• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

roops67

Series x has over 12 TF. That is not theoretical
The only question for both consoles is how efficient they are. Having more cu’s does not mean less efficient. Every top end gpu gets there by having the most shader cores. And Microsoft have made a lot of custom hardware. It maybe less then Sony. I don’t think we’ll know for sure until each company goes into detail on their hardware.

As for bandwidth, series x is making compromises. But it still has more bandwidth then ps5. If all Microsoft wanted to do was achieve parity with ps5 they would have made a 256 bit bus and then it’s bandwidth would be exactly the same as Sony’s since the ram runs at the same speed.

I guess next month we will find out if these decisions by Microsoft were the correct ones.
It has 52 CU's is the fact, do the calculations and get about 12.1TF but that will be the peak performance, as for if it actually can get there is theoretical. You ain't gonna get 12TF until you fully utilise all the CU's to work at their max. I read badbreath and tiago call it occupancy, and averages out to 30 to 40%, game code and hardware architecture will play a big part in those averages. Correct me if I'm wrong and the XSX does 100% occupancy of all it's CU's 100% of the time, cos that's the only way it will get over 12TF sustained

The PS5 is very different, it has some clever tricks to push that average occupancy to much higher

As you said, we will know if Microsoft have made the correct choices next month

Tiago07

Interesting highlights of what former PlayStation Boss Shawn Layden had to say about AAA games, from the beginning so doesn't need a timestamp:

I have no problem with 12h-15h games if they do a amazing work and job in better combat, better Physic, more Interactive worlds and scenarios, better assets and textures and so on.

SpiderMan Miles Morales is going to have similar hours to Uncharted Lost Legacy. I think Sony is testing this type of "smaller" games with Miles Morales. If the game become well aclamed, they probably will do more in this format.

Microsoft want Ninja Theory to make smaller games too, both companies are probably betting on this (especially for MS, when your games come to Gamepass is more difficult I think to pay the AAA budget, besides that it also means more games in the gamepass)

icerock

I want to live in that dimension...... where 15% more power translates into 100% better framerate

It's the same dimension as the one we are living in, where for next year or 2, games from their FP studios are being designed to run on Jaguar CPUs and 1.3TF machines from 2013. It's not hard to see cross-gen games push 60fps at Native 4K.

Microsoft have been pushing for true 4K for a while, so it doesn't surprise me to see them double down on it, with quotes around higher frame-rates. But, looks like, even Sony and their FP studios are following route with this Native 4K malarkey. I can't notice the difference between 1800p and Native 4K on a 65" screen and I doubt anyone can, without pausing a frame and looking it through a magnifying glass. The pixel difference between the two resolution is staggering ~40%. Yet, the devs are pushing for it, no doubt in my mind due to mandate from the side of Sony to not be muddled with true and fake 4K non-sense at the start of a new gen.

I hope it blows over after release of first batch games, I want more bells and whistles and visual eye-candy than more pixels which my eyes can't even see.

bitbydeath

Aren’t the specs shown at the bottom of that article a bit misleading? It says ssd up to 9 GB/s and makes no mention of raw speed Being 5.5 GB/s. Also nothing about continuous boost clocks. Would be better to show both raw and compressed ssd specs so people have accurate facts. Oh well.

Wouldn’t the IO speeds see an increase from those original figures now that Sony has purchased global licensing for Oodle Texture anyway?

Last edited:

Gediminas

Banned
I have no problem with 12h-15h games if they do a amazing work and job in better combat, better Physic, more Interactive worlds and scenarios, better assets and textures and so on.

SpiderMan Miles Morales is going to have similar hours to Uncharted Lost Legacy. I think Sony is testing this type of "smaller" games with Miles Morales. If the game become well aclamed, they probably will do more in this format.

Microsoft want Ninja Theory to make smaller games too, both companies are probably betting on this (especially for MS, when your games come to Gamepass is more difficult I think to pay the AAA budget, besides that it also means more games in the gamepass)
for me personally it is way too short games for AAA. yes. it could be AA title, but with men, money and scale what offers AAA, it should be at least 25-35h story alone. games getting more expensive, so they should stay big, not smaller.

Dolomite

Sorry if this was posted already.

These measurements seem plausible to me.
PS5 might be a big boi but if it comes down to small margins it will be easier to place next to the TV.

fU0ATiM.jpg
My word these consoles look horrendous on thier sides.

Dolomite

And those are...?
The medium and scorn.
Also the Smart delivery scales down as well as up. So you can give a 20 yr old game like fusion frenzy HDR@ 60frames, and at the same time have the XBone version of infinite be the best optimized for 7ur old hardware whole the SXS has. 40K 60 RT and VRS. Think unreal engine scalability

You get 2-3 times boost just by plugging a SSD to PS4 so it's really not surprising.
2x is the max accoding to Cerny.

Do you have a source for a 3x boost by plugging a SSD to PS4?

Last time I checked the difference was something like this: (reason why I never upgraded) 👇

eesmsOU.jpg

Cerny:

"
You can see this on PlayStation 4 if I use an SSD with 10 times the speed of a standard hard drive I probably see only double the loading speed if that."

WgxPIJP.jpg

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
It's the same dimension as the one we are living in, where for next year or 2, games from their FP studios are being designed to run on Jaguar CPUs and 1.3TF machines from 2013. It's not hard to see cross-gen games push 60fps at Native 4K.

Microsoft have been pushing for true 4K for a while, so it doesn't surprise me to see them double down on it, with quotes around higher frame-rates. But, looks like, even Sony and their FP studios are following route with this Native 4K malarkey. I can't notice the difference between 1800p and Native 4K on a 65" screen and I doubt anyone can, without pausing a frame and looking it through a magnifying glass. The pixel difference between the two resolution is staggering ~40%. Yet, the devs are pushing for it, no doubt in my mind due to mandate from the side of Sony to not be muddled with true and fake 4K non-sense at the start of a new gen.

I hope it blows over after release of first batch games, I want more bells and whistles and visual eye-candy than more pixels which my eyes can't even see.

Well, I'm sorry to say that native 4K is pretty visible compared to 1800p, but that doesn't mean I would argue with the rest of your points. I can take 1800p if that's for like solid 60fps on some games, but to me 4K must be in the majority of games. Games and engines will get better and better going forward, and API will improve as well. Around 2024 we'll start laughing at those launch titles graphics.

Last edited:
It has 52 CU's is the fact, do the calculations and get about 12.1TF but that will be the peak performance, as for if it actually can get there is theoretical. You ain't gonna get 12TF until you fully utilise all the CU's to work at their max. I read badbreath and tiago call it occupancy, and averages out to 30 to 40%, game code and hardware architecture will play a big part in those averages. Correct me if I'm wrong and the XSX does 100% occupancy of all it's CU's 100% of the time, cos that's the only way it will get over 12TF sustained

The PS5 is very different, it has some clever tricks to push that average occupancy to much higher

This is a bunch of made up bullshit. LOL

Bo_Hazem

Banned
for me personally it is way too short games for AAA. yes. it could be AA title, but with men, money and scale what offers AAA, it should be at least 25-35h story alone. games getting more expensive, so they should stay big, not smaller.

I would accept a 12-15 hours game if it has solid online gameplay, or great replayability. But personally I've enjoyed The Order 1886 a lot, but can't see it justified for a full $60 with it's 5-8 hours storyline.

25-35h is a pretty solid foundation for main story, and left some for side missions. I actually loved the Assassin's Creed method with its monetization, it provided a massive game with lots of free outfits and weapons, and the exotic ones are available for a grind if you're into it. Spent around 450 hours finishing everything in the Assassin's Creed Odyssey with the expansions/DLC. Can't wait to play Valhalla, sounds even way more better!

Last edited:

Nickolaidas

Fresh from the oven, more SSD talk incoming:

PlayStation 5's SSD is boosting speeds without any developer work
The PlayStation 5's blazing-fast SSD is natively boosting load times and gameplay without any developer optimization patches.

Developers don't have to lift a finger to leverage the PS5's ultra-fast 5.5GB/sec PCIe 4.0 SSD, and their games are booting and running incredibly fast without any patches or optimizations.

A few months ago, Mark Cerny said the PlayStation 5's custom 12-channel SSD is so fast that devs may have to make their games run artificially slower so gamers aren't disoriented. This is a pretty crazy claim and for a while we haven't really heard developers talk about the PS5's solid state drive tech. But now devs are starting to chime in, and the claims are pretty huge.

On the PlayStation Blog, Crystal Dynamics' chief technology officer Gary Snethen says developers don't have to lift a finger to get faster speeds on the PS5. By virtue of its specialized flash memory, ultra-fast streaming channels, synergized hardware, and seek-less loading, the console's SSD will natively boost speeds by orders of magnitude faster than the PS4's slow mechanical HDD.

73368_233_playstation-5s-ssd-is-boosting-speeds-without-any-developer-work_full.png

Developers don't have to do anything special to get their games booting up within seconds on PS5. The console simply natively boosts data transfers out of the gate, leading to faster load times, instant fast-travel, tighter frame rates, improved visual performance as more data is blasted to the GPU for rendering, and pretty much everything else.

That means any game that's put into the PS5 will look and play better regardless of it's optimized for the console. This also lines up with Cerny's claims of a dramatically enhanced boost mode that pushes games way past their current-gen state and performance targets.

This is just the start. Things get a lot faster when devs actually optimize their games on PS5.

73368_512_playstation-5s-ssd-is-boosting-speeds-without-any-developer-work_full.png

"Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel's Avengers improved by an order of magnitude* on PS5," Snethen said.

"When optimization is complete, loading content will be nearly instant, allowing players to seamlessly jump into missions anywhere in the game world."

"The GPU and CPU improvements on PS5 are exciting, but even more exciting is the introduction of an ultra-high speed SSD with lightning fast load speeds. This is a transformative improvement in consoles that will reduce load times down to one or two seconds and enable real-time streaming of massive worlds at ridiculously fast speeds.

"And as Iron Man flies through content-rich levels, higher resolution textures and mesh will stream in instantly, maintaining the highest possible quality all the way to the horizon."

Mavel's Avengers will be just one of the handful of games that'll leverage the PS5's SSD.

*order of magnitude

noun
  1. a class in a system of classification determined by size, typically in powers of ten.
This is interesting because is coming from a 3rd party dev, from Crystal Dynamics.

Gary Snethen:

"Without any optimization work, the loading and streaming of Marvel's Avengers improved by an order of magnitude on PS5"

10x faster "loading and streaming" without any optimization is huge.
Are they talking about backwards compatible ps4 games, ps5 games, or both?

FeiRR

Banned
Do you have a source for a 3x boost by plugging a SSD to PS4?

Last time I checked the difference was something like this: (reason why I never upgraded) 👇

eesmsOU.jpg

Source:

Try this video (just ignore that it's an add of a certain drive, any cheap SSD will do because it uses only a fraction of the potential due to SATA2 limitation of PS4). Performance varies a lot between games and 3x is quite rare but you can get about 1.5 to 2x ratio with many titles. Also this is an internal drive which makes an upgrade more expensive (if you want to replace 1 TB with the same), while an external 512 GB is half cheaper and adds more space instead of just the speed.

I've also read that an external drive is in fact a bit faster but I don't know if it's true, sounds counter-intuitive.

Nickolaidas

10 times without optimization is still too long for me ... with games like the Witcher 3. It takes 90 to 100 seconds to load a saved game on a ps4. Which means that without optimization it would take 9 to 10 seconds to load on the ps5. That's too much for me.

Need more info before I can judge, though.

TBiddy

You forgot the key words, 'theoretical' 12TF, THEORETICAL! It yet remains to be seen if XSX can hit anywhere near that. Throwing in 52 CU's don't mean that all of them can get fully utilised. Microsoft have put in bare minimum in optimisation and innovations in the XSX hardware to guarantee that performance, they've cut every corner possible to just to boast 12TF for marketing purposes (they wanted to state that their next gen XSX is twice as powerful as their last gen X1X). For instance they're touting 560GB/s for GPU and 336GB/s for system is Microsoft manipulating with bandwidth numbers (again), its not a 896GB/s wide bandwidth beast as they would like us to infer, yes it does have 560GB/s wide bus but it splits (time shares) that bus between the two separate memory pools (560GB/s bursts and 336GB/s bursts) due to the asymmetrical memory setup (further signs of cost cutting), this is far from a sustained 560GB/s memory bandwidth to the GPU! The marginally higher XSX CPU clocks will not mitigate for the dedicated hardware chunks PS5 has implemented. The PS5 has to split it's bandwidth too between all the system and GPU, but the architecture is nowhere as crippled as the XSX in trying to keep all its CU's fed! There re so many other important factors but tiago, badbreath, geordie, toadman, and others have done a good job covering them! Maybe all of these are none issues for the XSX and is more than sufficient to deliver sustained 12TF (I doubt it), time will tell

Also it hasn't been very reassuring that not a single 'independent' developer has come forward to say anything positive about the XSX. As the saying goes 'If you ain't got anything good to say... then don't say anything at all'. Microsoft influenced dev studios don't count

The way Microsoft is hyping their own console is desperate, and attempting to steal PS5's thunder is just plain dirty tactics. Sony has proven whats PS5 really capable of by real gameplay running on real PS5 hardware, but Microsoft has shown nothing to date that is next-gen playing on real XSX hardware... lets see next month. But gotta hand it to MS, they have all their fans and a lot of the media convinced that XSX is the World's Most Powerful Console without proving anything but their PR

And most importantly tbiddy I feel guilty disagreeing with you... cos you got Danny McBride as your pic... I fucking LOVE that guy!!! (#notgay)

First of all. Danny McBride is awesome. And it's ok to disagree.

That said, all numbers in the consoles are theoretical. The XSX won't run at 12 TF 100% of the time, just like the PS5 won't throughput 5.5 GB/s 100% of the time. I feel like you're being disingenous in your post, only shooting at the XSX while praising the PS5. If you want to have a discussion, I'm all for it, but despite your love for Danny McBride I don't feel like it would be worth my while.

The XSX is literally the worlds most powerful console. It's ~20% more powerful than the PS5. There's no arguing that.

10 times without optimization is still too long for me ... with games like the Witcher 3. It takes 90 to 100 seconds to load a saved game on a ps4. Which means that without optimization it would take 9 to 10 seconds to load on the ps5. That's too much for me.

Need more info before I can judge, though.

I think people are in for a shock, if they expect no load times next gen. There's a reason that most reveals so far has been saying "near instant load times".

Last edited:

mitchman

Gold Member
I found it weird that when the PS5 hardware reveal trailer was put on YouTube it was only available in 1080p 30fps. And when I watched it again today, it was now in 4k 60fps. How did this happen? The view count is same as before yet it now has 4k version
Youtube will publish the 1080p trailer while the 4k trailer is still encoding, so it's not uncommon to see this.

ToadMan

That said, all numbers in the consoles are theoretical. The XSX won't run at 12 TF 100% of the time, just like the PS5 won't throughput 5.5 GB/s 100% of the time.

So show how you - specifically you - determine a 12tf value....

Then show how you - specifically you - determine a 5.5gb/s number.

I don’t mean quote an article - I mean show your mathematics.

You’re throwing the numbers around here with authority, so it should be no problem for you to do that.

TBiddy

So show how you - specifically you - determine a 12tf value....

Then show how you - specifically you - determine a 5.5gb/s number.

I don’t mean quote an article - I mean show your mathematics.

You’re throwing the numbers around here with authority, so it should be no problem for you to do that.

Surely you know the formula to calculate TFLOPS. And surely you know, that the XSX won't be running at 100% capability 100% of the time. Also, I'm sure you know that the PS5 won't be utilizing the SSD 100% all the time.

Nickolaidas

I think people are in for a shock, if they expect no load times next gen. There's a reason that most reveals so far has been saying "near instant load times".
I can accept a loading time of 1-3 seconds as 'instant load'. Even cartridge games of the 8-bit / 16-bit era needed 2-3 seconds to boot a game or load a stage. There is a big difference between 2-3 seconds and 10 seconds, and a gargantuan difference between 2-3 seconds and 100 seconds.

I have no doubts that ps5 games will boot and load within that 2-3 second timeframe, because they'll be programmed with that SSD in mind. My worries concern bc ps4 games who aren't optimized with that ssd in mind and may need 6-10 seconds for loading a triple A game like the Witcher.

And before anyone posts the spiderman comparison clip, we have no idea if that was optimized for ps5, or it was simply ps4 data emulated on a ps5 without optimization.

FranXico

That said, all numbers in the consoles are theoretical. The XSX won't run at 12 TF 100% of the time, just like the PS5 won't throughput 5.5 GB/s 100% of the time.
You're comparing maximum computational throughput (which requires maximum CU use) to a bandwidth. Bandwidth does not vary over time depending on workload. That 5.5GB/s number is not theoretical, it was measured.

xacto

Boy following tht Sony blueprint to the T lol they just wait a few weeks then hop on tht narrative too. It's crazy. Dual sense we feel u bro. They hopped on tht SSD narrative real quick too after Sony hyped it up and thy saw all the attention lol 😂 😂 Also game streaming, telling devs to talk about more open areas in gears ala uncharted, talking about giving devs freedom to develop their vision after thy saw Sony pushing tht narrative and getting good feedback, etcccc

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

geordiemp

Most games will have a performance mode from Sony first party I believe, they had on Ps4pro.

Just because the initial reveal of those games on a 1080p30 stream was native 4k I would not worry too much, you could not show the benefits of 60 on such a stream anyway. MS will ahve the same problem.

And I agree all Jaguar HDD games will likely be 4k60 on both or dymanic close res close enough.

Its early days. MS already talking about feel not look suggests most batch of XSX games will be cross plat so they have to push 60.

That would only be possible if it was a massive difference between the two.

The way I see it the PS5 and the XSX will run the game at 60FPS but the XSX will have a higher resolution and maybe more effects. The PS5 version will benefit from Sonys I/O and will load/stream faster than the XSX version.
No way in hell XSX will have higher resolution in any multi-platform game. 18% of more shaders while having slower resterization is never gonna result in higher resolution at all. The CPU and GPU of xsx are also little busy with some IO stuff to makeup the difference with PS5 IO.
In conclusion, XSX resolutions and performance will be equal to ps5 or with little insignificant difference.

Corndog

Banned

Like I said it always has 12 teraflops. That is not variable. What is is how efficiently it is used. The same applies to ps5. There are tips to maxing out efficiency.

It also sounds like both consoles are based on AMD’s rdna2. Of course each company has made customizations including Microsoft. We have seen some games for ps5. Next month we will see some for Xbox. That should give us at least a baseline for each console. Let’s not get too hasty in assuming how efficient either console is.

Corndog

Banned
You're comparing maximum computational throughput (which requires maximum CU use) to a bandwidth. Bandwidth does not vary over time depending on workload. That 5.5GB/s number is not theoretical, it was measured.
Ssd transfer rate is a max value. Neither console is going to hit max all the time.
Look at ssd specs from Samsung, etc.

You get different bandwidth based on file size and whether the data is sequential or not. I’m sure others here can explain better then I.

Corndog

Banned
It's not the same. Mesh shaders = primitive shaders. GE culls hidden geometry before it even reaches the shaders.
Did you listen to Cerny talk where he talks about culling being programmable? Here is the part about geometry engine. Is there a part I’m missing?

Edit: bitbydeath bitbydeath . Yes the new oodle compression will probably increase the ssd compressed bandwidth. I am no expert on how much that could be however. Maybe worth asking the guy who was posting the info on twitter about it and see if he answers.

Last edited:

zaitsu

Banned

Brudda26

Ssd transfer rate is a max value. Neither console is going to hit max all the time.

You get different bandwidth based on file size and whether the data is sequential or not. I’m sure others here can explain better then I.
Alot of work has gone into both to achieve max value much more often. PS5 with all the additional fixed function hardware in the I/O pipeline will help with maintaining that speed. And ofcourse it's designed around running games and not the mundane tasks found on a PC.

TBiddy

This. I'm not sure how this is suddenly a controversial standpoint to have.

I’m not the one using the argument. You are.

Noted that you don’t know what you’re talking about though. Lol

Claiming that neither console will run at 100% peak speeds all the time is apparantly controversial and proves, that I don't know what I'm talking about.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

I can accept a loading time of 1-3 seconds as 'instant load'. Even cartridge games of the 8-bit / 16-bit era needed 2-3 seconds to boot a game or load a stage. There is a big difference between 2-3 seconds and 10 seconds, and a gargantuan difference between 2-3 seconds and 100 seconds.

I have no doubts that ps5 games will boot and load within that 2-3 second timeframe, because they'll be programmed with that SSD in mind. My worries concern bc ps4 games who aren't optimized with that ssd in mind and may need 6-10 seconds for loading a triple A game like the Witcher.

And before anyone posts the spiderman comparison clip, we have no idea if that was optimized for ps5, or it was simply ps4 data emulated on a ps5 without optimization.

And that sort of time can be masked with a title screen popping up so it appears instantaneous.

Darius87

we talking parallelism(GPU) vs bandwidth(SSD) which is totally different things parallelism depends on programmers while bandwidth depends on file sizes.
if game have large enough game assets to fill it's bandwidth it would reach it's SSD maximum bandwidth, while there's no chance to occupy every transistor in CU's in given GPU cycle that's why it's called theoretical maximum.
so no SSD isn't theoretical speeds(assuming there's no overheads).

sxodan

4news's Roberto Serrano. According to his sources, the new game is Xbox Series X exclusive with gorgeous visuals and online features. Here is the breakdown of the new info:
  • Action-adventure
  • Immersive fun game experience
  • Photorealistic and interactive environments
  • High detailed animations
  • FX and outstanding visual effects
  • Online features
  • Unreal Engine 5
  • No release date yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom