• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Probably a year ago or so he was saying he had a write up about what he was told on the PS5 Devkits though I don't recall personally seeing it to see what he had right per what we now know.
thanks. i will dig into his post history.

PS5 slightly more powerful than both consoles from the competition?

Reference to Tempest, in case the 5s aren't obvious enough.

2.1 GHz CPU? Somebody else throw a guess in here.

Nevermind, powers confirmed in the other thread.
to me it read, PS5 > Xbox 2.
2.1 = 5 means Xbox 2.1 = PS5 raw power. So if Xbox is 10 tflops, PS5 is 10% better or 11 tflops. If Xbox is 12 tflops, PS5 will be 10% faster or 13.2 tflops.

I think it means that PS5 is being pushed even more than 2ghz on GPU!? Oberon was 2ghz.

Sounds a bit insane so not sure what to make of this.

Most likely something else.

oh shit, 2.1 GPU would be insane. i didnt even think of that. 56 CU at 2.1 ghz would be 15 tflops. impossible.

yeah, im sticking with my guess.

Last edited:

FranXico

I think it means that PS5 is being pushed even more than 2ghz on GPU!? Oberon was 2ghz.

Sounds a bit insane so not sure what to make of this.

Most likely something else.

2.1 = 5 means Xbox 2.1 = PS5 raw power. So if Xbox is 10 tflops, PS5 is 10% better or 11 tflops. If Xbox is 12 tflops, PS5 will be 10% faster or 13.2 tflops.
Thank you friends.

vpance

2.1 is 5% greater than 2. 2.2 would be 10%

SlimySnake

If they are going with very high frequencies as Oberon suggested then it's nowhere near 56cu. It's a small but fast design.
there are several leakers who said that the PS5 will be using a bigger GPU than the 40 CU 5700. Its very likely that they are using a bigger navi. just how big remains to be seen but im guessing the 5800 would have 60 CUs. If they disable one dual CU in each shader engine, we are looking at 54 CUs. I highly doubt we come under 50 CUs.

The main reason is to own an ecosystem. They make far more money selling third parties than they do selling their own games and to do that they need people purchasing through PSN and to get people there they need exclusives.

This is true but that’s why a platform works so well. You can put your exclusive’s on your platform to Pull third parties to that same platform, it doesn’t have to rely on a single piece of hardware. If people really like PlayStation, like many do, there won’t be a problem attracting third parties to that platform. Between PlayStation 5, streaming, and being on PC, they have an opportunity to hit more than just 100 million people.

Halo literally just sold over 2 million copies in a day on PC. Do you Honestly think that Sony does not want to pull in Extra sales on their games that they spend money on?

SlimySnake

If they are going with very high frequencies as Oberon suggested then it's nowhere near 56cu. It's a small but fast design.
I can only go by what Osiris wrote, and 2.1 is 5% more than 2. Though maybe he was also thinking what you're thinking, lol.
Thank you friends.
sorry to quote you guys again but it seems he did mean 2.1 ghz. here is his post from 2018.

AMD Ryzen cpu custom configuration 3.20 , 7nm Navi gpu 2.1 18gddr5 Is what I heard a while ago. As far as the public announcement It will be soon. I sent this info to a mod a while ago I couldn’t post until something else leaked first. I’ll post everything now that something semi accurate is out there.

3.2 is the cpu clock. 2.1 ghz must be the gpu clock. gddr5 doesnt make much sense though. he did say he heard it a while ago.

actually no need to guess. he confirms they are the clockspeeds.

I’m just waiting on one thing to leak as to not completely burn my source.

Backwards compatibility and uhd blu Ray are givens and not worth posting as those are easy guesses.

The numbers are current clock speeds.

goddamn. this guy predicted 2.1 ghz gpu clocks 10 months before komachi found it.

he also confirmed that ruthentic cookie info was legit. we getting a monster boys.

MadAnon

there are several leakers who said that the PS5 will be using a bigger GPU than the 40 CU 5700. Its very likely that they are using a bigger navi. just how big remains to be seen but im guessing the 5800 would have 60 CUs. If they disable one dual CU in each shader engine, we are looking at 54 CUs. I highly doubt we come under 50 CUs.
Leaks from Chinese forums, or whatever that place is, suggested Oberon is a small chip. They mentioned 300mm but that's most likely a rounded down number. That's 40CUs at most.

Last edited:

bitbydeath

This is true but that’s why a platform works so well. You can put your exclusive’s on your platform to Pull third parties to that same platform, it doesn’t have to rely on a single piece of hardware. If people really like PlayStation, like many do, there won’t be a problem attracting third parties to that platform. Between PlayStation 5, streaming, and being on PC, they have an opportunity to hit more than just 100 million people.

Halo literally just sold over 2 million copies in a day on PC. Do you Honestly think that Sony does not want to pull in Extra sales on their games that they spend money on?

2 million is a drop in the bucket considering they make over 2 billion in software sales each quarter and distributing even PSN itself to PC could lend to jeprodisring it.

It’s a huge risk for a potentially small gain at the end of the day,

SlimySnake

Leaks from Chinese forums, or whatever that place is, suggested Oberon is a small chip. They talked about 300mm but that's most likely a rounded down number.
300mm2 on 7nm+ or 7nm EUV is 360mm2 on 7nm. that should be more than enough to have more than 50 CUs.

I do agree that if its 300mm2 at 7nm, we are looking at a 40 CU GPU.

MadAnon

300mm2 on 7nm+ or 7nm EUV is 360mm2 on 7nm. that should be more than enough to have more than 50 CUs.

I do agree that if its 300mm2 at 7nm, we are looking at a 40 CU GPU.
I'm more thinking about power consumption. 56CUs at 2ghz+ would be way too much for a small console. 5700xt runs well over 200w (more than any previous console as a whole) and hot under full load. 7nm+ would help but not if you add 16 more CUs. It would make it much worse. Vapor chamber isn't gonna cool such monster without turning into jet engine. There's reason why AMD's reference cards run loud and hot.

Last edited:

Gamernyc78

Banned
PS5 slightly more powerful than both consoles from the competition?

Reference to Tempest, in case the 5s aren't obvious enough.

2.1 GHz CPU? Somebody else throw a guess in here.

Nevermind, powers confirmed in the other thread.

OH shit I just noticed it was Osiris. Thanks for trying to break it down, it definitely has meaning coming from him.

onQ123

5 > 2
How's the weather?
2.1 = 5

PS5 is greater than Xbox Two

PS5 GPU clocked to 2.1Ghz

AMD Ryzen cpu custom configuration 3.20 , 7nm Navi gpu 2.1 18gddr5 Is what I heard a while ago. As far as the public announcement It will be soon. I sent this info to a mod a while ago I couldn’t post until something else leaked first. I’ll post everything now that something semi accurate is out there.

OK which number is the correct number for the GPU clock? 2.1Ghz or 1.121Ghz

Guess 2.1GHz was the right one

so is it still 18GB of GDDR5?

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

sorry to quote you guys again but it seems he did mean 2.1 ghz. here is his post from 2018.

3.2 is the cpu clock. 2.1 ghz must be the gpu clock. gddr5 doesnt make much sense though. he did say he heard it a while ago.

actually no need to guess. he confirms they are the clockspeeds.

goddamn. this guy predicted 2.1 ghz gpu clocks 10 months before komachi found it.

he also confirmed that ruthentic cookie info was legit. we getting a monster boys.
You should have been in this thread months ago when he was about to drop a bomb and fell off the map to save his sources. It threw this thread into a panic 😂

Last edited:
  • LOL
Reactions: TLZ

SmokSmog

oz41zj276v241.png

Nope, the platform IS the hardware. Being on PC doesn't get them third party money. That's the flaw in your argument. The benefit of sticking to the console is that they get 30% from all third party studio games, and it does not exist on PC. Diverting games to PC means less people own PS5, it would then mean less people buy third party games on PS5, thus less of the 30% third party payout.

1st party games is not where the money is. 1st party games exist to convince people to fork out money for a console. And once they own it they would more likely to buy a third party game on that console over buying it on Steam. And that means Sony then get their sweet 30% that they would otherwise not get. That's how being a platform holder makes money. If you don't understand that and keep thinking it is about selling 1st party games, you are as confused as Microsoft.

There's NO way they're still using GDDR5, just impossible. We know Scarlet's using GDDR6; even the lower-clocked, lower Gbps GDDR6 outstrips the higher Gbps (and competes strongly with the upper-tier clocked) GDDR5x and especially GDDR5. Plus, that'll put their bandwidth at a pretty low amount even if they go with a 352 or 384-bit bus (I doubt they go 256-bit, and they probably won't go 512-bit).

Other than that, really interesting leaks. I don't think MS is going to stand much a chance if PS5 is more powerful than Scarlet, especially right out of the gate. MS really needs that kind of hook going into next-gen. If Sony surprises them not just in power but also price, well the gen will be over before it even starts, sadly.

Guess we'll see how things continue to shape up over the next few months.

onQ123

There's NO way they're still using GDDR5, just impossible. We know Scarlet's using GDDR6; even the lower-clocked, lower Gbps GDDR6 outstrips the higher Gbps (and competes strongly with the upper-tier clocked) GDDR5x and especially GDDR5. Plus, that'll put their bandwidth at a pretty low amount even if they go with a 352 or 384-bit bus (I doubt they go 256-bit, and they probably won't go 512-bit).

Other than that, really interesting leaks. I don't think MS is going to stand much a chance if PS5 is more powerful than Scarlet, especially right out of the gate. MS really needs that kind of hook going into next-gen. If Sony surprises them not just in power but also price, well the gen will be over before it even starts, sadly.

Is it really impossible?

The money saved on RAM might be the reason PS5 was able to get a better GPU than Scarlett

So what? What does this have to explain or prove? That on the PC you can sell a couple of million copies? Yes. But this is absolutely insignificant and Sony loses much more than it gains. Lay in your head that the PC for Sony is exactly the same competitor as any platform on which multiplatform projects are constantly released. Especially after what Microsoft has done, it is impossible not to consider the PC as a direct competitor. Without exclusives, real exclusives, the PlayStation brand will lose its face and become another faceless Xbox. Remember the days of PS3, what pulled the console out of the deep bottom? Exclusives. Why do you think they don't play a role now? Against the backdrop of semi-PC components in consoles, exclusive games are even more important than ever. Do not compare with Microsoft, because for them the PC is a native platform on which Sony has nothing to do. The only option for Sony to promote the platform, the console and the brand itself is streaming services. Doing multiplatform projects from your internal studios is a big and progressive mistake and not a blessing at all. If Sony wanted to make money, she would release her games on Xbox also. This is not happening. The PC is now again becoming, which is obvious, a fiefdom for Microsoft and Sony is better not to go there. Stop playing with your pet ponies and unicorns.

Mass Shift

Indeed. MS' new aquires would have to make titles so good that gamers would be to emotionally compelled to pick them up in the Euro market. Lol!

North America? Hmmmm, that's a more of a wait and see. Still a lot people here with a soft spot for Xbox.

MaulerX

People are focusing on TF's. Who's slightly ahead in Teraflops will be irrelevant. What will make one console more advanced and capable than the other will come from other areas (CPU, total RAM, bandwidth, Ray-Tracing capabilities, advanced shader engines, OS features). Next few months will be real fun to watch as the dust begins to settle.

TLZ

Banned
People are focusing on TF's. Who's slightly ahead in Teraflops will be irrelevant. What will make one console more advanced and capable than the other will come from other areas (CPU, total RAM, bandwidth, Ray-Tracing capabilities, advanced shader engines, OS features). Next few months will be real fun to watch as the dust begins to settle.
High Tfs and all these would be great.

onQ123

The rumor that said Lockhart was 4TF also said Anaconda was 12TF & that PS5 was 8TF

We know that the clockspeed changed on the sample GPU for the PS5 from 1GHz to 2.1GHz & we now have OsirisBlack saying PS5 is 25% above Scarlett

at 58 CUs PS5 GPU would go from 8.09TF to 15.59TF if the clock go from 1.09GHz to 2.1GHz

12TF + 25% = 15TF

if PS5 is 15TF next gen is going to be crazy

I wouldn't worry, since that was most likely an early PS5 prototype.

Even the 18GB amount is not something set in stone...

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack needs to give us some hints about the CU count. :)

Is it really impossible?

The money saved on RAM might be the reason PS5 was able to get a better GPU than Scarlett

Old and therefore obsolete news.

GTX 1660 SUPER added GDDR6 and it's only $10 more expensive for a massive bandwidth jump:

If nVidia can do it, then who says AMD/Sony cannot?

GDDR5 is not next-gen material. Forget it.

onQ123

I wouldn't worry, since that was most likely an early PS5 prototype.

Even the 18GB amount is not something set in stone...

OsirisBlack OsirisBlack needs to give us some hints about the CU count. :)

Old and therefore obsolete news.

GTX 1660 SUPER added GDDR6 and it's only $10 more expensive for a massive bandwidth jump:

If nVidia can do it, then who says AMD/Sony cannot?

GDDR5 is not next-gen material. Forget it.

I was just replying to someone who said it was impossible,

Logic tells me that even if GDDR5 is cheaper now it still has less room for reduction so it would still be smarter to go with GDDR6.

MadAnon

GDDR6 , Flops 25% above Scarlett

both above 10TFLOPs so if Scarlett is 10TF PS5 is 12.5TF
Except that's not what it means.
One-quarter of the way between red and orange refers to the color called Scarlet. Write scarlet in google and this exact phrase will pop up. It has nothing to do with PS5 being 25% faster.

It simply says FLOPS PS5 > Scarlet

Last edited:

Fake

What? The rumor say both PS5 and Scarlett have two digit TF, so wtf 8TF on PS5?

Besides, last hint from dev saying they're almost identical in hardware.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom