• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

J_Gamer.exe

I was being super conservative on my calculations because let's face it, some of the assets may be reused, and you will not be unloading and reloading the full ram in all scenarios. But they did deliver in everything
  • Native 4k
  • Amazing audio
  • Little to no loading times
  • Ray Tracing

Yes, also its not a load from nothing the character is still being animated through the load screen.

So actual loads could take less, depends how a game does it, but no game should take longer than 1.8 seconds, a fade or whatever.

Last edited:

I am partially agree but also you can spent a lot money to have a PC better than the XSX.

As I say before if you have problems to be able to afford both and you are adult who work probably
your time should be used in trying to have a better job instead to participate in a console war
between companies but also saying that the companies need to show you games you want to play.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
I find these funny comments coming from these accounts.

EgddiVwXgAIaZOP

EgddiovWoAEJ-c2

EgddjTbX0AADNcz

Just my $0.02 on Ratchet for launch window comment.

PS (and likely Xbox) have created positions dedicated to working with first and third party studios to strategize launch timelines so major titles don't overlap. It's why we've seen many more first party titles in Q1/Q2 this gen than in past gens.

Even if the game was 100% ready, it makes no sense to cannibalize their own sales by launching RC & Spider-Man at the same time. More likely Nov & Dec 2020 to space them out.

THE:MILKMAN

Hard to say what is going on over there. Keeping the S model underwraps for so long is also strange since we’re so close to release.

Forza 7 released in 2017 and Forza 8 is still classed today as early development.

None of it makes sense.

Apparently Turn10 were/are helping 343 out. We don't know to what extent but that would put somewhat of a dent on Forza development (I think Turn10 are not much above 100 strong?).

I would imagine they are at least late 2022 or more realistically some time in 2023 unless MS get them help in return to speed things up.

People really buy 2nd consoles for 3rd party games? Shit that is new to me, i always wNted to play gears from cbox, but never sctually thought bout buying console just for that

Yes, also its not a load from nothing the character is still being animated through the load screen.

So actual loads could take less, depends how a game does it, but no game should take longer than 1.8 seconds, a fade or whatever.

Loading of the next level can’t even begin until Ratchet is fully in the portal realm thing. There’s nowhere for any SSD data to park if the RAM is being used rendering the previous level. If they did a black screen fade-out it would be much quicker, but for artistic reasons they have Ratchet falling through a hole into the dimension realm which adds time, as well as him falling out of it again.

You’d need to time it from when the last pixel of the old level is no longer visible until the first pixel of the new level is opening up to get an idea of data load in time.

Not to mention doing this while also loading the dimension realm and keeping Ratchet still on screen and animated.

It’s impressive work and the IO is screaming fast.

We’re going back to true cartridge game loading speeds, lads. And not 100MB/s Nintendo Switch “cartridges” either, and all without having to blow into the connectors (or lick them, as my wife apparently used to do if they didn’t work).

It’s going to be snappy and responsive. The era and energy sapping tyranny of data loading from spinning discs—optical or magnetic—is over.

If Ghost of Tsushima (and its unique way of handling assets) gets a PS5 patch, it would mean being at your fast-travel destination as soon as you press the button on your destination.
Map up, pan to where you want to be on the map, press the fast travel button and you’re already there before the map screen has even started to fade out.

I think this is why PS5 seems to want to move a game’s main menu screen to the PS5 dashboard itself. Games that exploit that feature will in a way be as if they’re always running, ready for you to hit Continue or create a lobby etc

ethomaz

Banned
Then MS has tried to play the mother of all bluffs. Surely not.

If they have, the ramifications would be catastrophic.
Probably the hardware is finalized and working but the software not.
They believe they will fix until the launch.
The DevKit software is probably not finalized too... that is why devs can’t show games running even on DevKits.

Only guesses.

But I remember similar situation with Xbox One... big day one patch to make the machine functional.

Krisprolls

Banned
The DevKit software is probably not finalized too... that is why devs can’t show games running even on DevKits.

Only guesses.

But I remember similar situation with Xbox One... big day one patch to make the machine functional.

That, or it's not really more powerful like they said and it hurts the narrative they want to sell.

Every sign points to multiplatform games looking roughly the same on both platforms actually.

Last edited:

roops67

He literally brought up the PS3 multiple times as reference in that interview when bringing up the XSX's problems. The only way this can NOT be comparable with 7th Gen is with the fact that it could actually be WORSE for MS with not enough talented devs finding workarounds to these obvious roadblocks with the lacking I/O and SSD, split RAM and slower GPU. You disagree, that's fine, I'm not arguing any further.
Not sure you aimed that at me or the other guy?

Yeah I see Ali Salehi did make a comparison to the XSX and the PS3 in the interpretation. I don't know maybe he was being kind to the XSX or maybe the interpretation was slightly off

On the whole Ali has been correct about the PS5 and he deserves ultimate kudos for it as he was one of the first! But his XSX PS3 comparison is a bit pair shaped I don't exactly agree with, again it may have been the interpretation...

(Stuff you may know already) The PS3 had no physical bottlenecks, yes it was a nightmare cos developers who could not understand it's CELL processor couldn't utilize it's advantages, it was totally different paradigm shift in programming techniques. The CELL was too exotic and alien to the average devs so it was a big learning curve which took time to master. Yeah it's RSX GPU by itself could not compete with 360's GPU, but it was tailored to work in conjunction with the CELL and when it was used that way the PS3 outshone everything the 360 had to offer

Whereas XSX is the direct opposite, it is very familiar territory for the developers and more like the traditional PC (much more than the PS5). The bottlenecks here have nothing to do with devs trying to master the system, the bottlenecks is real in the physical hardware, no amount of expert programming or new software api's will make it perform better than the hardware innovations implemented in the PS5

But hey I'm no authority (leave that to lepermessiah 🙃 ). I just have a passion for innovative technology... I suspect you too ?

Last edited:

HAL-01

I think this is why PS5 seems to want to move a game’s main menu screen to the PS5 dashboard itself. Games that exploit that feature will in a way be as if they’re always running, ready for you to hit Continue or create a lobby etc
Ding ding ding ding ding
That will be the PS5's equivalent to quick resume. Every game will simply feel like it's already running in the background. It makes sense considering Moore's Law Is Dead described the PS5 UI as a netflix for games

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue

Only guesses.

That’s because they changed gears so the machine didn’t have to be always online and sync with a server. There were some other changes as well.
I don’t think this is the same thing.

I never thought we are going to be less than 2 months before the release of XSX and we still without
see any new game running in the machine.

What the deliver the dev kit this January or what if they expect all the studios be able to dev and
optimize its games in less than year well, Redmond you have a big problem there because you know
the games should be gold around 1 month before its release.
giphy.gif

Last edited:

OrionNebula

its sad looking at his timeline, he's so pissed that PS5 games actually look good

this is your brain on fanboyism

Man... curiosity got the best of me and I poked around that twitter... holy shit that’s some toxic fanboy stuff everywhere you look

On a side note, having 0 gameplay series x shown yet that close to the release is indeed worrying

I was pleasantly surprised by how fast Ratchet & Clank went from ‘’looks alright, will need to see more’’ to ‘’holy shit I gotta play this!’’ for me
Looks like a fun, chaotic time, and rifting ‘verses looks super fun

Musings after tonight's events:

Microsoft proponents(Colt, Jez, etc.) are wise, if a bit late, to be concerned. The single biggest gaming show outside of E3 just had it's opening show and Microsoft was found wanting yet again.

They've gone to the proverbial well for excuses and spin, but it has long since dried up. We know the system is capable, why isn't anything running on it?

NOTHING, not even your faltering flagship, which was in such dire straits a big-time formed employee returned to help?

Meanwhile, Sony stays silent.

But have they really?

They've shown tidbits of information and games since their show. Moreover, they kept their system at the forefront of the public eye by not only showing true next-gen gameplay, but also having it running on the hardware, whilst also confirming it to be a launch window title.

Another major trade event just had it's opening ceremony and Sony comes out on the tip of everybody's tongue, impressing even the pundits, without even truly being there.

Microsoft MUST step up. This is situation critical now. It was funny to make memes, but I find a degree of severity here now and they must be held accountable for failing to deliver. I hope they have time to respond, because playing chicken with price isn't going to matter. People aren't thinking your system is worth it.

J_Gamer.exe

Loading of the next level can’t even begin until Ratchet is fully in the portal realm thing. There’s nowhere for any SSD data to park if the RAM is being used rendering the previous level. If they did a black screen fade-out it would be much quicker, but for artistic reasons they have Ratchet falling through a hole into the dimension realm which adds time, as well as him falling out of it again.

You’d need to time it from when the last pixel of the old level is no longer visible until the first pixel of the new level is opening up to get an idea of data load in time.

Not to mention doing this while also loading the dimension realm and keeping Ratchet still on screen and animated.

It’s impressive work and the IO is screaming fast.

We’re going back to true cartridge game loading speeds, lads. And not 100MB/s Nintendo Switch “cartridges” either, and all without having to blow into the connectors (or lick them, as my wife apparently used to do if they didn’t work).

It’s going to be snappy and responsive. The era and energy sapping tyranny of data loading from spinning discs—optical or magnetic—is over.

If Ghost of Tsushima (and its unique way of handling assets) gets a PS5 patch, it would mean being at your fast-travel destination as soon as you press the button on your destination.
Map up, pan to where you want to be on the map, press the fast travel button and you’re already there before the map screen has even started to fade out.

Yes I mentioned portal animaton etc being included in my last post I think and being anaimated through the load screen is indeed impressive.

I actually did a count and analysis last time... last reveal.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom