• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Neo Blaster

Another bollocks twitter post or some level of truth... Granted he starts the post by saying Rumours. 😂

So is there anyone who has some Microsoft links that can give any credence to this, or should we all just swiftly move on. 🤔

When I see someone writing such thing and considering how problematic this launch is going to be for MS so far, one has to wonder why they would prefer to hide their cards instead of shouting ' hey, we're not lacking, there's these games too'.

So in the new ps5 ad on brasil playstation channel Demon souls has been rated 16 while the other 2 (h2fw and gt7) have no rating.

This could suggest demon souls is in the first 2 months of launch

s3W1Ie6.jpg

LiquidRex

So according to a patent there's talk of PS5 PSP link... Here's a clip from E3 2006; jump to 45 sec to see what was promised back then. 😜

Last edited:
Every time I see Dictator's posts, I mistakenly think that Verified checkmark applies to the validity of the checks he receives from Microsoft.

$50,000 bonus to liken an Xbox graphical issue to the time of day, $100,000 to zoom in to the micropixel on any Sony game and never look at it again, no matter how much it improves in a later showing.

ToadMan

I REALLY don't get the whole "requested a ban" thing. I mean...if you don't want to be here.....don't type the addy in the browser! Deactivate your account! BANNING? Just seems silly or just like some kind of 'drama queen' type thing to do. Not calling anyone names, just saying it SEEMS a bit...emotional and drastic, IMHO. I'll miss his posting..he seemed to know what he was talking about quite a lot of the time.

Bear in mind the “value” (yes $$$ value) of a forum is partly about the number of active members. After all, posts generate clicks and clicks generate revenue.

So if you’re pissed off about something, right now requesting a ban is about the only way to “hit back” at the forum in a meaningful way. To be honest there should be an automatic account delete function to avoid the need to request bans at all.

Anyway I don’t know if that’s what happened with BOTW though - but in general I think that’s the rationale for people requesting perms...

Last edited:

SaucyJack

I know they have the Series S but I'm guessing they are more worried about the PS5 DE Price than anything else.

I find it interesting how often the MS not wanting to be undercut is repeated as if it’s Just a decision that’s entirely up to them. Phil won’t let it happen, really?

If MS truly wanted to be cheaper then they would have designed a console with a cheaper BOM. They chose to build a highly specced machine with a huge SOC and that limits their room for manoeuvre. They still have to contain any early hardware loss, and then bring it to break even with cost reductions later. That paradigm hasn’t changed.

There are limits to how much Xbox can loss lead on hardware. Let's say, for sake of argument, that PS5 is $499 and XSX $599 with the “normal” low level of loss included. When Sony announce can MS just cut $100 and price match? I don’t think so, that’s a $1 billion additional loss on the first 10 million consoles.

I reckon XSX will be at least $50 more than PS5. If XSS is launched it will certainly be cheaper. They may have cheapest and strongest in two different SKUs, even then PS5 will still be in the Goldilocks zone.

Neo Blaster

Would definitely like there to be a couple more launch titles, but where are they coming from?

First party? Can’t see where, their output is pretty much accounted for 🤷‍♂️

Third party? Possible, but why wouldn’t we have seen anything significant in the earlier content-lite shows?

Upgrades on last gen titles?
I think all third party big hitters for the last 4 months of 2020 are already announced and they are releasing on PS/Xbox, just cannot see some shocking exclusivity coming out of nowhere from both sides, maybe for 2021 titles and going on. All I can think MS could still do for launch is a big inclusion for Gamepass, but that would mean a game already released.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

If MS truly wanted to be cheaper then they would have designed a console with a cheaper BOM. They chose to build a highly specced machine with a huge SOC and that limits their room for maneuver.

They just weren't thinking ahead. They should have gone with a server class apu that could be utilized by the cloud division in multiple configurations (make the silicone lottery losers count). DC purchases could have been negotiated at a nice margin and still looked like a sweet deal in that space from an investor perspective, clearing the way for sweetheart pricing on Xbox balance sheets. MS definitely lacks foresight in HW development, it's sad.

splattered

How can someone be so delusional ?

Digital foundry said it performed worse than 2080 for gears 5 (not even 2080 super) and this clown thinks its better than 3080 ?

You have to remember though that Gears 5 was running without any actual optimization yet, it was just straight ported over for the event. So you have to wonder what the performance will actually be like once the tools have fully matured and the game has been totally optimized.

kyliethicc

That's exactly what they are doing with the XSS. If anything they want to make sure it's cheaper than the cheapest PS5. If the two end up the same price that would be a disaster for them.
I suspect Microsoft originally wanted to flank the PS5 on price/power like they did with PS4. (X at 500, PS5 at 400, S at 300.)

I think Sony created the digital PS5 to cut out retailers and make more money from their store, but I bet it was also a way to lower the PS5 entry price in anticipation of a lower priced next gen Xbox. I think they know the S is also digital only.

Microsoft must be holding back on annoucning the S until they know Sony's price. They must want to know how low they need to go to undercut the PS5 and probably hoped Sony would say price in June.

Sony seems to know this and is holding back on saying a price. They must want to go after Microsoft.

Last edited:
You have to remember though that Gears 5 was running without any actual optimization yet, it was just straight ported over for the event. So you have to wonder what the performance will actually be like once the tools have fully matured and the game has been totally optimized.
Of course but it could be said that the game is also not optimized for 2080. However I get ur point and expect it to sit close to 2080 super with hardware optimization.

I expect ps5 to sit around 2070 super. Meaning 15 to 20% advantage for xsx. But these machines are far below 3070 . Let alone 3080 as this guy suggests. 3080 doubles the performance of 2080 ti. Which non of the consoles can touch .

Last edited:

splattered

Of course but it could be said that the game is also not optimized for 2080. However I get ur point and expect it to sit close to 2080 super with hardware optimization.

I expect ps5 to sit around 2070 super. Meaning 15 to 20% advantage for xsx. But these machines are far below 3070 . Let alone 3080 as this guy suggests. 3070 doubles the performance of 2080 ti. Which non of the consoles can touch .

Ha yeah anyone saying these consoles are in any way shape or form close to the new 3000 series GPUs are fooling themselves. I will be totally happy with 2070/2080 performance in a console if we don't have to pay more than $499 each. That being said i would also happily pay say $700-800(Maybe more) for them if they actually WERE closer to the 3000 series GPUs.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I suspect Microsoft originally wanted to flank the PS5 on price/power like they did with PS4. (X at 500, PS4 at 400, S at 300.)

I think Sony created the digital PS5 to cut out retailers and make more money from their store, but I bet it was also a way to lower the PS5 entry price in anticipation of a lower priced next gen Xbox. I think they know the S is also digital only.

Microsoft must be holding back on annoucning the S until they know Sony's price. They must want to know how low they need to go to undercut the PS5 and probably hoped Sony would say price in June.

Sony seems to know this and is holding back on saying a price. They must want to go after Microsoft.

MS is probably just too over the moon about the delay in PS5 pre-orders that they can't be bothered to announce anything. MS's biggest sales pitch is made at retail on launch day, not something that can really be conveyed in a pre-order. The biggest fear for MS would have been that PS5 went to pre-orders early and they maxed production to suck the sales out of the market before MS could make its most compelling case. I think MS would be willing to forfeit pre-orders entirely if it allowed them to get to launch day without PS5 pre-orders (make the difference that console for $XXX upfront vs. that console for $XX a month with a bunch of free games). Especially in a pandemic, it will be interesting to see how that plays out.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

I expect ps5 to sit around 2070 super. Meaning 15 to 20% advantage for xsx. But these machines are far below 3070 . Let alone 3080 as this guy suggests. 3070 doubles the performance of 2080 ti. Which non of the consoles can touch .
Yeah 2070 super vs 2080 is a basically what these consoles are.

we don't need consoles to be 3080 at launch. That's insanity.

zaitsu

Banned

Both consoles will be around 3060 level. At best between 3060 and 3070.

ethomaz

Banned
How can someone be so delusional ?

Digital foundry said it performed worse than 2080 for gears 5 (not even 2080 super) and this clown thinks its better than 3080 ?

LqjURDf.jpg
I explained that in the there here dozen of times but people keep saying that 100fps better than RTX 2080 lol

At least Dictator hold with what he saw and write even going against his bias.

A lot of folks are want to claim the 3000 series has invalidated consoles. They haven't, really.

We have two consoles of which the power level currently housed inside is fantastic for console owners.

We've never had SSDs, ample RAM, stout CPUs, ray tracing capable GPUs. Look at what talented developers can eek out of these systems even now(Gears, Last of Us, FFVII), 7 years later.

We've always been behind significantly. We still will be, but not anywhere remotely as gaping as generations prior. I argue we have more benefits this time than we ever have.

Here's the fact:

PC will *always* whip a console's ass, no matter what. They are ever-advancing and upgradeable.

But what must you do to take advantage of that fact? Assuming you go for the best of the best(and these are rough numbers aside from the GPU price which I believe is the 3090)

GPU: $1499
RAM: $150
CPU: $400
Case: $100
Motherboard: $100

These are just some essential components(not nearly all) of building that PC and while my pricing is probably inaccurate, as you can find deals, the song remains the same.

You will pay a minimum of $2000 for the best rig out there. That is a LOT of money, though you can save some by going for deals a piece at a time. For that money, you damned well better have the best.

But wait..it took 6 months, maybe a year to build your rig. Its now obsolete(technically) because that's how fast the technology advances.

I and many others are happy with what we are getting. This is one of the biggest leaps we've seen. Remember, for us old timers, we recollect when arcade machines far surpassed home console, but then they didn't. I'm not saying this in regards to PC vs console, but rather the technological jump we will see in time here.

A lot of folks are want to claim the 3000 series has invalidated consoles. They haven't, really.

We have two consoles of which the power level currently housed inside is fantastic for console owners.

We've never had SSDs, ample RAM, stout CPUs, ray tracing capable GPUs. Look at what talented developers can eek out of these systems even now(Gears, Last of Us, FFVII), 7 years later.

We've always been behind significantly. We still will be, but not anywhere remotely as gaping as generations prior. I argue we have more benefits this time than we ever have.

Here's the fact:

PC will *always* whip a console's ass, no matter what. They are ever-advancing and upgradeable.

But what must you do to take advantage of that fact? Assuming you go for the best of the best(and these are rough numbers aside from the GPU price which I believe is the 3090)

These are just some essential components(not nearly all) of building that PC and while my pricing is probably inaccurate, as you can find deals, the song remains the same.

You will pay a minimum of $2000 for the best rig out there. That is a LOT of money, though you can save some by going for deals a piece at a time. For that money, you damned well better have the best.

But wait..it took 6 months, maybe a year to build your rig. Its now obsolete(technically) because that's how fast the technology advances.

I and many others are happy with what we are getting. This is one of the biggest leaps we've seen. Remember, for us old timers, we recollect when arcade machines far surpassed home console, but then they didn't. I'm not saying this in regards to PC vs console, but rather the technological jump we will see in time here.

As usual once console gamers get their hands on the hardware, whether Xbox or PS, they will forget about the specs and just enjoy their games.

Jon Neu

Banned
NXGamer is only biased in the eyes of hardcore Xbox fans or fanboys. There's actually proof that Dictator is a member of a FUD spreading Xbox Discord. The two situations don't even compare.

DF is only biased in the eyes of hardcore Sony fans or fanboys. The fact that every Sony fanboy under the sun loves NXGamer already proves his bias.

You know nothing John Neu

At least I know how to spell Jon Snow.

And also I know how to spot the terrible hypocrisy Sony fanboys like to indulge in without any sense of self-awareness whatsoever.

Here's the fact:

And PC is pc, console is console.

As in they dont directly compete and they have different audiences, with some overlap.

Rarely console gamer invests thousands for a pc or pc gamer swiches to cheap console (only).

High end pc is easily even more than 2000€/$

1500 gpu
700-900 cpu (ryzen 3950x, not fastest for games maybe, but best overal desktop cpu)
150-400 motherboard
150-300 ram
100-200 psu
100-200 case
50-300 coolers
100-500 SSD+hdd
50-200 Kb+mouse
100-500 display
50-400 Speakers,headset,windows,random items

So high end pc is closer to 3000-4000€/$ than 2000.

And for under 1000, console usually offers similar/better gaming experience.

And anyway even 10000€ pc is useless if gamer wants to play all ps4 / ps5 games, so comparing is pointless.

Pc gamers always cry how consoles limit their games, while in reality probably half or more pc gamers have old slow ass systems that are the reason, not consoles

But what must you do to take advantage of that fact? Assuming you go for the best of the best
Why would I need to go for the best of the best if mid-tier is already much stronger than the best consoles.
And why would I have to start from scratch? Most people interested in PC gaming already have a gaming PC, which are modular.
Those will just put a 3070 into their systems and already easily run circles around the consoles.....
For most PC gamers a "next gen" upgrade won`t be more than the 499$ for the GPU.....

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom