• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evilms

Banned
Sony job ad declares PS5 as the "world’s fastest console"

b84d57101953dde49f98b135c289ddb120191024095710.png

Aceofspades

Banned

Everything points to PS5 winning the power battle yet again next gen.

MadYarpen

I see a lot of people drawing conclusions from some minor sentences, which for me seem to be nothing more than PR talk TBH... I don't know a lot but it seems naive.

I am not saying PS5 won't be faster, I hope it will in fact. But I think this type of "info" means shit.

Last edited:

FranXico

Fastest can mean many things. It's marketing.

The job opening itself actually is more telling. "Cloud Engineering Manager".

Last edited:
Reactions: Isa

ANIMAL1975

Engineering sample, not a dev kit.
My bad, how many of this babys are usually made before the final OEM version? Thanks

"... our next generation CLOUD infrastructure." _ and once again the Shakespearean code names 😮

TLZ

Banned

Gotta go fast!

I’m in the dedicated OS RAM camp. Probably cheaper for them to have a 4GB DDR4 side piece and thus get away with “only” 16GB of GDDR6 to run the games.

Either way, seems like the solid state will be bussed such that it will be available as a 2nd tier RAM cache to mitigate limitations years down the road. In fact, if they do forego a dedicated OS chip that will be their excuse why. “12GB is plenty, we have 64GB as SSD RAM cache!”
I don't believe this.

NAND chips are much slower than DRAM ones. They cannot replace DRAM.

Crazy that we pretty much had the final specs for the PS4/X1 seventeen months away from launch, aside from the RAM sizes

Nope.

"Orbis:
AMD CPU 4 cores x-86
AMD GPU 1150 SPU, 1.8 teraflops, 800 mhz
2GB GDDR5 (unlikely this will be bumped to 4GB)"

We didn't get a quad-core AMD FX at 3.2 GHz, we got octa-core Jaguar at 1.6 GHz.

We didn't get 2GB (how ridiculous would that be?) GDDR5, we got 8GB.

I love the fact that he thought 4GB GDDR5 was unlikely. :) The exact same guys think we're gonna get 16GB GDDR6... #LowballGAF represent!

We got final specs in Jan 2013:

Have a little patience...

Are we settled on the type of memory? GDDR6 or HBM?

I think AMD lean towards HBM, don't they?
GDDR6, unless a miracle happens (HBM3/organic interposer for lower costs).

Forget HBM2.

They currently use AWS.
When do we expect the switch to Azure to happen?

I was wondering if the latest PS+ cloud space upgrade (100GB) was Azure-related or not.

"World's fastest console"?

Does this mean Sony are privy to the final specs of Xbox Scarlett and know the PS5 is the lesser of the machines this gen? If PS5 was the most powerful, they'd've said that. However, they've chosen to say fastest. So, do they know that the PS5 has a higher clock speed, but not much else?

• Thoughtful

Fake

"World's fastest console"?

Does this mean Sony are privy to the final specs of Xbox Scarlett and know the PS5 is the lesser of the machines this gen? If PS5 was the most powerful, they'd've said that. However, they've chosen to say fastest. So, do they know that the PS5 has a higher clock speed, but not much else?
Dunno if true, but Microsoft have being change the way they talk about Scarlet, so...
They can always boost the final product for reduce the specs differences (Xbox One get a boost in clock speed before launch date).

Mass Shift

Everything points to PS5 winning the power battle yet again next gen.

Maybe Ace, maybe.

Let's say they have the higher clock, but a lower graphic core count. Then it becomes a contest over efficiency vs diminishing returns.

Now if you're MS you can live with Sony making such a declaration while you claim power and efficiency. Watch what happens.

They're both going to claim a performance metric over the other.

Last edited:
Personally, I think Sony needs the performance crown more than MS, even if it's just a single-digit percent difference (same APU, higher clocks due to innovative cooling).

Sony is a PS-focused company these days, while MS is Azure-focused. A PS5 failure would be disastrous for Sony, while XBOX is more of a side project for MS.

The more successful the PS5 is, the more profitable it will be for Azure and thus for MS. Sounds win-win to me.

Sosokrates

Report me if I continue to console war
I'm really curious if they both have the same CU count. And if Sony really has gone for rediculous high clock speeds.

If they have both gone for 40 active cu's and Sony is clocking at 2000mhz that gives 10.24tflops.

If scarlett is 40 active cu's as well and they clocked at a more reasonable 1700mhz that gives them 8.7tf
If this is true ms should be able to upclock but I doubt they will be able to clock more then 10%, which would give them 9.5tf.

Unless one of them has more active cu's I don't see how the power difference can be more then 1tflop.

Sosokrates

Personally, I think Sony needs the performance crown more than MS, even if it's just a single-digit percent difference (same APU, higher clocks due to innovative cooling).

Sony is a PS-focused company these days, while MS is Azure-focused. A PS5 failure would be disastrous for Sony, while XBOX is more of a side project for MS.

The more successful the PS5 is, the more profitable it will be for Azure and thus for MS. Sounds win-win to me.

I don't think so, the xbox console is still at the core of there gaming business and thus they will want the best possible success for it,

Neither company will want to be less powerful because its negative PR that sticks.
However if the difference is very small (10% or less) it not to bad for them.

GermanZepp

I'm really curious if they both have the same CU count. And if Sony really has gone for rediculous high clock speeds.

If they have both gone for 40 active cu's and Sony is clocking at 2000mhz that gives 10.24tflops.

If scarlett is 40 active cu's as well and they clocked at a more reasonable 1700mhz that gives them 8.7tf
If this is true ms should be able to upclock but I doubt they will be able to clock more then 10%, which would give them 9.5tf.

Unless one of them has more active cu's I don't see how the power difference can be more then 1tflop.

Maybe you are right, maybe PS5 got better clocks and a couple extra teraflops. Thats why Digitial Foundry: Teraflop computation no longer a relevant measurement for next gen consoles.
Joking :messenger_beaming:

Last edited:
I don't think so, the xbox console is still at the core of there gaming business and thus they will want the best possible success for it,

Neither company will want to be less powerful because its negative PR that sticks.
However if the difference is very small (10% or less) it not to bad for them.
Well, I'm not talking about 40-50% difference in the GPU department, since that would require wholly different APUs.

I also don't think they're going to abandon XBOX, but that doesn't mean they want PS5 to fail. The Azure partnership changed the dynamics quite a bit.

Maybe MS doesn't care if the PS5 is 5-10% faster, we don't know what they've been discussing behind the scenes. One way or another, they're going to make money, that's for sure.

Sosokrates

Well, I'm not talking about 40-50% difference in the GPU department, since that would require wholly different APUs.

I also don't think they're going to abandon XBOX, but that doesn't mean they want PS5 to fail. The Azure partnership changed the dynamics quite a bit.

Maybe MS doesn't care if the PS5 is 5-10% faster, we don't know what they've been discussing behind the scenes. One way or another, they're going to make money, that's for sure.

I doubt either is to fussed over 5-10%, it won't be the preferred situation though.

I doubt either is to fussed over 5-10%, it won't be the preferred situation though.
If the "preferred situation" for them is to have a common APU and exploit economies of scale (single tape-out, book a large amount of 7nm EUV wafers beforehand), then it's highly unlikely to expect bigger differences.

Marketing fluff; remember when Sony said the PS2 was gonna bring us the Matrix and Toy Story graphics? Yeah, never happened xD

I don't believe this.

NAND chips are much slower than DRAM ones. They cannot replace DRAM.

It's not even just that; regular NAND chips aren't even byte-addressable for writes, which is a requirement for random-access memories. Nor are they byte-addressable for reads (granted, DRAM isn't either since access is virtualized), and have to be erased at the block level (something DRAM and NOR don't have to resort to).

What that user's might be referring to though is persistent memory 3D NAND. Not the Optane stuff available as fast storage, but the DRAM-like 3D NAND Intel's selling now for server workstations. The prices are really high for that market and you wouldn't be getting anywhere near 64GB's worth if it works out to about $6 or even $4 per GB, but it would essentially act as a larger, slower pool of DRAM with all of its advantages plus being non-volatile.

The question is, would it be worth a given price at a given amount, or just better to go with more RAM? You'd lose the permanent storage but the RAM these systems use would be so much faster anyway (and with way better/smaller latencies; current persistent memory Optane has latencies of around 350 ns) that it wouldn't matter much to just have a slightly larger pool of GDDR6 and a large internal regular NAND storage device (that could be replaceable) and get all of that for the budget you'd throw to persistent 3D NAND in these consoles.

3D NAND would only make sense if they could get it in a size of 64GB or greater and at around $1 per GB or cheaper; since you can't even get QLC NAND that cheap (not just referring to public wholesaler rates; not even private clients can get it at those prices), there's no way in hell Intel or Micron are going to sell Sony and Microsoft 3D NAND at a price per GB cheaper than what it costs them to manufacture.

Last edited:

Munki

giphy.gif

It's not even just that; regular NAND chips aren't even byte-addressable for writes, which is a requirement for random-access memories. Nor are they byte-addressable for reads (granted, DRAM isn't either since access is virtualized), and have to be erased at the block level (something DRAM and NOR don't have to resort to).

What that user's might be referring to though is persistent memory 3D NAND. Not the Optane stuff available as fast storage, but the DRAM-like 3D NAND Intel's selling now for server workstations. The prices are really high for that market and you wouldn't be getting anywhere near 64GB's worth if it works out to about $6 or even $4 per GB, but it would essentially act as a larger, slower pool of DRAM with all of its advantages plus being non-volatile.

The question is, would it be worth a given price at a given amount, or just better to go with more RAM? You'd lose the permanent storage but the RAM these systems use would be so much faster anyway (and with way better/smaller latencies; current persistent memory Optane has latencies of around 350 ns) that it wouldn't matter much to just have a slightly larger pool of GDDR6 and a large internal regular NAND storage device (that could be replaceable) and get all of that for the budget you'd throw to persistent 3D NAND in these consoles.

3D NAND would only make sense if they could get it in a size of 64GB or greater and at around $1 per GB or cheaper; since you can't even get QLC NAND that cheap (not just referring to public wholesaler rates; not even private clients can get it at those prices), there's no way in hell Intel or Micron are going to sell Sony and Microsoft 3D NAND at a price per GB cheaper than what it costs them to manufacture.
Good points.

I think QLC NAND is a given, probably 4 chips for a total of 1TB. No HDD/hybrid storage, pure SSD connected straight to the APU (HDD/Blu-Ray has to go through the southbridge).

The only problem with QLC is that it's not very durable (100-1000 writes max). If it's soldered, that could easily become problematic. I'd prefer a M.2 slot solution, unless custom/soldered means much higher speeds.

Of course what's even more problematic is using a hybrid HDD/SSD solution with a small SSD as a cache... do people seriously not understand what that means for the SSD durability?

Good points.

I think QLC NAND is a given, probably 4 chips for a total of 1TB. No HDD/hybrid storage, pure SSD connected straight to the APU (HDD/Blu-Ray has to go through the southbridge).

The only problem with QLC is that it's not very durable (100-1000 writes max). If it's soldered, that could easily become problematic. I'd prefer a M.2 slot solution, unless custom/soldered means much higher speeds.

Of course what's even more problematic is using a hybrid HDD/SSD solution with a small SSD as a cache... do people seriously not understand what that means for the SSD durability?
The way Sony has talked about their SSD being this almighty fastest SSD ever makes me think Optane might be what they are using. But the price makes no sense, it would be way too expensive. I think it depends on the rest of the architecture. Personally I think we’re going to see a 128gb SSD as a fast cache. Maybe even as small as a 64gb SSD. That would be enough space to hold most full games (but only one game). SSD prices are way too high no matter what the technology to have the only storage be SSD. There must be a traditional HDD as well for mass storage. Most people now have an external HDD to hold their content making probably around the 3TB mark the average amount of space a PS4 user has. There is no way we could go back to 1TB of storage with no means of expanding it.

The way Sony has talked about their SSD being this almighty fastest SSD ever makes me think Optane might be what they are using. But the price makes no sense, it would be way too expensive. I think it depends on the rest of the architecture. Personally I think we’re going to see a 128gb SSD as a fast cache. Maybe even as small as a 64gb SSD. That would be enough space to hold most full games (but only one game). SSD prices are way too high no matter what the technology to have the only storage be SSD. There must be a traditional HDD as well for mass storage. Most people now have an external HDD to hold their content making probably around the 3TB mark the average amount of space a PS4 user has. There is no way we could go back to 1TB of storage with no means of expanding it.
Not really.

You can buy 1TB NVMe SSD (Intel 660p) for only $100 right now. That's a retail price, not wholesale.

SSD prices are dropping fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $50-60 next year:

An SSD cache is gonna be disastrous. Trust me, you don't want that if you even remotely care about longevity.

ANIMAL1975

And don't forget it has to power Psvr2

Good points.

Yeah, durability would be the biggest problem with QLC; these games are hundreds of gigabytes in size. A hardcore gamer constantly installing and uninstalling large games over a period of 5 years will wear down a QLC-based drive within that time easily. Considering that even Samsung gives their QLC drives about a three-year warranty (or something like that), I don't see how an internal QLC storage pool is going to float with these systems unless it's replaceable.

And by that point...why go through the trouble of building your own SSDs? These talks about installing games based on the content you want to play sound like they could be workarounds for whatever storage solution the consoles are using, but they could just get Samsung to drop some QLC drives in their systems on the cheap and have them be removable like previous gens. That might mean all this SSD hype is really about whatever customizations they're using for the memory controller, and maybe giving devs some ways to access data on the drives at a lower level than they could on PC (even so, they're still limited to NAND's restrictions in how data's accessed).

I remember Sony saying the PS5 has an SSD faster than any currently on the market. Well, the fastest SSDs I can think of atm are NVMe x4 PCIe 3.0 drives, those have about 4 GB/s transfer speeds full-duplex. But each PCIe 3.0 lane is about 985 MB/s; 4.0 doubles that and I suppose if Sony's writing their own firmware and customizing the controller they could get actual speeds better than drives currently on the market, with just 2 PCIe 4.0 lanes.

But that wouldn't let them keep that claim for very long, so maybe they're dedicating 4 4.0 lanes from the APU to SSD internal storage drives? It's pretty doable; AMD's stuff usually goes between 8 and 16 lanes for PCIe 3.0, they will probably continue that going forward. So it wouldn't matter if you end up replacing the internal drive with a 3rd-party one if it means that 3rd-party drive is still compatible with the custom driver and controller Sony and MS have cooking.

3rd parties usually don't do that kind of stuff tho, we might can see Sony and MS customizing drives from companies like Samsung or Western Digital in partnerships and those drives being specifically designed with PS5/Scarlett in mind to take full advantage of whatever they're doing on those.

Last edited:

magnumpy

I dunno, we might be willing to pay the extra money but will the mass market? the difference between sales numbers for a $500 vs. a $400 console could be quite large...

I dunno, we might be willing to pay the extra money but will the mass market? the difference between sales numbers for a $500 vs. a $400 console could be quite large...
The mass market (FIFA, Fortnite et al) will stick to PS4 (Super) Slim for a while. What makes you think they're willing to spend $400?

Both Sony and MS have given us hints about "premium" consoles that will target the "enthusiast audience". You ain't paying less than $499 for that experience.

Not really.

You can buy 1TB NVMe SSD (Intel 660p) for only $100 right now. That's a retail price, not wholesale.

SSD prices are dropping fast, so I wouldn't be surprised if it costs $50-60 next year:

An SSD cache is gonna be disastrous. Trust me, you don't want that if you even remotely care about longevity.
True, but that wouldn’t be as fast as they have been talking. But could be what they actually use. I still believe there has to be an HDD in the system for mass storage.

FrostyJ93

True, but that wouldn’t be as fast as they have been talking. But could be what they actually use. I still believe there has to be an HDD in the system for mass storage.

External drives will act as cold storage I think. You will be able to store games on them bit wont run games off of them. To play the game it will have to be loaded onto the ssd. I think the ssd will keep your last 5 or 6 games laoded on it then seamlessly swap with the connected external drive as needed.

External drives will act as cold storage I think. You will be able to store games on them bit wont run games off of them. To play the game it will have to be loaded onto the ssd. I think the ssd will keep your last 5 or 6 games laoded on it then seamlessly swap with the connected external drive as needed.
An external USB3 HDD will be able to run BC games (PS4 and maybe even PS1/2/3) just fine, no need for an SSD.

Swapping is going to cause unnecessary wear and tear. Let us manage storage manually.

Use the internal SSD for PS5/next-gen games (and maybe some patched, cross-gen ones like Spiderman) and an external HDD for everything else.

Exactly what I was getting at with my comments. I’ll hate that I can’t just install a really large drive inside though. Just a cleaner setup than an external drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom