• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

waxer

GAME ENGINE DEV REACTS to Halo Infinite | Campaign Gameplay Trailer

He makes the same mistake of assuming he's watching gameplay on a Series X.

He comments on that. In the comments. Says doesn't matter as company say that's how it will look anyway.
Haha I love how he shows the magic shield throw frame by frame.
His reaction and amazement is exactly how I felt watching the presentation haha

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Sony has to step up their TV game man and pair it with a PS5.... I mean at this point it seems to be undisputed that LG has the best TVs for gaming. Until Samsung comes along with their Qned TVs.

They already did with X900H (XH90), the best bang for the buck with full HDMI 2.1 support. Maybe you weren't aware of it. Google it or search youtube.

HDMI 2.1 firmware comes later though, but at least before PS5. Port 3+4 will support it and you can see that the ports look slightly shinier and different than 1+2. Great picture quality, color accuracy, upscaling, and great contrast. Above all, burn-in isn't an issue. I'm getting one. More about TV's for next gen:

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
I just picked up my A7riv today cause the A4 got pushed back 😑

That's a wonderful camera, but I need 4K@60fps or higher. But for photography that's simply a beast, even for videos at 4K@24-30fps. I need higher framerates for slowmo when filming birds or other stuff.

Last edited:

Fordino

He comments on that. In the comments. Says doesn't matter as company say that's how it will look anyway.
Haha I love how he shows the magic shield throw frame by frame.
His reaction and amazement is exactly how I felt watching the presentation haha
This is the annoying thing about the YouTube TV app (LG C9), you can't see any description or comments.

IkarugaDE

After reading that and think about it it also could be a real next gen Spyro the Dragon-game.
Some facts:
1. The original three parts of Spyro and Crash (all PS1) received a remastered collection, both were successful. That's why Crash gets a real successor in the style of the first three parts in October this year. So it would not be unusual for Spyro to follow.

2. There have been rumors of new Spyro and Crash games since the beginning of the year, and Crash has proven to be true.

3. Rumors are that it is a game in which Cerny was involved. Which means it also could be Jak and Daxter. Incidentally, he was also involved in Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.

zaitsu

Banned
How do they want to achieve that? 299$ for the digital-only model or what? The consoles were never selling that fast, even at a mere 399$, PS4 sold ~90M in its first 5 years, plus the world's economy is in terrible shape now, so how on earth do they want achieve such numbers in such short period of time?
They saw xbox presentation and get cocky in their own way.

BGs

Industry Professional
yQYF4PH.jpg
Where is that from? I can't find it in ERA. Thank_U.

Project ATHIA (tentative title), a game to be released for the PS5, is an open world game.
The PS5 has significantly improved its video technology, with the implementation of ray tracing technology. We were able to use these characteristics to create a tremendously detailed visual presentation. Our policy is to develop games that are well-balanced in terms of characteristics, including games for smartphones and cloud games, but we will never stop developing for the high end of the market, such as the PS5. That's because the best of technology is packed in here.
Yosuke Matsuda President & CEO. SQUARE ENIX CO., LTD
https://premium.toyokeizai.net/articles/-/24188

kensama

man I know people want to blame 343i but it is microsoft fall when you mandate support to a 1 teraflop platform this is what u get

But how can you explain that the game is less detailed in various technical portion ?
See the video below and even a Halo4 or 5 was better in many game compartment:

So i don't know who blame first i think both (MS and 343I) are to blame.
Microsoft for their strategy
343I for not having worn his balls and said to MS no!

Jose92

[Membe
Where is that from? I can't find it in ERA. Thank_U.
In the b3d forums.

kensama

In the b3d forums.
It's not from ERA. It's actually from Beyond3d forums. His post is about half way down.

Beyond3d Forum

He also said that on ERA

FeiRR

Banned
Microsoft are the ones to blame. They showed it running "on comparable specs", so...
Everyone should start asking questions why they don't record gameplay videos from their own hardware a few months before the release. When they did the same thing with Xbox One, it turned out that it was much weaker than previously assumed due to memory split and Kinect/OS eating up resources.

Honestly I want to see some gameplay of Spider-Man Miles Morales, they said they were using 4D scans for the characters so I'd like to see the results of that.
We’ve upgraded our characters with 4D scans and improved skin shading for more realistic looking characters and spline-based hair that moves far more naturally.
I found this video about 4D volumetric video, I assume they're using a similar technique in the game.

Everyone should start asking questions why they don't record gameplay videos from their own hardware a few months before the release. When they did the same thing with Xbox One, it turned out that it was much weaker than previously assumed due to memory split and Kinect/OS eating up resources.

Have we seen anything that’s been captured out the back of an XSX HDMI port yet?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
You guys with your full frame cameras meanwhile I've got a old A6000 that's showing its age :(

I don't have one, I've been waiting like Xbox fans for next camera since years now. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I need higher framerates, and would love 10-bit as well, for bird and even cenimatic slowmo like droplets and so. I make money out of it, if you don't make money back or you think you might not do it's not worth it. Photography/videography is an extremely expensive hobby to have. Currently only using phone, Phantom 4 Pro drone, and osmo pocket.

Last edited:

Brudda26

I don't have one, I've been waiting like Xbox fans for next camera since years now. :lollipop_tears_of_joy: I need higher framerates, and would love 10-bit as well, for bird and even cenimatic slowmo like droplets and so. I make money out of it, if you don't make money back or you think you might do it's not worth it. Photography/videography is an extremely expensive hobby to have. Currently only using phone, Phantom 4 Pro drone, and osmo pocket.
I've been wanting a full frame for years, did photography for 4 years at college. Been doing at as hobby ever since. I dont do it for money just as something to do. But I've only got the 1 lens I cant afford to blast the cash on expensive glass. It would eat away my PS5 money 🤣

sircaw

Banned
I'm sitting on page 2518 and lost hope of ever catching up with this thread... its on:lollipop_fire:. So again I'm posting blind. It's not worth sharing my thoughts of the tragic xbox show, I can't add anything new to what's been said many times already no doubt. Just wanna highlight tho Microsoft is going to great lengths to hide/convolute what was running on XSX and what was not, something is amiss?!

I'm gonna try expand on some info about PS5's 'SmartShift' implementation and also helps me get a better grasp at the same time. Really wish Cerny/Sony had given their variable frequency technology a specific name cos it is much more than just AMD's SmartShift... I'll just refer to it as 'tech' here to make things easier :messenger_winking:

This article that been linked by 'dodrake' and others in the past does an excellent explanation in which the tech helps increase GPU occupancy, also relates to CPU usage

Wi7YIDJ.gif

The article best describes what's happening above, but to sum up...

The graph itself is shown from point of view of the power drawn from the PSU, its an indirect (non-linear) correlation of the frequency. As rightfully pointed out by 'raul3d' in the past, the article indicates how the PSU efficiency range is important as it is most efficient at about ~80% of its rated output, so the tech will optimise for this range

The pink band in the graph represents the most visually demanding GPU effects, it won't be the yellow peaks which are spikes caused by situations like unbounded tight loops which have no affect on the output

The tech preemptively lowers the frequency for the peaks leaving a clear power headroom above, thus allowing it to efficiently utilize the bandwidth by increasing the total average frequency which will increase the GPU output (in affect occupancy) as shown in the pink

This does not cover how the tech mitigates for 'race to idle' that was mentioned by Cerny. Race to idle 'generally' is where a process will peak finish it's task then sit idle between each workloads. Analogous to a car racing to get to a destination but getting stopped by every red light burnning shit load of fuel in the process. Whereas if it slowed down timed itself to pass all green lights it will still reach the destination in the same time but saving a lot of fuel

A scenario for GPU refreshing at 30fps (33.3ms), but it finishes rendering each frame at 25ms so it will be sitting idle for 8.3ms. It will be beneficial for the tech to slow the rendering down just enough so it finishes completely in the 33.3ms window thus not having any impact on what's being displayed but saving power/bandwidth which can be utilised somewhere else. The explanation is a bit brief but hopefully clear enough for you to get an idea of the advantages

my mind just melted.

And fs where have you been, stop taking exotic holidays on important gaming event days. You are needed here dammit. :messenger_heart:

Not by me, don't get your hopes up. Its for the other people. :messenger_sunglasses:

GRIEVEZ

[/QUOTE]
Honestly they can still
Too much aliasing if anything, it's too sharp. Perhaps, the reason for wider cinematic shot? I think they'll produce a better and softer image in retail version. The foliage in the 2nd pic looks really bad!
The second pic, has me most convinced its gameplay. I dont know if that looks bad though, ive never seen foliage move like that...

I mean im very impressed by Tlou2's foliage, but this is even a step above imo (foliage is moving in patches/waves, with variance in density/length). Its also showing off its volumetric cloud/fog system which looks snazzy (but I think FlightSim has better clouds... but that game is doing "less").

Hopefully it's GI solution is as impressive as what im seeing here..

My only "critique" is that the shrubs/bushes arent moving with the same force. I dont have trained eyes, so my opinion is pretty much whatever. But I cant agree its bad..

BGs

Industry Professional
In the b3d forums.
It's not from ERA. It's actually from Beyond3d forums. His post is about half way down.

Beyond3d Forum
Thanks to all.

Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem

It is known (and criticized) that DF has had exclusive access to Project Scorpio in the past. I think it was 2017 (I can be wrong). And travel and subsistence have been paid. Which sparked protests and accusations. But that is not a novelty. 10 years ago there was already a scandal related to DF and MS. It is an open secret ... DF lacks competition. It is clear that some pay better than others. You just have to look a little.

Last edited:
What? The whole game needs just 30GB of space, some people have more RAM than that, what do you need SSD for? And it's still one of the three games in existence so far that uses any sort of world shifting. So where is the SSD being wasted? And does the SSD needs to be leveraged to begin with for the games to be great and fun to play? I don't think so, far from it.
The game is split screen rendering with whole screen sharing object/fx/poly budget -> Instead of let's say 20 million poly for both realities, it is sharing it and splitting it in two for each. That's a terrible excuse of a game that on the first look was promoted as realities shifts between two and not at the same time in a side-by-side.... Instant hype kill. Also it is extremely possible this thing runs perfectly on One X but it is not available on it, so that MS doesn't cannibalize Series X...

SSfox

PS5 shipments may reach at least 120 million units in next 5 years - DigiTimes

Looks like Phison is Sony's SSD flash controller supplier.

I also found another article from DigiTimes from 3 days ago that talks about a 10-layer PCB (Printed Circuit Board) being used for the PS5.

Sounds like 3D stacking to me.

This really feels PS5 will come with cheap price, i can be wrong tho

SSfox

Rumours that were saying Xbox devs kits came late could've been true.

geordiemp

what aghh no, i thought that was just for the demo purpose.

split screen is a big no for me, why would they do this, that plain sucks imo

Well the gameplay showed both, if its switch between world A and world B then thats OK....

if its split screen like they also showed, I am out, bothing worse than splt screen, would rather stab my eyes out.

Last edited:

After reading that and think about it it also could be a real next gen Spyro the Dragon-game.
Some facts:
1. The original three parts of Spyro and Crash (all PS1) received a remastered collection, both were successful. That's why Crash gets a real successor in the style of the first three parts in October this year. So it would not be unusual for Spyro to follow.

2. There have been rumors of new Spyro and Crash games since the beginning of the year, and Crash has proven to be true.

3. Rumors are that it is a game in which Cerny was involved. Which means it also could be Jak and Daxter. Incidentally, he was also involved in Sonic 2 for the Sega Genesis / Mega Drive.

Sony don't own Spyro. That doesn't make sense. It can only be Jak & Daxter as they fully own it. Let's just hope they'll use the 1 as the basis (Nintendo-esque platformer) and not the GTA clones (2 & 3).
Q272NKC.png

He is kidding isn't he?
Because AFAIK they did look for VRS in compressed Videos from Sony. But they are not going to do that when its MS stuff.
No he is serious. Digital Foundry are becoming more and more transparent. They never should have hired Dictator as he cannot hide his strong anti-Sony bias, contrary to the very experimented Leadbetter who is doing it since he created Digital Foundry.

sircaw

Banned
Well the gameplay showed both, if its switch between world A and world B then thats OK....

if its split screen like they also showed, I am out, bothing worse than splt screen, would rather stab my eyes out.

yer totally agree, i am totally downed by that, i hope there will be a mode for just one screen but then i guess they are going the route of having you solve a puzzle in one instant and then do something in another to complete said puzzle.

Well that just sucks. bummer.

FeiRR

Banned

Where does it show both? The only moment when I saw a transition was a cutscene.

geordiemp

Where does it show both? The only moment when I saw a transition was a cutscene.

In the trailers it was switching between 2 worlds bit like Titanfall..., but when they cut to gameplay there was that horrible split screen, vertical / horizontal I saw both examples (both equally puke inducing vomit)

I think there was more gameplay shown post event which was more split witha clock and a door opening, but as I said the minute there was a line down the screen I turned off....for the good of my sanity and digestion.

Last edited:

FeiRR

Banned
In the trailers it was switching between 2 worlds bit like Titanfall..., but when they cut to gameplay there was that horrible split screen, vertical / horizontal I saw both examples (both equally puke inducing vomit)

I think there was more gameplay shown post event which was more split witha clock and a door opening, but as I said the minute there was a line down the screen I turned off....for the good of my sanity and digestion.
If you mean 1:15-1:25 in this trailer, it's a cutscene and I've seen such effect on 8-bit hardware, nothing impressive nor next gen.

BTW It is time MS just HAS TO remove those fucking 'Native 4K' labels on their projected new game covers for Series X, the frame buffer might be 4K but there will be A LOT of reconstruction and/or VRS shenanigans going on in the render phase that outputting at the native res of UHD TVs will mean too little shit when in fact the screen is littered in myriad of 720p or 1080p textures.

This just proves MS is no better and still pushing 'Native 4K' for their perceived power narrative with their sucking VRS in play when in fact Sony CB rendering is objectively better and their latest examples on games currently in the market can't be even discerned by DF or any other pixel counters!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom