• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bryank75

Banned
People have this weird assumption that next gen consoles gonna have some powerful, advanced RT solution on par with RTX. RT was clearly a late decision fueled by RTX cards. So I wouldn't expect anything fancy in that department but rather something that just ticks the RT checkbox on feature list.
Yup, I expect the mid-gen refresh to have a more substantial raytracing solution though. It should be the main selling point at that time!

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Yeah I see how u could interpret tht tht way but I think his RT comment was just referencing how both RT implementations aren't on par with PC but we all knew tht would be the case.
Ampere GPUs are going to demolish everyone including their own RTX lineups anyway. Im just glad we are getting RT in consoles. a year ago i wouldve laughed at people suggesting SSDs and ray tracing.

Why are you taking a defensive stance? The Mhz difference can translate into more GPU Teraflops of performance. Don't worry next Xbox will be sufficient for you no matter what.
Sure I guess. But 100Mhz isn’t going to make a whole hell of a difference. But I guess that’s one more tree.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
Ampere GPUs are going to demolish everyone including their own RTX lineups anyway. Im just glad we are getting RT in consoles. a year ago i wouldve laughed at people suggesting SSDs and ray tracing.

I know lol I remember the convos on here ppl were like "no way are we getting hardware based RT" thy assumed it would be some software DX Implementation. I'm happy we are getting it in some competent form. Good times ahead.

Whatever happened to SonGoku?

Last edited:

SNYMA

Neo Member
People have this weird assumption that next gen consoles gonna have some powerful, advanced RT solution on par with RTX. RT was clearly a late decision fueled by RTX cards. So I wouldn't expect anything fancy in that department but rather something that just ticks the RT checkbox on the feature list.
True. In the second wired article an EA representative said they will use RT Shadows and AO, They're considered the cheapest RT techniques according to DF, DF also said that next gen consoles won't have RTX level of performance.

"I could be really specific and talk about experimenting with ambient occlusion techniques, or the examination of ray-traced shadows," says Laura Miele, chief studio officer for EA.

Fake

Are we getting photorealistic environments like in this unreal engine rebirth demo?
Well, we get Death Stranding with have really good photorealistic environments. Not better than this video, but it's a really showcase for PS4 and PRO.
LOL no I was saying where the 8TF rumors came from , people thought it was 8TF because the 1st sample that leaked was clocked low at 1GHz , but the actual chip will be 2.1GHz
In that case sry. My mistake.

Last edited:
They are both very capable and amazing machines first party output is looking ridiculous.

Understandable, but this is gonna make it a harder sell for MS imo; they really needed the power advantage as a marketing bullet point and now they don't have even that. Here's hoping Halo:Infinite is absolutely amazing. Exclusives and service features will matter more now than ever.

OsirisBlack

Banned
Understandable, but this is gonna make it a harder sell for MS imo; they really needed the power advantage as a marketing bullet point and now they don't have even that. Here's hoping Halo:Infinite is absolutely amazing. Exclusives and service features will matter more now than ever.

MS definitely has exclusives planned, I have to steer away from the game side of discussion as that gets pretty specific. (Especially on the MS Side) This wont be a repeat of PS4 >>> XB1 they are both similar just slight advantages and not all of them for 0000FF. Unless they are going to push for 4k everything (they aren't) you really shouldn't notice. (unless you keep your face glued to Richard and co)

RaijinFY

Cannot discuss specific games as that's where shit gets dicey but keep a close eye on From, 343, SSM and the Coalition.

Edited to add: I would like to publicly thank Phil Spencer for being a man of his word.

Do you think mid-gen refresh will happen a couple of years?

44alltheway

So Osiris is saying the ps5 is going to have better raytracing and more floppage?
Any word on Lockhart? Its specs, affect on what first and third party games will look like?

MS definitely has exclusives planned, I have to steer away from the game side of discussion as that gets pretty specific. (Especially on the MS Side) This wont be a repeat of PS4 >>> XB1 they are both similar just slight advantages and not all of them for 0000FF. Unless they are going to push for 4k everything (they aren't) you really shouldn't notice. (unless you keep your face glued to Richard and co)

That's good to hear; I'm not super-obsessed over photorealistic graphics anyway so even some of the things DF were pointing out about possible RT in Halo Infinite, I did not even notice until they pointed them out.

It's ultimately the games that matter and I'm hoping for some nice surprises with these two systems. Maybe even some long-wanted IP revivals, regardless if they're AAA or not.

onQ123

So how many TF do you expect in total?

The missing piece is the number of CUs we only know that it's over 10TF clocked to 2.1GHz & has 40 or more CUs because the PS4 Pro BC

also the rumor that changed the insiders from thinking Scarlett was more powerful to PS5 being more powerful was when people found out that PS5 devkit was close to 13TF

so 10 - 14TF

The missing piece is the number of CUs we only know that it's over 10TF clocked to 2.1GHz & has 40 or more CUs because the PS4 Pro BC

also the rumor that changed the insiders from thinking Scarlett was more powerful to PS5 being more powerful was when people found out that PS5 devkit was close to 13TF

so 10 - 14TF
Fair enough. At least single-digit TF lowballing is dead for good. ;)

44alltheway

any word on if Sony will add first party games to ps now day and date like Gamepass?

OsirisBlack

Banned
確かに言えるのはソフトウェアからであり、マイクロソフトのゲームは絶対に素晴らしいようです。ソニーのラインナップはとても良く、対馬の幽霊はすごいですね。任天堂を忘れないでください。

Gamernyc78

Banned
確かに言えるのはソフトウェアからであり、マイクロソフトのゲームは絶対に素晴らしいようです。ソニーのラインナップはとても良く、対馬の幽霊はすごいですね。任天堂を忘れないでください。

Via Google translate so may not be totally correct translation..

"Certainly it can be said from the software, and Microsoft games seem absolutely amazing. The lineup of Sony is very good and the ghosts of Tsushima are amazing. Do not forget Nintendo"

Good to hear tht Microsoft is going to be outputting some good software from what has been said. Sony with its steady course of good software as well but tht was a given..

Last edited:

Via Google translate so may not be totally correct translation..

Certainly it can be said from the software, and Microsoft games seem absolutely amazing. The lineup of Sony is very good and the ghosts of Tsushima are amazing. Do not forget Nintendo.
How is Nintendo going to catch up with double-digit TF beasts? Let alone the CPU/NVMe SSD...

Gamernyc78

Banned
The hype train is back baby!!! Ima be honest I didn't care much about Microsoft info before and everything is still pointing to ps5 being more powerful but the mention of Microsoft having some gd software planned has me excited as well. Damn I just might get both consoles now lol.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom