• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Jesus, better start rounding up the users spreading that garbage.

Yes! Let's round them up and send them to centralized locations. Let's call them "camps" so it sounds nice and fun. Once there, we can re-educate them until they see the light. Hell, we could even call them "education camps!" Sounds so good!

Then if people refuse to come to our fun camps or are resisting the educational programs we so generously are offering we'll have to figure out some way to ensure they can't influence the others. Hmm.......will have to think about that one. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Deto

Banned
I'll say one thing though, we've been hearing about Microsofts 'war chest' for years now, but recently, that thought has been repeated from many reputed journalists for me to simply wave it away. There could be a scenario where they bite the bullet, and price-match PS5 or even come under. But, the existence of two different SKUs so different in power/specs makes me double guess this notion. Why spend all that money in R&D, if cost isn't an issue on higher end SKU or you have a blank check to eat losses? It doesn't quite add up.

They all forgot about Windows Phone.
Cell phones today are much more important than video games and were also at the time that MS had WP.

And MS also did shit with WP, managed to fragment the platform that it manufactured Hardware and Software.

What I am impressed with is how no one sees the incompetence of MS ... I think it is because of the revenue from the monopoly on windows and office and people are deluded that profiting from monopoly is some example of competence.

MS arrived in the cell phone market after apple showed that unified hardware and software is better. After google showed that fragmenting the platform is bad and even so MS fragmented the WP.

This is the example of idiocy, stupidity, ignorance.

And of course, they defecated arrogance, even parading in the MS campuz staging the "Iphone funeral".

Microsoft celebrates Windows Phone 7 with mock iPhone funeral

Microsoft employees celebrated Windows Phone 7 RTM by holding a mock funeral for the iPhone and BlackBerry through the Redmond campus.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-celebrates-windows-phone-7-with-mock-iphone-funeral/

what an idiotic company, not even with the example set by Apple, MS went there and fragmented the WP ... in the same way that the xbox does not see the example of Sony and Nintendo.

Last edited:

yewles1

They all forgot about Windows Phone.
Cell phones today are much more important than video games and were also at the time that MS had WP.

And MS also did shit with WP, managed to fragment the platform that it manufactured Hardware and Software.

What I am impressed with is how no one sees the incompetence of MS ... I think it is because of the revenue from the monopoly on windows and office and people are deluded that profiting from monopoly is some example of competence.

MS arrived in the cell phone market after apple showed that unified hardware and software is better. After google showed that fragmenting the platform is bad and even so MS fragmented the WP.

This is the example of idiocy, stupidity, ignorance.

And of course, they defecated arrogance, even parading in the MS campuz staging the "Iphone funeral".

Microsoft celebrates Windows Phone 7 with mock iPhone funeral

Microsoft employees celebrated Windows Phone 7 RTM by holding a mock funeral for the iPhone and BlackBerry through the Redmond campus.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft-celebrates-windows-phone-7-with-mock-iphone-funeral/

what an idiotic company, not even with the example set by Apple, MS went there and fragmented the WP ... in the same way that the xbox does not see the example of Sony and Nintendo.
Speaking of which...

JonnyMP3

That ArmGunar thread on other place is very well put, but it's missing one critical feature in the forecast i.e. underselling the impact of cost/sales of PS4. Sony themselves have confirmed, that it'd be main driver of profits over the next year, and I can see it get a permanent price-cut to $199 with aggressive holiday bundles at even lower price this holiday. If you account for those losses, then it becomes very difficult to guesstimate PS5s' price.

I'll say one thing though, we've been hearing about Microsofts 'war chest' for years now, but recently, that thought has been repeated from many reputed journalists for me to simply wave it away. There could be a scenario where they bite the bullet, and price-match PS5 or even come under. But, the existence of two different SKUs so different in power/specs makes me double guess this notion. Why spend all that money in R&D, if cost isn't an issue on higher end SKU or you have a blank check to eat losses? It doesn't quite add up.

I'm gonna predict that Xbox will start its next-gen offerings from $349 for Series S, and $549 for Series X. With PlayStation 5 starting at $449 for DE, and $499 for Disc. I would've revised the prediction on PS5 by +$50, if we didn't hear about Sony raising the number of units in production to 10 million. That's a lot for any console, never mind a console releasing amidst an on-going pandemic and impending recession. I hope every SKU is cheaper by $50-100 but I'm not very confident.

You're giving these people a lot of credit. They are wilfully ignorant on this stuff, they deliberately choose and pick what to write and what to discard. It's a choice. MBG didn't "see the light", he simply followed the money. This is not the first console launch to be soiled by these type of folks, I remember ProElite (who is still around this gen), Aegis, Karak and many others claim how Durango was more powerful than Orbis, and how they'd have more advantage due to DirectX!

Social-media has grown tenfold during that time-frame, and along with it, the bad faith actors who peddle the FUD. It's best ignored.
I do mostly ignore the FUD. This is why I've not heard of either MBG or Timdog till the last few days. Whether they're genuine or playing a persona makes no difference to me. As a gamer I enjoy when other people discover games. So with my own view of that, and seeing MBG's history of being Xbox only till 2019 and then switching sides to Playstation, because Crackdown 3 was the straw that broke the camel's back for him as he realised what we all know. Xbox has no games, so he went and chose to play games. Nothing wrong with that. Especially when you consider plenty of fanboys just stubbornly carry on with the spreading FUD to damage control, it's nice to see and hear 1 of them go "I was wrong" because I see half the console warriors on this board would probably kill their own loved ones than stop attacking the other brand.

Lethal01

He even posts my screenshots that prove my case. It already compares evenly from cinematic to cinematic.

Your screenshots showed the texture, lighting, shaders and models are all clearly improved. That's why it's funny.

You post something that's clearly better and go "see it's the same", "look at the grass". Well I say the same, look at her clothes, look at her skin, look at the foliage, You're screenshots make it clear that Forbidden west looks better.

Some more accurate subsurface scattering/translucency here, better cloth shading there, better AO/contact shadows, More detailed stones, denser, high res foliage.

Proving otherwise is still on you since everyone else have eyes.

MAYBE, you didn't mean to mess up HDR while uploading the screenshots and it will suddenly look 10x more advanced when it displays right but right now you're screenshots are showing the exact opposite of your claims when compared to the Forbidden west trailer.

Last edited:
Yes! Let's round them up and send them to centralized locations. Let's call them "camps" so it sounds nice and fun. Once there, we can re-educate them until they see the light. Hell, we could even call them "education camps!" Sounds so good!

Then if people refuse to come to our fun camps or are resisting the educational programs we so generously are offering we'll have to figure out some way to ensure they can't influence the others. Hmm.......will have to think about that one. :messenger_winking_tongue:

One of my favorite skits of all time :D "our caps have skulls on them..."

Alex Scott

SSD is only for loading, Alex Battaglia

remembered that this sucker, Alex, ran on the internet saying that "the PS5 to have RDNA3 stuff is madness"
he never ran on twitter to deny any FUD against PS5 ... very interesting that.
But Alex never said "the PS5 to have RDNA3 stuff is madness"
This is what he actually said.

I don't like when people twist other people words. Even when i disagree with them.

Last edited:

AeneaGames

Well, have the birdies knocked or has Sony checked out for August lol

I've got some very bad news everyone, I'm so sorry but those birdies won't be talking anymore I'm afraid :messenger_crying:

ga200815.gif

AeneaGames

No problems at all. My own OCD was kicking-in as well.

I don't think these have been re-listed anywhere, but I've also heard from my die-hard xbox fan friend:

SONY have opted for a seperate kernel, with a sandbox emulator code for ps4. This gives two massive problems. 1. everygame needs to be rewritten for the new kernel. 2. all peripherals have their own seperate security check. Meaning that ps4 controllers can only function in that sandbox and dont have access to the ps5 kernel. The same as nintendo did with a sandboxed gamecube emu on the wii.

Prime example.... remember custom fw on psp and ps3? All looked bloody similair to the stock fw. With some minor tweaks here and there. There was a reason. If they changed too much, it wouldnt work. As it was locked to the kernel. Imagine like an onion, The kernel is the centre which can never be changed. the outer layer is the stuff you can change like selecting buttons. each layer inbetween become less user, and more rigid as you go down. the gui runs though it all like veins. since a game needs to access the central stuff, it needs to be able to work through that maze flawlessly. change 1 thing to much... it all comes crashing down. So, PS5 having this new OS menu that pulls down live stats and launches into multiplayer lobbies instead of launching the game and then the multiplayer mode, its at the expense of BC so it had better be amazing.

- PS5 has no "mesh shaders" (is this the same as the "no VRS" bullet point?)

- PS5 has changed kernel, thus cannot do native BC, each game has to be tested individually. The current ps now isnt compatilble with ps5 kernel.They would need to write a whole new ps now code for the new kernel; which means more cost to you to cover it. The streaming will work, downloading games running on an emu wont (so no downloading of PS3 titles from PSNow, like GP does).

- DualSense doesn't use DirectInput, thus dualsense will be limited just to ps5 and if a whole new input, means they cant use standard manufacturing for the control board, adding massively to the costs. £80-100 controller costs.

Oh wow, there's so much dumb stuff in there, it's, wait for it, staggering! "pie_tears_joy:

A lot of people are forgetting that there is a HOTCHIPS conference by MICROSOFT where they will go into more details about the XBOX.
My wishlist:
- I hope they explain velocity architecture with diagrams
- more Deep dive into XBOX.
- deep dive into ray tracing, maybe a demo
AUG 17th

This monday looks very entertained day with Xbox, Nvidia and AMD talks.

ToadMan

A lot of people are forgetting that there is a HOTCHIPS conference by MICROSOFT where they will go into more details about the XBOX.
My wishlist:
- I hope they explain velocity architecture with diagrams
- more Deep dive into XBOX.
- deep dive into ray tracing, maybe a demo
AUG 17th

There’s only 1.5 hours allotted for 3 separate topics. Presumably MS will have 30 mins.

In such a short amount of time, what we’ll probably get is a summary of the content of the Eurogamer interview.

What else can they show or talk about in that amount of time? They don’t have a marquee game/demo, they haven’t shown anything upcoming running on Xsex. So any talk about practical stuff will just be talk with nothing to back it up.

This’ll be a very generic brief.

There’s only 1.5 hours allotted for 3 separate topics. Presumably MS will have 30 mins.

In such a short amount of time, what we’ll probably get is a summary of the content of the Eurogamer interview.

What else can they show or talk about in that amount of time? They don’t have a marquee game/demo, they haven’t shown anything upcoming running on Xsex. So any talk about practical stuff will just be talk with nothing to back it up.

In the personal I prefer half and hour where they talk about its consoles hardware with details than another hour of CGIs.

Alex Scott

These were the slide pages for the Xbox one hotchips. People like Redgamingtech, NXgamer and DigitalFoundry can get much more deeper understanding from this. I know that wishing for a RT demo is just wishful thinking. Nonetheless it will be informative to know more about the Xbox and also likely custom RDNA2 inside Xbox. Then they can also compare it to PS5 like RGT did last time.

Last edited:

Vaztu

ok guys, need some help with the fud list.

As you know i am not technical, anything that needs replacing or if there is anything more you can think of in terms of bullshit that has been spouted.

Here is the shortlist. copied, pasted, stolen, robbed, anymore you guys can think off

• PS5 lacks hardware-accelerated ray tracing​
  • Ray casting audio support only​
  • PS5 will have virtually no launch games; Series X will have an abundance of AAA games from the get-go​
  • PS5's GPU is based on RDNA -1, developed by Roblox user xXAiden-x2005Xx while on work experience at Sony HQ. Bosses ran with the idea because lack of funds​
  • Cerny boosted the clocks in a last-ditch response to Xbox. PS5 is secretly a 9 TFlop machine.​
  • PS5 is having fabrication difficulties; not enough units at launch​
  • PS5 BoM is rising beyond control. Might cost upward of $600.​
  • PS5 is overheating, continually crashing, and engineers are scrambling to fix the problem​
  • PS5 is hard to develop for, almost PS3 levels of incompetence​
  • PS5 has trouble reaching native 4K​
  • PS5 was overclocked at the last minute​
  • PS5 boosts to 10.3tflops only, its 'base clock' is 9tflops, Cerny lying​
  • Devs are having a nightmare making games for it​
  • Xbox 4000 games at launch, Ps5 only 100.​
  • The console is twice as big as Series X (fake measurement)​
  • Sony paid Tim Sweeney to say PS5 is a game-changer​
  • The tunnel in unreal engine 5 was needed for loading, rubbish SSD.​
  • UE5 demo was running on a Chinese laptop no problem​
  • PS5 is struggling with RE8 @ 1080P/30fps xbox 4k 60​
  • PS5 struggles with 4K games#​
  • Spider-man: MM is an expansion pack​
  • Sony is trying to money-hat big 3rd party games as they are scared of Digital Foundry face-off​
  • Craig looked bad because of the lighting​
  • PlayStation exclusives all coming to pc.​
  • Exclusives are anti Consumer​
  • Alex continuously spread uncertainty about the ps5 ray-tracing capabilities even after the second wired article confirming it was hardware-based.​
  • Controller to heavy​
  • Battery life is less than Ps4​
  • Phil De'spencer says single-player games like horizon zero dawn don't have the same impact anymore.​
  • The PlayStation 5 SSD Will Not Change Open World Games Dramatically Alexander Battaglia
  • People's fingers hurting so much for short play​
  • Lightbar causing extra heating, people sweating.​
  • Dolphin game dev said he could only get 120fps on XSX while PS5 is just 60fps,​
  • Phil Spencer: ”I felt good after the PS5 show​
  • Sony is not our Competition​
  • Sony produces Cinematic walking only simulators, once and down, no game-play games.​
  • Quantum error struggles to hit 30 fps at 4k in CORRIDORS, Developer responds to Tweet, actually, we are hitting 65-75 fps unoptimized, and not just Corridors.​
  • Xbox era crew getting caught red-handed literally plotting strategies on how to attack the ps5​
  • Alex joining the Xbox era discord crew is simply unacceptable for a DF employee​

Some more you can add:

- PS5 is a hybrid RDNA 1.5, RDNA 1 with raytracing tacked on
- PS5 doesn't have VRS
- PS5 will run games 40-50FPS lesser than XSX
- PS5 Tempest Engine is reusing a CU from GPU. 36CUs includes Tempest Engine CU, so PS5 Teraflops is actually lower
- PS5 was supposed to be released on 2019, they pushed it to 2020, hence all their parts are older than XSX
- PS5 devkits werent ready in time, whereas XSX retail unit was already ready by December 2019
- PS5 registered hardware patents too late, they aren't ready for 2020 Holiday release
- MS completely surprised Sony for Next-Gen, PS5 launch and pre-launch is similar to PS3. History is repeating itself
- Development in PS5 is hard like PS3. Devs are having a hard time developing games for PS5
- PS5 PSU is 200watts, its APU is small too.
- PS5 is using AMD's mobile APU range, this range doesnt have raytracing as well (the whole Big Navi 20/21/22 jazz)
- There is no machine learning in PS5
- Dualsense is X1 Controller xerox
- PS5 doesnt have raytracing because they barely talked about it in Road to PS5 video
- Due to hardware backwards compatibility requirement, Sony had to make PS5 weak

ToadMan

These were the slide pages for the Xbox one hotchips. People like Redgamingtech, NXgamer and DigitalFoundry can get much more deeper understanding from this. I know that wishing for a RT demo is just wishful thinking. Nonetheless it will be informative to know more about the Xbox and also likely custom RDNA2 inside Xbox. Then they can also compare it to PS5 like RGT did last time.

Could be. Maybe they’ll just let it over run - it’s the last thing of the day.

That example you gave is 18 slides - so at 2 minutes per slide that’s 36 minutes. Just about the budget ....

If they’re gonna do that they may as well not bother talking and just post the slides - those example slides are so busy the audience won’t hear what the presenters are saying anyway.

I do mostly ignore the FUD. This is why I've not heard of either MBG or Timdog till the last few days. Whether they're genuine or playing a persona makes no difference to me. As a gamer I enjoy when other people discover games. So with my own view of that, and seeing MBG's history of being Xbox only till 2019 and then switching sides to Playstation, because Crackdown 3 was the straw that broke the camel's back for him as he realised what we all know. Xbox has no games, so he went and chose to play games. Nothing wrong with that. Especially when you consider plenty of fanboys just stubbornly carry on with the spreading FUD to damage control, it's nice to see and hear 1 of them go "I was wrong" because I see half the console warriors on this board would probably kill their own loved ones than stop attacking the other brand.

I had an Xbox and 360. I remember when Microsoft wasn't just about multiplayer GaaS games.
Discovered JRPGs on the 360 if you can believe it.

Gamernyc78

Banned
I had an Xbox and 360. I remember when Microsoft wasn't just about multiplayer GaaS games.
Discovered JRPGs on the 360 if you can believe it.

And all ppl want are those investment in games you mentioned during the 360 days, not the mediocrity in games we get now or sole focus on gamepass filler. I respect the gamer that just wants more and doesn't make excuses. I hear you bro wish it was back to those days.

Grinchy

Banned
Remember xbox showed minecraft running on xsx with full global illumination rtx at 60fps 1080p.
What do you think the PS5 would manage? 900p?

edit- of course beaten already

This is what you are misremembering. I hope they show more of this soon, though. This is one of the few things that have me excited about XSX.

Last edited:

By-mission

Sorry you are right. 30fps. But what would it mean for the ps5?

To be honest, and that's because I'm a PlayStation guy, 900p would be very optimistic ..
here besides the obvious, power difference, there is the fact that they have optimization problems, as well as programmers (quantity) ...
if i were to talk about resolution i would kick some 720p (source my ass) and i'm talking about the software, not about hardware PS5 ok.

Last edited:
I think these rumours had some sort of truth to them, at some early point in time.

Like the overheating issue, as you've just said, this was an issue with early development kits because Sony had not gotten the thermals under control and likely because the silicon wasn't even finalised. My guess is this would have been around some time in early 2018, however this is just a guess.

As for the RE8 running on PS5 rumour, I think there is possibly two explanations. The first is that it's bullshit FUD spreading, The second is that it may have been an issue with porting the game from the PC or Series X to the PS5, we already know that the coding and programming can take a while so the graphics engine can't really take advantage of the hardware architecture until that stage is complete. This happens all the time in game developement and a good example is the Horizon Zero Dawn port to PC.

I would add that, leading up to the upcoming Gen, the spotlight is more on these two consoles than it ever has been in the past, any sort of information, good or bad is being is being aggressively sought after and both companies are doing an almost excellent job at being tight lipped.
The major problem i have with this is: what? RE8 is not made on PS5 from the beginning? The PS5 version is where all the sells will go. And RE8 is not made with PS5 architecture in mind? They think about the PS5 at the very end of the process? Really? It can only mean one thing: it's a PS4 game with corridors.... and it can't run on PS5? A corridors game? Really? Because if RE8 were open world, it would have no problem running on PS5. The PS5 is design for this type of games... that's why this makes no sense.

Last edited:

By-mission

It means that MS developers can't handle even minecraft in RT.

sorry if you look harsh, and without wanting to advocate for a company as rich as Microsoft, but we have to see big picture...
if you watch the God of War 2018 documentary, you'll realize that making games is literally a big mess!
they had been with the project since 2012 and after 3 years of development they were literally lost in everything, of course Cory had his vision, but everything else still had to be done, and when they showed it at first it was desperate and after in the E3 presentation itself Cory played the demo with great care not to leave the script and crash the game ... so yes, about 75% of Goty in 2018 was done in 1 year and 6 months ... so give them a break ...

I don't remember who this sentence is but if someone knows I give the person credit:
"9 pregnant women don't make a baby in a month"
so yes, there are things that are only done with time ..

Last edited:

mejin

Yes it does. Quite a few console launch (a.k.a. timed) exclusives.
Which is odd, since Phil said exclusivity is bad...

games that will come to steam day one.

Only PS5 will have games only available to it.

This is one the differential Sony is selling and it is a valid one.

People buy Nintendo hardwares to play their games and buy PlayStation cause it is the console with the most complete lineup of games, first and 3rd party. But not even MS knows why people should buy a Xbox...PR is a mess and even the top head always contradicts himself.

J-Gru when asked to hint about GamePass rumors.

Re thinks this means EA Play is coming to GamePass.

makes sense. It's no megaton, but gives more value to gamepass.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom