• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
And they said this right before Sonys event?

Yep. That's what I meant a few days ago when I was saying that team XBOX won't stay silent out of respect to team Playstation either before or after Sony's event. It's also why I personally believe the release of XSS/XSX release/pricing/pre order was a controlled leak on Sony's PS1 North America 25th anniversary.

There are many in business that believe any press, even bad, is good for business. It keeps their name out there.

Tripolygon

Banned
So then, explain to these people what parametric yields are -funny how you forgot all your knowledge yesterday- and what is one of the most major factors that affect them.
Even the way you pose this question betrays the fact you don't even know what you are asking. You just read a word from Beyond3D and thought it will make you sound knowledgeable.

Full disclosure, I don't work in IC and don't have knowledge beyond just being an individual that is curious about technology and seeks out knowledge.

Last edited:
Except for normal particulate and process defects, engineering would do HTOL tests in ovens at elevated temps to accelarate bath tub, automative also do cold tests but thats another story, also testing on ATE on die and chips at elevated temps.

For 7nm+ the critical layers around the FinFET will be using EUV Litho, likely 4 or 5 layers or so, so the variances will be tigher

DO you not thing this will have been engineered to death and back ?

Out of interest, when a chip fails on an ATE, do you think a chip manufacterer knows why ? Do you know whats involved in stripping layers and looking for a needle in a haystack ? LOL

Also its a poor attemp to attack Ps5 clock frequency, the real question is why is XSX at 1.8 Ghz ? Its been designed primarily as a 4 instance server, but MS dont seem to have optimised the design as a console. XSX is supposed to be wide, but still has 4 shader arrays....go figure.
Don't waste your time with this shark guy. He just read a Wikipedia page that he didn't understand and came to troll.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I've said it before, they have consistently been obsessed with whitewashing their image and PR wars since 2013.
To the point of neglecting what you would expect from a first party.
I preferred the old MS. "Oh you want Bioshock and Mass Effect and Halo 3 day one? Your 360 broke? Fuck you buy another one

BTW I got another tattoo of Sonys biggest former exclusives"

Now they are just a bunch of simps who are trying hard to be extra nice to everyone so we will buy their system

I preferred the old MS. "Oh you want Bioshock and Mass Effect and Halo 3 day one? Your 360 broke? Fuck you buy another one

BTW I got another tattoo of Sonys biggest former exclusives"

Now they are just a bunch of simps who are trying hard to be extra nice to everyone so we will buy their system
Peter Moore's Xbox. That guy wasn't fucking around. Xbox died on the day Moore left.

Even the way you pose this question betrays the fact you don't even know what you are asking. You just read a word from Beyond3D and thought it will make you sound knowledgeable.

Full disclosure, I don't work in IC and don't have knowledge beyond just being an individual that is curious about technology and seeks out knowledge.
Nice that you follow my advice:
I wrote yesterday said:
There is a very interesting thread on B3D about this.
I would quote some, but I get enough cursing as it is.

But still, you trying to make attacks at me sure makes you look ....somehow
So go ahead, tell people what is being discussed there. They are listening

And since you disclaim your lack of knowledge, FWIW I used to work as an analyst for microsoft's biggest business competitor for many years

Last edited:
Daaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaamn

Power consumption

060.png

Edit: that's with 10GB. 10GB!!

Edit2: the GPU is great, not saying it isn't, but... O_O

Last edited:

Neo Blaster

I really don't understand why everyone in the media hates the ps so much. You are consistently getting multiple goty contenders from them a year. It's like what more do you want. I swear Geoff is the only one who wants Sony to succeed.

I think Sony needs to cultivate relationships with the media a bit better. Yes it's sucking up to them but that's part of the business. It's like sports. You can be the best baseball player of all time but if you don't have the journos on your side, you are going to pay eventually.

They also need to up their engagement with fans. MS perhaps goes a bit too far but you need to hold events like psx again. You need to wine and dine the press, and you definitely need to prove to them that you have the better platform for games. I still can't believe i haven't read any articles on whether or not Lockhart would hold back games. I mean how could you write that article when MS has just sent you a Lockhart to play with.. It's brilliant.

I love how df said ms didn't respond to any of their questions. Well, why don't you call up the dozens of sources you have in dev studios and find out yourself. If MS is ghosting you because they know the answers are incriminating then you need to go to the source, but why would you when you have been given a gift. It's crazy to me the df sat on this for 6 months and didn't bother asking devs simple questions. 6 months.

Again, wine and dine these people and they will feel obligated to bat for you.
Three points:

- 'When you're on top, the only way is down';
- People love the underdog;
- Journalists love clickbaits.

geordiemp

Once again you are proving that you have absolutely no idea about what you are always talking about.
Disabled CUs are happening to ensure that physical yields, ie defects are dealt with from the get-go and never are a problem.
I asked you about parametric yields, you wrote (copied?) a bunch of stuff, and still you only managed to prove that your knowledge about the things you are talking about is MINIMAL.

[In fact, bloomberg article sure talks about the latter, using the word "unstable" among other things. But you didn't understand. makes sense.]

Now, I don't want to waste any more time on this. But if you do, let's do it on another topic or another day.
People today are not interested in technology details, whether they are real or ...imaginary

All your inputs comes from standard PC and internet forums or web sites, your understanding of pC part marketing, you have not ever offered any knowledge on any subject.

I did not copy anything, I am a semiconductor physicist.

Think about that for a moment. There is no point on arguing about a subject I do for a living, especially with a warrior on GAF, its pointless. You do not want to understand, just troll ps5 frequencies very badly at that by simply looking at some pC parts on another node that is not even applicable to RDNA2.

Last edited:
Ain't gonna lie, Xbox is offering a great deal: powerful console at good price, Gamepass and Xcloud.
My problem with it is how it continues to contradict itself.
The most powerful console because power counts... but crossgen exclusives and budget console.
We want big AAAA exclusives... but on Gamepass at 5 dollars a month. Result: Gears 5 microtransactions and Ugly Infinite GaaS crossgen.
We want a budget console for every gamer... but 500 GB SSD so you will likely have to spend on expansion cards later, and no disk so you cannot use old disks, take retail games from friends or sell yours.
They need to decide one fucking thing and do that. It's like if Nintendo said "oh yeah we want Switch 2 because we will return to SNES days where we went hard on tech. But you know all games also on Switch".
The fuck?

Darklor01

All your inputs comes from standard PC and internet forums or web sites, your understanding of pC part marketing, you have not ever offered any knowledge on any sibject.

Think about that for a moment. There is no point on arguing about a subject I do for a living, especially with a warrior on GAF, its pointless. You do not want to understand, just troll ps5 frequencies very badly at that by simply looking at some pC parts on another node that is not even applicable to RDNA2.

Hi Giordiemp (I dont' know how to tag someone),

Is this useful in understanding the discussion at hand? :

All your inputs comes from standard PC and internet forums or web sites, your understanding of pC part marketing, you have not ever offered any knowledge on any sibject.

Ask your friend tripolygon for a link, if he hasn't already supplied you with one. Until you understand what you are talking about, I suggest you do not quote me any more.

Tripolygon

Banned
Nice that you follow my advice:
No im actually a member of the forum smart-ass as are many people from GAF, BY3D, ERA and a few other forums are my guilty pleasure to read as I prefer these type of discussions over social media drama. You think you're the only person that reads BY3D? Heck O onQ123 got banned from there because he was always creating future looking threads.

You are acting like all of those Xbox studios are never coming out with games or that third party doesn't exist. Game Pass is great, but I don't have a lot of interest playing on my phone or tablet.

Right now, nothing yet announced has me interested in either console at launch, but maybe that will change tomorrow. We shall see.

Xbox games will come, but when and how many?
Will they be online multiplayer focused?
Will they be varied?
Anyway, if you can play then even on your phone... Good for Microsoft for having a service that people want to pay for, but not so much for the new hardware.

geordiemp

Hi Giordiemp (I dont' know how to tag someone),

Is this useful in understanding the discussion at hand? :

I did that as my first job after uni, so long ago assembly lines did not use earthing and wrist straps half the time, and CMOS would look like bomb craters at the pins half the time, but easy to reverse and find wven with a microscope not a SEM.

Particles and defects in middle layers such as poly or around gates.....lol

Parametric for EUV will be much tigher, thats the whole point of it, and it will be on critical layers / EUV litho around the FINFETs. and you can bet its a TSMC top secret special sauce, as will be the low K gate materials.

Last edited:

Darklor01

I did that as my first job after uni, so long ago assembly lines did not use earthing and wrist straps half the time, and CMOS would look like bomb craters at the pins half teh time, but easy to reverse.

Particles and defects in middle layers such as poly or around gates.....lol

LOL. .. Soooo.. No?

Also, I went to Radio Shack to understand circuits back in the day.. and that was because one of my friends liked to play with soldering back in then. I don't know jack about shit sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom