• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

geordiemp

Also, the other manufacturer promises they'll have a car ready. They haven't shown it yet, but they promise it's real!

Oh how I miss the GAF laughs. The hardware for both consoles was done many many months ago and is already shipping to warehouses.

Just becasue there are no demo stations in a COVID world people just gone silly. There is even a GAF thread about it lol. My sides.

Both will be working on API / drivers and OS, that is what takes TIME.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I think what you (and me) REALLY want is a "road to ps5, part2"...
1h of to the point technical know how about the PS5, and I don't care if all these fancy youtubers and influencers have no idea what he is talking about :messenger_beaming:
That'd be cool but its never gonna happen.

We will get a normal Sony teardown that shows us shit like "this is our custom 90mm centrifugal fan" and "this is our new patented heatsink" and "heres the expansion bay for a M.2 drive" and "here is the SOC" etc.

Its not gonna be like Xbox at hot chips or Cerny's talk.

Fordino

never mind nothing to see her, this dude revealed jack shit in this new video. Don't waste your time folks!
I blocked CrapgamerReviews on YouTube a while back, his videos still appear in my Home tab annoyingly.

Every video title is clickbait and has absolutely no relevant information, it’s hilarious.

The comments to his videos are the best bit, I had to stop myself from reading them to avoid giving him a view, for every bullshit video.

LiquidRex

What exactly it said?

CK6V4Ja.png

Fm4tH7h.png

HAL-01

Let's put some perspective.

▼ 2013 PS4 technical demo of a head without a backgorund on 1.8TF hardware ▼
1cNK.gif

▼ NaughtyDog Game in 2019 on the same hardware (non-pro) ▼
tumblr_pycztbt6nr1tbvyo3o3_500.gifv

tenor.gif

ellietlousmallb7kz6.gif

▼ Game in development for PS5 for 2021 on 10.28TF hardware ▼
55cafa3b1e3f11cdc4aaa9d7be1c6338d5d7d821.gifv

▼ NaughtyDog game in 2026 for that new hardware ▼
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I await the day real time skin shaders match the quality of artist’s zbrush renders, oh to have faces look like these

pJbOtKU.jpg

vSoCV0N.jpg

My guess if the latest news sony is distributing their api and dev support based on what they done for Ratchet and Miles, probably doing efficient api based on LOcal Ray (written in Vulkan) if its Sony that is the console manufacterer who has adopted it. No news yet, likely in teardown.

Which of the AMD and Sony method patents made it to the hardware is speculation, both Sony and MS not said anything really oven hotchips wwas mainly PR................VRS and mesh shaders are not news.
Wellcome back and
giphy.gif

What's the issue with the moderation here on the forum?

Deleting posts that are 100% factual.
But yeah if you stay the stock market will either go up or go down it's disgenious, because it could also be halted.

Nice job in a speculation topic.

So here is the post again:
PS5 will either rarely hit 2.23GHz under load or Sony invested heavily in a wider design to make those frequencies possible which is now proven with the confirmed RTX 3000 clock and big Navi.

PS5 is the only HPC expectation going for those clocks out of the box and they have to pay for it, or it's just a marketing bullet point. Magic does not exist in that business. It's all laws of physics.

Fuck censorship

Last edited:

geordiemp

But yeah if you stay ste stock market will either go up or go down it's disgenious, because it could also be halted.

PS5 will either rarely hit 2.23GHz under load or Sony invested heavily in a wider design to make those frequencies possible which is now proven with the confirmed RTX 3000 clock and big Navi.

PS5 is the only HPC Expedition going for those clocks out of the box and they have to pay for it, or it's just a marketing bullet point. Magic does not exist in that business. It's all laws of physics.

Fuck censorship

What on earth are you claiming here, spreading poor FUD on ps5 clocks again ? What is comfirmed exactly ?

What information do you have on TSMC partial EUV clock speeds ?

Do you know which process 3000 runs on ? Do you know which fab ? It could be Samsung.

Do you know RDNA2 PC pars speed with 40 CU ? Thought not...

If you want some node information and some actual facts, here you go on node change for TSMC 7nm to 2nd gen

Cb0ha4S.png

So the real question is why is XSX slighly just above a 5700 ?

Last edited:
What on earth are you claiming here, spreading poor FUD on ps5 clocks again ? What is comfirmed exactly ?

What information do you have on TSMC partial EUV clock speeds ?

Do you know which process 3000 runs on ? Do you know which fab ? It could be Samsung.

Do you know RDNA2 PC pars speed with 40 CU ? Thought not...

7nm the fab in South Korea.
No it's not Samsung
PC RDNA2 is running below 2k

Entroyp

But yeah if you stay the stock market will either go up or go down it's disgenious, because it could also be halted.

PS5 is the only HPC expectation going for those clocks out of the box and they have to pay for it, or it's just a marketing bullet point. Magic does not exist in that business. It's all laws of physics.

Fuck censorship

Last edited:

HAL-01

Well they are in-engine renders and it's the quality you are getting in cut-scenes.
These are the source sculpt, not in engine model. These are offline renders specifically to showcase the model at its highest quality. Cutscenes wish they looked like this

Last edited:

CrysisFreak

Banned

Fuck censorship
>describes his post as factual
>goes on to hypothesise
just lol

geordiemp

I've thrown my estimation on rdna2, too. it is very obvious (observing rdna data) that the power comes from CUs and not overboosted clockspeed.
But its like talking to deaf ears sometimes.

No. On TSMC the 2nd gen is actually faster by quite a bit and this is early engineering, there have been multiple changes since as process matures. Add 10 % to 2 Ghz....what do you get ?

Cerny already told us the limit for GPU propagation is 2.23 GHz cap for ps5s design on the process they have chosen. You do realise that there is 7nm, 7nmP, 7nm with partial EUV which can be 1 to 4 layers....? And the gate width is actuallly 6 nm :messenger_beaming: .

What have MS chosen, what have sony chosen from the fab ?.

yb0gV8A.png

Last edited:
No. On TSMC the 2nd gen is actually faster by quite a bit and this is early engineering, there have been multiple changes since as process matures. Aff 10 % to 2 Ghz....what do you get ?

yb0gV8A.png
that chart lacks scale in order to be read, and even if we take the "5%" for granted, we are talking about more than triple that 5% here.

TBiddy

You can't help yourself, can you? Cut the bullshit.

Found the guy who can't take a joke. A pre-rendered version of the hardware is about a "real" as the XSX games running on PC, though, if you really want to take this seriously.

Oh how I miss the GAF laughs. The hardware for both consoles was done many many months ago and is already shipping to warehouses.

But of course. Just like there are games running on the XSX. That was the point.

Last edited:

geordiemp

that chart lacks scale in order to be read, and even if we take the "5%" for granted, we are talking about more than triple that 5% here.

Read above, its > 5 % as thats worst case early engineering , and its DUV or 1-4 layers of EUV is all supposed to be 7nm, what have sony chosen - its 6 nm actually FinFET gate width on gen 2.

Take 2 Ghz and add 10 %. Cerny already told us the GPU hard cap. Which process they selected for faster is up to Sony.

MS and Sony will not reveal exactly TSMC process they use and what they have selected. MS were asked in the hot chips and refused to answer any of these questions. They maybe same, they maybe different

Go work out logic cap on 5700 if it had liquid metal thermal heat transfer and add roughly 10 %.

Last edited:

Dodkrake

Banned
7nm the fab in South Korea.
No it's not Samsung
PC RDNA2 is running below 2k

What does it say under "game clock"?

xhYdXvoF5sVNjDLfyVGFfS-970-80.jpg.webp

Edit: sauce on game clocks - https://gamecrate.com/amd-explains-their-new-game-clock-gpu-metric-boost-base-radeon-e3-2019/23309

Think of game clock as a base, while gaming. So what that means is that, in realistic gaming situations, you'd be going somewhere in between game and boost.

This seems awfully close to PS5 clocks, no? And the PS5 is a closed system...

Last edited:

leizzra

These are the source sculpt, not in engine model..

If by that you mean they were taken from Zbrush then no. Those are:

e0e6629d97203ac3122b0d2427f0e9ee876b5c74.jpeg

d362d3b1fe6da271f6c75a8184b8d4a487719d33.jpeg

And try to compare those (in-engine) to what you shown:

97d008124f9aeb8d486e3df7a3b290e9e9566e1e.jpeg

359f03fae94f3c2ac67454ed0d1bf63f7af3d321.jpeg

2886497-uncharted-4_drake-surprised.jpg

The difference is that what you have shown was made by artist for showcase use (like for lecture at GDC). He lit the characters as he wanted to show what he wanted. Lighting for games is different. In cut-scenes you can controll it better and it makes huge difference in showing the quality of your models (ND are masters in that from Uncharted till now). Still it'll focus on what director wants to show so not always it'll be focused on making pores pop more or for good subsurface scattering look. It's not offline CGI magic (it's pointless when we already have great real time solutions).

Neo Blaster

I would still be pissed in Japan if this is what they are doing! The ani is only ever on 3rd of Dec. They ain't the Queen! I think if the event is on the 9th it is coincidence. The PS4 Pro was revealed on 7th Sept and PS4 on the 20th Feb and if PS5 full reveal is on the 9th it means all events happened on a Wednesday. Maybe that mid-week timing works best for Sony business?
Hmm, I didn't notice those PS Meetings were on Wednesdays, good point. That's one more coincidence to the list, there's just too much to be nothing, and now we know what format they could be using for the event.

About pissing off Japan, Sony already had their original 25th anniversary on PlayStation Awards 2019. Don't you remember PSErebus debacle after he said Sony would announce full BC on their anniversary?

Read above, its > 5 % as thats worst case early engineering , and its DUV or 1-4 layers of EUV is all supposed to be 7nm, what have sony chosen - its 6 nm actually FinFET gate width on gen 2.

Take 2 Ghz and add 10 %. Cerny already told us the GPU hard cap. Which process they selected for faster is up to Sony.

MS and Sony will not reveal exactly TSMC process they use and what they have selected. MS were asked in the hot chips and refused to answer any of these questions. They maybe same, they maybe different

Go work out logic cap on 5700 if it had liquid metal thermal heat transfer and add roughly 10 %.
actually I've put up some watercooling overclock tests on games, where the frequency was pushed up to the limit, and locked to not fall never below 2050. the gpu remained very cool, yet the results were "disappointing"

geordiemp

actually I've put up some watercooling overclock tests on games, where the frequency was pushed up to the limit, and locked to not fall never below 2050. the gpu remained very cool, yet the results were "disappointing"

RDNA1 will be limited performance to somewhere between 1.9 and 2 Ghz for 40 CU. Do you know the cap for it ? Add 10 % roughly.

If you have a 5700 and super cooling you could do this roughly and work out where performance drops in Mhz Would be interesting but does not give us RDNA2 performance limit - what I dug up is oldish gen 2 and generic TSMC node info..

TSMC are more secretive than North Korea !

Last edited:

BGs

Industry Professional
I await the day real time skin shaders match the quality of artist’s zbrush renders, oh to have faces look like these

pJbOtKU.jpg

vSoCV0N.jpg
In essence a Render will always be ahead of a RealTime. Always.

But in the perceptible you can see things like the ones you indicate (and better) in the generation that is about to start. Although logically only of those studies that have the quality, time and adequate budget (together, if a leg limps the result is affected), which unfortunately are few. Personally, I can think of two firsts from MS and six from Sony. And then there is NaughtyDog that does not make games, it makes demos of what we will play on the next Sony consoles (PS6, PS7, ...).

Take it with humor.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom