• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darius87

What makes you so sure that this wont happen? Sony makes more money selling games than consoles.
without exclusives ps4 probably would be around 60m right now no exclusives no success for sony and they know that better then anyone.
but i'm not denying that they could release some major games on ps now after sales get staled for longevity.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
All PlayStation exclusives for the next 3 year's will be also developed for ps4.....
tenor.gif

Fake

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

(y)

Some will, some won't. It will depend on the type of game. Smaller scale or indie style multiplayer, I am sure they will do some cross-gen play like they mentioned before. The big hitters, it will be business as usual for Sony, which they have done every gen the past 25 years.

Last edited:
without exclusives ps4 probably would be around 60m right now no exclusives no success for sony and they know that better then anyone.
but i'm not denying that they could release some major games on ps now after sales get staled for longevity.
If they sold 60M consoles and sold 100 Million games and had other services to subscribe to, they'd be better off. Sony wasn't in a great place at the beginning of the generation, clearly they turned it around. But there are ways to make money with less overhead. Subscriptions and Services will allow for that which is why they will be updating their Streaming offering and more than likely come out with a Gamepass-like subscription. Clearly I'm speculating, but that is how gaming will evolve and I think MS is just ahead of the curve at this point regarding that.

But imagine using the PSVR on a PC with their Playstation Launcher, this would boost sales and expand their VR market especially if they are serious about it and they can come in at a good price. Why spend all them dollars in R&D if you only sell to Playstation customers only?

Aaaaaand this is why I was worried about this strategy from the start.

Fake

People love to play dumb for no reason. 'But Smartphones and TVs have different models/configuration'...

Since the first smartphone? Maybe since Game Cube and PS2 era? And Consoles since that era never had this such standart of 'mid/other' models.

Last edited:
Especially if Lockhart is a mobile device.
It's impossible to manufacture a 4TF FP32 mobile device, let alone memory bandwidth starving due to LPDDR.

Ok...doesn't matter. My point still remains. If Lockhart has less RAM (regardless of the amount) than Scarlet, then it will negatively impact the games developed on Scarlet
Less RAM means 1080p assets as a baseline (same as this gen).

Will devs do more effort to make 4K assets for the higher-spec console? Maybe MS wants more games for Game Pass (cheaper assets/less fidelity -> faster development).

Sounds familiar? It's the Nintendo strategy. :)

It's impossible to manufacture a 4TF FP32 mobile device, let alone memory bandwidth starving due to LPDDR.

Less RAM means 1080p assets as a baseline (same as this gen).

Will devs do more effort to make 4K assets for the higher-spec console? Maybe MS wants more games for Game Pass (cheaper assets/less fidelity -> faster development).

Sounds familiar? It's the Nintendo strategy. :)

Don't they build high poly meshes for normal mapping, then scale down? Why would this change for next gen? Reducing the amount of poly's is something that's native in modeling software. Even RDR2 can make poly adjustments, see

Last edited:
Some will, some won't. It will depend on the type of game. Smaller scale or indie style multiplayer, I am sure they will do some cross-gen play like they mentioned before. The big hitters, it will be business as usual for Sony, which they have done every gen the past 25 years.
early next gen games /cross.

Gamernyc78

Banned

This is true for every single console maker. No exclusives, no success which is part of reason Microsoft has faltered besides their early messaging (not yo say thy don't have exclusives its just tht besides Forza the appeal isn't there anymore like before) . Nintendo would be out of business if thy didn't rely on their exclusives. Exclusives definitely matter no matter what ppl say.

Last edited:
Again, I doubt very seriously if MS is going to force any 3rd parties to develop for Lockhart if they don't want to and it's really going to be that much of a problem for developers.
Why would they not?

That's like saying Nintendo is going to abandon their portable 720p baseline mandate and let devs freely make games for docked 1080p users... that would kill Switch Lite in an instant.

The premise of Lockhart is to be able to run games at 1080p60, something that even XB1X cannot do in every single game. They're most likely going to stick to the OG XB1 baseline, if their narrative is anything to go by.

Mass Shift

Why would they not?

That's like saying Nintendo is going to abandon their portable 720p baseline mandate and let devs freely make games for docked 1080p users... that would kill Switch Lite in an instant.

The premise of Lockhart is to be able to run games at 1080p60, something that even XB1X cannot do in every single game. They're most likely going to stick to the OG XB1 baseline, if their narrative is anything to go by.

Too many unknowns about Lockhart to start a truly informed discussion at this point.

But it's clear that something must have changed that MS would reinstate it in their next gen goals. And people are free to guess exactly whatever that was.

Darius87

If they sold 60M consoles and sold 100 Million games and had other services to subscribe to, they'd be better off. Sony wasn't in a great place at the beginning of the generation, clearly they turned it around. But there are ways to make money with less overhead. Subscriptions and Services will allow for that which is why they will be updating their Streaming offering and more than likely come out with a Gamepass-like subscription. Clearly I'm speculating, but that is how gaming will evolve and I think MS is just ahead of the curve at this point regarding that.
there's gains and losses in this case losses outweights gains because:

• sony has much more exclussives then ms so more gamers to migrate towards pc's
  • losing hardcore fans
  • longer time developing to multiple configuration hardware
  • decreased quality in 1st party titles
  • making proprietary tech or features irrevelant
  • with no exclussivity giving big advantage to ms because now their on the same playing field and market share between two consoles would be more even (that means losing alot of money).
But imagine using the PSVR on a PC with their Playstation Launcher, this would boost sales and expand their VR market especially if they are serious about it and they can come in at a good price. Why spend all them dollars in R&D if you only sell to Playstation customers only?
if it would be good as you suggesting i think sony would've been already done it same goes for non vr games.

Gamernyc78

Banned
They must be sure that the Scarlett has beat PS5 specs.

Them being sure doesn't exist and won't until the console specs are officially released. I think it's actually quite the opposite lockhart might be introduced bcus thy don't think they'll be beating Sony at the power game and want to have diff versions out there to try to cast a wider net.

Mass Shift

They must be sure that the Scarlett has beat PS5 specs.

I mean I get that, but even if that were the case you wouldn't create and then release a "stepchild console" on purpose would you?

Lockhart is so unloved, and now it's going to have an inferiority complex too?

• losing hardcore fans
  • with no exclussivity giving big advantage to ms because now their on the same playing field and market share between two consoles would be more even (that means losing alot of money).

if it would be good as you suggesting i think sony would've been already done it same goes for non vr games.

• Sony and Microsoft have the same amount of 1st Party Studios at the moment, so that will change depending on studio output of large and small teams. It is not the case at the moment.
  • I think it's the hardcore fans that are staying.
  • The quality of first party titles has gotten better near the end of the generation
  • It's very relevant especially if it works well.
  • Platform Exclusives are important and keeps you on their platform and gives the mindset of buying games from your favorite publisher. In this case Sony Interactive Entertainment and Xbox Game Studios.

Sony made what they thought was right, Steve Balmer did the same thing. If didn't work forever.

Last edited:
Again, I doubt very seriously if MS is going to force any 3rd parties to develop for Lockhart if they don't want to and it's really going to be that much of a problem for developers.

I hope you're right, but my gut is saying differently. If Lockhart is just intended for streaming but optimizing that streaming (and targeting $200 rather than $300; $300 is cutting it close for something that's supposed to target the price-conscious), *then* it could have purpose without cannibalizing Anaconda/Scarlet.

But it sounds like they are designing Lockhart with localized gaming in mind, just at a lower target resolution. That is going to hold back next-gen gaming development in terms of things that aren't resolution-dependent. If 3rd parties ignore Lockhart, that just gives it less a reason to exist.

Hopeful that MS reconsiders these plans and doesn't consider anything Lockhart-related until a couple years after Anaconda/Scarlet is released.

Last edited:

Imtjnotu

• Sony and Microsoft have the same amount of 1st Party Studios at the moment, so that will change depending on studio output of large and small teams. It is not the case at the moment.
  • The quality of first party titles has gotten better near the end of the generation
  • Platform Exclusives are important and keeps you on their platform and gives the mindset of buying games from your favorite publisher. In this case Sony Interactive Entertainment and Xbox Game Studios.

Sony made what they thought was right, Steve Balmer did the same thing. If didn't work forever.
Yes but Microsofts first party studio aren't on par with Nintendo or Sony. They aren't even close.

I get you're a harcore Xbox fan but you two need to atleast see it as truth. They will get better but it won't be any time in the next year or two

Last edited:
Yes but Microsofts first party studio aren't on par with Nintendo or Sony. They aren't even close.

I get you're a harcore Xbox fan but you two need to atleast see it as truth. They will get better but it won't be any time in the next year or two
I'm not a hardcore Xbox fan, but I offer contrast because a lot of people here have their Sony blinders on and have a hate boner for MS. I give every platform a fair chance. I'm not even hating on Sony, they have great studios, and hardware. But we haven't even seen the fruits of the new studios AAA development yet and we wont until next gen. You can't write them off when they haven't produced anything yet and Microsoft hasn't had the power to produce amazing AAA titles. It was not a good generation for MS.

Last edited:

Darius87

• i won't argue on this, games are subjective but quality and is far worse with ms titles.
  • how so? like xbox360 fans stayed.
  • that's not the reason multi configuration hw is the real reason games allways be better when developed for only one specific hw.
  • if one platform doesn't have hw features like ps has it would make it irrevelant
  • i mean true exclusives.

Aceofspades

Banned
PS3 Xbox 360 gen thy were hundreds less and had better multiplats and still were outsold by ps3 world wide almost every single month. The Sony minds hare is intense and thy earned it with their hardware and exclusives.

Don't forget that also PS3 released a year later (year and half in EU) at higher price, reduced initial shipment (due to low yields of Cell) and yet managed to outsell 360 every month. Crazy

FranXico

Old article, citing Shawn Layden.
Some of Sony’s most famed exclusives include God of War, The Last of Us, Marvel’s Spider-Man, Uncharted, Horizon Zero Dawn, and The Last Guardian. Yet, as Layden says, these are unlikely to be the titles that get a little cross-platform love. Rather, it’s future multiplayer titles, which Sony has expressed it wants to develop more of, that the company will be hoping to use to capture the wider market.
Sony may try this with a few, less crucial titles in the near future (and they have already licensed some of their IP to PC ports) but not likely so with their "prestige" games (as some call them).

Not discrediting those rumours btw.

Last edited:

Mass Shift

I hope you're right, but my gut is saying differently. If Lockhart is just intended for streaming but optimizing that streaming (and targeting $200 rather than $300; $300 is cutting it close for something that's supposed to target the price-conscious), *then* it could have purpose without cannibalizing Anaconda/Scarlet.

But it sounds like they are designing Lockhart with localized gaming in mind, just at a lower target resolution. That is going to hold back next-gen gaming development in terms of things that aren't resolution-dependent. If 3rd parties ignore Lockhart, that just gives it less a reason to exist.

Hopeful that MS reconsiders these plans and doesn't consider anything Lockhart-related until a couple years after Anaconda/Scarlet is released.

Spencer did say specifically that he didn't want to confuse people. Are we certain that it's launching at the same time as Anaconda?

I suppose developers wouldn't be complaining if it were otherwise.

Lort

Banned
Don't forget that also PS3 released a year later (year and half in EU) at higher price, reduced initial shipment (due to low yields of Cell) and yet managed to outsell 360 every month. Crazy

Xbox 360 outsold ps3 continuously ( just not through the whole life) ..

ps2 > xbox sales is 150 million to 25 million

ps4 to xbox one is 100 million to 50 million

Nobody doubts that xbox 360 “won” that generation ... they sold more per month for at least half the generation and buying a ps3 to play bluerays and never playing a game should never be counted as console sales.

Xbox is a far bigger brand with far more reach nowdays with PC and mobile mindshare and has a far strong opportunity to regain market share ( 6 to 1 vs 2 to 1)

it will very close this time around again .. especially if like as in the previous generation xbox has more better games.

( seems odd everyone forgot that xbox360 had a way better library than ps3)

KingT731

Xbox 360 outsold ps3 continuously ( just not through the whole life) ..

ps2 > xbox sales is 150 million to 25 million

ps4 to xbox one is 100 million to 50 million

Nobody doubts that xbox 360 “won” that generation ... they sold more per month for at least half the generation and buying a ps3 to play bluerays and never playing a game should never be counted as console sales.

Xbox is a far bigger brand with far more reach nowdays with PC and mobile mindshare and has a far strong opportunity to regain market share ( 6 to 1 vs 2 to 1)

it will very close this time around again .. especially if like as in the previous generation xbox has more better games.

( seems odd everyone forgot that xbox360 had a way better library than ps3)
360 Won the US. PS3 won the World.

Gamernyc78

Banned

• losing hardcore fans

Yeah thts what I was saying. I remember being in forums and every month ppl were glued to ww sales charts lol and PS3 would outsell it almost every month except holiday rush when Xbox had the crazy crazy deals. It is crazy tht thy were able to sell tht many at tht price its just a shame ps3 was so expensive to make and tht hurt Sony.

MadAnon

PS5 slightly more powerful than both consoles from the competition?

Reference to Tempest, in case the 5s aren't obvious enough.

2.1 GHz CPU? Somebody else throw a guess in here.

Nevermind, powers confirmed in the other thread.
I think it means that PS5 is being pushed even more than 2ghz on GPU!? Oberon was 2ghz.

Sounds a bit insane so not sure what to make of this.

Most likely something else.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom