gen games and indie shit no gives a shit about, you are supposed to do the complete opposite of that. Not double down. I have no idea why literally half an hour was spent on games that could've passed for switch games.

Everyone said people want to see gameplay demos from Microsoft like the ones Sony makes. Well, sony apparently doesnt make those demos anymore. The problem with not having demos is that you dont get a sense of the upgrade the CPU and the SSD would bring. Is there destruction in horizon, spiderman and demon souls? is the environment foliage interactive? are there physics? How is the SSD being utilized? Ratchet did a great job showcasing the SSD but that was literally it. If your own studios wont take advantage of the SSD, forget about third party studios. All this talk of the I/O and i swear i couldnt tell the difference. It's just prettier graphics. GT7 didnt even look that good. Sony shutdown the wrong studio because i swear DriveClub looked this good last gen.

Overall, a shockingly disappointing showing which had no business being disappointing. All they had to show was gameplay and features that make this console the biggest leap ever and they failed to do that. Their cutscene trailers didnt look as good as Microsoft's cutscene trailer either. Compare the ocean in horizon to the ocean in hellblade and its a generational difference.

MS has a great opportunity here to set the bar. Show us that next gen doesnt just mean pretty graphics, show us what makes the gameplay different. A super detailed crab isnt getting me hard anymore. i want to see hundreds of NPCs governed by that amazing CPU reacting to my actions in the world. That said, I am sure MS will fumble that too.

Apparently, showcasing games is harder than making them and these companies are fumbling over each other failing to excite us one after another.

Best Games of the Show:

- Demon Souls - absolutely stunning. it looks better than Horizon which means bluepoint has literally taken over GG as Sony's most technically advanced studio.
- Horizon - Despite the lack of gameplay, there is no denying it looks near CG at times. I wish we got to see some gameplay.
- Ratchet - easily the best demo but there was hitching during the realm switching and that needs to be ironed out. It's clear that the ssd needs more than a second to load the next level. gameplay is more ratchet so meh. they shouldve focused on creating a demo for spiderman instead.
- Resident Evil Village - i thought this was cross gen but looked sufficiently next gen. character models were stunning.

Thank for sharing your personal opinion about a console you are not going to buy.

At least, this time, you dont pretend to be a Sony fan anymore ;)

Last edited:

saintjules

Man, he's pretty smart with that analysis.

Indeed. Always good to listen in on his thoughts - even if it's speculation.

The digital model caught me off guard a bit as I mentioned earlier. These secondary SKUs will justify Sony and MS to upsell their standard model I feel. I'm now definitely thinking $499 minimum. My theory about the discless models not working is out the window. Lockhart will be digital as well most likely.

The question now is, how much of a gap do they have in between these SKUs. Is a $100 price gap enough if there's hardware limitations? I always looked at Lockhart potentially be $299. Just being discless isn't enough to warrant the cheaper price, but I can be completely wrong in that assumption.

Either way, I am curious on the digital model specs. The wait continues.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I dunno man, I actually thought the announcements were great. Tons of games that looked fun.

Only disappointment is that we only got teased of next-gen gameplay like you said. I wouldn't compare Hellblade 2, a highly scripted and very likely extremely linear game, to Horizon. Horizon 2 looked outstanding.

I think Ratchet, Horizon, and Demon's Souls basically gave us hints at next-gen that I was looking for with this conference. But it was missing a really meaty next-gen gameplay demonstration. I think that, unfortunately, COVID is to blame for this. It's really going to be tough to create a vertical slice when everyone is working remotely right now.
They had years to make demos for these conferences though. 3.5 years for horizon, 2.5 for demons. i blame this squarely on sony marketing. we are what five months from launch and we have no idea what the launch lineup looks like.

the demon souls gameplay screenshots dont look too hot either. gow looked as good. now im doubting the trailer.

demons_souls_ps5_reveal_screen_3.jpg

demons-03-1920x1080.jpg

It looks pretty current gen to me especially compared to horizon which literally looks like a pixar movie.

Jf78Rfd.gif

yPWXmMK.gif

Thank for sharing your personal opinion about a condole you are not buying.

At least you dont pretend to be a Sony fan anynore ;)
lol i see you joined a few months ago. i have been here 8 years. go look up my post history if you have any doubts. i have been doing this on forums for over 20 years.

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned

Best Games of the Show:

I think they should have either shortened it and mainly just shown the first party and bigger third party stuff. It also felt sterile to me. I am sure a major part of that is the lack of an audience. I think they should have invited a small audience and presented it like a show.

Also, besides showing the console they gave almost no new info about it. I can not fathom why they didn’t give more info about it. More images of it would have been nice as well.

Finally why no mention of backward compatibility? I thought at the very beginning that’s what they were going to do. Overall a huge missed opportunity for them.

Corndog

Banned

The digital model caught me off guard a bit as I mentioned earlier. These secondary SKUs will justify Sony and MS to upsell their standard model I feel. I'm now definitely thinking $499 minimum. My theory about the discless models not working is out the window. Lockhart will be digital as well most likely.

The question now is, how much of a gap do they have in between these SKUs. Is a $100 price gap enough if there's hardware limitations? I always looked at Lockhart potentially be $299.

I believe I read one article said only the Blu-ray drive is absent. Performance is the same. I can’t imagine the drive cost more them 30 bucks.

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The digital model caught me off guard a bit as I mentioned earlier. These secondary SKUs will justify Sony and MS to upsell their standard model I feel. I'm definitely thinking $499 minimum. My theory about the discless models not working is out the window. Lockhart will be digital as well most likely.

The question now is, how much of a gap do they have in between these SKUs. Is a $100 price gap enough if there's hardware limitations? I always looked at Lockhart potentially be $299.

I think this is a sucker punch from Sony, it could crush that laughable Lockhart before it's born with the PS5DE! Selling it at around $400 or even all the way down to $350. Remember, Sony is the or one of the inventors of blu-ray.

saintjules

I think they should have either shortened it and mainly just shown the first party and bigger third party stuff. It also felt sterile to me. I am sure a major part of that is the lack of an audience. I think they should have invited a small audience and presented it like a show.

Also, besides showing the console they gave almost no new info about it. I can not fathom why they didn’t give more info about it. More images of it would have been nice as well.

Finally why no mention of backward compatibility? I thought at the very beginning that’s what they were going to do. Overall a huge missed opportunity for them.

Mark Cerny mentioned about this teardown. I assume that's when we'll know everything about the hardware and what it will be able to do at launch in the least.

Someone said earlier that It.Is.June. - but they still have time to milk this in their marketing. Shit, I want to know it all now, but it looks like it will be a bit longer until we know it all.

They had years to make demos for these conferences though. 3.5 years for horizon, 2.5 for demons. i blame this squarely on sony marketing. we are what five months from launch and we have no idea what the launch lineup looks like.

the demon souls gameplay screenshots dont look too hot either. gow looked as good. now im doubting the trailer.

demons_souls_ps5_reveal_screen_3.jpg

demons-03-1920x1080.jpg

It looks pretty current gen to me.

lol i see you joined a few months ago. i have been here 8 years. go look up my post history if you have any doubts. i have been doing this on forums for over 20 years.

It's clear that Sony wanted to have two events. One to reveal a tease of the games and console. Another to announce price, launch lineup, and more extended gameplay.

Sony's marketing is fine based on all the likes and views they are generating right now. This was a good substitute for E3.

I agree that Demon's Souls, I was expecting to be a bit more impressive visually from the screenshots...but the trailer looked great, so IDK...could be selective screenshots. Either way I'm going to get it.

SlimySnake

It's clear that Sony wanted to have two events. One to reveal a tease of the games and console. Another to announce price, launch lineup, and more extended gameplay.

Sony's marketing is fine based on all the likes and views they are generating right now. This was a good substitute for E3.

I agree that Demon's Souls, I was expecting to be a bit more impressive visually from the screenshots...but the trailer looked great, so IDK...could be selective screenshots. Either way I'm going to get it.
well i hope the second event is a bit better than this. i would like to get some more info on the UI, Backward compatibility, boost mode, and some gameplay.

btw,check out the horizon gifs i edited in my post above. we have pretty much achieved pixar quality graphics. we made it.

Thedtrain

I think this is a sucker punch from Sony, it could crush that laughable Lockhart before it's born with the PS5DE! Selling it at around $400 or even all the way down to $350. Remember, Sony is the or one of the inventors of blu-ray.
Yea, I think Sony can take a larger loss with the PS5DE. It makes sense to me that the digital buyer would be worth more money to Sony over time. They’d have their CC connected to their account, they’d pay full price in their store etc

Last edited:
well i hope the second event is a bit better than this. i would like to get some more info on the UI, Backward compatibility, boost mode, and some gameplay.

btw,check out the horizon gifs i edited in my post above. we have pretty much achieved pixar quality graphics. we made it.

Second event will definitely show more gameplay of the launch titles, I mean it has to. I guess that's the big question though...how much will actually be ready at launch?

I hope both Ratchet and Demon's Souls make it...Maybe GT7 too, but I think that could be asking too much. I think we may only get one of those at launch.

Yeah, the Horizon trailer is absolutely insane looking. That and Ratchet were the big standouts imho.

SlimySnake

Second event will definitely show more gameplay of the launch titles, I mean it has to. I guess that's the big question though...how much will actually be ready at launch?

I hope both Ratchet and Demon's Souls make it...Maybe GT7 too, but I think that could be asking too much. I think we may only get one of those at launch.

i think ratchet and spiderman will be their only games at launch. demon is probably march and horizon is probably fall.

GT7 is like whatever. they didnt even show damage and weather.

Last edited:

Thedtrain

i just found out spiderman is cross gen. also on ps4. what???

i think ratchet and spiderman will be their only games at launch. demon is probably march and horizon is probably fall.

GT7 looks like it need a lot more polish. I expected a racing game, especially a GT game, to blow me away- it did not lol

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

The DualShock 4 in section is about 10cm from bottom of the handles to triggers. Assuming the DualSense is about as large, and the renders from the trailers are to scale, the PS5 should be a bit short of 40cm.

That's one big fucking router, my friends.

2lz1e9Q.jpg

You know what they say about big routers...they stream seamlessly?
*I was trying to work that into a joke, but it feels like I failed...

Last edited:

Corndog

Banned
Why does it matter?
Ah interesting. So, do you think $499/$399 pricing here? I mean, it is definitely logical.
No idea. I think both companies are waiting for the other to go first on price and then respond accordingly. Might be a game of chicken. Who can wait the longest.

Last edited:

B_Boss

Well Sony certainly implied that essentially, there won’t be a difference, simply no disc functionality. Seems to the only hardware difference is that one has a disc drive, the other does not. They said:

At PS5’s launch, we will offer two options: a PlayStation®5 console with an Ultra HD Blu-ray disc drive and a PlayStation®5 Digital Edition without a disc drive. The PS5 gameplay experience will be the same, so the choice is all yours.

Also, is it me or does that disc drive opening look too small lol? Maybe it’s me 🤔....

Last edited:
i just found out spiderman is cross gen. also on ps4. what???

That's probably correct. There was a rumor that said Ratchet would be ready in 2020, even said maybe mid-2020 (I guess Sony was possibly going to do an early launch..?)

it certainly looks the most complete out of all of them. I think Ratchet would be mostly good enough. Demon's Souls for Spring would be a great launch window title to look forward to. Hopefully Horizon is fall 2021.

Sony revealed a lot, but honestly....they kept a lot close to their chest. Naughty Dog, Sony Santa Monica, the new San Diego studio, the rumored Silent Hill project. Then you can take into account Bend, Ready At Dawn, etc....

The next time E3 2021 rolls around all those studios could show something.

ONE BIG DISAPPOINTMENT I HAVE THOUGH - No Killzone MP shooter :cry: I really wanted to be wowed again by a gritty KZ2 MP type shooter in next-gen fidelity.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
i just found out spiderman is cross gen. also on ps4. what???[/B]

Wouldn't be surprised but receipt on Spiderman being cross gen?

Last edited:

ksdixon

PS have gotta have another big event at some point.... right?

No Batman, COD, FIFA, star wars, battlefeild, destiny/ubisoft marketing deals shown off. No big rumors like Castlevania/MGS remakes, New Crash game, Silent Hill reboot, SOCOM Remake, PS All-stars smash bros 2, TLOU2 remaster for PS5 or standalone PS5 TLOU Factions game etc.

No price, no OS menus, no news on subscription changes to PS+/PSNow like merging the two, which was rumored.

No plans announced for PC ports or crossplay/crossbuy policies. No confirm or deny on PS1/PS2/PS3 Backwards Compatability rumors.

No back buttons on controller despite recent ps4 back button addon being massively loved, and sold out. No secrets of the controller revealed (back buttons? Touchscreen? Wireless charging accessory. An "elite" version of controller?)

No rundown of the new create button and how it's different to the share button. What they've beefed up ShareFactory video editing, or SharePlay 2.0, whatever that whole "share a vertical slice of the game with your friend" thing was about.

With all of the kiddy and anime style games I literally felt like I was watching a Nintendo or MS stream for most of it. I thought they'd do one hour of that, most of the second hour on heavy hitters, and finish off with a run-through of general announcements/policy announcements and OS features and hardware.

No Batman, COD, FIFA, star wars, battlefeild, destiny/ubisoft marketing deals shown off. No big rumors like Castlevania/MGS remakes, New Crash game, Silent Hill reboot, SOCOM Remake, PS All-stars smash bros 2, TLOU2 remaster for PS5 or standalone PS5 TLOU Factions game etc.

No price, no OS menus, no news on subscription changes to PS+/PSNow like merging the two, which was rumored.

No plans announced for PC ports or crossplay/crossbuy policies. No confirm or deny on PS1/PS2/PS3 Backwards Compatability rumors.

No back buttons on controller despite recent ps4 back button addon being massively loved, and sold out. No secrets of the controller revealed (back buttons? Touchscreen? Wireless charging accessory. An "elite" version of controller?)

No rundown of the new create button and how it's different to the share button. What they've beefed up ShareFactory video editing, or SharePlay 2.0, whatever that whole "share a vertical slice of the game with your friend" thing was about.

With all of the kiddy and anime style games I literally felt like I was watching a Nintendo or MS stream for most of it. I thought they'd do one hour of that, most of the second hour on heavy hitters, and finish off with a run-through of general announcements/policy announcements and OS features and hardware.
I think they are playing chicken with MS to see who is going to drop the release date and price

you wont see that until after the MS first party stuff next month and i honestly dont think MS will announce it during that show

Dabaus

Banned
I kind of agree that all all digital was a sucker punch at Microsoft but also Sony wanting to hit that 399 price point. Now, I have no idea what the pricing scheme will be for ps5 but we know Sony likes 399. I think the Ps5 was always intended be at or around that price but manufacturing issues because of Covid and lockheart made them switch plans.

I think we’re lik looking at 399 digital Ps5 and a 499 regular edition. There’s no way there isn’t a 100 dollar difference between the Digital and regular and I can’t see Sony ever wanting to go near 599 again so I’m saying 549 max for the regular and nothing more than 449 for the digital only.

Last edited:

jose4gg

- No ND second-team game.
- No Santa Monica new game
- I don't recall any new Studio been shown as the rumors suggested.
- No new PlayStation Network functionalities.

They have a decent amount of surprises in the Bag, now we've seen the console, and PS5 was trending on Twitter with like 6 different keywords...
The stream was watched by millions of people and already surpassed the like of the Xbox Series X reveal...

So... July is the next big date, with Xbox showing their first-party games, if they do an incredible job, PS5 will have to conquer and I don't doubt they know how to...

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member

MS has kiddy and anime style games?

SlimySnake

Wouldn't be surprised but receipt on Spiderman being cross gen?

where are you getting this from?? its a PS5 game. Ive also seen people trying to claim its a dlc with no source
Yah it's tales from my friends ass. I thought he read it somewhere the way he told me. This guy is gonna get me banned.

I'm gonna edit it out before this fud spreads some more. It looks next gen as fuck to me..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom