• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

R600

Banned
Osirisblack, how did you come up with 880GB/s? Because leaked Gonzalo/Oberon/Ariel benchmarks clearly show 256bit bus, therefore speed of memory to achieve such BW would have to be almost DOUBLE the fastest currentl available chips from Samsung, not yet in mass production (18Gbps).

Still standing by my ~9TF number, with VRS and RT this should easily result in 30-50% increase in performance over standard Navi XT.

So yea, insiders, you guys are wrong.

For PS5

16GB on 256bit bus and downclocked 18Gbps chips (~530GB/s)
36CU Navi with RT at 1.7-18Ghz (~8.5TF) and VRS
Zen2 with 1/4 of cache
RT hardware

For MS same shit, but 320bit bus and lower clocked memory. More CUs, lower clocks.

Last edited:
That doesn't add up. Even 24GB 18Gbps GDDR6 on a 384-bit controller would yield 864GB.
Well, here it is:

Regarding speeds:
cf60a17f19368f61eddb7d5cf185480e20190212183814.png

vpance

Last edited:

R600

Banned
Sure theoretically. I only said 18Gbps because they were announced by Samsung but still don't officially exist. My guess on BW would be between 512GB-576GB max looking at that table.
Samsung chips exist but not for mass market. I also doubt 18Gbps would not be downclocked as is the case always.

Per Flute benchmark :

1) 16 chips total BW of 530GB/s, therefore must be downclocked 18Gbps chips

2) Zen2 with 8 cores and 1/4th of the cache

Funny thing about Flute leak is code matching with Ariel (which is now all but confirmed PS5 GPU codename) and well, Ariel being part of Gonzalo.

Gonzalo, Flute and Ariel being all part of Shakespeare as well as...wait for it...PROSPERO.

Prospero, Gonzalo, Ariel and Flute are all part of Shakespear writings.

Gonzalo, Ariel and Flute are all connected through benchmark codenames, while Prospero is codename for PS5 system as per several insiders.

This was similar case with PS4 and codenames such as Liverpool, Starsha, Thebe and in the end full system codename - Orbis.

I would advise people not to hold onto insiders and specific numbers because this could be game of chinese whisper. Them getting info (oh yea its comparable to more then 10TF), while 8-9TF Navi 2 with VRS, further design improvements and RT is EASILY better then 10TF Navi XT.

(Current benchmarks for VRS show 57% increase in performance. Thats huge).

R600

Banned
No wonder MS needed go plan B Lockhart. Spanked on hardware again
Wasnt Lockhart plan A. As in, this will be cheapest entry into next gen and for good measure we will provide premium console with most power as well?

I thought entire "Lockhart was scrapped" thing was seen as MS not having perf edge with Anaconda therefore there is no point to Lockhart?

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Osirisblack, how did you come up with 880GB/s? Because leaked Gonzalo/Oberon/Ariel benchmarks clearly show 256bit bus, therefore speed of memory to achieve such BW would have to be almost DOUBLE the fastest currentl available chips from Samsung, not yet in mass production (18Gbps).

Still standing by my ~9TF number, with VRS and RT this should easily result in 30-50% increase in performance over standard Navi XT.

For PS5

Zen2 with 1/4 of cache
RT hardware

For MS same shit, but 320bit bus and lower clocked memory. More CUs, lower clocks.
his original leak was likely outdated. it used 18 gb gddr5, not 6 and a gpu clock of 1.12 ghz which matches the first gonzalo leak but again, likely very outdated.

its possible the first devkits that went out were still using the first gonzalo chip and gddr5.

i wouldnt put too much stock into it. he later changed the gpu info to 2.1 ghz so who knows whats going on here.

R600

Banned
his original leak was likely outdated. it used 18 gb gddr5, not 6 and a gpu clock of 1.12 ghz which matches the first gonzalo leak but again, likely very outdated.

its possible the first devkits that went out were still using the first gonzalo chip and gddr5.

i wouldnt put too much stock into it. he later changed the gpu info to 2.1 ghz so who knows whats going on here.
Issue with 880GB/s is that its frankly impossible target.

Other then that, if someone has info on :

1) 1st and 3rd party game development for next 2-3 years
2) Specific info such as BW of sys, number of TFs and RT capabilites for BOTH consoles 2 years from launch
3) Cost of console, date of conference and list of games which will ne shown therr

...he is probably full of shit.

This is why you have DF believing in codename dumps, dev kit PCB leak (which does not tell you anything bar what is found on motherboard, and could be visible to manufacturers of dev kits) and not guys that know where GTA6 is set to what will be served as apetizer on Sonys PS5 conference 2 years from the leak. Its impossible to know that info.

I remember something about 880GB/s, but not sure.

880 GB would hint at a 384-bit bus at the very least, which is very reasonable. Can't quite figure out the Gbps and clocks tho; depending on their cooling solution they'd probably go with lower-clocked chips with 16Gbps.

1150MHz 16Gbps 12 chips gives 883.2 GB/s which is close. 1146MHz (odd clock I guess), 16Gbps, 12 chips give 880.128 GB/s. 880 GB/s doesn't seem like a conventional number to hit on a 384-bit bus (or I'm overthinking some of this, that's also possible).

I know Micron has 1.25Ghz chips at 14Gbps, x12 of those would give 840 GB/s bandwidth on a 384-bit bus. Sony is probably using Samsung and Samsung has 2Ghz 16Gbps chips, but they are also going to be much more expensive than a 1.25Ghz 14Gbps chip, especially if they are going for 2GB capacities.

Last edited:

R600

Banned
880 GB would hint at a 384-bit bus at the very least, which is very reasonable. Can't quite figure out the Gbps and clocks tho; depending on their cooling solution they'd probably go with lower-clocked chips with 16Gbps.

1150MHz 16Gbps 12 chips gives 883.2 GB/s which is close. 1146MHz (odd clock I guess), 16Gbps, 12 chips give 880.128 GB/s. 880 GB/s doesn't seem like a conventional number to hit on a 384-bit bus (or I'm overthinking some of this, that's also possible).
384 bit bus uses considerably more space on die as well as more watts. So you would either go with 384 bit bus and low speed memory (for whatever the reason) or 256bit bus and very fast memory.

In 2nd case you would save space on die, but you would have higher clocked chips. In first case you would probably spend too much space on die just to use low clocked chips.

IMO either 320bit bus and 14-16Gbps chips or 256bit bus and downclocked 18Gbps chips.

384 and OVEROCLOCKED 18Gbps chips seems like stupidest idea ever (which can only be found with fake insiders).

Gamernyc78

Banned
That's wild. So Sony has a better RT solution than MS? That's kind of a shocker tbh.

Idk why tht would be a shocker. I always figured as much. Sony has been creating consoles way longer than Microsoft and have Cerny at the helm. I always thought Microsoft would come with some dx bs software RT since thy push dx hard but I'm glad thy are both pushing hardware based RT.

Last edited:

vpance

Wasnt Lockhart plan A. As in, this will be cheapest entry into next gen and for good measure we will provide premium console with most power as well?

I thought entire "Lockhart was scrapped" thing was seen as MS not having perf edge with Anaconda therefore there is no point to Lockhart?

Dude it's time to come to terms that these insiders know something. All the Shakespeare shit is very outdated at this point.

Scrapping Lockhart makes sense if they thought they were hanging in race or winning it. No need to complicate the plan with 2 SKUs and especially since devs don't like it. It's very much a plan B, gum it all up for everyone move now that 5 > 2 is evident.

onQ123

For PS5

Zen2 with 1/4 of cache
RT hardware

Oberon has at least 40 CUs because 40CUs is for BC with PS4 Pro

R600

Banned
Dude it's time to come to terms that these insiders know something. All the Shakespeare shit is very outdated at this point.

Scrapping Lockhart makes sense if they thought they were hanging in race or winning it. No need to complicate the plan with 2 SKUs and especially since devs don't like it. It's very much a plan B, gum it all up for everyone move now that 5 > 2 is evident.
Which insiders? Osirisblack? The guy that knows :

1) State of GTA6 development
2) Date of Sonys PS5 press conference
3) BW/TF and RT data

Now, who would know such info? How high up would this person have to be? And if he is actually GameStop employee, do you really think he would be privy of that info? And if he somehow was, you think thousands others wouldnt be? Why has nothing leaked up until now, 10 months from their launch?

Its BS and cryptic messages are just insiders feeding you with more BS. Tom Warren is privy of HIGHEST MS info yet he posted shit about Arcturus, 12TF etc.

Klee, Matt and the guys? These are even worse. Dont listen to them. If they had info, much more people would have it.

Alot of you dont remember where Thebe, Liverpool, Orbis and first info on this gen consoles came from. It was from guy on NeoGaf who had that info in 2012, because his room mate worked in AMD at the time and shared it with everyone. Few years after the fact, few people where taken to court duo to this.

So, these leaks are much more different then what Osirisblack, Klee and co are providing.

Maybe because Sony funded Navi R&D?

I can't see that being true. AMD doesn't need Sony's funding now that Ryzen is successful.

Idk why tht would be a shocker. I always figured as much. Sony has been creating consoles way longer than Microsoft and have Cerny at the helm. I always thought Microsoft would come with some dx bs software RT since thy push dx hard but I'm glad thy are both pushing hardware based RT.

With all the work MS has done with NVIDIA and AMD on the PC side it just always made sense to me. But who knows what the ultimate console vision was and how features impacted the outcome. Can't wait to see these games OsirisBlack OsirisBlack

I can't see that being true. AMD doesn't need Sony's funding now that Ryzen is successful.
Now?

Navi R&D started long time ago:

It's kinda reminiscent of Cell R&D, where Sony got the full package, while MS only got the PPE core with zero SPUs.

R600

Banned
Now?

Navi R&D started long time ago:

It's kinda reminiscent of Cell R&D, where Sony got the full package, while MS only got the PPE core with zero SPUs.
Not really. PPU was IBM IP and had nothing to do with Sony.

SPEs and Cell where Sony/IBM/Toshiba designed and thats why MS couldnt use it (they didnt even know about it).

Navi being developed by Sony for last 12 month meant MS will use GCN, but seems it was BS all along. In this day and age, what can Sony provide to AMD as far as new GPU tech dev is concerned? Nothing. What would even be a point in helping AMD? Its their IP, so Sony would foot the bill so that AMD can expand its business and give it to MS? Lol

44alltheway

Same guy who talked about a 5.5 tflop pro. Seems to be a Sony fanboy, trying to sound cryptic like cboat. Knows nothing lol, if he knew he be even more shook. Keep your eyes peeled this week and make sure you take the anaconda info with open arms like most are here taking orisis blacks info.
oof

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Same guy who talked about a 5.5 tflop pro. Seems to be a Sony fanboy, trying to sound cryptic like cboat. Knows nothing lol, if he knew he be even more shook. Keep your eyes peeled this week and make sure you take the anaconda info with open arms like most are here taking orisis blacks info.

Calls someone a fan boy, name checks out.

If I recall even though he had the number wrong on the Pro he was talking about said Pro before anyone else and most here laughed at him then too.

MadAnon

I'm taking all this insider info with huge grain of salt. Only thing clear is that there are APUs with Shakespearean codenames out there, and the benchmark data suggested opposite to what these insiders are telling about 11+TF consoles outperforming rtx 2080 and so on.

Last edited:
Calls someone a fan boy, name checks out.

If I recall even though he had the number wrong on the Pro he was talking about said Pro before anyone else and most here laughed at him then too.
OsirisBlack OsirisBlack had said that Sony had 2 possible SKUs for Pro: 1) $399/Jaguar-based, 2) $499/Zen-based.

The 2nd one was cancelled, but it also probably became a proto-PS5. Cerny has said that PS5 R&D started back in 2015 and we know for a fact that PS4 Pro was a test bed for future technologies. It all adds up IMHO, so I wouldn't discredit him.

ANIMAL1975

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
OsirisBlack OsirisBlack had said that Sony had 2 possible SKUs for Pro: 1) $399/Jaguar-based, 2) $499/Zen-based.

The 2nd one was cancelled, but it also probably became a proto-PS5. Cerny has said that PS5 R&D started back in 2015 and we know for a fact that PS4 Pro was a test bed for future technologies. It all adds up IMHO, so I wouldn't discredit him.

I wasnt trying to discredit Osiris I was finding it amusing someone named Xcloud was calling someone else a fan boy.

TeamGhobad

Banned
Where do you see this?

you're right. it seems my fears were correct either MS was forced to use vega and/or phil was forced to put server compute64 crap on the silicon. to me its another fuck up.

as always the initial repot is always correct.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom