• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Just going to add to this speculation.

Maybe removing the panels is how you install an additional SSD? I honestly don't see how the panel can be partially removed like the PS4s glossy panel but I can definitely see the whole thing coming off.

This could be how they are going to deal with multiple colors at launch assuming that happens of course.

That’s exactly what I’m thinking, that they pop right off. Now that might not be where we can easily pop them off at home, but it definitely looks designed where they can easily swap them out for limited editions and custom colors for retail.

Now if they allow us to swap them off easily at home, and purchase colors and customized panels, that would be cool. I’m hoping for the latter.

Games Dean

Official PS5 Consoles and Accessories: (Highest Image Quality)

PlayStation 5

49995704108_ce01c0488b_4k.jpg

49996479662_c5a74f135a_4k.jpg

49996226336_cd731cc357_4k.jpg

PlayStation 5 Digital Edition

49995701683_1df16385f0_4k.jpg

49996224536_ab31db1784_4k.jpg

49996223756_9b7cdf6656_4k.jpg

DualSense Wireless Controller Charging Station

49996490607_913a1b4a3e_4k.jpg

49996237486_76053dcb58_4k.jpg

PS5 HD Camera

49996492132_2303832f49_4k.jpg

49995717278_fe95645992_4k.jpg

PS5 Media Remote

49996237396_c57895ea6d_4k.jpg

49996236891_1ad7fdefe7_4k.jpg

Pulse 3D Wireless Headset for PS5

49996489072_d8b0160c8e_4k.jpg

49996235811_31b598dbf8_4k.jpg

DualSense Wireless Controller

49996224731_1aaec68e31_3k.jpg

49995703153_7bebccece2_3k.jpg

49996477182_1fc8d40e94_3k.jpg

Side by side

49996480982_942cf09e39_4k.jpg

49996480302_43700dabfc_4k.jpg
The commitment to the white/black aesthetic has REALLY grown on me. I love it.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
I think it was because I noticed that too on the faces

Yeah I had a little uncanney valley feeling.I asked my girlfriend and she shot down that idea but I still had this persistant feeling, not about everyone though.

I checked online and aparently Sony denied that and it's really possible that there simply were a smoothing filter or something off about the light.

husomc

The console is listen on Amazon France, it's an official listing by Sony:

No date or price, but now we know it weighs almost 5 Kg. Which is a lot, but also in line with the volume.

I bet someone out there will say 5kg = 5Tf :messenger_grinning_sweat:

That game is in my top list. It's funny that I already felt sad for this bald man, seemed like a good bloke:

He made such bold intro statements to die few minutes later. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: Love his accent, seems like a funny knob head. RIP :lollipop_crying:

The watchdogs 1 reveal trailer still looks better than all the other watchdogs games that came out.

Last edited:

husomc

I thought that the Xbox Series X is the superior piece of hardware. So why is everyone under the impression the PS5 will cost more?

It's the perfect epitome of fake news. Put out some news that no one can confirm and see how the masses react to it. Then slowly change the narrative according to people's reaction. I guess some ppl are just trying to create the perception that the XSX is going to be better in every way (both value and hardware wise), it will come back to bite them.

Sinthor

Gold Member
It's the perfect epitome of fake news. Put out some news that no one can confirm and see how the masses react to it. Then slowly change the narrative according to people's reaction. I guess some ppl are just trying to create the perception that the XSX is going to be better in every way (both value and hardware wise), it will come back to bite them.

Good grief. Some people are soooo desperate! Just really almost sad....if it wasn't so damn funny!

B_Boss

Never had a problem with the colors my principle only issue is that the controller is still hideous, everything else looks fine.
The design of it is almost as bad as the fact that the thumbsticks are in wrong a position I do not prefer.

ftfy.

You and those who think as you do have no scientific or objective backing to prove analog sticks are in the “wrong” place on Sony’s controllers yes? I’ve played both and certainly prefer symmetrical analog sticks.

It’s all preference and it would be rationally best to simply state that they’re in a position you do no prefer, but “wrong”? No.

Last edited:

Lethal01

ftfy.

You and those who think as you do have no scientific or objective backing to prove analog sticks are in the “wrong” place on Sony’s controllers yes? I’ve played both and certainly prefer symmetrical analog sticks.

It’s all preference and it would be rationally best to simply state that they’re in a position you do no prefer, but “wrong”? No.

They are in the wrong spot. one day they will fix it.

/s

Last edited:

Sinthor

Gold Member
ftfy.

The whole stick argument is so funny. I've used both and I adapt to both with no problem. I'm fine with the position of the Xbox sticks...don't see any problem with it. I think that trying to say that one or the other is "right" or "wrong" is a bit ridiculous. If you prefer one for some reason, it's probably because you are just used to one. So great....use the one you like! People trying to 'evangelize' or something to try and convince other people that they are right and the others are wrong, is just.......I dunno...what's the word I'm searching for........pathetic? Yeah, that's the word!

Sinthor

Gold Member
Why don’t they just drag the slider and scale it to run on current gen consoles? Capcom are so lazy and anti-consumer I tell you!

That's awesome. The slider! Why didn't they think of that! Seriously, that's why I'm glad Sony's "digital" console isn't some gimped half attempt at making a "next gen" box that will magically run all the same games and have the same features, while having half the power or something.... oh....wait.... :messenger_winking_tongue:

Sinthor

Gold Member

Damn! That game looks on FIRE. I mean, if you like Spider Man. I think the people trying to claim that this is just DLC that's being spun off into a hastily put together standalone game.....just another lame attempt at detracting. Insomniac runs at least two teams at all times and there is ABSOLUTELY enough time for them to have been developing it. Yep, it likely IS using the same engine from Spiderman, updated and (duh!) they can re-use assets for the city and buildings...I recall reading that they had high res scans they used for the first game and downscaled them so...same assets and less down-scaling?

Just unreal how people are spreading all the salt, trying to detract from this game. Seriously ridiculous. Let's just see when the game actually gets released how it is and how much content it has, shall we?

Sinthor

Gold Member
Nope. Been in the right position since 1998. Again, you cannot prove it is “wrong” which means it is preference on your part and not necessarily wrong. Sony has not made a “mistake” with DualSense (and its predecessors) analog positioning :messenger_beermugs:.

Seconding this comment to infinity! :)

Seriously though, the only "mistake" if you want to call it that is Sony's call to make the controller primarily WHITE. Unless they have some kind of magical coating, the controllers will get dull, then grey or even yellowish with not that much use. Same for the console, IMHO. I mean the color and color combo LOOKS kick-ass to me. Just....I can imagine how quickly both will get dirty and dulled. That's the main reason I'd prefer a black console. Or even other, but dark colors and color schemes. The link someone sent out earlier for PS5 skins for the controller and console had some great options for some other darker colors that could be used.

Again, to be clear, I think it looks awesome. I just think I'd prefer to have black or another dark color so it doesn't look dirty after a few months of use. Yeah, I know...I can clean and wipe them off and I would. But the white, however pretty, will simply look dirty and get dulled fairly quickly. So I hope there are at least options though I know that's not likely at launch. So I'll just have to get one of those skins right off the bat.

B_Boss

Seconding this comment to infinity! :)

Seriously though, the only "mistake" if you want to call it that is Sony's call to make the controller primarily WHITE. Unless they have some kind of magical coating, the controllers will get dull, then grey or even yellowish with not that much use. Same for the console, IMHO. I mean the color and color combo LOOKS kick-ass to me. Just....I can imagine how quickly both will get dirty and dulled. That's the main reason I'd prefer a black console. Or even other, but dark colors and color schemes. The link someone sent out earlier for PS5 skins for the controller and console had some great options for some other darker colors that could be used.

Again, to be clear, I think it looks awesome. I just think I'd prefer to have black or another dark color so it doesn't look dirty after a few months of use. Yeah, I know...I can clean and wipe them off and I would. But the white, however pretty, will simply look dirty and get dulled fairly quickly. So I hope there are at least options though I know that's not likely at launch. So I'll just have to get one of those skins right off the bat.

Indeed man and I couldn’t agree more. There are matters of taste and matter of a sort of objective science (if such a case existed for Sony’s choices). I don’t prefer the awesome looking B&W aesthetic for PS5 (earth tones, gunmetal, space or charcoal gray, etc., is my preference) but it is far from some kind of objective “wrong” lol.

The entire analog “symmetrical/asymmetrical“ debate is nothing more than one group saying strawberry tastes “better” to them than chocolate lol. How silly it is when we literally attempt to prove those personal or subjective preferences objectively. It is called ice-skating uphill:messenger_ok:.

Tiago07

Pre-alpha gameplay footage of Project Athia (PS5 timed exclusive + PC) running in real-time on PS5

49995550193_dae479cb92_4k.jpg

49995549528_904273251d_4k.jpg

49995548938_ea7f018462_4k.jpg

49995547653_ebc9e2e521_4k.jpg

49995547478_ea19fc21b1_4k.jpg

49996066141_2fb026cb2a_4k.jpg

The game says "designed for PS5", which I understood that the game is made to use the PS5 I/O SSD advantages, but like you said will come to PC, but even PC doesn't have a System I/O like PS5, so I have my doubts.

Probably the game will be different, or the PS5 Assests will be higher and heavily. If my interpretation is right I can see some elevators or other loading things.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Pre-alpha gameplay footage of Project Athia (PS5 timed exclusive + PC) running in real-time on PS5

49995550193_dae479cb92_4k.jpg

49995549528_904273251d_4k.jpg

49995548938_ea7f018462_4k.jpg

49995547653_ebc9e2e521_4k.jpg

49995547478_ea19fc21b1_4k.jpg

49996066141_2fb026cb2a_4k.jpg

You know what...IMHO every single game in that reveal looked "next gen" to me for one reason or the other. Some had graphical art styles that ok...don't fit the 'it looks like CGI' mold but still were impressive. Some games that don't look like they're my speed either...but still looked cool and/or impressive for what they were doing. MAYBE the "BugSnax" and if I had to pick maybe "Solar Ash" as well didn't totally jump out as 'next gen?' EDIT- Ok, I forgot but I'd have to add "Goodbye Volcano High" to that list. Nothing about it screamed "next gen" to me. You know what though? Not EVERY game needs to have ray tracing and CGI style graphics. Not even to be "fun."

But overall it was a damn impressive set of games almost all of which are at least slated to hit in 2020 or 2021. Not bad for a super early lineup of games, and we already know there are a whole bunch of multi-platform 3rd party games along with AC Valhalla that will be added to the list as well.

Frankly, I can't recall how many bigger games were available for PS4 at launch or even within the first year but if this list plus the others holds their scheduled publishing dates, this would HAVE to be at least ONE of the most prolific launches for a generation, if not THE most prolific.

With MS having gotten back into the first party dev business, I think it's pretty clear that anyone picking up a PS5 or XSX will have quite a bit potentially to keep them busy for the first year after launch!

Last edited:

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Where are these images from?

I looked on original dualsense reveal on ps blog and cant see symbols. Were they hidden and then shown again, didnt see on recent vid or picbut maybe missed...?
Some images have them and some don't
I don't know why, this is from the official release
IxyuXhp.jpg

But the Console and the Dualsense in the same set don't have the symbols.
They are just renders so obviously things change

Damn! That game looks on FIRE. I mean, if you like Spider Man. I think the people trying to claim that this is just DLC that's being spun off into a hastily put together standalone game.....just another lame attempt at detracting. Insomniac runs at least two teams at all times and there is ABSOLUTELY enough time for them to have been developing it. Yep, it likely IS using the same engine from Spiderman, updated and (duh!) they can re-use assets for the city and buildings...I recall reading that they had high res scans they used for the first game and downscaled them so...same assets and less down-scaling?

Just unreal how people are spreading all the salt, trying to detract from this game. Seriously ridiculous. Let's just see when the game actually gets released how it is and how much content it has, shall we?

Yup. It may not be as big as the original Spider-Man, but if it's half its length that's still a really meaty game.

It also gives use a good taste of Spiderman on the PS5 basically as a launch title. It's honestly a brilliant move by Sony/Insomniac. It's by far the most viewed PS5 trailer and will instantly be a must have game at launch. I wish they had shown more at the conference rather than such a small teaser because I feel it would have had a bigger impact with the hardcore gamers.

jose4gg

And because Phil promised they'll never be behind in price and power ever again.

Quote From Phil:

“I would say a learning from the Xbox One generation is we will not be out of position on power or price,” says Phil Spencer, Microsoft’s Xbox and gaming chief, in an interview with The Verge. “If you remember the beginning of this generation we were a hundred dollars more expensive and yes, we were less powerful. And we started Project Scarlett with this leadership team in place with a goal of having market success.”

Interesting... This could mean that they will try to match the price of the PS5 or go below it... Thanks for the info. It's so hard to think what MS will allow the Xbox team to do, but I personally think matching the price is good enough but not powerful enough to win against PS5... So the idea of going below the price must be in their minds...

D

Deleted member 471617

Unconfirmed Member
What ties to the industry do you have to back up your statement?

No ties whatsoever. It's simply based on two factors. First, if Sony does hit $400 which I highly doubt, Xbox Series S will be $300 and people can believe whatever they want but the lowest priced console will always be the highest seller period. Second, if one platform has less consoles at launch and through March 31st, 2021 which in this case is PlayStation and comes from Sony itself while the other platform won't have this issue and will have a price difference of at least $100 if not $200, the cheaper console will sell more, plain and simple. 90% of consumers are casuals and aren't looking to spend a fortune nor are they going to. They just aren't. But we'll see. If im wrong, I'll admit as such.

Nickolaidas

And that 2 sec loading is only in that sizzle reel. During that gameplay part, where Ratchet enters those yellow portals, the transition is instantaneous.
Not the same thing. As far as I've noticed, Ratchet teleports a few feet in front of him in the same world. It's basically a gimmicky long jump, not a dimensional rift to a different world with totally different assets.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
No ties whatsoever. It's simply based on two factors. First, if Sony does hit $400 which I highly doubt, Xbox Series S will be $300 and people can believe whatever they want but the lowest priced console will always be the highest seller period. Second, if one platform has less consoles at launch and through March 31st, 2021 which in this case is PlayStation and comes from Sony itself while the other platform won't have this issue and will have a price difference of at least $100 if not $200, the cheaper console will sell more, plain and simple. 90% of consumers are casuals and aren't looking to spend a fortune nor are they going to. They just aren't. But we'll see. If im wrong, I'll admit as such.

It’s not that simple. It also comes down to the games people wanna play, mostly. The Xbox One has been cheaper than the PS4 with all their fire sales the last 4+ years and it still can’t outsell it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom