• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

FranXico

you're right. it seems my fears were correct either MS was forced to use vega and/or phil was forced to put server compute64 crap on the silicon. to me its another fuck up.

as always the initial repot is always correct.
Where are you drawing these conclusions from?
The consoles are still close in power, it won't have any major consequences.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Wrong it's what everyone been pointing too except fanboys lol ps5 is more powerful with better RT but both consoles are powerful and Microsoft software output looks better/good.

BTW Osiris has been reliable in the past 😁

initial reports also said that ps5 was stronger. the rumors early on said that phil was not allowed to create a for loss system and was forced to put compute64 on the chip so it doubles as a server blade. they also thought ps5 would go the same route. once again MS is trying to play chess against sony and losing hard. this is a disaster.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Where are you drawing these conclusions from?
The consoles are still close in power, it won't have any major consequences.

ofcourse not. but the perception of power is more important than actual power. when the excel sheets come out and we see ps5 is more powerful and word of mouth spreads again that the ps5 is more powerful it's another PR disaster.

Gamernyc78

Banned
initial reports also said that ps5 was stronger. the rumors early on said that phil was not allowed to create a for loss system and was forced to put compute64 on the chip so it doubles as a server blade. they also thought ps5 would go the same route. once again MS is trying to play chess against sony and losing hard. this is a disaster.

Idk about disaster bcus although it points to next box being weaker than ps5 thy are both still bringing powerful consoles forward and the gap won't be tht big, plus we heard Microsoft has some great software planned for next box. I'm now actually interested in Xbox again..

OsirisBlack

Banned
Same guy who talked about a 5.5 tflop pro. Seems to be a Sony fanboy, trying to sound cryptic like cboat. Knows nothing lol, if he knew he be even more shook. Keep your eyes peeled this week and make sure you take the anaconda info with open arms like most are here taking orisis blacks info.
Excuse me good sir I am a Nintendo fanboy thank you very much.

Edited to add: Publicly thanked Phil Spencer but no one caught on to that /shrugs.

Last edited:

TeamGhobad

Banned
Idk about disaster bcus although it points to next box being weaker than ps5 thy are both still bringing powerful consoles forward and the gap won't be tht big, plus we heard Microsoft has some great software planned for next box. I'm now actually interested in Xbox again..

for the filthy casuals it matters. word of mouth spreads MS has lost again. Isn't Sony going bankrupt and MS is a trillion dollar company? and you can't make a fucking console that is more powerful? that is fucking pathetic. MS should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Gamernyc78

Banned
for the filthy casuals it matters. word of mouth spreads MS has lost again. Isn't Sony going bankrupt and MS is a trillion dollar company? and you can't make a fucking console that is more powerful? that is fucking pathetic. MS should be fucking ashamed of themselves.

Sony bankrupt🤔 no their profit margins are in the up and up and their gaming division pulled in way more profit than Xbox did. Xbox can be a gazillion dollar company but tht has no bearing on their gaming division having its own budgets, boundaries, etc which I'm sure isn't up there with Sony's since Sony has been pulling in more money. Business doesn't work how some ppl think their parent company isn't an unlimited source of income. Investors don't go for tht bs.

Gamernyc78

Banned

Edited to add: Publicly thanked Phil Spencer but no one caught on to that /shrugs.

I caught on to it lol just didn't make much of it. Based on few things u got right in the past I'm sure u are in the know somehow, obviously with some personal connections.

PocoJoe

Banned
I know certain fans of certain company on certain forum are up in arms regarding Lockhart news, but I always saw Lockhart as very logical step for MS (and Sony).

Having two consoles, A and B, that share the same CPU, same SSD, same GPU tech, one having 2-3x more TFLOPs, but also playing games on considerably higher resolution, is smart.

I imagine they will position them like this :

Anaconda and PS5 4k top specs - 499$

Lockhart entry level next gen - 1080p/1440p, weaker GPU and no disc drive - 299/349$

BAM!!!Thats damn good strat. Anaconda and PS5 play games at 4K high settings, Lockhart plays them at medium in 1440p.

MS will also make Xcloud farm of Lockhart consoles as resolution for streaming is not required to be anything more then 1440p, so perfect oportunity to put thousands upon thousands of discless Lockharts on cloud.

10/10. As Phil implied the other day, they wont be beaten on specs nor price so Lockhart makes complete sense.

You forgot one thing.

Having slow ass console as baseline makes this much more difficult:

Have only one super powerful console gives you more or less room of choices

A) make 4k med details game
B) make 1080-1440p ultra details game
C) make the same game have 4k med or 1080p ultra/higher hertz

With slow+fast one they have to think that slowest version too, so either they make only medium 4k + medium 1080p ones or also make one 1080p with ultra

And devs have limited time/budget = what will we get?

Just having that slow system with less ram as baseline probably gives worse results than only one SKU

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Oh god thats even worse.
Friendship ended with OrisisBlack.

Looks like the biggest loser next gen will be your wallet :messenger_tears_of_joy:
Well, Phil reviving the Lockhart might actually convince Sony to take an even bigger loss and launch at a much more affordable price than $499. It might be exactly what Microsoft wants, but a $249-299 Lockhart might backfire on MS because Sony just might say fuck it and launch at $399.

They make $12 billion in revenue from the digital store anyway. More than nintendo and MS combined. They cant afford to lose $100+ on a console, but they also cant afford to lose $12 billion in what is essentially free revenue either. investors wont like smaller profits but they wont like sony conceding to MS on price either.

Your wallet should be fine thanks to MS forcing Sony's hand.

44alltheway

Oh god thats even worse.
Friendship ended with OrisisBlack.

Well, Phil reviving the Lockhart might actually convince Sony to take an even bigger loss and launch at a much more affordable price than $499. It might be exactly what Microsoft wants, but a $249-299 Lockhart might backfire on MS because Sony just might say fuck it and launch at $399.

They make $12 billion in revenue from the digital store anyway. More than nintendo and MS combined. They cant afford to lose $100+ on a console, but they also cant afford to lose $12 billion in what is essentially free revenue either. investors wont like smaller profits but they wont like sony conceding to MS on price either.

Your wallet should be fine thanks to MS forcing Sony's hand.
I doubt this happens. anaconda and PS5 are both at 500$ is my guess. I'm still not sold on PS5 being stronger, it just doesn't make sense for Microsoft to make two consoles and have both of them be weaker (albeit, the anaconda and PS5 are supposed to be very similar).

Last edited:
Osirisblack, how did you come up with 880GB/s? Because leaked Gonzalo/Oberon/Ariel benchmarks clearly show 256bit bus, therefore speed of memory to achieve such BW would have to be almost DOUBLE the fastest currentl available chips from Samsung, not yet in mass production (18Gbps).

Still standing by my ~9TF number, with VRS and RT this should easily result in 30-50% increase in performance over standard Navi XT.

So yea, insiders, you guys are wrong.

For PS5

16GB on 256bit bus and downclocked 18Gbps chips (~530GB/s)
36CU Navi with RT at 1.7-18Ghz (~8.5TF) and VRS
Zen2 with 1/4 of cache
RT hardware

For MS same shit, but 320bit bus and lower clocked memory. More CUs, lower clocks.

Why would MS go from a 352-bit bus on X to a 320-bit bus on Scarlet? That would be seen as an overall reduction on their end. And I don't think Sony will settle with just 256-bit bus. Both of them will very much likely go for 384-bit bus.

FranXico

LOL that's not gonna happen.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Just make sure when you are incorrect with all the riddles and stuff you own up. I can assure you, you know nothing on anaconda. Im showing your posts to a beevy of ppl and we are laughing. Take care cboat 2.0 😂
Matter.

Osiris brings nothing new to the table. The situation was the same when he was called out for that before.

Can't really see why people are reading his word like the Bible. Boredom, I suppose.
I mean I could blow everything up, post a few pictures four months too early, send one company into a complete panic and get two people fired.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just make sure when you are incorrect with all the riddles and stuff you own up. I can assure you, you know nothing on anaconda. Im showing your posts to a beevy of ppl and we are laughing. Take care cboat 2.0 😂
what do you know about anaconda?

and Orisis was the first to leak the PS4 Pro right here on this forum. He said it was 2x more powerful which is true.

And last year he gave the clockspeeds of the cpu 3.2 ghz and the gpu 2.1 ghz. Thats extremely close to the oberon clockspeed which is rumored to be 2 ghz. He's been wrong before on some things but plans change. You of all people should know that because your emperor shelved the lockhart before reviving it last week.

Now that we have proven he's been the original leaker of both the Pro and PS5 specs, What have you leaked?

SlimySnake

I doubt this happens. anaconda and PS5 are both at 500$ is my guess. I'm still not sold on PS5 being stronger, it just doesn't make sense for Microsoft to make two consoles and have both of them be weaker (albeit, the anaconda and PS5 are supposed to be very similar).
we getting SSD, RT hardware, and apparently 12+ tflops consoles. Not to mention a 4 tflops console that makes no sense whatsoever. anything can happen.

i was just talking in terms of what makes business sense. Would Sony allow a console to be sold for $200-250 less than them? i just dont see it. especially when there are billions on the line. they make $3 billion in profit every quarter. a $100 loss would cost them $1.5 million for the whole year. they can even absorb a $200 loss per unit which will be $3 billion. if they give up a large chunk of the base, they will lose the 30% revenue they get from every sale on PSN. how do you justify that to your investors?

Well, here it is:

Regarding speeds:
cf60a17f19368f61eddb7d5cf185480e20190212183814.png

Neatos; this'd also confirm they have the chips running at 1250MHz if they go for 352-bit bus for 880 GB/s. Micron has chips at those speeds, but not at 20Gbps. Maybe they're getting first dibs on Samsung 20Gbps chips?

384 bit bus uses considerably more space on die as well as more watts. So you would either go with 384 bit bus and low speed memory (for whatever the reason) or 256bit bus and very fast memory.

In 2nd case you would save space on die, but you would have higher clocked chips. In first case you would probably spend too much space on die just to use low clocked chips.

IMO either 320bit bus and 14-16Gbps chips or 256bit bus and downclocked 18Gbps chips.

384 and OVEROCLOCKED 18Gbps chips seems like stupidest idea ever (which can only be found with fake insiders).

320-bit bus or (I guess) even 256-bit buses could work, but if the rumored bandwidth is 880 GB/s or something around that level, well the easiest way to hit that is with a 352-bit bus and using 1250MHz 20Gbps chips. But AFAIK, no one has 20Gbps chips publicly revealed yet. Some of Micron's chips can be overclocked fairly well on certain GPUs but that likely isn't a truly comparable thing to consoles given all the design and target differences.

Question is would 640 GB/s (1GHz chips) or especially 576 GB/s (1.25GHz chips) be satisfactory for devs next-gen especially if no mid-gen refreshes are planned? For reference the X has a bandwidth of 326 GB/s.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

Given the most recent events involving insiders, I'm just not willing to jump on anybody else's train at this time. Especially when it all sounds like the exact same thing we've heard before.

The reality is still clear. It would be impossible for them to really know what's really going on without having an actual seat at the same table with Phil, Mark and the rest of their teams.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Just make it clear when you drop these bits of news that none of it is official and that it all could change.

Maybe you can enlighten us about Anaconda?

what do you know about anaconda?

and Orisis was the first to leak the PS4 Pro right here on this forum. He said it was 2x more powerful which is true.

And last year he gave the clockspeeds of the cpu 3.2 ghz and the gpu 2.1 ghz. Thats extremely close to the oberon clockspeed which is rumored to be 2 ghz. He's been wrong before on some things but plans change. You of all people should know that because your emperor shelved the lockhart before reviving it last week.

Now that we have proven he's been the original leaker of both the Pro and PS5 specs, What have you leaked?
I want competition everywhere, including insiders.

OsirisBlack gave us some tidbits, it's silly for people to dismiss him, unless they can provide more/better info... maybe the naysayers are not insiders to begin with.

Some people are butthurt their lowballing agenda is at stake, I say deal with it.

we getting SSD, RT hardware, and apparently 12+ tflops consoles. Not to mention a 4 tflops console that makes no sense whatsoever. anything can happen.

i was just talking in terms of what makes business sense. Would Sony allow a console to be sold for $200-250 less than them? i just dont see it. especially when there are billions on the line. they make $3 billion in profit every quarter. a $100 loss would cost them $1.5 million for the whole year. they can even absorb a $200 loss per unit which will be $3 billion. if they give up a large chunk of the base, they will lose the 30% revenue they get from every sale on PSN. how do you justify that to your investors?
PS3 had a bigger loss ($300 per unit) and they didn't even have PSN/services back then...

Not to mention the OtherOS/Linux feature and people buying truckloads of PS3s to build supercomputers funded by Sony shareholders.

Funding a proprietary/gaming-focused platform makes sense, especially these days. I expect $600 BoM with a $100 loss, but it wouldn't surprise me if Lockhart forced them to take a $200 loss per unit.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Given the most recent events involving insiders, I'm just not willing to jump on anybody else's train at this time. Especially when it all sounds like the exact same thing we've heard before.

The reality is still clear. It would be impossible for them to really know what's really going on without having an actual seat at the same table with Phil, Mark and the rest of their teams.

And there's nothing wrong with that. Just make it clear when you drop these bits of news that none of it is official and that it all could change.
Some things could change nothing is fully official until MS or Sony say so and nothing is locked in until the machines are being pushed off the line.

I may have just fucked up with my last hint. Had a misunderstanding with a source. Info is correct I wasn't supposed to post it. Narrows things down a bit too much for their taste. So.... gotta go =(

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom