• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
I disagree whole heartedly. As long as the cooling system is designed for worse case scenario at a fixed clock you will not crash. If that happens thats poor hardware design.

And I will ask this again. How do you determine what gets downclocked? The cpu or gpu. If I was developing a game I would certainly want to be able to control this. I could be wrong but I assume they do determine what to downclock.
If you had a game that was closer to a gpu bottleneck then a cpu bottleneck you would want the gpu to get throttled.

At least that’s how I see it. Maybe in the next few months Sony will release more detailed info on how it works and I will be proven wrong.

You can disagree with as much heart as you want but this just isn’t how it works, and is what I suspected was the misunderstanding.

It is is no way bad hardware design, it’s how it works. First of all neither PS5 nor XSX has anything even approaching good cooling from the PC gaming side of things.
How many Watts you can pull through your chip is not dependent on your cooling but the firmware controlling that chip.
A good stable GPU overclock is one where the limiting factor is power usage at the clock speed you want it to be at. Not a thermal limit.

Secondly, the final fixed clock speed you decide on in something like a game console is entirely dictated on what you expect your worse case load to be, and you don’t do that by assuming it will be running some synthetic benchmark tool.

On my PC I can have very different stable fixed clocks depending on whether I want to just basically boot at sit at the desktop (useless), play games, or post some benchmark result.
What can work all day for gaming can lock up in an instant with Linpack. A clock that can sit for hours on Linpack is lower than what I can safely use to run my games.

Lastly, the above is even more critical when talking about an APU sharing a die and heatsink for both CPU and GPU.

When asking “which one gets downclocked” it seems to be asked as if the same fundamental issue of where you spend your heat/power budget doesn’t also apply to fixed clocks on a shared APU when running some nonsensical code loop that is designed to do nothing but run the chip hard and in a way they’re not designed to do.

In the Eurogamer interview, Leadbetter couldn’t wrap his head around it either and had how variable clocks in the PC work in his head when trying to ascertain the base-clock.
When Cerny realised what it is he was actually asking, he also explained what would happen if you ran the same kind of code it would take for the PS5 to appreciably down-clock on a PS4 with fixed clocks, and the answer that it would potentially crash.

Watts consumed is a function of clock-speed and the instructions being run. Not just clock-speed. Watts consumed is capped in the APUs firmware.
Watts consumed is also an indicator of work being done, regardless of clock-speed.

Variable clock and fixed power budget is about making the cooling requirements fully known.
If throughout the course of running expected game code the developer isn’t having to choose which device gets priority because there isn’t enough power being drawn then the question becomes a bit pointless.

The worse case scenario for power draw isn’t some AAA scene with a load of enemies on screen where even a fixed-clock system might chug (as happens this generation), but a low triangle map screen where the GPU can race.

One of the most intense GPU benchmarks you can run is just a furry looking cube or torus. You can hear a GPU literally give off a very high pitch whine when it’s rendering something extremely simple at an insane frame-rate.

Slightly off-topic but with the weather we’re having here at the moment my brother was wondering what he could do to cool his room down a bit. He noticed that his GPUs weren’t down-clocking and saving power, even when just in Windows and it was adding a lot of heat to the room (no AC here). It turns out it was just because they were set to 240Hz refresh rate for his monitors. Dropping it to 120Hz allowed them to go into a resting state and consume less power.

Does it really matter which part of the chip PS5 prioritises during a “worst case scenario” low triangle map screen, so long as it chose the right one based on which part of the APU is being stressed? Does it really matter in that kind of scene so long as it’s repeatable and the same each time so that it can be tested?

If this needed to be done in typical game code or graphically complex scenes then it would be worth worrying about, but we’ve been told twice that isn’t where down-clocking can occur in the current design.

Cerny could of course be lying, but it’s hard to base an argument on that at the moment.

Almost entirely off-topic:
After getting back into PC gaming again this year my PC would randomly crash and reboot during games. Running a GPU benchmark was totally fine with the clock I was at, same for the CPU. They could run for hours without issue, but certain games could cause the whole thing to shut down.
Then I found running the CPU and GPU benchmark at the same time would do it.
The culprit was the PSU. The fix was unplugging the PCIe power connectors from the PSU side and plugging them back in again. Enough to knock off any oxidisation that had obviously increased resistance and caused voltage to drop to push the power out.

Japanese market couldn't care less about home consoles, they prefer portable consoles and mobile for quite some time. Why do you think Nintendo Switch is a huge success there, even Sony being a Japanese company too? Unless there's a substantial change in that behavior, I don't see PlayStation launching first in Japan, same day as worldwide at most.

I had to shop around a few places in Osaka to find a preorder for a day one PS4 Pro. That mobile gaming is more popular there than console gaming is fair comment, but it’s likely the same where you live, too.
The Switch is also extremely popular outside of Japan and if it continues to sell as it does will end up very successful.
To say they couldn’t care less about console gaming is wrong.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Rumor | Prodigious PS5 price rumor: Alleged prices for both consoles and every PlayStation 5 accessory; initial launch in Japan supposedly November 14

PS5-accessories-1.jpg

Pseudo price rumors concerning both variants of the PS5 console and all of the related accessories, including the Pulse 3D wireless headset and HD camera, have been posted on Twitter. The same highly spurious source claims the PlayStation 5 will be first launched in Japan on November 14 and will cost ¥49,980 (US$466) for the Blu-ray model.

US$UK£EU€JP¥Global launchJapan launch
PS5 Blu-ray console$499£449€499¥49,980Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 Digital Edition$399£349€399¥44,980Nov 20Nov 14
DualSense controller$59.99£54.99€59.99¥5,980Nov 20Nov 14
DualSense charging station$29.99£24.99€29.99¥3,600Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 HD camera$59.99£54.99€59.99¥5,980Nov 20Nov 14
Pulse 3D headset$159£129€179¥18,000Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 remote control$29.99£24.99€29.99¥3,600Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 "vertical stand"$24.99£16.99€19.99¥2,280Nov 20Nov 14
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales$39.99£29.99€39.99-Nov 20-

NOTE: Take it with a grain of salt, unless you already suffer from high blood pressure with all the rumors around.

Posted a thread about it:

I'm calling fake. If anything, because there is no way the stand will be sold separately, since you need it no matter how you hold the console and it's probably just a single-casting $0.10 pieces of plastic for them.

Selling mandatory stands separately is Apple-grade bullshit that you only do when you want to mark up your product and you know you can get away with it; Sony will probably be selling the console at a loss to begin in order to make up with software sales down the line, and of all the things they could not include to immediately recoup some of the cost this is easily the most ludicrous and outrageous one after only the power cord (and gratuitous bad press is the last thing you want when you actually have competition).

Unless there is also a "horizontal stand" that will be included with all consoles, and only the "vertical" one is optional. But that seems very arbitrary, and the price still looks a bit dumb in that case to me.

Delpij

Now let's make it easy for xbox fans to understand:

Triangle rasterisation is 4 triangles per cycle.

PS5:
4 x 2.23 GHz ~ 8.92 Billion triangles per second

XSX:
4 x 1.825 GHz - 7.3 Billion triangles per second

= PS5 22.2% advantage

Triangle culling rate is twice number triangles rasterised per cycle.

PS5:
8 x 2.23 GHz - 17.84 Billion triangles per second

XSX:
8 x 1.825 GHz - 14.6 Billion triangles per second

= PS5 22.2% advantage

Pixel fillrate is with 4 shader arrays with 4 RBs (render backends) each, and each RB outputtting 4 pixels each. So 64 pixels per cycle.

PS5:
64 x 2.23 GHz - 142.72 Billion pixels per second

XSX:
64 x 1.825 GHz - 116.8 Billion pixels per second

= PS5 22.2% advantage

Texture fillrate is based on 4 texture units (TMUs) per CU.

PS5:
4 x 36 x 2.23 GHz - 321.12 Billion texels per second

XSX:
4 x 52 x 1.825 GHz - 379.6 Billion texels per second

= XSX 18.2% advantage

Raytracing in RDNA2 is alleged to be from modified TMUs.

PS5:
4 x 36 x 2.23 GHz - 321.12 Billion ray intersections per second

XSX:
4 x 52 x 1.825 GHz - 379.6 Billion Ray intersections per second

= XSX 18.2% advantage

PS5 10.28 TF vs XSX 12.15 TF

= XSX 18.2% advantage

PS5 66.6% advantage - 54.6% advantage = PS5 12% more performant overall

46h8et.jpg

Except the problem with performance metrics in a system, is that they do not scale linearly, so that’s a (commonly) wrong way to benchmark two systems, including next generation consoles.

We can discuss theoretical performance forever, but the only way is to establish the superior machine is to measure their performance.

As you ramp up identified metrics in your tests, you'll gain the ability to chart the resulting “Metric A vs Metric B” relation as a non-linear regression (e.g. Clock Speeds vs FPS).

By design, computing systems experience diminishing returns when they reach peak capacity, which is why optimization comes down to improving contention and coherency, instead of just throwing hardware at the problem. The very reason why why teraflops piss me off, as an engineer.

Contention is components competing for the same resource. This is something you fix by improving you data storage (I/O) and architecture (e.g. Database Sharing), as well as improving / minimizing multi-threading.

Coherency is inter component / processus communication and state management. All components and processus need to access the same, up to date information in memory. This is something you ensure by improving cache, minimizing cores and having dedicated coherency chips.

Guess who’s been exposing the raw power / multi-core / multi-theading fallacy, and been focusing on improving I/O and coherency in their presentations, so far?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Except the problem with performance metrics in a system, is that they do not scale linearly, so that’s a (commonly) wrong way to benchmark two systems, including next generation consoles.

We can discuss theoretical performance forever, but the only way is to establish the superior machine is to measure their performance.

As you ramp up identified metrics in your tests, you'll gain the ability to chart the resulting “Metric A vs Metric B” relation as a non-linear regression (e.g. Clock Speeds vs FPS).

By design, computing systems experience diminishing returns when they reach peak capacity, which is why optimization comes down to improving contention and coherency, instead of just throwing hardware at the problem. The very reason why why teraflops piss me off, as an engineer.

Contention is components competing for the same resource. This is something you fix by improving you data storage (I/O) and architecture (e.g. Database Sharing), as well as improving / minimizing multi-threading.

Coherency is inter component / processus communication and state management. All components and processus need to access the same, up to date information in memory. This is something you ensure by improving cache, minimizing cores and having dedicated coherency chips.

Guess who’s been exposing the raw power / multi-core / multi-theading fallacy, and been focusing on improving I/O and coherency in their presentations, so far?

There are way more things to it than those flat numbers indeed. That's why I'm saying that PS5 is showing the best graphics in gaming history so far, nothing compares to it PS5 to date. People seem to be forgetting the UE5 gameplay, most game engines aren't overhauled totally to take full advantage of the PS5 yet, and we should expect that very level in a few years and more.

Unreal_Engine_5_13.jpg

All this talk is useless if it doesn't have actual gameplay to back them up.

I don't think so. If you sign a contract and don't pay, they'll execute the debt, it's not risky for them.

What I meant, the proposed model may be something new for the US market, I don't know how loans work there. Here I can go to a shop and take any electronic equipment and pay in installments. I can choose for how long, if I want any upfront payment or not, the choices are wide. Interest rates are also much lower than your average CC rate or sometimes are 0% (which of course isn't really true but the cost is hidden inside the price and if you pay cash, you get nothing). This is exactly how I'm going to pay for my PS5 without any problem or big hit on my budget.

Of course there still are people who buy phones with contract and pay up to double for them but those people aren't very smart or just don't care. In fact, mobile providers have also been offering consoles with contracts for years now but I don't know anyone who's got it that way. It's just too expensive.

Another problem for Microsoft would be financing of those deals. I guess in the US and maybe UK it's quite easy to find one or two banks to manage them but with more countries, they'd have to reach tens if not more of them, sign deals, finance them, etc. It's not an easy task. In case of phones, all that is handled by service providers who have a cut in the deal. Who'd do that for Microsoft? Electronic appliance stores can offer their own deals and get a bigger cut from that than while cooperating with Microsoft. So, if this strategy is real, it'd be limited to their primary markets, which is exactly the problem they have right now with lack of brand presence and mindshare. It's a totally different model than when you offer intangible subscription of Game Pass that requires only a website to run.

I read yesterday that Microsoft is closing their retail stores worldwide. It's quite understandable from a high-tech company that they're going online in the current situation but it's exactly the opposite of what the sub strategy would be. When I have to buy another year of Office sub, I never renew it directly through their website as the price is almost double of what I can get from a retailer. They don't have an attractive business model even for that.

The thing is, that's a completely different model from the one proposed in MLiD video. He's literally talking about a commitment to pay for only the sub to game pass for x years and you walk out with a free console. Meaning you're not signing a deal with a bank but with MS directly.

The model you speak of is already happening in plenty of places around the world and was no game changer, ever.

Again, 0% chance it's going to happen as MLiD described, zero.

Neo Blaster

I had to shop around a few places in Osaka to find a preorder for a day one PS4 Pro. That mobile gaming is more popular there than console gaming is fair comment, but it’s likely the same where you live, too.
The Switch is also extremely popular outside of Japan and if it continues to sell as it does will end up very successful.
To say they couldn’t care less about console gaming is wrong.
Portable consoles were already surpassing home ones in Japan even before mobile skyrocketed, they are much more suitable to their way of life, spending a long time on the go. I used Switch as an example due to its portability, but Nintendo previous portables were even far more successful there before it.

sircaw

Banned
Rumor | Prodigious PS5 price rumor: Alleged prices for both consoles and every PlayStation 5 accessory; initial launch in Japan supposedly November 14

PS5-accessories-1.jpg

Pseudo price rumors concerning both variants of the PS5 console and all of the related accessories, including the Pulse 3D wireless headset and HD camera, have been posted on Twitter. The same highly spurious source claims the PlayStation 5 will be first launched in Japan on November 14 and will cost ¥49,980 (US$466) for the Blu-ray model.

US$UK£EU€JP¥Global launchJapan launch
PS5 Blu-ray console$499£449€499¥49,980Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 Digital Edition$399£349€399¥44,980Nov 20Nov 14
DualSense controller$59.99£54.99€59.99¥5,980Nov 20Nov 14
DualSense charging station$29.99£24.99€29.99¥3,600Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 HD camera$59.99£54.99€59.99¥5,980Nov 20Nov 14
Pulse 3D headset$159£129€179¥18,000Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 remote control$29.99£24.99€29.99¥3,600Nov 20Nov 14
PS5 "vertical stand"$24.99£16.99€19.99¥2,280Nov 20Nov 14
Marvel's Spider-Man: Miles Morales$39.99£29.99€39.99-Nov 20-

NOTE: Take it with a grain of salt, unless you already suffer from high blood pressure with all the rumors around.

Posted a thread about it:

349 quid for the none disk version. SOLD
I doubt it though, sob.
I was very interested in the pulse 3d head set but not at 130 bucks, i was hoping for more like 70. I know i am a cheap bastard, in more ways than you know. :messenger_beaming:

Jokes aside, those prices for whats in the consoles would be a steal. Where's my gloves.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
349 quid for the none disk version. SOLD
I doubt it though, sob.
I was very interested in the pulse 3d head set but not at 130 bucks, i was hoping for more like 70. I know i am a cheap bastard, in more ways than you know. :messenger_beaming:

Jokes aside, those prices for whats in the consoles would be a steal. Where's my gloves.

Indeed. I think the Pulse 3D will have the rumble feature, and advanced version of the PS3 version back in the day.

Last edited:

Razvedka

Banned
Stupid question guys, had another thought hit me. Normally, isn't it true that the size of your buffer in memory at a certain point is mostly dictated by your throughput? E.g. far faster IO conceivably requires less overall memory to stash stuff as a buffer?

In theory then, all else being equal of course, wouldn't the PS5 OS (likely based in BSD anyway) take up way less RAM in memory vs the competition resulting in more usable memory for developers on that system? The Lockhart leaks imply the XSX OS takes up something like 5GB of RAM for the OS right?

ksdixon

Where's the FUD? Consider this:

You build a game for XSX. All is great. It runs smooths, has great AI, large, detailed environments, etc. You then put it on the XSS. It doesn't run as great, and some portions are just downright awful or unplayable.

You optimize. Things are better, but there are some parts of the experience that simply don't hold up as well as desired or even needed.

So, what do you do? Leave it like that, warts and all, downgrade the XSX version to the level where it runs best on both machines, or strip the feature out altogether?

The above is not uncommon in the gaming industry.

Not just XSS, but for 1st party Xbox games, they also have to be further stripped-back to run on the launch 2013 XB1

geordiemp

Stupid question guys, had another thought hit me. Normally, isn't it true that the size of your buffer in memory at a certain point is mostly dictated by your throughput? E.g. far faster IO conceivably requires less overall memory to stash stuff as a buffer?

In theory then, all else being equal of course, wouldn't the PS5 OS (likely based in BSD anyway) take up way less RAM in memory vs the competition resulting in more usable memory for developers on that system? The Lockhart leaks imply the XSX OS takes up something like 5GB of RAM for the OS right?

2,5 GB OS is whatsbeen said I recall, so 10 GB for lockart minus 2.5

We have no idea how ps5 is doing its OS or even where it resides.

Remember sony added cheaper DDR3 RAM for the OS for ps4 pro, so anything is possibel and it has not been mentioned.

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member

😂 The marketing team of Xbox Game Pass is pretty great, they always have fun stuff

Is it a joke?

Edit: I see it's not. I wonder what other low they can hit with their brand.
It's a parody on these type of youtube videos of 10 years ago. Checkout their twitter, you'll see what I mean. They basically joke around a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

Razvedka

Banned
2,5 GB OS is whatsbeen said I recall, so 10 GB for lockart minus 2.5

We have no idea how ps5 is doing its OS or even where it resides.

Remember sony added cheaper DDR3 RAM for the OS for ps4 pro, so anything is possibel and it has not been mentioned.

You're right, I completely screwed up the rumored numbers! Thanks.

Lordani66

Banned
I'm calling fake. If anything, because there is no way the stand will be sold separately, since you need it no matter how you hold the console and it's probably just a single-casting $0.10 pieces of plastic for them.

Selling mandatory stands separately is Apple-grade bullshit that you only do when you want to mark up your product and you know you can get away with it; Sony will probably be selling the console at a loss to begin in order to make up with software sales down the line, and of all the things they could not include to immediately recoup some of the cost this is easily the most ludicrous and outrageous one after only the power cord (and gratuitous bad press is the last thing you want when you actually have competition).

Unless there is also a "horizontal stand" that will be included with all consoles, and only the "vertical" one is optional. But that seems very arbitrary, and the price still looks a bit dumb in that case to me.
For them to be selling PS5 at loss would mean they would have to sell it below 450 dollars. Which sounds great if you ask me. 399 for bluray version and 349 for driveless version sounds perfect but even 449/399 would sound great. But I am expecting 499/399 or 499/449.

Portable consoles were already surpassing home ones in Japan even before mobile skyrocketed, they are much more suitable to their way of life, spending a long time on the go. I used Switch as an example due to its portability, but Nintendo previous portables were even far more successful there before it.

Never seen a Switch outside over there. Lots of trains full of people playing games on mobile phones, though. Not been over since the Switch Lite came out.
But I also don’t dispute that mobile game is more popular than home consoles over there. But the implication that the Japanese don’t care for home consoles is wrong, at least in my subjective experience.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Left a reply to his video not long after the post. This would be Xbox committing sepuku. There's so much risk in people not honoring their contracts they would be losing billions. Would honestly make a lot more sense put all the chips in xcloud, then it can be a real netflix model and no risk of giving out hardware out for free.

In case some commit seppuku I'll bring my Omani casket band for it.

img

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know, I love them - whoever is managing that account is having tons of fun. They are super self-aware, using smart jokes, dumb jokes and sometimes both in one tweet.
The fact they took the time to write an actual song and record it, just to make a silly post... "pie_tears_joy: Must be fun working in that team

Roberts

Maybe it's not the official account with only 265k followers?

It is official. They only have around 350k followers on twitter as well. But it looks like it is managed by the same people, even including Xbox twitter account, because all of them rely on silly jokes.

Kerlurk

Banned
Now I will meet you half way and concede that SSD doesn't seem to be enhancing graphics according to Sony themselves, and seems to be used for loading mostly.

WRONG! (with respect :messenger_smiling_with_eyes:)

Asset streaming in modern games is very important.

Take one example, like the Frostbite Engine use in Battlefront II. The engine is largely designed around streaming in assets as you move throughout the world.

Many game engines this generation are designed around streaming in assets, and more so as time goes on. For one, it helps hide loading times after the initial load, and allows the streaming in of objects and their textual assets as you move through the world.

This generation, most PS4 assets used in games were considered to be at the "medium" preset on PC. Part of the reason for that, was lack of GPU power, but a major part of that, was streaming speed, but more so, amount of memory.

The PS5 architecture is designed in such a way that the amount of memory is less critical, because assets can be streamed in "on the fly".

The GPU power is at the 2080 level, so with streaming, and this level of GPU power, games should be at a level of "Ultra" or higher.

Yes higher!

Why, because the streaming bandwidth is at a much higher level than most PCs. The bandwidth from the SSD to memory on the PS5 is at a fixed constant, and in the PC world, game developers have to take into account low bandwidth streaming sources also, which may very well hamper the amount of assets they want to stream in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom