• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamwest24

Hey guys,

First post. Just trying to wrap my head around size. I’ve seen a lot of comparisons between consoles—some not taking into account the two stands on the two PS5 designs or the Series X, so I decided to try to match more of an overall volume perspective instead of just a head on image. I only have my I phone camera so I’m sure a lot of my phone shots skew/warp the perspective of the systems and controllers, but here’s a very rough scale comparison from a different angle.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Not sure anyone noticed but
z8123fL.jpg

That's not a grain effect
There are PlayStation symbols on the inner rim
Damn Sony with those small details

Wonderful catch, sir! I think Sony made those offset labia to protect the air flow (most likely exhaust, intake from the back) as someone might place the console in a tight space, which is always not good.

My original PS4 and PS4 Pro never been cleaned or serviced, they're both dead silent most of the time and barely hear a thing because I always place them in an open, or near open spot.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Wonderful catch, sir! I think Sony made those offset labia to protect the air flow (most likely exhaust, intake from the back) as someone might place the console in a tight space, which is always not good.

My original PS4 and PS4 Pro never been cleaned or serviced, they're both dead silent most of the time and barely hear a think because I always make it in an open, or near open spot.
Really Bo, Really fs lol

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Huh? Since when posting a factual score gets reported and deleted?

Not sure, but that mod was kinda angry in his message to me (anonymous), I think mostly because reports were outrageous yesterday with all the salty concern trolls all over the forums. All I did was typing "So far" and a screenshot of the metacritics page. But you know, things happen. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Sinthor

Gold Member
Anyone else impressed by Stray?
That was the game that made me go WOW graphically funnily enough as it reminded me a lot of Love, Death and Robots episode Three Robots.

Love, Death and Robots
e54959e5e44a2851b26431f4c65ffb76.png

B6A60BD368D8F4DCE81465FA163C1C6F592B17B3

Stray
stray.png

sony-ps5-jeux-annonces-playstation-stray-w782.jpg

I actually thought that it looked really good and also looks like it might be a refreshing and different kind of game. I like those. Sometimes it's great to take a break from the "kill everything that moves" type games that are so much more common. So I'll probably check it out when it comes out.

Aldo Raine

Neo Member
One of the most anticipated games right now! The game looks impressive.

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240983.jpg

Kena_BOS_GameArt.jpg

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240977.jpg

VillageRunning.jpg

woodknight-parry_wq75.jpg

rotcarry_t56g.jpg

Some of the screenshots from the gameplay shown, that some concern trolls try so hard not to see.
One of the most anticipated games right now! The game looks impressive.

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240983.jpg

Kena_BOS_GameArt.jpg

Kena-Bridge-of-the-Spirits-240977.jpg

VillageRunning.jpg

woodknight-parry_wq75.jpg

rotcarry_t56g.jpg

Some of the screenshots from the gameplay shown, that some concern trolls try so hard not to see.
Agreed, this looked incredible. I cant wait to explore this world. Kind of looks like zelda meets pikmin.

So there are still no news concerning the new AAA secret studio from SIE (San diego ) with James Martinchek and Quentin Cobb ?
As far as I know there is no news about it. Also there is no news about the rumored Guerrilla's shooter with the R6 Siege devs, I was hoping to see something about that game yesterday.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Anyone else impressed by Stray?
That was the game that made me go WOW graphically funnily enough as it reminded me a lot of Love, Death and Robots episode Three Robots.

Love, Death and Robots
e54959e5e44a2851b26431f4c65ffb76.png

B6A60BD368D8F4DCE81465FA163C1C6F592B17B3

Stray
stray.png

sony-ps5-jeux-annonces-playstation-stray-w782.jpg

Oh heck yes! When I watched in 4K it looked even better. Sleeper game for me, for sure. I am most definitely looking forward to this one!

Last edited:
Me.ga 4K videos link

Makes all the difference thanks.

I think after watchong the full 4K video of Ratchet and clank and Horizon, the 1080p30 compressed you tube format is not the way to present next gen games, it does not work at all. Sony need to figure this out .

If Netflix and amazon can stream 4K, then console manufacurers need to find a way to do it properly on their platform.
It is all about concurrent viewers streaming a specific single content, no streaming platform on the world right now can provide all viewers with 4K on a hour long content streamed worldwide.

People all around the world might be watching Netflix but concurrently they do not start watching at the same exact time and tune in to the same exact content. I get where you are coming from but these things are not the same, Netflix is streaming platform yes, but the event was a LIVE STREAMING, completely different monsters especially during worldwide Covid19 internet bandwidth capping times.

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
They have at least one more event to go, rumoured for August. Guessing they'll unveil price then as well

1 more event in August *that we know of*, it's fair to say they haven't played all their cards yet, I think there are still some big surprises to come over the next few months, maybe Sony are saving them to counter Xbox reveals so they have control of the "mind share", just my guess but we'll have to wait and see.

There's also some other technical specs on the consoles that Cerny has not yet revealed but was leaked by RedGamingTech, MooresLawisDead and few others about the customisations Sony have made to their CPU and GPU, customisations which maybe featured in future AMD chips further down their roadmap as has been the case before.

They also need to show off the UI as well as the console teardown, we may also learn more about the consoles hardware and its cooling solution along with the unique features of their OS including the new "create" button. This I feel won't be shared in a State of Play event but maybe held on a more tailored event which will be held by Sony soon if I had to guess.

Sinthor

Gold Member
1 more event in August *that we know of*, it's fair to say they haven't played all their cards yet, I think there are still some big surprises to come over the next few months, maybe Sony are saving them to counter Xbox reveals so they have control of the "mind share", just my guess but we'll have to wait and see.

There's also some other technical specs on the consoles that Cerny has not yet revealed but was leaked by RedGamingTech, MooresLawisDead and few others about the customisations Sony have made to their CPU and GPU, customisations which maybe featured in future AMD chips further down their roadmap as has been the case before.

They also need to show off the UI as well as the console teardown, we may also learn more about the consoles hardware and its cooling solution along with the unique features of their OS including the new "create" button. This I feel won't be shared in a State of Play event but maybe held on a more tailored event which will be held by Sony soon if I had to guess.

I think we've seen all the info we're going to get this month, except for more games and trailers as the developers will now be able to talk about both PS5 and XSX. I expect maybe the teardown in July and more about the UI and BC in August, or maybe the reverse of that.

I think it's funny that they haven't released pricing. You can sense the panic about that, especially with the two different versions Sony will have. I laughed out loud at the Digital Foundry video where they were claiming this was a "mistake" for Sony and would lead people to being more apprehensive of the higher price, etc. I mean...they didn't say the same about Microsoft and Microsoft revealed a lot longer ago. So shouldn't THEY release pricing information first? I would think that "fear" or apprehension would be more for people with Microsoft, because isn't that the more powerful box?

Just too funny. Bottom line, I think both companies will only release pricing when they get to the point where they need to open up pre-orders. The reason? With everything that's happened this year, manufacturing sites may be changing, prices of components may change. The longer they wait (assuming that things get better) the more that stuff will stabilize and allow them to make adjustments downward to pricing. So they will hold on as long as they can. Of the two companies Sony has the by far more feasible strategy in releasing two different consoles. First, the PS5 Digital isn't a CPU or GPU gimped machine. It is only missing a BD drive. They could theoretically release it at a significantly lower cost, especially if their market research leads them to believe most people will get the higher end model anyway. That would just put pressure on Microsoft and if Sony sell's fewer of those, it's less loss. Or they can release both boxes at different but not that different prices and whichever one really takes off becomes the main model and they can quietly discontinue the other.

MS on the other hand...if the rumors are true, have the R&D costs of another hardware platform and their low cost platform has significant performance and hardware differences from their flagship XSX model. I've said for a long time, I don't think this is a viable strategy for Microsoft, but we'll see.

Ptarmiganx2

These vids, pics, look good but don't do justice. Much of these games are going to make ppl smile with awe while playing due to the graphical fidelity.

The graphics are going to be insane, but the lack of load times and seamless transitions are going to totally change the experience. This is going to be something that is even more impressive when it’s in our living room.

Very interesting interview with Eric Lempel, PlayStation’s Head of Global Marketing and Consumer Experience.

Key points:
- Astro's Playroom game is FREE.
- 30 exclusives on PS5
- Same SSD size on the PS5 Digital version

PSB: We’ve learned that there are two PlayStation 5 systems. What can you tell me about the logic and the strategy there?

Eric: The idea here is, there’s a second [PS5] that represents the growth of the digital business over the years…. And a lot of consumers have shifted the way they interact with our products. Part of my job, and my team’s, is to talk to consumers all the time, understand what they like and what they want. And there’s a segment of consumers that just want to go digital.

So this is the answer to that need. It’s a discless version [of PS5]. It’s important to note that, it’s essentially the same product. You’re not talking about any change to features, or any change to power. It’s the same product, with slight cosmetic differences, and no disc drive. So it’s all digital.

Source:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom