• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
c0sJ7TA.jpg

just putting this out there before the console gets revealed.

Can you see the 2 blue lines, an effort was made to highlight them in the teaser and they have a distinct look about them. I think we’ll see very similar lit line sort of design on the actual console itself, more specifically on the V shape cooling system. Just my guess.

PPsGQuM.png

"and you can call me Mystic Dan because I predict deez tingz"

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
lol that’s not the V shape you were talking about at all. No dice there bud
Didn't see this design coming honestly, no one did. We all thought we'd get a more refined version of the dev-kit, but those blue lines are there on the front of the console just as I said they were similar to what we see on the Dualsense.

Last edited by a moderator:
They have time, plus you will notice the gameplay portion did still have lod like effects with trees, and shadows were popping in, textures in some areas popping in. Nitpicking, but leads me to think early engine work.

Yeah I thought so too, but they're usually pretty particular with what they show. We'll see soon, I guess!

TLZ

Banned
Very happy they showed the console. Now we know what it looks like and mockups can stop. I like what I saw. It looks different yet still sleek. I prefer these types to bland boxes. Also looks pretty phat and big, so cooling must be good.

Anyway, I've gone through the games again one by one in the PlayStation channel, and here are the games I'm interested in:

Pragmata
Astro's playroom (that's preloaded in the PS5 anyway)
Horizon Forbidden West
Little Devil Inside (On PS4 too)
Deathloop
Resident Evil Village
Demon's Souls (Not a souls fan, but Bluepoint's, and it looked great)
Gran Turismo 7
Kena Bridge of Spirits
Destruction AllStars (A very cool take on destruction derby meets twisted metal)
Returnal
Stray
Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart
Project Athia (is this Agnes Philosophy?)
Spiderman Miles Morales (this must be the system seller for this holiday)

What were your favs everyone?

Last edited:

Roronoa Zoro

Gold Member
Man I'm finally feeling that next gen hype! When they hit the triple right at the start with Spidey, gt, and ratchet I knew they were coming in guns blazing. Horizon and that astronaut thing and the square game and so many more! There's so many I'm interested in or definitely getting. I don't think I've ever seen a console reveal so game heavy and that's awesome to see

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Alright everyone. Put your big boy pants on and maybe take some prozac to make sure these impressions dont trigger you.

SlimySnake's Daily Dose of FUD coming right up.

Sony's marketing is absolutely delusional. When you have games like Demon Souls Remaster, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Resident Evil 8 in one show, and people come off of it underwhelmed, you have fucked up.

When you have seen the reaction to Microsoft's horrendous conference full of last gen games and indie shit no gives a shit about, you are supposed to do the complete opposite of that. Not double down. I have no idea why literally half an hour was spent on games that could've passed for switch games.

Everyone said people want to see gameplay demos from Microsoft like the ones Sony makes. Well, sony apparently doesnt make those demos anymore. The problem with not having demos is that you dont get a sense of the upgrade the CPU and the SSD would bring. Is there destruction in horizon, spiderman and demon souls? is the environment foliage interactive? are there physics? How is the SSD being utilized? Ratchet did a great job showcasing the SSD but that was literally it. If your own studios wont take advantage of the SSD, forget about third party studios. All this talk of the I/O and i swear i couldnt tell the difference. It's just prettier graphics. GT7 didnt even look that good. Sony shutdown the wrong studio because i swear DriveClub looked this good last gen.

Overall, a shockingly disappointing showing which had no business being disappointing. All they had to show was gameplay and features that make this console the biggest leap ever and they failed to do that. Their cutscene trailers didnt look as good as Microsoft's cutscene trailer either. Compare the ocean in horizon to the ocean in hellblade and its a generational difference.

MS has a great opportunity here to set the bar. Show us that next gen doesnt just mean pretty graphics, show us what makes the gameplay different. A super detailed crab isnt getting me hard anymore. i want to see hundreds of NPCs governed by that amazing CPU reacting to my actions in the world. That said, I am sure MS will fumble that too.

Apparently, showcasing games is harder than making them and these companies are fumbling over each other failing to excite us one after another.

Best Games of the Show:

- Demon Souls - absolutely stunning. it looks better than Horizon which means bluepoint has literally taken over GG as Sony's most technically advanced studio.
- Horizon - Despite the lack of gameplay, there is no denying it looks near CG at times. I wish we got to see some gameplay.
- Spiderman - From the small snippets i saw, it looked incredible.
- Ratchet - easily the best demo but there was hitching during the realm switching and that needs to be ironed out. It's clear that the ssd needs more than a second to load the next level. gameplay is more ratchet so meh. they shouldve focused on creating a demo for spiderman instead.
- Resident Evil Village - i thought this was cross gen but looked sufficiently next gen. character models were stunning.

Now that the anger is gone I've watched the trailers in 4K. Ratchet and Clank is the most impressive by far, I mean, by a freaking mile. It seriously looks like an animation came to life. Kena looks very good, as does REVIII. GT7 and Horizon look good enough, I'm sure they'll improve.

And that's it.
Wait why were you angry? Does slimy snake have another FUD spreader?

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
I'm still blown away by the PS5 design, I think it looks super sleek, curvy and futuristic. Here are some reactions to the hardware reveal which I thought were great, I've time stamped the links!

Last edited by a moderator:

HAL-01

Alright everyone. Put your big boy pants on and maybe take some prozac to make sure these impressions dont trigger you.

SlimySnake's Daily Dose of FUD coming right up.

Sony's marketing is absolutely delusional. When you have games like Demon Souls Remaster, Horizon 2, Spiderman 2, GT7, Ratchet and Resident Evil 8 in one show, and people come off of it underwhelmed, you have fucked up.

When you have seen the reaction to Microsoft's horrendous conference full of last gen games and indie shit no gives a shit about, you are supposed to do the complete opposite of that. Not double down. I have no idea why literally half an hour was spent on games that could've passed for switch games.

Everyone said people want to see gameplay demos from Microsoft like the ones Sony makes. Well, sony apparently doesnt make those demos anymore. The problem with not having demos is that you dont get a sense of the upgrade the CPU and the SSD would bring. Is there destruction in horizon, spiderman and demon souls? is the environment foliage interactive? are there physics? How is the SSD being utilized? Ratchet did a great job showcasing the SSD but that was literally it. If your own studios wont take advantage of the SSD, forget about third party studios. All this talk of the I/O and i swear i couldnt tell the difference. It's just prettier graphics. GT7 didnt even look that good. Sony shutdown the wrong studio because i swear DriveClub looked this good last gen.

Overall, a shockingly disappointing showing which had no business being disappointing. All they had to show was gameplay and features that make this console the biggest leap ever and they failed to do that. Their cutscene trailers didnt look as good as Microsoft's cutscene trailer either. Compare the ocean in horizon to the ocean in hellblade and its a generational difference.

MS has a great opportunity here to set the bar. Show us that next gen doesnt just mean pretty graphics, show us what makes the gameplay different. A super detailed crab isnt getting me hard anymore. i want to see hundreds of NPCs governed by that amazing CPU reacting to my actions in the world. That said, I am sure MS will fumble that too.

Apparently, showcasing games is harder than making them and these companies are fumbling over each other failing to excite us one after another.

Best Games of the Show:

- Demon Souls - absolutely stunning. it looks better than Horizon which means bluepoint has literally taken over GG as Sony's most technically advanced studio.
- Horizon - Despite the lack of gameplay, there is no denying it looks near CG at times. I wish we got to see some gameplay.
- Spiderman - From the small snippets i saw, it looked incredible.
- Ratchet - easily the best demo but there was hitching during the realm switching and that needs to be ironed out. It's clear that the ssd needs more than a second to load the next level. gameplay is more ratchet so meh. they shouldve focused on creating a demo for spiderman instead.
- Resident Evil Village - i thought this was cross gen but looked sufficiently next gen. character models were stunning.

Wait why were you angry? Does slimy snake have another FUD spreader?
I recommend taking a deep breath maybe go for a jog at the park sit next to a tree and calm down a little

Last edited:
T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
Serious Question -
Didnt Jason Schreier say there were no cooling issues and ps5 wouldnt be huge?

It looks pretty huge to me.
Not sure about him saying it won't be big but he definitely shut down the overheating rumours which were BS to begin with, I mean they were based of a Youtube comment lmao

Also others such as RedGamingTech who is usually a bit biased towards Xbox shutdown the rumours too and claimed devs told him the console was running completely fine, however it was possible that very early dev kits may have had heating issues because Sony didn't have the thermals under control + other factors.

Murder187

You know what's crazy the game that was done by one dev looked better than all the games they showed lol except ratchet that game looked amazing

Barakov

I'm still blown away by the PS5 design, I think it looks super sleek, curvy and futuristic. Here are some reactions to the hardware reveal which I thought were great, I've time stamped the links!

Look at these rubes. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

wE8dTy7.gif

Playstation has its' version of this.
However, People on Playstation don't get excited for their company of choice selling them cardboard.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I thought there were some really pretty games; I'm not a graphics whore though so not what I was focused on. Just thought in general most games weren't my cup of tea.

HZD2 I think is what I'm most excited about; love open world games.. hopefully they expand on RPG mechanics and make it a bit more sandboxy this time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom