• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick Gif I made, I've never noticed Ratchet's shadow was far from him in the Trailer
ezgif-4-ee41be04635e.gif

yewles1

He never said anything like that. The XSX will have it easier to push more Pixels, PS5 will be have much better pixel quality. In true is, the PS5 with his all fixed function and i/o will be have much more ram per frame (at least 3,5 times and split ram sucks)
They won't able to juice that extra power out the XSX in the long run due to hardware limits, this is where it's deficiency in frequency management will cost it dearly (amongst many other things). Sorry this not analogous to PS3 in any way
He literally brought up the PS3 multiple times as reference in that interview when bringing up the XSX's problems. The only way this can NOT be comparable with 7th Gen is with the fact that it could actually be WORSE for MS with not enough talented devs finding workarounds to these obvious roadblocks with the lacking I/O and SSD, split RAM and slower GPU. You disagree, that's fine, I'm not arguing any further.

LucidFlux

Loved hearing R&C was launch window but best thing I saw in 2 hours....
1DvduVw.jpg

The way they were describing the haptics and adaptive triggers... /drool

I cannot wait to get my hands on that controller. Just that simple example of being able to halfway depress the trigger until you felt resistance to shoot one shell from the double barrel shotgun made me realize how much potential is there not only to enhance physical feedback but allow new gameplay opportunities.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
one thing i have never understood about Rachet and clank is when they destroy items, the number of effects, debris is overwhelming. Tonight again, i was like wow, do we really need hundreds of little pieces flying all over the place. Don't those kinda effects take a serious strain on the cpu, i mean seriously some of the scenes, i lost sight of the main viewing areas as there are so many things flying about.

I love ratchet and clank, i really do, its about the only place i could think that sometimes to much is to much

Last edited:

FunkMiller

It wasn't two seconds it was much longer and they didn't hand control back to Ratchet until he landed on the ship at the very end of the sequence and started firing at the enemies.

Serious question: how much do you understand about how games are developed? Because everything you’re saying rather indicates that you don’t have a good working knowledge of how a game world is constructed. Whether control is handed back or not is irrelevant when we’re talking about the loading of entire game worlds (comprising many, many individual assets) seemlessly one after the other in a matter of seconds. They all have to load in whether you’re in control of the character or not. And we’re not talking just additional areas in a pre-existing world map. We’re talking full, new worlds, with high LOD and DOF. It doesn’t matter what console this is being done on. It’s incredible stuff wherever it’s being shown.

Last edited:

B_Boss

one thing i have never understood about Rachet and clank is when they destroy items, the number of effects, debris is overwhelming. Tonight again, i was like wow, do we really need hundreds of little pieces flying all over the place. Don't those kinda effects take a serious strain on the cpu, i mean seriously some of the scenes, i lost sight of the main viewing areas as there are so many things flying about.

I love ratchet and clank, i really do, its about the only place i could think that sometimes to much is to much

I absolutely love particle effects in games! Always have 🔥! I’m also sure Insomniac is on top of technical limits and issues.

Serious question: how much do you understand about how games are developed? Because everything you’re saying rather indicates that you don’t have a good working knowledge of how a game world is constructed. Whether control is handed back or not is irrelevant when we’re talking about the loading of entire game worlds (comprising many, many individual assets) seemlessly one after the other in a matter of seconds. They all have to load in whether you’re in control of the character or not.

It's clear he's baiting. Don't dignify him with a response.

jimbojim

Banned

InFamous SS was released during launch window. So, March at latest for R&C

*takes a screenshot*

Did you?

You're right, it isn't a cutscene - it's an elevator sequence loading screen.

2 sec is not even to consider as a loading, it is as fast as a fade to black effect.

Even Zeldas on SNES and N64 cartridges had loadings for a few seconds. But this in R&C is better.

Last edited:

splattered

Serious question: how much do you understand about how games are developed? Because everything you’re saying rather indicates that you don’t have a good working knowledge of how a game world is constructed. Whether control is handed back or not is irrelevant when we’re talking about the loading of entire game worlds (comprising many, many individual assets) seemlessly one after the other in a matter of seconds. They all have to load in whether you’re in control of the character or not. And we’re not talking just additional areas in a pre-existing world map. We’re talking full, new worlds, with high LOD and DOF. It doesn’t matter what console this is being done on. It’s incredible stuff wherever it’s being shown.

Entire game worlds?

Ok so you're telling me that those weren't just large beautiful set pieces loaded in succession as Ratchet zipped through each of them to his final destination where you can tell that the camera jerks a bit freeing itself to give you control of the character again?

If at any point through each of those transitions they let the player stop chasing Dr Nefarious and instead NOT warp forward to the next set piece and instead turn around and start freely exploring this huge entire new world i would agree with you.

I'm sorry but i feel like you are kind of reaching here stating that he is warping through entire worlds when the camera has your character on a set path facing the direction the developers intend for you to see until it loads up the world you are actually able to start exploring again.

***To be clear also, i've said this game looks GREAT. I really like the Ratchet and Clank series i just feel like people are blowing stuff like this out of proportion because we are desperate for next gen advancements that we really haven't seen much of yet.

Last edited:

Nowcry

They fixed this part:
Old

New

They have fixed the shadows but I think they have reduced the quality of the lighting? Could new trailer be the 60fps version?

There were some very smooth animations that made me wonder if it was running at 60 fps.

Last edited:
It's more like those "squeezing through a gap" kinda corridor things. But those aren't loading an entirely different area of a game in that time, just some extra assets for a current area.

I can see that but it takes even less time than some of those sections. I know the animation is to hide loading but when it takes so little time can you really say that it's a big interruption to gameplay?

Imagine if every portal jump was as long an elevator sequence.

kyliethicc

Entire game worlds?

Ok so you're telling me that those weren't just large beautiful set pieces loaded in succession as Ratchet zipped through each of them to his final destination where you can tell that the camera jerks a bit freeing itself to give you control of the character again?

If at any point through each of those transitions they let the player stop chasing Dr Nefarious and instead NOT warp forward to the next set piece and instead turn around and start freely exploring this huge entire new world i would agree with you.

I'm sorry but i feel like you are kind of reaching here stating that he is warping through entire worlds when the camera has your character on a set path facing the direction the developers intend for you to see until it loads up the world you are actually able to start exploring again.

***To be clear also, i've said this game looks GREAT. I really like the Ratchet and Clank series i just feel like people are blowing stuff like this out of proportion because we are desperate for next gen advancements that we really haven't seen much of yet.
Just because a game is linear does NOT make anything you said correct. Worlds are worlds, whether just being shown for 5 seconds during an on-rails linear moment or a free roaming area. Still shows the same technical ability of the system to load.

Dodkrake

Banned
Assuming R&C is doing a full load / unload cycle of RAM, and with the confirmation that what we saw as indeed all gameplay, the absurd speed of PS5's SSD and IO are confirmed. Less than 2 seconds to load a new world implies that, worst case (2 full seconds) they would be loading 6.75GB per second into RAM (if they are loading 13.5GB), which is godlike tiers of loading speeds. Most universal changes occur between 1 and 1.8 sec, so it can go as far as 10+GB sec, as promised.

Simply incredible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom