• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
That wasn’t him, that was Jim Ryan.
Oh yeah maybe I gotta admit I have trouble reckonizing people by face

everyone had to record from their houses so the presentation people used a bunch of post processing to make them look better, they looked off and people thought they were cg rendered on PS5. He's just joking about it
Yeah that's one possibility that I had in a later post.

LiquidRex

So how many PS5 owners will colour the white areas with a black permanent marker 😜

But jokes aside, I hope theres an all black version to match my TV and Sky Box 😜

zaitsu

Banned
Quote From Phil:

“I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming chief, in an interview with The Verge. “If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success.”

Interesting... This could mean that they will try to match the price of the PS5 or go below it... Thanks for the info. It's so hard to think what MS will allow the Xbox team to do, but I personally think matching the price is good enough but not powerful enough to win against PS5... So the idea of going below the price must be in their minds...
Glad he didn't mention games, because I would need to buy both consoles.

At launch, it is that simple. Here's why - if Sony only has 1m PS5 units available at launch while Xbox has 2m at launch, those who are casuals and are just looking for a next gen console but one is sold out, the consumer is going to buy the other one. Can't sell/buy something if the actual PS5 unit is sold out and not on store shelves. Holiday time, parents don't give a shit and will buy the cheapest console or the one that's not sold out.

Xbox One and PS4 isn't an accurate comparison because the generation has been over sales wise for years. Can't compare that to a console launch when it's literally ZERO consoles sold to ZERO consoles sold.

Casuals don't buy launch consoles.

Microsoft will definitely undercut Sony’s Price.

If Sony is aggressive with the digital version and cuts $100 off MS may not be able to undercut them. I know they aren't saving $100 or even close to it by taking the disc drive out but every game sold on that console will be through PSN where they will get not only the $7.00 licensing fee but also the estimated $15.00 retailer cut as well, if that is the breakdown they'd make back the loss with basically 4 games sold and most people at launch by several games.

HAL-01

I hope Gran Turismo 7 improves visually before release, that trailer was disappointing. There ground textures on the curbs were something you'd expect from PS3, I know there won't be car damage like you get from the likes of Dirt which is a shame, but I expect something close to photo realism in a driving game next generation and I don't jus mean the cars either.

I just wonder with the likes of Dirt Project Cars next gen, could Gran Turismo 7 be the make or brake for Polyphony 🤔
i was disappointed as well, it was definitely not a Driveclub moment
I expected the game to look the way photo mode looks on current gen racing games

DduSW9P.jpg

HAL-01

You do realise with those photos modes like the one you've put above is literally a photo of the real world with the car placed ontop. We were never getting that level of visual detail.
Yes i do realize, no need to be condescending. I mean i'm disappointed they're practically using the same engine as current gen with a few extra effects bolted on top, when the PS5 could easily handle a completely revamped environment lighting model. I promise you we'll have games that look closer to my example than you'd think, pretty early on in the PS5's life.

Nickolaidas

“Project ...” games rarerly get released and ...

SHUT UP!!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!

Pre alpha version of the game. Just wait for the retail version to check it rightfully.
Just explaining the difference between the instantaneous teleport in the same world and the planar travel one that takes two seconds in the trailer that we saw.

Last edited:

LiquidRex

i was disappointed as well, it was definitely not a Driveclub moment
I expected the game to look the way photo mode looks on current gen racing games

DduSW9P.jpg
It should be expected, otherwise why invest in next gen, Ray Tracing is so much more than refl
SHUT UP!!! SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP SHUT UP!!

Just explaining the difference between the instantaneous teleport in the same world and the planar travel one that takes two seconds in the trailer that we saw.

Project Awakening, has that been officially shelved?

Neo Blaster

Damn! That game looks on FIRE. I mean, if you like Spider Man. I think the people trying to claim that this is just DLC that's being spun off into a hastily put together standalone game.....just another lame attempt at detracting. Insomniac runs at least two teams at all times and there is ABSOLUTELY enough time for them to have been developing it. Yep, it likely IS using the same engine from Spiderman, updated and (duh!) they can re-use assets for the city and buildings...I recall reading that they had high res scans they used for the first game and downscaled them so...same assets and less down-scaling?

Just unreal how people are spreading all the salt, trying to detract from this game. Seriously ridiculous. Let's just see when the game actually gets released how it is and how much content it has, shall we?
This game will put a lot of pressure on the team developing the proper sequel, at least we won't see it in the next two years.

B_Boss

UV5BLwR.jpg

The trailer is still doing numbers, it's been trending since thursday to. Since I left for work this morning it's gone up nearly 1 million. I would also guess by the likes to dislike ratio the majority of people absolutely love the design.

You know, that was what got me thinking on how big the PS5 actually is: the disc drive. From the moment I saw the console w/disc drive, it looked small as hell relative to the rest of the console lol. That’s also just insane how the views are piling up🍻.

Neo Blaster

The game says "designed for PS5", which I understood that the game is made to use the PS5 I/O SSD advantages, but like you said will come to PC, but even PC doesn't have a System I/O like PS5, so I have my doubts.

Probably the game will be different, or the PS5 Assests will be higher and heavily. If my interpretation is right I can see some elevators or other loading things.
PC requirements will probably demand a lot of memory(RAM/VRAM) and at least a SATA SSD to cope with all that data loading.

Neo Blaster

Yup. It may not be as big as the original Spider-Man, but if it's half its length that's still a really meaty game.

It also gives use a good taste of Spiderman on the PS5 basically as a launch title. It's honestly a brilliant move by Sony/Insomniac. It's by far the most viewed PS5 trailer and will instantly be a must have game at launch. I wish they had shown more at the conference rather than such a small teaser because I feel it would have had a bigger impact with the hardcore gamers.
Even if they are doing a 'Lost Legacy' and not a proper sequel, a console launching with a Spiderman game after the success of the last one is huge, even better it's a next gen exclusive with all the perks of PS5 new features.

J_Gamer.exe

Ok so a little analysis.

Bear in mind these are estimates as I have only used youtube and some go in part way through seconds etc but it’s close enough.

Portal 1 – Goes in just after second 1:03 starts at Leaves at second 1:05 although portal had loaded up at 1:04 and it seems animation of portal is kicked in probably to avoid it being loaded and instantly appearing through and being more jarring?

Portal 2 – Goes in part way through second 1:10 at Leaves at 1:12

Portal 3 – Goes in at start of second 1:18 at Leaves at near the end of second 1:19.

Portal 4 – Goes in at 1:26 Leaves at 1:27, takes about 1 second all in on this one, the fastest one, probably because of the more linear world and darker area. Possibly loaded in slightly less than 1…. But through with animation in about 1. Damn.

Portal 5 – Goes in at midway through second 1:32 Leaves at start of 1:34.

As red gamin tech mentioned until you go in that portal it cannot load. This makes it immensely impressive.

It shows the speed Cerny mentioned and it’s real and we still down know what speed it used, what the data compressed to and if it can be further improved with other games, code, different methods, part loading across the screen etc.

By and large this seems to be loading in 1 second maybe 1.5 for some, then presumably the animation time also adds a bit? Presumably to make it less jarring and lets remember its not just a load screen, it’s still animating the characters through the screens so it’s not just a load from nothing.

I would presume that it has to load then kick in that portal animation so this is very impressive.

I saw someone mention Xbox and medium with that scene and we have no idea what that was doing there, what we saw in this ratchet demo was on the fly.

Imagine the different methods you could try, like temporarily lowering res a bit or asset quality when going through portals, when you emerge in less than a second theres a bit of portal mist or light adjustment and by the time you have taken stock of whats there its back to 4k and ultra assets. Now I’m not saying they should do this they probably don’t feel they need to, but theres surely many ways of reducing things that would be almost unnoticeable for half a second.

This is but 1 developers impressive usage and to add to that their other footage of the gameplay said pre alpha, so presumably this is the same, this will only improve.

Can’t wait to see more and also what else others can do too.

Vaztu

Sony have blocked game codes to be sold from retailers, haven't they? If you grab PS5 DE, the only way to buy games is from PS Store, be it through credit cards or PS Store money gift cards sold by retailers. That's a great incentive for it to be cheaper than the disc version and an entry point for casuals.

From physical stores yeah, but can't you buy codes from Amazon? To be fair, the seller would probably be Sony.
Volume wise I'm not sure which one will be the biggest, might be very similar. But the overall design of the PS5 is more complex, curves and all, so I can imagine that that's also more expensive. But in the end, the custom casing is the least expensive part of the whole console. It probably doesn't even have an influence on the price.

I guess pricing will be announced for both consoles in August. Can't imagine that Microsoft would wait any longer if they announce Lockhart, it's likely in the same presentation that they announce Lockhart and pricing for both consoles. Do we already have a date for the August events of Microsoft and Sony?

Last info we got is from Grubb.

Early August for 'State of Play' - PS5

August for 'Xboxing' event. MS already have an event in August as well. So, my guess is Xboxing will be before the hot-chips event. Hot chips is mid-august iirc.

Ok so a little analysis.

Bear in mind these are estimates as I have only used youtube and some go in part way through seconds etc but it’s close enough.

Portal 1 – Goes in just after second 1:03 starts at Leaves at second 1:05 although portal had loaded up at 1:04 and it seems animation of portal is kicked in probably to avoid it being loaded and instantly appearing through and being more jarring?

Portal 3 – Goes in at start of second 1:18 at Leaves at near the end of second 1:19.

Portal 4 – Goes in at 1:26 Leaves at 1:27, takes about 1 second all in on this one, the fastest one, probably because of the more linear world and darker area. Possibly loaded in slightly less than 1…. But through with animation in about 1. Damn.

As red gamin tech mentioned until you go in that portal it cannot load. This makes it immensely impressive.

It shows the speed Cerny mentioned and it’s real and we still down know what speed it used, what the data compressed to and if it can be further improved with other games, code, different methods, part loading across the screen etc.

By and large this seems to be loading in 1 second maybe 1.5 for some, then presumably the animation time also adds a bit? Presumably to make it less jarring and lets remember its not just a load screen, it’s still animating the characters through the screens so it’s not just a load from nothing.

I would presume that it has to load then kick in that portal animation so this is very impressive.

I saw someone mention Xbox and medium with that scene and we have no idea what that was doing there, what we saw in this ratchet demo was on the fly.

Imagine the different methods you could try, like temporarily lowering res a bit or asset quality when going through portals, when you emerge in less than a second theres a bit of portal mist or light adjustment and by the time you have taken stock of whats there its back to 4k and ultra assets. Now I’m not saying they should do this they probably don’t feel they need to, but theres surely many ways of reducing things that would be almost unnoticeable for half a second.

This is but 1 developers impressive usage and to add to that their other footage of the gameplay said pre alpha, so presumably this is the same, this will only improve.

Regarding your last point, these tricks are what developers would normally do to speed up thinks.

Neo Blaster

It’s not that simple. It also comes down to the games people wanna play, mostly. The Xbox One has been cheaper than the PS4 with all their fire sales the last 4+ years and it still can’t outsell it.
Not to mention all those Gamepass $1 promotions, which I'm sure they will do to everyone buying a XSX.

Neo Blaster

At launch, it is that simple. Here's why - if Sony only has 1m PS5 units available at launch while Xbox has 2m at launch, those who are casuals and are just looking for a next gen console but one is sold out, the consumer is going to buy the other one. Can't sell/buy something if the actual PS5 unit is sold out and not on store shelves. Holiday time, parents don't give a shit and will buy the cheapest console or the one that's not sold out.

Xbox One and PS4 isn't an accurate comparison because the generation has been over sales wise for years. Can't compare that to a console launch when it's literally ZERO consoles sold to ZERO consoles sold.
Why do people keep saying Sony will be the only one with supply constraints? Like the pandemic hasn't affected every other manufacturer.

Last edited:

Ahmady

Banned
Ok so a little analysis.

Why are you looking at the announcement trailer? This was all pre-rendered, no HUD, no in-game gameplay at all.

You should take the gameplay trailer, that we received, with HUD and true in-game gameplay:

There, it looks totally different compared to the announcement trailer:

There is no such thing as instantly loading a whole new game, there is still a hidden loading screen, see here:

They are basically just jumping, as you can see here:

Same enemy seen here:

For a real level change, we are seeing a very long loading screen, the loading screen starts as soon as the camera zooms in:

Last edited:

Rudius

Could a PS5 game with sufficient development time and resources reach this level of quality or do we need to wait for the PS5 for that?

Edit. Some environments are filmed.

Last edited:

geordiemp

$300 still sounds incredibly cheap.
X1X RRP is $400 and even if they used the exact same GPU they’d still have to pay a lot more for RAM, CPU and the SSD.

Both will subsidise digital only as 100 % all buys will be on the store is my reasoning.

IF Ps5 ditital can get to 400, Lockart will be less memory and smaller APU, so MS could go cheaper by 50 or 100 bucks for 4 TF.

It depends on how much MS and Sony subsidise the digital models.

MS is already subsiding game pass so...who knows.

Last edited:

KingT731

“Project ...” games rarerly get released and the ones that have (I’m looking at you project spark) usually shouldn’t have been Lol.

To me this is a game that everyone might as well forget - put it in the box with Agent and FF vs, Deep Down etc.
I don't think that will be the case. SE has been cracking down a lot on their development pipeline. The CEO even mentioned recently about avoiding showing things that are multiple years out.

IkarugaDE

Microsoft will definitely undercut Sony’s Price.
In my opinion the prices are still completely open. It will also depend on who sets the price of the console first and publishes it.

Either way, it's going to be a losing deal, that much is clear. Sony has made a loss of approximately $ 200 on each console at the PS3 release. Microsoft and Sony will have no problems accepting a similar loss when the new consoles are launched.

However: In my view it makes sense that the PS5 digital edition will cost $ 100 less than the disk version. $ 50 would be too small - in addition, Sony could accept a larger loss with the DE, since users are forced to buy all games directly from the PS Store. Therefore I think a price of 499 for the disk version and 399 for DE is realistic. At least I can't imagine Sony selling the DE for $ 299. The Series X will either be in between or will also cost $ 499.

There is more to it in racing games than outright visuals. The more powerful hardware allows for much more complex physics simulations so you can get a much more accurate experience. It's why games like iracing whilst ugly cant be done on current consoles due to the physics simulations. As someone who has played sport for probably close to 1000hours I can tell you right now though the environmental detail in the GT7 trailer is leaps ahead of sport. There is also the rearview camera and mirrors, in sport after about 100m or so the world literally disappears and has a really low resolution, in 7 that appears to be completely gone.

Gran Turismo can never approach the likes of PC racing simulators because it needs to be playable and competitive on a controller.

The ugliest part of the GT7 trailer isn’t the fact that it’s the GT:S engine with some extra features, but how lifeless the car is, and how the wheel is so disconnected from what the car is doing.

You can turn all assists off in GT:S and the game is still driving the car for you. When you steer using an analog stick you aren’t rotating the front wheels, you’re requesting how hard you’d like the car to turn, and the front wheels are making all kinds of superhuman micro-corrections hunting for grip.
The cockpit whee reflects precisely how much your stick is rocked over, but the angle of the front wheels is entirely independent.

When driving with a racing wheel it’s then 1:1, but it’s a lot more effort and skill required to carry the same mid-corner speed that you can using a controller with all the assists turned off.

When GT:S first launched the Driving School Gold medals were extremely challenging to get, and the cars had much more realistic levels of grip, not far away at all from the well-regarded PC racing simulators.
The first big patch increased the tyre grip all round massively and made the cars much easier to drive and it was warmly received and praised. The Gold medal times were also relaxed by whole seconds in some cases. For me the game became worse and I shifted focus back to PC sim-racing where it’s buy a wheel or go home.

The default ABS in GT:S isn’t even ABS, but computer perfect context aware trail-braking baked in. Braking is entirely down to timing and no down to any feel or weight shifting skill. ABS on ‘Low’ is actually closer to real ABS.

Gran Turismo can never be a realistic simulation. The controllers can’t allow it and the bulk of the casuals that buy it do not want that. GT:S launched as close to a PC racing sim as possible and quickly walked back on it.

That said: GT:S is the best racing game on console because it is the only one where you can race online with any expectation of good racing (once you get to and beyond DR:A SR:S). All other games pretty much need you to organise or join private leagues to have that. And AI will never be as challenging as good humans are in race craft.

This GT7 trailer disappointed me with how utterly lifeless and cartoonish the car was moving around—supernaturally stable under braking—and how clearly disconnected the steering wheel is from what the front wheels are doing, with it again being just a visual representation of how far you’ve tilted your stick over.

Do not expect better “physics” as far as driving goes, regardless of the beefier CPU. It never held that area of the game back as something like LiveForSpeed can demonstrate when running on a toaster.

Brudda26

Why are you looking at the announcement trailer? This was all pre-rendered, no HUD, no in-game gameplay at all.

You should take the gameplay trailer, that we received, with HUD and true in-game gameplay:

There, it looks totally different compared to the announcement trailer:

There is no such thing as instantly loading a whole new game, there is still a hidden loading screen, see here:

They are basically just jumping, as you can see here:

Same enemy seen here:

For a real level change, we are seeing a very long loading screen, the loading screen starts as soon as the camera zooms in:

None of it was pre rendered it was all captured real time on PS5, all the stuff with the purple portal travel is in game with just no HUD. That is the instant loading travel to other planets.

Also the yellow portals arent loading anything at all it's a game mechanic for moving from place to place.

Literally from the moment they knock over the robots at the beginning until flanks flies off the boat it's all real time gameplay. The very beginning and very end are realtime cutscenes.

Insomniac stated it's all realtime PS5 and DF agree

If your going to try and push a false narrative atleast out some damn effort into it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom