• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nah, Xbox has 44% more CUs and 18% more tflops. At the very least, we will see 18% better performance in cross gen games with ray tracing like Watch Dogs UK and Cyberpunk which will clearly not be native 4k 30 fps. I suspect it will be 1440p on PS5, 1620p on Xbox Series X.

i see everyone is taking a victory lap here after the xsx conference, but the gpu in this bitch is still more powerful. And it will show from Day one. I suggest we show some humility and start preparing for this eventuality, or we will be eating crow like xbox fans after the xsx conference.
No, XSX can achieve 18% advantage if the whole gpu is 18% better. But that is not the case. The XSX gpu has advantage in TFs only other parts of the GPU are much faster on PS5.
Actually, performance wise, the two gpus are exactly the same.

I said it before that ( obvious business as of my experience not insider info ) AMD already shared the best of what they have with both Sony and Microsoft. Sony knows about XSX power years before it was announced and microsoft thought that Sony chose the same. I believe Sony customized the shit out of their hardware to meet what targetted by AMD hardware while keeping the cost low.

The PS5 will not be better than XSX in 3rd party games but it also not gonna be inferior at all. Both game versions will run at same setting and FPS with minor drops here and there depening on harware differences and API ( which is supprior on PS5)

So on my ps4 if I'm playing warthunder for example and launch something like spotify or share factory it suspends my game. I then relaunch my game and instead of waiting minutes to load the game up and gain access to the servers it puts me back in the hanger where I was before. It takes seconds to get back into the game. Playstation 4 it's called suspend/resume from what I recall.

I get what you're saying, but quick resume is something i feel is marketed towards resuming and suspending multiple games and not just applications like youtube or spotify. Also in Xbox Series X quick resume lets you play those three applications even if you power it down and power it back up again, at least that's what I heard in the youtube influencers preview of the xbox series x, who were flown to xbox to have a look at it in action.

devilNprada

Switching between an app youtube say for example to a ps4 game application isn't quick resume at all.

I can move from a TV app and continue my game pretty quickly.. It's other game Apps that it reloads the game.

Edit: You can have two Apps open at the same time a TV and and a Game App but you can't have two TV apps or Two Game apps open at the same time.

Last edited:

Brudda26

I get what you're saying, but quick resume is something i feel is marketed towards resuming and suspending multiple games and not just applications like youtube or spotify. Also in Xbox Series X quick resume lets you play those three applications even if you power it down and power it back up again, at least that's what I heard in the youtube influencers preview of the xbox series x, who were flown to xbox to have a look at it in action.
Oh I get that I'm just saying the XSX is improving upon what thenps4 already did. Also providing you dont close the game and just put ps4 in rest mod it will keep your game where you last left off.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
Oh I get that I'm just saying the XSX is improving upon what thenps4 already did. Also providing you dont close the game and just put ps4 in rest mod it will keep your game where you last left off.
I imagine MS is improving on what they did for Xbox One, not what Sony did for PS4 lol

Both PS4 and Xbox One have similar suspend/resume features.

roops67

Bo you had to go there didn't yeh, that's a blatant dig at your favourite meme Harold again! Just think how he's feeling from all the attention he's been getting off you?...
KE5sdCf.gif
We are witnessing the birth of a new meme star. Move over Harold, its time for HideThePainCraig :messenger_horns:

Courtesy of Bo Productions...

mDyKLwQ.jpg

Nice touch with the MickeyMouse PJ's :messenger_grinning_squinting:

Last edited:
Actually it was Sony's idea first with checkerboarding that still stands tall against DLSS 2.0, and better than DLSS 1.0. So it's not a surprise. Sony been talking about ray tracing in games since late PS3 era.

I am hoping we get an newer enhanced version of their checkerboard rendering for PS5, if that is the case I will be a happy camper, I have seen how good DLSS 2.0 looks and I was quite impressed, it looks very close to native 4K content!

IntentionalPun

Actually it was Sony's idea first with checkerboarding that still stands tall against DLSS 2.0, and better than DLSS 1.0. So it's not a surprise. Sony been talking about ray tracing in games since late PS3 era.
That style of rendering existed before PS4 Pro. Bespoke hardware for it was Sony's idea though.

I'd love if TE helped with RT.. but you are acting like it's a foregone conclusion lol.. because Mark Cerny mentioned RT in 2013? It's been a topic of discussion in gaming since the 90s.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
That style of rendering existed before PS4 Pro. Bespoke hardware for it was Sony's idea though.

I'd love if TE helped with RT.. but you are acting like it's a foregone conclusion lol.. because Mark Cerny mentioned RT in 2013? It's been a topic of discussion in gaming since the 90s.

Not sure how TE will do as an extra if not used for true 3D audio, but I doubt RT, more like audio RT is possible.

IntentionalPun

Honestly didnt even know the XB1 could do it ngl
Yeah beyond suspend/resume you could at launch even use "Snap" to watch a streaming service and play a game at the same time.

MS's OS is a bit more advanced for that sort of thing than PS4; but it was also BUGGY as shit at launch, and for some time after launch. I prefer the simplicity of the PS4 personally (and kinda hated Snap, sometimes I'd enable it without knowing how and couldn't get out of it without a hard reboot.)

Redlight

Why would you come to a topic where 80% of the people are deliberately hoping your preferred console would fail?

You've had denials of this comment but it's true. Many people on this site recognise this thread in particular as a bit of a 'Sony Safe Space'. They stay out because, as I know from personal experience, stating a view contrary to the mainstream here may well get you banned.

Neo Blaster

Yeah this is something I’ve been thinking about too.

Forza should’ve been “easy” to demo something.

GT7 used models and environments looking very similar to GTS but with added RT on gameplay.

T10 could presumably have take the PC forza engine and run RT on it to demo some gameplay like that. It doesn’t seem to me that would have been technically complex to do.

It’s gonna be interesting to so the estimated release date of Forza now - it seems like it won’t be launch or launch window which is what I had previously expected.
What baffles me is Forza 7 was released 3 years ago, and even after this time Turn 10 couldn't present a vertical slice with actual gameplay?

Ptarmiganx2

I'm not worried about HZ2, just pointing out shady practices made by BOTH company's.
Why aren't they straight forward in the first place ?
Exactly.
HZD exceeded my expectations when it launched. Decima is built to utilize Sony's streaming I/O. We witnessed the capabilities with the UE5 demo. HZD2 will be the first commercial game pushing the hardware, I'd bet money it will be the most graphically impressive game EVER when it is released. God of War looks to be the next game on the docket that may challenge it.

There was something about XsX ssd & decompression giving low performance needing revised hardware. Can’t find where I saw it now. But it would indicate the console not ready hence the software needing to run on PC. Could be fud.

Could very well be fud. But the rumors were about the developer kits and not the I/O in the retail system. So maybe that explains why developers are having issues showing the game on their dev kits.

I seriously doubt that Microsoft is going to install broken I/O hardware in the retail console.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Great video. You were pointing out all the little things that I recognized that blew my mind that someone like Alex from Digital Fucking Foundry was completely glossing over just to make some inane point about LIGHTING. In all honesty, the lighting is the least of Halo Infinite's worries.

Halo Infinite looked flat because the devs DON'T CARE. It's so obvious. There's no accomplishment in their work for the little details. It's just like they get to the office everyday thinking "ugh....guess we're going to have to create another level in Halo....Bob, add some grunts that come at you from this generic space outpost".

From the way you move, to the all the effects on weapons and grenades, to the animation routines. None of it looks like any care was put into it beyond "make it play like Halo from 2004".

I don't like Destiny in general, and most of my buddies play it, but to me Destiny is galaxies ahead of that crap.

Last edited:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Yeah maybe - there are hooks in the story that could allow it to branch out while maintaining at least a link to this stuff.

I don't know if I want an AC style total clearing down of the story and a new game but with the same mechanics. I don't mind if they do that but not to call it Ghost of ....

I guess kind of like FromSoft Soulsborne - take the mechanisms, adjust them for the new setting and release a new independent game/story.

I did read SP had considered a 3 musketeers style story setting. Could be interesting.

Then again - it would be interesting to see the rest of Jin's story. At least on my play through there was still a story to be told for Jin about what happens next.... but I think that could be DLC rather than a whole new GOT 2.

Tsushima had another 2 invasion attempts from the Mongols after that, so it can easily extend to 2 sequels.

sircaw

Banned
Never seen The Warriors movie, but loved the game so much!

Movie is a pure cult classic, so many amazing fight scenes including the base ball furies in the park and in the bathrooms with the punks.

Then there is that amazing intro speech quote from Cyrus "Can you dig it" and no, its not fucking Milyy Cyrus, i know some of you out there wanted to throw shade at my movie :messenger_beaming:

The bottles on the guys fingers with the "Warriors come out to play"

Top that all of with the brilliant melodramatic soundtrack of De vorzon and we have imo, one of the best films ever made.

Or we can just enjoy yewles1 choice, Twilight the movie, i told you i would deal with you. :messenger_bicep:

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Considering switching to Sony Playstation and getting the PS5, tired of Microsoft fucking around. The main franchise, Halo, has been disgraced by 343i....

All they had to fucking do, was protect that one franchise, build that one franchise and make Halo: Infinite at least somewhat presentable and impressive. Dead Space on my Xbox 360 had better graphics ffs. I can't take 34i seriously any more. I respected Halo: CE heavily dspite not playing it; I only watched others play. Halo 2 is the GOAT Halo game and matchmaking IMO. Halo 3 was superb if not outstanding. And then, Bungie left and 343i took the wheel. Halo 4 was bland. I didn't support Halo 5 because I was so upset with Halo 4. And now they've made a mockery of Halo: Infinite. It's looking to be the same exact mistake as 343i made with the Halo: Master Chief Collection. They totally fucked that game up and released it completely bugged to death. It took years before it was decent enough to play with. I cannot believe this company....Nor Microsoft for letting these clowns operate the way they have been for so long. Fucking pathetic on their part. Not only do the let down their fans, they completely let down their fans, often

That's the vent I needed. I'm seriously considering not buying an Xbox360 (like 90% of my friends will buy) and seeing what the Playstation experience is like for the first time since the very original Playstation. I sort of don't want to because I've played Xbox360 from like 2007 all the way to 2019 pretty much; and I would be letting go of Gears of War and Halo, but it's to the point where I detest 343i and their practice. It's a poor showing all around

Not good with technology at all but maybe I'll read through this thread some and see what PS5 has to offer. The graphics are insane on PS4, and PS5 had some gorgeous looking games. Going to be looking at a lot of games Sony has to offer, and this time heavily weigh the two options. Microsoft is a fucking joke for not supervising Halo: Infinite properly. Who the fuck is keeping tabs on the studios that produce their games? Frank O'Conner should have been on a short leash after all his fuck ups in the past...

I envy you, you'll be playing PS4 big hitters enhanced on PS5 for the first time, not to mention the PS5 ones.

sircaw

Banned
You've had denials of this comment but it's true. Many people on this site recognise this thread in particular as a bit of a 'Sony Safe Space'. They stay out because, as I know from personal experience, stating a view contrary to the mainstream here may well get you banned.

I seriously doubt that.

If people are getting banned in this thread its for spreading bullshit, not trying to have a conversation.

I have seen first hand technical people like Geordie for example trying to engage with xbox people, only to have them refuse to contribute.

If people have claims they need to be able to justify what they are saying with logic, not just come in and shit post.

The truth is, in this forum at least, alot of the xbox fanboys stay away because they get called out on their bullshit nothing more.

don't try to paint a narrative that is false, come on.

All the fud that has been spread over the last few months.

It filters into this thread.

Some xbox fans boys run with it, get shot down, get upset and run to other threads declaring OMG that is a safe space.

Its not,
We have had x-fighter in here before the dawn of man, that chap has phil spencer tattooed on his arse, why has he never been banned. He might be a fanatic, but he not unhinged, most of the time at least....sorry x-fighter, i promise to leave you a like. :messenger_smiling_hearts:

Last edited:
Nah, Xbox has 44% more CUs and 18% more tflops. At the very least, we will see 18% better performance in cross gen games with ray tracing like Watch Dogs UK and Cyberpunk which will clearly not be native 4k 30 fps. I suspect it will be 1440p on PS5, 1620p on Xbox Series X.

i see everyone is taking a victory lap here after the xsx conference, but the gpu in this bitch is still more powerful. And it will show from Day one. I suggest we show some humility and start preparing for this eventuality, or we will be eating crow like xbox fans after the xsx conference.
1620p is not 18%.

Remember you are cannot just multiply each vector, the delta in the best case is 1440p vs 1570p.

I also think XSX will have the advantage in RT I never think the opposite but we cannot just use the number of CUs like if we
have an idea about how good the AMD RT solution scale.

Probably scale better with more CUs or higher frequency or even the customization done for each company make impossible
any kind of direct comparative.

Probably one console can make a higher resolution, other better textures, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom