• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Gamer.exe

Ok so I'm miles behind and may never catch up in this thread and all the rest so I'll post this here. Fairly long post....

My analysis of last nights reveal. (Was 9PM reveal in uk)

So the event itself overall was good. It started well and there was a bit if a lull somewhere around halfway through as they got some more 'cartoony' games in there but pretty much all games looked great graphics wise and with some looking incredible. Then it finished the event strongly.

Ratchet and clank looks cgi and has that superfast loading into new worlds section. That along with the graphics did excite me. They then followed it up with some pre alpha footage gameplay that still looked insane and had tons of effects and particles flying everywhere.

I think the event was paced pretty well however I can see why some like Bg's were a little disappointed if they know what ps5 can do and they didnt show more of that type of game rather than some lesser ones in the middle of the show. It wasn't a wall to wall brute force of unique power and titles.

Its almost like they gave us all a taste and left us wanting more and kept a lot back.

Anyway without going into each game I will mention one last game and that's horizon.

Some lunatics had been saying it didnt look like a leap.... wow. Go back and watch horizon trailers from ps4. It looked great with a current gen view but the footage we saw yesterday some was like cgi super stylized.

I really think judging by some comments not just on this site but across the internet some people don't know what they are looking at sometimes. I'm no expert just a hardcore casual gamer 😏 but only people who need their eyes checking as well as their heads IMO, would question the Horizon trailer.

Also heard 'it wasnt gameplay'. Well what if it was in parts and will look exactly like that? The bit when that machine comes out the water. I've watched the trailer so many times now and its breathtaking and the music is so beautiful it made hairs stand up.

Can you imagine if someone on twitter said to Guerilla wheres the gameplay and they replied, that basically is gameplay, it looks like that we just moved the camera round for some of the scenes.

I really think it'll look like that in a lot of scenes. The one where she climbs up and theres plants in the foreground and beautiful sky etc in the back, looks like its basically gameplay.

I've seen a gif on here but no idea where to find it.....

I'm just blown away by it and its probably still improving and getting to grips with the hardware.

The console itself I think is great. Its futuristic, stylish and slick. The horizontal view even is growing on me. I just think it looks pretty cool if a bit unconventional. I think there were renders I liked more in a traditional way but I'm still loving this one, the real tower of power? LOL It looks better than the xbox would lying horizontal.

I like how it wasn't pushed for this is that res and this is that. If a game looks stunning and like cgi and you find out it was 1600p upscaled with temporal injection to 4k but it's almost unnoticeable who cares? For me next gen shouldn't look to play res wars but cgi wars. Lower res upscaled and cgi and 30fps if necessary over 4k 60 for the sake of it and current gen look anyway. Obviously some titles differ in between depending on need. Some could be upscaled 4k 60 and still look incredible.

All in all a good show and a feeling a lot more to show. We still need to see load time demos, teardown, more evidence and explanations of how the unique power is used. Obviously more games that push the boundaries of what's possible.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
This again is going back on Sony's two? previous 'clarifications'. The below video is exactly what I understood Mark Cerny meant with PS5 BC. Sony have made a pigs ear of this IMO.

Anyone got any idea why Sony have gone back and forth on this issue so many times? It genuinely baffles me. They were OK with zero BC for PS4 so why did they have to mess it up trying to put it in PS5 to "compete". As you can tell this issue has really pissed me off on principal and I don't even care about BC.....!

It doesn't go back on anything. People just can't read or listen. They interject unsaid words to make a claim Sony has never made.

Everything Sony has said that BC requires testing; not some "boosted BC vs non-boosted BC"... BC.

But not having another back and forth on this as there have been several already and it's always the same shit... people claiming things Sony didn't say.

Is it possible there is a non-boosted BC mode where games just work? That all of the talk of "testing" refers to a separate mode Sony has never explicitly described? Sure. They could be being coy or waiting to give the full picture.

Last edited:

Released 1 day ago: 13M

tNDtnqc.jpg

Released 183 days ago: 12M

xSLccdo.jpg

PS. But Sony does not know shit about how to market the PS5 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Last edited:

Kureo

Neo Member
I'm wondering :

Was the reveal of a full digital PS5 the meaning no PS1/2/3 retro ? Why would people buy the All-Digital when you could play older games on the "basic" version ?

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Relased 1 day ago: 12M

u4ZCAU7.jpg

Relased 183 days ago: 12M

xSLccdo.jpg

PS. But Sony does not know shit about how to market the PS5 :messenger_grinning_sweat:

The quality and games market themselves. Thyve proven Gen after Gen thy have the goods. Marketing has been good but their best marketing has been their history and consistency with output of goty and goty contenders. It's insane how consistent thy are just today TLOU2 released and is sitting on a 96 meta.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I wasnt looking for it, just noticed it when re-watching the event in higher res. Look at the lights in the tunnel (timestamped).

Also noticed, just now, from 1:48 ceiling lights in the tunnel are just going crazy

Yes, actually GT7 is the least impressive graphically between all of the PS Studio games so far, noticed ladder effects as well. I think their engine isn't utilizing the Geometry Engine and other HW inside PS5.

LED Guy?

Banned
WOWOWOWOWOWOWOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The Last of Us Part II got a 96 on Metacritic and DESTROYED THE HATERS LIKE THE WHORES THAT THEY ARE!!

Oh and PlayStation 5 showcase was next-gen, but I feel like TLOU 2 looks and plays next-gen already, that is a testament to how masterful Naughty Dog is!

Sony have absolutely DESTROYED it!! And we still have Ghost of Tsushima coming in July too!

5zp6Z59.jpg

sj5DAK9.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It looks like a lot of fun! My only problem is... the name of the game LOL it sounds far too generic.

But than we have "Rocket league" and that sounds generic as well. So what do I know:goog_what:

They didn't put that name "AllStars" out of nothing. Expect all PS Studios iconic protagonists and antagonists to feature in the game through its life cycle. It's the next big thing, I tell you.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned

The Last of Us Part II got a 96 on Metacritic and DESTROYED THE HATERS LIKE THE WHORES THAT THEY ARE!!

Oh and PlayStation 5 showcase was next-gen, but I feel like TLOU 2 looks and plays next-gen already, that is a testament to how masterful Naughty Dog is!

Sony have absolutely DESTROYED it!! And we still have Ghost of Tsushima coming in July too!

5zp6Z59.jpg

sj5DAK9.jpg

Yesterday I posted that metacritic score at 95 here and it got mass reported from salty members until it got deleted. Those goons aren't stopping it.

giphy.gif

Last edited:

Delpij

Although the conference was top tier, I still think Sony was holding back, and that surprises are far from being over on both the hardware and game sides. My guess is that Microsoft feels confident in their ability to counter Sony with their 1st party titles right now. I am one of the Playstation gamers that preferred the 360 over the PS3 (which might also be why I think Naughty Dog is overrated, but that’s a different story...). Even though that’s an often dismissed narrative, I do think Microsoft has the ability to poach players from competition with their exclusives, just like they did in the PS360 era. Once the Halo, Forza and family showcase is out of the way, will we be in for another treat?

schaft0620

Can't make threads, so just going to post it here.
ULF7ihN.jpg

if you look closely you can see a microphone. So why does a playstation remote, that is only there to talk with your ps5 has a microphone? Easy, the patented ai assistant will be actually in the console. That's what they will probably tell us next month or in august too.

Are you talking about the mute button? The camera has a mic.

Gravemind

Although the conference was top tier, I still think Sony was holding back, and that surprises are far from being over on both the hardware and game sides. My guess is that Microsoft feels confident in their ability to counter Sony with their 1st party titles right now. I am one of the Playstation gamers that preferred the 360 over the PS3 (which might also be why I think Naughty Dog is overrated, but that’s a different story...). Even though that’s an often dismissed narrative, I do think Microsoft has the ability to poach players from competition with their exclusives, just like they did in the PS360 era. Once the Halo, Forza and family showcase is out of the way, will we be in for another treat?

I'd be very surprised if they were holding any more games back. I think what they showed is what they have.

They'll probably do a console breakdown, show the UI, and outline some of their key console features in events throughout the summer. But to expect more game to be revealed? I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Neo Blaster

The only thing that make me disappointed from ps5 event is that they don't show actual demon souls and horizon 2 gameplay and I don't know if they gonna show them in August event or not,😞
I'm really thinking Sony hold them back for the sake of TLOU2 and GoT. We didn't have gameplay from DS, HZD2 nor Spiderman, very little(albeit great) from Project Athia and Kena and some gameplay(definitely great) from Ratchet & Clank and GT7, two games that wouldn't cause trouble to the style of games ND and SP are releasing. After their releases, Sony can unleash the Kraken (sorry for the pun) in August.

Last edited:

TLZ

Banned
ezgif.com-gif-maker-41b7a322ba893e54f.gif

The facial work and animations are absolutely stunning!

GG were always a technical juggernaut but after seeing what KojiPro was able to achieve with their engine in Death Stranding, I can't even imagine what goodies they have lined up for us in this game on back of that collaboration.
Was this in-game btw? Because after watching it, that's what I'm expecting the game to look like.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I thought Godfall looked really fun yesterday. I have kinda dogged it in the past and said "I'm just in for the loot" but this little trailer is pretty solid imo

--------------------

Standalone game, not an expansion

I spent more than $50 on visual microtransactions on Uncharted 4, so Naughty Dog gave me Lost Legacy for free! I was surprised. But it's because of the Digital Deluxe.

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy Free for Uncharted 4 Digital Deluxe Owners.

SSfox

5zp6Z59.jpg

sj5DAK9.jpg

Playstation consoles always ends consoles generations in awesome ways, great to see it's still the case and hopefully it will stay that way.

I'll always keep support as long as they keep doing it.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
I'd be very surprised if they were holding any more games back. I think what they showed is what they have.

They'll probably do a console breakdown, show the UI, and outline some of their key console features in events throughout the summer. But to expect more game to be revealed? I wouldnt get your hopes up.

Jim Ryan already went on record and said "thy have lots more games in development"

Cory was suppose to show something based off tweets day before but it wasnt shown. We know they are working on one or two projects. Guerilla has two teams so another game is being developed besides Horizon 2. Naughty dog also is more than one team. Yeah there's alot still out there even though imo what thy showed yesterday is way more than competitors have shown in presentations in the past and more than gd.

Last edited:
Yes, actually GT7 is the least impressive graphically between all of the PS Studio games so far, noticed ladder effects as well. I think their engine isn't utilizing the Geometry Engine and other HW inside PS5.
GT is ALWAYS the least impressive game shown on PS hardware reveals. The improvements made are usually massive as time goes by. When GT for PS4 was revealed it looked like GT6 with some improvements here and there. Just like GT7 now.

saintjules

I'd like to think that they are holding back a few games for the teardown and for the supposed August SoP. Perhaps some demonstrations of loading times and whatnot on the games shown, plus some others. "tons" to show, Jim Ryan said. I think this is just the beginning, but I'm already trying to tame my expectations.

Some of these games also didn't have release dates. I wonder if some of them were not shown on purpose to then surprise us later that they are indeed for the launch. HZD would be huge for launch, but I think it will be Q1-2 for 2021. Not sure what to make of all the announcements yet.

Last edited:

Grodiak

Jim Ryan already went on record and said "thy have lots more games in development"

Cory was suppose to show something based off tweets day before but it wasnt shown. We know they are working on one or two projects. Guerilla has two teams so another game is being developed besides Horizon 2. Naughty dog also is more than one team. Yeah there's alot still out there even though imo what thy showed yesterday is way more than competitors have shown in presentations in the past and more than gd.

For sure tons still in various stages of development. Whether or not we'll see them prior launch is a whole different question.

This is fine though, in my opinion. We only got a tease of each title yesterday. Each game could have its own "special showcase" trickled out, say every other week with gameplay etc - and... hell, we'd pretty much be at launch at that point :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom