• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

demigod

Told you guys Halo did not look next gen.

This post and thread did not age well. I guess us non-devs were wrong amirite?

kyliethicc

Just to add, Tom (MoorsLawisDead) mentioned that there is another IP Sony have not revealed yet and that it's being worked on by Mark Cerny himself, it's pure speculation what it could be but someone in his video said it "could be Metal Gear Solid?" and Tom liked the reply, doesn't say much but maybe?

Cerny worked with Japan Studio on Knack. He also helped on Spider-Man, Death Stranding, Horizon Zero Dawn, and maybe something else I’m forgetting. So the only thing I could see this unannounced game being is whatever Japan Studio is up to (new IP or Silent Hill) or maybe Kojima’s next game.

DaGwaphics

STOP TRYING TO INFECT SONY WITH MICROSOFT DNA

STOP IT

ENOUGH DAMAGE HAS BEEN DONE>

I don't think Sony would ever put all their first-party on a service like this. However, I could see them retrofitting PSNow a bit, and then developing a few GaaS type IPs. With the quality of their stable of devs that could be beautiful.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Even if you have the time/budget to do it, what do you get from it? You just make the version that is probably going to sell more seem inferior.

The Xbox will have to match Sony's price to even have a chance off selling as well as the Xbox One. 12TF does almost nothing for it other than increasing the cost.

In a way it also work with gamepass as well. Who is going to go buy the DQ X S version for the PS4 knowing it's being given away in another service? To me devs doing this are devaluing their games, when you have the expectation you might get it "for free" any day you become less likely to buy any game other than those you are 100% sure about and can't wait. This happened to PC with people having expectation of deep sales, I regret buying most of my games on Steam and I learned my lesson, only but them if you are going to play them immediately AND if they are dirty cheap.
Yes! And I've seen people that are already conditioned into not buying games on Xbox

sircaw

Banned
I don't think Sony would ever put all their first-party on a service like this. However, I could see them retrofitting PSNow a bit, and then developing a few GaaS type IPs. With the quality of their stable of devs that could be beautiful.

Jokes aside, times are changing and Sony will need to adapt there strategy for the future. Nothing is ever set instone.

Very interested to see how they approach it.

Hobbygaming

has been asked to post in 'Grounded' mode.
Why? Developers choose what they offer on there, it's not like they are strong-armed into anything (outside of MS first-party that is).

Assuming that they are doing some kind of Deezer style revenue share (as mentioned in another thread), the potential return for developers goes up exponentially as the number of subscribers increase. Sony and Nintendo first-party are the exceptions more than the rule, most games (even a lot of the good ones) will be lucky to sell 2 or 3 million units in the standard retail market (with many of those not being full price sales). We've seen what the existing market will give us, quality from the studios built to sell hardware and safe and very predictable output from third-parties.

I'm willing to sit back and give a new model a chance if it lets developers take a chance on something they would have been afraid to green-light otherwise.

Spiderman, for example, is a solid game that works in the standard model perfectly, but could also be perfect in a GaaS type situation. That game could easily live on forever with dlc expansion, basically adding a new comic book to the game with the addition of new villains and plot points. Maybe a few new interior locations, and some tweaks to the city for the new story. GaaS != low quality, though it could, it all depends on who is developing it.
Gaas for story driven games sounds like a very bad idea and would stifle creativity

Developers wouldn't continue to make AAA games that cost north of $100,000,000 just to put them on a $1-14 service. The budget cuts would start to show very quickly. MS will do it for now in hope's of gaining a huge amount of subscribers

YoodlePro

fxUJ.gif

Last 24 hours haven't been kind to the warriors, have they.
I mean you had to be a cretin to think otherwise but still, glad that's over with.

FranXico

No RT. No MP.

Holy shit.

It should be illegal to release games for 60-70$ in such an unfinished, rushed state. Jesus Christ. It's a total clusterfuck.

DELAY IT, MS, FFS! IT ISN'T READY - IT'S YOUR FLAGSHIP TITLE!!

YOUR FLAGSHIP TITLE!! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOUR IPs MEAN TO YOUR FANS!??!?!
It has to be said, back around PS4 launch period, Sony delayed a bunch of games and it absolutely was the right call. They were willing to nuke their launch in the hope that those games got in a decent shape. Didn't work out for all those games, but the alternative would have been something like what we are seeing now. It would have been worse.

kyliethicc

If Sony wants to update PS Now they could just wait until, say, 2022, and then permanently add all their PS4 games to it. So we‘d still have to buy their PS5 games, but I could see them putting all their PS4 games on PS Now once they’ve moved on from the PS4.

DaGwaphics

Gaas for story driven games sounds like a very bad idea and would stifle creativity

Developers wouldn't continue to make AAA games that cost north of $100,000,000 just to put them on a $1-14 service. The budget cuts would start to show very quickly. MS will do it for now in hope's of gaining a huge amount of subscribers

The games have to be the right fit, that's for sure. Like I said, a well designed comic book game seems like the perfect fit for this type of thing, you build a captivating city/world with solid gameplay mechanics and then add more and more stories over time. Again, it all depends on the numbers, there would come a point when it would be easier to justify a 100m spend on a service than standalone. In the early going, that isn't the case, but at a certain point it would be.

Vae_Victis

Banned
No RT. No MP.

Holy shit.

It should be illegal to release games for 60-70$ in such an unfinished, rushed state. Jesus Christ. It's a total clusterfuck.

DELAY IT, MS, FFS! IT ISN'T READY - IT'S YOUR FLAGSHIP TITLE!!

YOUR FLAGSHIP TITLE!! DO YOU EVEN KNOW WHAT YOUR IPs MEAN TO YOUR FANS!??!?!
But you are NOT supposed to spend 60-70$ for it. Microsoft is trying to sell you Game Pass first and foremost, remember?

GRIEVEZ

I really think that in the end, the result of this "xbox as a platform" model will be that they DO get out of the hardware business. I think that being able to buy a game once and run it on multiple platforms as well as your phone IS a cool thing for gamers. I just personally don't think that you can push that model AND at the same time convince people that they NEED your hardware. Maybe....but if anything I think this makes it more likely that the rumored Lockhart might FAR outsell the XSX and if that happens, I fear the XSX will be the last big console from MS. I don't WANT that to happen as I want Sony to have a strong competitor to push them. BUT...I don't have a say in how the broader market plays out. :)
Sigh..have the same thoughts on this... I really hope it doesnt come to pass... While I trust Sony, history has taught us no competition is horrible for everyone...and I dont see Playstation competing with Nintendo, their too different imo.

GRIEVEZ

Well they want from MS and then chose Activision as a partner...

They really needed more dev time but they shot themselves in the foot with that deal.

I think MS of today would have kept them; would have maybe even let them go multi-platform.. and given them the budget/time to create a Destiny 1 that actually had enough content to justify it's price.

But we'll never know.
Thank heavens that partnership has ended. I dont think I could handle Destiny 3 - in the same manner.

Whenever thats coming out... :goog_what:

DaGwaphics

If Sony wants to update PS Now they could just wait until, say, 2022, and then permanently add all their PS4 games to it. So we‘d still have to buy their PS5 games, but I could see them putting all their PS4 games on PS Now once they’ve moved on from the PS4.

I'd imagine they'll put some PS5 games on there too, like they are now with PS4 titles. Just not day & date, after most of the sales have already been made. Yes, you'd still lose some sales because some will figure that it will be offered eventually and they'll play it then, but probably not too many.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
holy shit man, halo is gone forever, it hurts :(
Why not wait for the actual game to come out?

It's supposed to be massive; bigger than Halo 4 and 5 combined. The game itself could be amazing despite the graphics not wowing.

Some sub-par graphics really going to kill the entire series for people? They'll polish it up at least a little bit between now and release too.

Last edited:
What are you oh I see.

Dumb? Covid probably fucked up all their development.
All games suffered covid, and most games looks better for one reason or another than Halo Infinite, even indies or inferior caliber production. Kena looks far better to me, Little Devil Inside looks better, Godfall looks better, and not because their engine is necessarely superior or the texture much more defined, they just know how to make a scene. Every picture you take of Infinite is mediocre at beast even putting aside draw distance and stuff, colors are dull, shapes are simplistic, scenery is empty and generic. It really seems a concept of something instead of the actual thing. Then, maybe it's a good shooter, fine to me, I honestly want MS to release fucking good games so Sony can push for even better games.
But fuck me what an ugly start.
Edit: TLOU was delayed but in no point in history the gameplay shown was less than incredible. Downgrade from 2018? Yes. Still crazy in every trailer, every video, didn't look like it had problems or was unfinished. Never.
Infinite literally looks like an amateur project compared to TLOU2.

Last edited:
Don't underestimate what the impact is when you can't delay the game

They can delay the game to make it better which is what Naughty Dog did. They can delay it it's just that they don't want to lose it as a launch title.

Also that still doesn't change the fact that they spent around 5 years on the game to release it in this state. Pretty sure Naughty Dog spent around the same time but the final product didn't look as poor as Halo Infinite and that's with Covid-19.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom