• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aceofspades

Banned
They really pit the Series X against the Intellivision Amico as "most wanted tech" instead of the PS5. Can't make this up folks.

f78.png

XSX and Amico share the same fate, they both will fail in front of more successful competition.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I wonder which is more valid - an award that nobody cares about or Twitter-polls which nobody cares about?

We should probably have a poll to decide 👍

Found the guy who can't take a joke. A pre-rendered version of the hardware is about a "real" as the XSX games running on PC, though, if you really want to take this seriously.
But of course. Just like there are games running on the XSX. That was the point.

The lack of physical Ps5 footage is somewhat concerning, given how close to launch it is. There should be some out in the wild now. Maybe Sony’s security is beefy this time around. If we don’t see one in September, that’d be alarm bells time. Same goes for the lack of Series X games footage - although that feels more of a serious issue right now.

Last edited:
RDNA1 will be limited performance to somewhere between 1.9 and 2 Ghz for 40 CU. Do you know the cap for it ? Add 10 % roughly.

If you have a 5700 and super cooling you could do this roughly and work out where performance drops in Mhz Would be interesting but does not give us RDNA2 performance limit - what I dug up is oldish gen 2 and generic TSMC node info..

TSMC are more secretive than North Korea !
The liquid cooling overclock tests were at 2.300Ghz, with a lock to ensure that when amd card spiked down (regular problem even if not overclocked), it would never fall below 2050.
I think maybe you were not here at the time I posted that. here's a link for my post, and two post below that is a link to the test:

By-mission

Strange post, I asked for evidence yes. I didn't ignore anything presented so why make that claim? I note that you haven't actually responded to the evidence I posted.

I don't know what your image is from, I assume it's the 'evil Xbox discord' group. I don't know whether it's genuine, but I'm prepared to take it at face value.

Is it your position that he's not allowed to post on a discord, or mix with people that you don't approve of? Or is it meant to be evidence that he's some kind of 'deep state' operative? That would be a bit ridiculous wouldn't it?

I don't see any wrong doing in what you've posted.

Is it this?

"Enjoy your time here and as far as I am concerned we are not bashing the PS5 but the ones that try to spin reality"

because I completely agree with him and the sentiment of what he said. In fact I find myself doing in this very reply. It doesn't indicate an underlying bias, only a lack of patience with the most rabid fanboys.

Nothing wrong with that.

If he can join the FUD group? Well, he can join whoever he wants. The point is that he represents Digital Foundry, he uses it to reach millions of people. That's is normal?
FSmHSeK.jpg

HhLnng6.jpg

In an analogy he can join with whomever he wants, "just like President Trump and the Russians" if you think this is normal there is nothing to discuss either.

Great Hair

Banned
Well, at least it's still funny.

Those 3 dudes shared their experience, as they were live there.

"you could listen a coin drop"
"awkward silence"
"audible groan" live blogs, many other stating the same, similar

The IGN video got updated 2016, the article of the xbone e3 2013 show got updated 2016. Care to explain, why IGN updates a 3 year old by then article?

applause equals now audible groan after price announcement, awkward silence, you could listen a coin drop? Huh?

..yet saudumm, nikotin, this new dude with an alt created the 17th. of august 2020 trying to tell you that there was an applause. There was no applause.

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
If he can join the FUD group? Well, he can join whoever he wants. The point is that he represents Digital Foundry, he uses it to reach millions of people. That's is normal?
FSmHSeK.jpg

HhLnng6.jpg

In an analogy he can join with whomever he wants, "just like President Trump and the Russians" if you think this is normal there is nothing to discuss either.
Don't bother with him I made a more than 10 points arguments and he tried to answer 2 of them and missed the point both times...
The thing is he wants facts over a bias ...we showed fact that he was skewed heavily toward Xbox and PC but those aren't biased facts because they are all piece of opinion disguised as an analysis.Unless he comes out and litteraly says "yeah fuck sony" there's no fact and even there it can be interpreted as a lies.
But we have evidence of double standards and a severe difference of treatment.Not even counting lies and bullshit.

Oh shit looks like a bunch of PC guys upset the PS5 clocks higher than their £1500 -3090. Inferiority complex or what!

As the good brother Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem said
The quicker you accept the PS5 does things your £2000+ PC can't dream off. The easier this all gets. You dont have to go through the seven stages of grief.
If you just accept the great tech coming out.

Neo Blaster

What's the issue with the moderation here on the forum?

Deleting posts that are 100% factual.
But yeah if you stay the stock market will either go up or go down it's disgenious, because it could also be halted.

Nice job in a speculation topic.

So here is the post again:
PS5 will either rarely hit 2.23GHz under load or Sony invested heavily in a wider design to make those frequencies possible which is now proven with the confirmed RTX 3000 clock and big Navi.

PS5 is the only HPC expectation going for those clocks out of the box and they have to pay for it, or it's just a marketing bullet point. Magic does not exist in that business. It's all laws of physics.

Fuck censorship
Someone is really begging for a permaban.

Last edited:
Oh shit looks like a bunch of PC guys upset the PS5 clocks higher than their £1500 -3090. Inferiority complex or what!

That's something I find a bit odd about the PCMR. They hear that some console has better IO or whatever than their current SSD, so they'll remortgage their house, sell their car, live on toast sandwiches, etc. in order to afford the hardware to best it. It's ... weird.

The fact is that it's going to be a very long time before a PC is able to best the PS5 in the entire IO pipeline, despite what some might say by simply looking at SSD read speeds.

sircaw

Banned
What's the issue with the moderation here on the forum?

Deleting posts that are 100% factual.
But yeah if you stay the stock market will either go up or go down it's disgenious, because it could also be halted.

Nice job in a speculation topic.

So here is the post again:
PS5 will either rarely hit 2.23GHz under load or Sony invested heavily in a wider design to make those frequencies possible which is now proven with the confirmed RTX 3000 clock and big Navi.

PS5 is the only HPC expectation going for those clocks out of the box and they have to pay for it, or it's just a marketing bullet point. Magic does not exist in that business. It's all laws of physics.

Fuck censorship

Make sure you got your ducks in a row, there are some pretty clued up people in here that work/associated in the fields you are talking about.

Just saying.

"awkward silence"

The IGN video got updated 2016, the article of the xbone e3 2013 show got updated 2016. Care to explain, why IGN updates a 3 year old by then article?

applause equals now audible groan after price announcement, awkward silence, you could listen a coin drop? Huh?

..yet saudumm, nikotin, this new dude with an alt created the 17th. of august 2020 trying to tell you that there was an applause. There was no applause.

Just so I am clear ... when the price is revealed, there is no reaction, and you can see Phil react as a result (sucking in with his lips). After this, some applause starts. Now, are you saying that there was no applause at all? Zero, no reaction. Or are you just referring to the initial moment after the reveal?

If right at the moment Phil mentions the price, yes there was no applause. However, after some time (he waited) a ripple started.

The booing etc was added in after the fact (it was directly lifted from another video as previously posted). You keep posting it wasn't, but offer no explanation for the audio being exactly the same as the other video.

Last edited:

geordiemp

The liquid cooling overclock tests were at 2.300Ghz, with a lock to ensure that when amd card spiked down (regular problem even if not overclocked), it would never fall below 2050.
I think maybe you were not here at the time I posted that. here's a link for my post, and two post below that is a link to the test:

Yeah thats nice, so RDNA1 was good to 2.1 Ghz going by the graphics strike increasing roughly 4 % every 100 Mhz and is quite linear for rDNA1. No surprise the performance above that was poor.

So 2.23 sounds about right for performance for RDNA2 if TSMC improvements gen2 are likley correct. Who would of guessed ...

Of course, for every % TF increase you dont get a direct % performance whether its CU number or clocks.

Last edited:

Saudumm

Correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't update an already uploaded YouTube Video. You'd have to upload a whole new video with a new upload date etc. But the videos from IGN, Gamespot and the streamer I linked to where uploaded in 2013 after the Microsoft press conference.

And why the hell would Microsoft demand an update to multiple videos and articles three years later?

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I can understand why the person is saying ethics in regard to this comp.

Something about this, just does not feel right.

It does feel rather manufactured, i am sure you can see that.
I can mostly see a lot of fanboys being salty over something that just doesn't matter. Oh no, Gamescom gave Xbox an award, a show that only fans watch who already now everything about every system.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

"awkward silence"

It could've been updated because of a copyright claim though even moreso considering how youtube went berserk with copyright around that time.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!

"awkward silence"

All you have to do is explain how the audio is identical to the EA part of show. Which you still conveniently ignore. Along with the plethora of other videos that were uploaded proving your hot take on this is ignorant.

sojuwarrior

Let's put some perspective.

▼ 2013 PS4 technical demo of a head without a backgorund on 1.8TF hardware ▼
1cNK.gif

▼ NaughtyDog Game in 2019 on the same hardware (non-pro) ▼
tumblr_pycztbt6nr1tbvyo3o3_500.gifv

tenor.gif

ellietlousmallb7kz6.gif

▼ Game in development for PS5 for 2021 on 10.28TF hardware ▼
55cafa3b1e3f11cdc4aaa9d7be1c6338d5d7d821.gifv

▼ NaughtyDog game in 2026 for that new hardware ▼
giphy.gif

giphy.gif
I rmb being impressed with that "old man" model back then but now thats achievable in pretty much every game.
honestly cannot wait to see what the new gen can do

Yeah thats nice, so RDNA1 was good to almost 2.1 Ghz going by the graphics stgrike increasing roughly 4 % every 100 Mhz.

So 2.23 sounds about right for performance for RDNA2. Would would of guessed ...

Of course, for every % TF increase you dont get a direct % performance whether its CU number or clocks.
to put it better, pushing it from 2100 to 2300 did nothing. and this was on liquid cooling.
well, not nothing, it pushed consumption to god (>40% up), and this also translates to very high rise in temperatures.

no matter how we put it, whatever ps5 has for thermals it will be much less efficient than a good PC liquid cooling block.
and judging from playstation recent history.... they really must do a real breakthrough here on cooling/consumption/heat QA.
like 2 or 3 generation leaps from their very recent past.
maybe now you will understand better why I keep saying that I want a stripdown and hands on for ps5. that I dont care much for the power difference between ps5 - xbox, but I care very much on how my ps5 will operate.

sircaw

Banned
I can mostly see a lot of fanboys being salty over something that just doesn't matter. Oh no, Gamescom gave Xbox an award, a show that only fans watch who already now everything about every system.

Come on man it's more than that, surely you can see that.

It's a token reward, If PlayStation got the same award, competing against such a lame arse field i would say the same.

This feels so manufactured, its insulting, its one of those reviews that you stick on a box for people to look at,

You know the type when they try to fluff up a bad movie. 10/10 The greatest movie i have ever seen, (The daily mail)

Don't bother with him I made a more than 10 points arguments and he tried to answer 2 of them and missed the point both times...
The thing is he wants facts over a bias ...we showed fact that he was skewed heavily toward Xbox and PC but those aren't biased facts because they are all piece of opinion disguised as an analysis.Unless he comes out and litteraly says "yeah fuck sony" there's no fact and even there it can be interpreted as a lies.
But we have evidence of double standards and a severe difference of treatment.Not even counting lies and bullshit.
It all depends on his stamina and pressure capacity. He will eventually fuck it up 🤣.
My life is full of experiences with this type of people

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Come on man it's more than that, surely you can see that.

It's a token reward, If PlayStation got the same award, competing against such a lame arse field i would say the same.

This feels so manufactured, its insulting, its one of those reviews that you stick on a box for people to look at,

You know the type when they try to fluff up a bad movie. 10/10 The greatest movie i have ever seen, (The daily mail)
Again, this award has no value, and honestly it's a bit weird that you think it's manufactured. If Sony doesn't apply for the award by following the procedures, one of which is apparently give us the console, well then you don't compete.

On the one hand you say it's an empty review, but at the same time you care about it. I would ignore it, because really who cares about a gamescom award?

CrysisFreak

Banned
That's something I find a bit odd about the PCMR. They hear that some console has better IO or whatever than their current SSD, so they'll remortgage their house, sell their car, live on toast sandwiches, etc. in order to afford the hardware to best it. It's ... weird.

The fact is that it's going to be a very long time before a PC is able to best the PS5 in the entire IO pipeline, despite what some might say by simply looking at SSD read speeds.
Not all of them but the ones we're referring to are not the laid-back happy-friendly pro-consumer games4all real Gs they pretend to be hahaha

sircaw

Banned
Again, this award has no value, and honestly it's a bit weird that you think it's manufactured. If Sony doesn't apply for the award by following the procedures, one of which is apparently give us the console, well then you don't compete.

On the one hand you say it's an empty review, but at the same time you care about it. I would ignore it, because really who cares about a gamescom award?

Awards always have value, saying they don't is simply wrong. As a purchasing consumer, people like to see little stars on things. It helps drive/dictate their purchasing choice more than you know.

kyliethicc

Looks legitimate
PS5 is bigger than PS3. The box makes sense.
Also, there is a bit of creativity there that makes feel real. The box is not full box and wavy design shape like the ones from the reveal trailer.
Its the fakest looking lazy photoshop I've ever seen.

If you think that's real then here, I'll show you a big leak...

Get ready guys, here's the PSVR2 box! I alone have the very first one.

Rier93k.jpg

Last edited:

LucidFlux

There is nothing out of the ordinary for a company to pay for a meaningless "award" like this and pat themselves on the back. My company does it. Celebrities do it for their stars on the Hollywood walk of fame and this is no different.

Last edited:

SlimySnake was right you do talk complete shit

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
7nm the fab in South Korea.
No it's not Samsung
PC RDNA2 is running below 2k
What which clock PC RDNA2 with 36CUs is running?

Because number of CUs direct affect how you can go in clock for a chip.

BTW RDNA already works over 2Ghz with good cooling and RDNA2 seems to be in a new process with improvements in that area.

And there is nothing official about RDNA2 PC cards... sorry to break your bubble.

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Did you experience the "death wobble" ?

I am very much looking to import one in the NL, its funny because here owning a car is very expensive but for big trucks like these you can register them as utility vehicles and they cost much less than a normal car.

Sorry for the off-topic :D

I havent had death wobble in this Gladiator but did get it from time to time in the 2016 Wrangler I traded on this

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
Or, this is like Vegeta winning the Martial Arts Tournament because Goku didn't bother to attend.

The award is meaningless in such an occasion.
Yep or like MR Satan paying C18 to make it look like he won....

Edit: for those that can"t understand it was a joke...I have to when DBZ lore is referenced.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Awards always have value, saying they don't is simply wrong. As a purchasing consumer, people like to see little stars on things. It helps drive/dictate their purchasing choice more than you know.
Yeah this is going to change the general publics' opinion, and XSX is going to outsell the PS5 now "pie_tears_joy:

Or, this is like Vegeta winning the Martial Arts Tournament because Goku didn't bother to attend.

The award is meaningless in such an occasion.
The award was already meaningless, but if you need to tell yourself that they only won because Sony didn't participate, then sure. Whatever makes you sleep at night ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom