• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FeiRR

Banned
Seconding this comment to infinity! :)

Seriously though, the only "mistake" if you want to call it that is Sony's call to make the controller primarily WHITE. Unless they have some kind of magical coating, the controllers will get dull, then grey or even yellowish with not that much use. Same for the console, IMHO. I mean the color and color combo LOOKS kick-ass to me. Just....I can imagine how quickly both will get dirty and dulled. That's the main reason I'd prefer a black console. Or even other, but dark colors and color schemes. The link someone sent out earlier for PS5 skins for the controller and console had some great options for some other darker colors that could be used.

Again, to be clear, I think it looks awesome. I just think I'd prefer to have black or another dark color so it doesn't look dirty after a few months of use. Yeah, I know...I can clean and wipe them off and I would. But the white, however pretty, will simply look dirty and get dulled fairly quickly. So I hope there are at least options though I know that's not likely at launch. So I'll just have to get one of those skins right off the bat.
I don't think it'll go yellowish. Plastic changing colour due to UV exposure was a problem about 20 years ago. There are better materials now. But I agree about it getting dirty, especially if they put those tiny symbols into the surface. I really hope you can remove those panels without voiding warranty. I won't even wait till replacements are available, I'll just have them powder painted. A white console will be a big bright spot in my peripheral vision while playing and I don't want that.

Two comments on shown accessories:
1. Official charging station: looks like a redesigned version of the current one, which isn't that great. I'll probably get it anyway because third-party solutions are usually bad quality but I've always had problems with controller fitting easily into the dock and the moving part got worn after about a year of use and is now difficult to dock.

2. Official Pulse headset. I'm glad the USB receiver is back. I prefer it to BT because it gives you better range and less distortion. Also makes the headset compatible with PC/Mac (I use it a lot now to work from home).

Last edited:

HAL-01

This was probably mentioned and I'm just slow but this looks like the first evidence of being able to ride on flying robots.

Horizon_Forbidden_West_SanFran.jpg
I'd say its a given, a lot of areas shown dont look accessible at all on foot, plus we're getting so many detailed bird's eye views that it wouldnt make sense if we were stuck on the ground. The world will be much more open and explorable this time around, got heavy Breath of the Wild vibes from the trailer.

Im 100% sure we'll get an Avatar moment where we climb on those flying robots and traverse the seamless world

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
It’s not that simple. It also comes down to the games people wanna play, mostly. The Xbox One has been cheaper than the PS4 with all their fire sales the last 4+ years and it still can’t outsell it.

At launch, it is that simple. Here's why - if Sony only has 1m PS5 units available at launch while Xbox has 2m at launch, those who are casuals and are just looking for a next gen console but one is sold out, the consumer is going to buy the other one. Can't sell/buy something if the actual PS5 unit is sold out and not on store shelves. Holiday time, parents don't give a shit and will buy the cheapest console or the one that's not sold out.

Xbox One and PS4 isn't an accurate comparison because the generation has been over sales wise for years. Can't compare that to a console launch when it's literally ZERO consoles sold to ZERO consoles sold.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
At launch, it is that simple. Here's why - if Sony only has 1m PS5 units available at launch while Xbox has 2m at launch, those who are casuals and are just looking for a next gen console but one is sold out, the consumer is going to buy the other one. Can't sell/buy something if the actual PS5 unit is sold out and not on store shelves. Holiday time, parents don't give a shit and will buy the cheapest console or the one that's not sold out.

Xbox One and PS4 isn't an accurate comparison because the generation has been over sales wise for years. Can't compare that to a console launch when it's literally ZERO consoles sold to ZERO consoles sold.

You’re putting a whole lot of what if scenarios and qualifiers to make your point work.

jose4gg

No ties whatsoever. It's simply based on two factors. First, if Sony does hit $400 which I highly doubt, Xbox Series S will be $300 and people can believe whatever they want but the lowest priced console will always be the highest seller period. Second, if one platform has less consoles at launch and through March 31st, 2021 which in this case is PlayStation and comes from Sony itself while the other platform won't have this issue and will have a price difference of at least $100 if not $200, the cheaper console will sell more, plain and simple. 90% of consumers are casuals and aren't looking to spend a fortune nor are they going to. They just aren't. But we'll see. If im wrong, I'll admit as such.

The Nintendo Switch must be the best selling console if your statement is correct...

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
It will be when it's all said and done.

The problem with this thinking is that simple sales "winning" isn't the key. It has to be sales DOMINANCE to count for anything real. For example, the PS3 ended up beating the X360 by a few million units..so ok, it "won." BUT, that generation was Microsoft's most successful by far and "losing" by a what was it, like 1 or 2 million wasn't really material as far as the market went. It didn't mean that developers abandoned the Xbox in favor of Playstation or anything like that because it wasn't a HUGE and material difference.

Now, it will be interesting to see what effect if any the current generation has on the game marketplace, because this generation, Sony fully dominated, selling more than double the amount. MS sold off most of its 1st party development during the generation which was a clear reaction to the disappointing sales. We don't know what, if any, effect this generation will have on the games market. It does APPEAR right now that most developers are using the PS5 as their default platform, but what other effects there may be will have to be seen.

That's not the full point though. What I'm getting to is that in relation to what you're saying, it won't help Microsoft to "win" by selling a million or so more Xbox Series S than Sony sells PS5's. The only way this will really pay off for Microsoft is if that product DOMINATES by selling double or more what Sony does. If they can do that and get all those users to subscribe to their services, they may be able to offset their losses and more. Of course, if that happens, it will fully cannibalize their sales of Series X and THAT will cause a massive loss for Microsoft that it would take an AWFUL LOT of Series S and subscription services to make up for. All that R&D plus the manufacturing costs, PLUS the R&D for the Series S will have to be compensated for before MS makes any profit on the generation. Plus, companies usually have higher margins on their higher end products so having Series X sales taken by Series S would be a net loss for Microsoft which again, will cost them more and require more sales to make up for. On the other hand, Sony has one set of R&D costs for the PS5 because the digital version is only different in that it lacks the optical drive. No changes to GPU, CPU, etc.

I really and truly hope that Microsoft doesn't go the Series S route, particularly if the rumors about it having a different, lighter GPU, etc. are correct. I think it will hurt them profit wise and hurt their brand. But, that's just my opinion. It could just as equally turn out to be one of those GENIUS moves that catapults them to the next level. Time will tell. Make no mistake though, going with that low end type strategy will require sales dominance by Microsoft, not just "winning" the sales war. If that doesn't happen, it could mean big trouble for the future of Microsoft's gaming hardware division.

Two possible scenarios for Sony:

1. Sony reveals the price before MS

PS5: $499 - including the Media Remote to sell you the idea that you are buying a 4K BluRay/Home Cinema System too.
PS5 DE: $399 - to undercut the Series X

2. Sony reveals the price after MS

PS5: Match the price of the Series X
PS5 DE: $20/$50/$100 cheaper (depending on the PS5 final price)
If I was MS, I would put the Series X at $399 lol (not going to happen)

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
I said the cheapest console will simply sell more during the holiday season.

You didn't mention the holiday at all and in fact were talking up thru March 2021. If what you're saying is that a $300 Series S might sell more over the 2020 HOLIDAY season...well, you could be right. I'm not sure though how you expect Microsoft to be able to supply far more of both Series X and the mythical Series S than Sony can produce of just one product in the PS5? I think if anything, MS might be able to produce more of their COMBINED product line, but that's about it. Plus, MS hasn't announced anything so people are still assuming that somehow MS is unaffected by the same production factors that have seen Sony adjust production downwards. That may be overly optimistic. But we'll see. Still fun to speculate on all of this!

Last edited:

yewles1

No ties whatsoever. It's simply based on two factors. First, if Sony does hit $400 which I highly doubt, Xbox Series S will be $300 and people can believe whatever they want but the lowest priced console will always be the highest seller period. Second, if one platform has less consoles at launch and through March 31st, 2021 which in this case is PlayStation and comes from Sony itself while the other platform won't have this issue and will have a price difference of at least $100 if not $200, the cheaper console will sell more, plain and simple. 90% of consumers are casuals and aren't looking to spend a fortune nor are they going to. They just aren't. But we'll see. If im wrong, I'll admit as such.
The N64, Dreamcast and Gamecube would like to have a word with you...

Vaztu

Sony have blocked game codes to be sold from retailers, haven't they? If you grab PS5 DE, the only way to buy games is from PS Store, be it through credit cards or PS Store money gift cards sold by retailers. That's a great incentive for it to be cheaper than the disc version and an entry point for casuals.

From physical stores yeah, but can't you buy codes from Amazon? To be fair, the seller would probably be Sony, but does Amazon get a cut?

Custom SSD, cooling and ps5 design. I think they'll be priced equally.

Yea I think they will be priced equally as well. PS5 Cooling and design costs more, its fair speculation; volume-wise I still think XSX is greater. For Custom SSD, its their flash controller that costs more, and its R&D costs than manufacturing cost. They have fewer GBs compared to XSX.

The game of chess between Sony and MS keeps going on. MS moved the June 'Xboxing' event to August. That was probably their price reveal showcase. Sony have State of Play in 'early' August. Someone has to give.

FeiRR

Banned
This reminds me of soccer teams who lead in the beginning of the match, just to end up bloodied and beaten by the end of the second half.

"But, but... they were in the lead!!!"
The end of this fiscal year will be a huge loss for SIE, probably billions huge. The amount of money they've invested in PS5 R&D and games is staggering. It will return with profit in the following years, though.

ToadMan

I don't even know what that means. I was talking about violence, not racial issues. People murdering people for whatever reason they seem fit.

I put that in because later I said something like - “I only saw white people in God of War”. That point was just a response to those saying that games had started to erase white people. It wasn’t a comment about violence.

As far as I know, both games use similar trope of powerful supersoldiers killing religious zealots because reasons. I'm sorry if I'm wrong, I've always tried to skip cutscenes in those games because, as you pointed out, it's for children.

I think the concept here isn’t the violence or the graphic nature of it. The acts aren’t important.

The problem is the concept of “we good, they bad” - god is on our side let’s go and kill the heretics.

That’s the message of a lot of video games - not just Halo and Gears. The problem to me seems to be that most simplistic storylines - whether games, movies or other media - don’t keep rolling for years and years like this. There’s no nuance in those games.

That coupled with the gameplay being stuck in a rut, has given the whole series a kind of lack of awareness of its own crassness.

It’s not about the violence portrayed - there isn’t anything that shocking. It’s the context of what violence there is that seems hackneyed.

Shooters aren't the same and not all of them are like COD. I'd like something else and Sony can deliver such a game. By the way, Killzone games have a very interesting and not obvious pitch on the problem of oppression and the oppressed. One based not on race but rather social differences and that's something I can relate to. Probably because Guerilla is a Dutch studio.

Yes I understand - that’s why I said that Sony shouldn’t compete with the big multiplat shooters “on their turf” - trying to recreate fortnite or COD or what have you. If Sony can find a way to be different then fine.

Killzone, in terms of story, was an attempt to justify the “bad guys” as having a more believable motivation. I don’t mind that but I also felt that something didn’t quite sit right in that story.

I’d happy enough to see a new killzone but if I were Sony looking to start a new FPS franchise with different source material.

GT7 vs GT Sport. GT7 looks nearly identical imo, very underwhelming.

Wouldn't you think a compressed youtube video would benefit the lower end version? Plus what about the loading times? Amount of cars with high detail cockpit view? Number of tracks? Dynamic weather? The reflections of GT7 are much better too.

BTW GT Sport is a hell of a beautiful game too, so the more tangible benefits will be everything else, hard to improve graphics in a mind blowing way there.

ToadMan

Phil said long ago they wouldnt be beat on power and price. They have given away GP for a long time to gain get people in their ecosystem.

The thing with gamepass though is that while it might get people to come to your ecosystem, they’re not invested in it.

They don’t “own” anything as a result of gamepass so there’s not the incentive to stay.

Now that’s not necessarily bad from a Consumer perspective - if Sony offered something similar (PSnow is the closest I suppose) then you could just jump back and forth with deals.

But as it stands, people own quite large collections on whichever platforms they have - those are tangible even if they’re digital.

The risk of gamepass is if people want to try something different they just jump out of the MS environment, spend money on stuff they actually buy and then don’t want to come back out of a desire not to lose their investment.

I think gamepass is really an interesting change in the marketplace - but I don’t know if it engenders value in the content the same way a purchase would.

I mean compare to Netflix. So much content now - it’s probably all great - but I can’t watch it all and to be honest I feel no attachment to Netflix. If an equivalent service came tomorrow at half Netflix price and offered just the non Netflix content, I’d jump straight to that.

I wouldn’t be so mercenary if I’d bought that content.

Last edited:

ToadMan

From what I'm aware it's not a timed exclusive its solely a PS5 only title for its entire life from what I've read. Mind you I've been reading so much stuff I could be confusing with something else.

Ah it is coming to PC

“Project ...” games rarerly get released and the ones that have (I’m looking at you project spark) usually shouldn’t have been Lol.

To me this is a game that everyone might as well forget - put it in the box with Agent and FF vs, Deep Down etc.

ToadMan

The reflections update faster on GT7, likely genuine RT. Was it worth it? nope - even an a/b test requires focus and concentration to see the differences. Drop the accuracy and deploy the power on fakery to create overall illusion of more realism. SHeesh, not happy. Sorry to fans, but I speak my mind.

Difficult to compare the physics, FPS, sound with a side by side video though.

That’s not to defend GT7 as such - it’s more to point out that there are other qualities in a sim besides graphical fidelity that can swing the balance. If they’ve upgraded the physics and grip models then I’d be more than happy if the graphics are basically no different.

Personally I still think GT7 was targeted for a PS4 release but PD are PD and didn’t make it ...

ZehDon

Gold Member
... The risk of gamepass is if people want to try something different they just jump out of the MS environment, spend money on stuff they actually buy and then don’t want to come back out of a desire not to lose their investment...
I disagree - but only slightly. The investment Microsoft is hoping to generate isn't attachment to a specific hardware kit like Sony. That kind of Investment is flippant - Microsoft saw players abandon them in their millions when the Xbone imploded at its reveal - so I think they're pivoting, and wisely. They're, effectively, re-building their brand, and have been all current generation. Xbone meant DRM, the worst version of third party games, and poor value. Now, Xbox means the most powerful console and, with Gamepass, it means incredible value.

What Gamepass does is generate piece-meal income from people who wouldn't have otherwise spent a dime. The thinking is it's better to get $15.00 from 10 people than $60.00 from two. To get that $15.00, Microsoft are banking on a rotating list of titles to generate interest - titles that players who wanted to buy it would have done so already, so the people trying it on Gamepass are ones who wouldn't have bought it otherwise. A second chance for a game to capture an audience, by lowering the barrier of entry. When it rotates out, if you love it, you'll buy it. If not, nothing of value was lost - and Microsoft got their $15.00 that they wouldn't have otherwise.

10 million players and counting are clearly believers. After a while, how many would be invested in Gamepass as their source of new games? Go a whole generation, and how many would be so invested in Xbox and Gamepass, in trying new games every month, that they wouldn't ever consider swapping out unless Sony offered up the same and more: every exclusive from every generation they've ever had on demand to download locally, in addition to a raft of high quality third party titles? That's the kind of investment I think Microsoft are looking for: changing peoples habits around gaming the same way Netflix has changed it for movies and TV. It's their differentiator. Will it work? Time will tell - but like I said, 10 million players and counting.

Cyborg

Im wondering if we could see some increased cloud saving for the PS5 Digital? You download the games on a ''online HD'' that is much faster then downloading it from PSN. So if you want to play a game you acces it on the cloud and it downloads to your SSD. Could it work or wouldnt it make sense?

Neo Blaster

Why don’t they just drag the slider and scale it to run on current gen consoles? Capcom are so lazy and anti-consumer I tell you!
We're talking about loading assets here, they would either use a lot smaller assets for current gen(more time/resources spent to make different versions) or simply scrap the high quality ones and force parity for everyone. They chose not to compromise their vision nor schedule/budget.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Yea I think they will be priced equally as well. PS5 Cooling and design costs more, its fair speculation; volume-wise I still think XSX is greater. For Custom SSD, its their flash controller that costs more, and its R&D costs than manufacturing cost. They have fewer GBs compared to XSX.

The game of chess between Sony and MS keeps going on. MS moved the June 'Xboxing' event to August. That was probably their price reveal showcase. Sony have State of Play in 'early' August. Someone has to give.
Volume wise I'm not sure which one will be the biggest, might be very similar. But the overall design of the PS5 is more complex, curves and all, so I can imagine that that's also more expensive. But in the end, the custom casing is the least expensive part of the whole console. It probably doesn't even have an influence on the price.

I guess pricing will be announced for both consoles in August. Can't imagine that Microsoft would wait any longer if they announce Lockhart, it's likely in the same presentation that they announce Lockhart and pricing for both consoles. Do we already have a date for the August events of Microsoft and Sony?

Brudda26

GT7 vs GT Sport. GT7 looks nearly identical imo, very underwhelming.

There is more to it in racing games than outright visuals. The more powerful hardware allows for much more complex physics simulations so you can get a much more accurate experience. It's why games like iracing whilst ugly cant be done on current consoles due to the physics simulations. As someone who has played sport for probably close to 1000hours I can tell you right now though the environmental detail in the GT7 trailer is leaps ahead of sport. There is also the rearview camera and mirrors, in sport after about 100m or so the world literally disappears and has a really low resolution, in 7 that appears to be completely gone.

LiquidRex

I hope Gran Turismo 7 improves visually before release, that trailer was disappointing. There ground textures on the curbs were something you'd expect from PS3, I know there won't be car damage like you get from the likes of Dirt which is a shame, but I expect something close to photo realism in a driving game next generation and I don't jus mean the cars either.

I just wonder with the likes of Dirt Project Cars next gen, could Gran Turismo 7 be the make or brake for Polyphony 🤔

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom