• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

zaitsu

Banned
So I've seen benchmarks for 3090 - only 10% better than 3080.
So

3060 ??%%
PS5/XSX
2080TI -100% = 3070
3080 - 125%
3090 -137%

I wouldn't buy 3070 over consoles IMO.
3080 is fucking sweet.

kyliethicc

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-1.jpg

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-6.jpg

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-2.jpg

Sony-Play-Station-5-CFI-1018A-NCC-Certification-Live-Image-5.jpg
so that thing was just for the model sticker... so wheres the damn expansion bay?

also has to be said.... ps5 t h i c c

Ptarmiganx2

They aren't making HZD2 cross-gen for the hell of it, they're doing it to satisfy the 140 million PS4 user base and maximize game sales. There is zero chance they are completely building this game for the PS5 and then downscaling a few things here and there for the PS4. They will both get the same core game but PS5 will have better graphics or performance options. That's it.

Both MS and Sony are going to be making AAA Cross-Gen games for the next year or two, and then they will shift focus to XSS/X and PS5 only if and ONLY if enough of their current user base has shifted to the next gen consoles at that point (which is think is obviously a given).

With the cost to build a game like HZD2 it only makes sense. I had zero complaints about the original, it was the game of the generation for me. Improve the already flawless visuals and eliminate any load times and I don‘t give a crap about it not fully utilizing the hardware. It gives Guerrilla more time to refine the next generation Decima engine.

Just not true I have my PS4 Pro on an LG 27GL850 1440p display and its not blurry at all.

In fact it looks really nice outputting at 4k and the monitor downscales it to 1440 and looks good.

Used a Dell U2713hm previously and I can see it's not as sharp as it should be. Quite visible especially with the UI of the console and the text. As mentioned yes, the way the display handles the scaling has all to do with it, but to say this is not an issue is incorrect. The fix is to enable 1440p output on the console so it is the one controlling the scaling.

Kerlurk

Banned
That Bastard Master Tang, coughing like a hooker with asthma during happy hour, was right. I thought the gpu had exactly 12TFlops, but apparently it has closer to 12.2tflops and who am i to judge a fragile old weak man.

I'm sure most people, like you youngin, missed the Kungfu (TV show reference) in regards to snatching the tflops from my hand comment I made in my last post to you.

edit: It's a very famous and memorable scene (even though it looks a little boring today). Those scenes were presented as flashbacks in the show.

Yes the TV show, that cast a Caucasian playing a Chinese character.

Vegeta, what does the scouter say Kerlurk's power level (technical knowledge) is at?

Last edited:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Used a Dell U2713hm previously and I can see it's not as sharp as it should be. Quite visible especially with the UI of the console and the text. As mentioned yes, the way the display handles the scaling has all to do with it, but to say this is not an issue is incorrect. The fix is to enable 1440p output on the console so it is the one controlling the scaling.

Granted it probably is all on what monitor you are using.

Interesting note is the game MLB The Show 19 has a 1440 balanced graphics option when I saw that last year thought for sure we were getting the 1440 native support soon, still waiting.

THE:MILKMAN

Everybody in this thread that doesn't have a PS5 yet but wants one needs to take advantage of the release.

I'm doubly limited now because I want to use a specific retailer as I have gift card I want to use but are almost certainly getting much lower allocations than the big retailers.

yewles1

I'm sure most people, like you youngin, missed the Kungfu (TV show reference) in regards to snatching the tflops from my hand comment I made in my last post to you.

Yes the TV show, that cast a Caucasian playing a Chinese character.

Vegeta, what does the scouter say Kerlurk's power level (technical knowledge) is at?

HALF Chinese, Kain's father was American.

Granted it probably is all on what monitor you are using.

Interesting note is the game MLB The Show 19 has a 1440 balanced graphics option when I saw that last year thought for sure we were getting the 1440 native support soon, still waiting.

I actually switched to a 4K display because this was annoying me. So if the PS5 is only 1080/4K, it's ok for me. But for the many that are using 1440p displays, I think they need to enable this as an option. I would hope anyways. Let's see.

I'm doubly limited now because I want to use a specific retailer as I have gift card I want to use but are almost certainly getting much lower allocations than the big retailers.

If you can some extra money somewhere it would be good. Then use the gift card to buy an item you can sell online to get the money in cash.

Lysandros

I have a question: Does anyone else think the S could potentially have a more efficient GPU flow than the X? Ali Salehi stated that because of the split RAM and not high enough clockspeed of 1.825GHz, it would be difficult to access all 52 CU's concurrently and that a good compromise would be to do about 20 at a time on the X. With only 20 CU's on the S and just a slightly lower clockspeed of 1.565GHz, is it possible the S can access all ITS CU's at all times in comparison, or do we still have the lower bandwidth to deal with?
Sure, it's easier to fully occupy 20 CUs than 52 CUs, but i would not expect much efficiency gain from only that, maybe around 5%? The big problem is the RAM amount and bandwidth.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I actually switched to a 4K display because this was annoying me. So if the PS5 is only 1080/4K, it's ok for me. But for the many that are using 1440p displays, I think they need to enable this as an option. I would hope anyways. Let's see.

Yeah I have 2 different 1440p displays the LG 850 and the Samsung CHG70 and both displays allow me to set the Pro at 4k output and on those 2 displays it looks really good but as per display your mileage may vary as you pointed out.

Just recently purchased the LG 27GN950 and just loving this display as a side note

Last edited:

Md Ray

Just not true I have my PS4 Pro on an LG 27GL850 1440p display and its not blurry at all.

In fact it looks really nice outputting at 4k and the monitor downscales it to 1440 and looks good.
PS4 Pro works on a 1440p monitor? I thought PS4s only worked on 4K and 1080p displays. Will the base PS4 also work on that particular 1440p monitor?
Thanks.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
PS4 Pro works on a 1440p monitor? I thought PS4s only worked on 4K and 1080p displays. Will the base PS4 also work on that particular 1440p monitor?
Thanks.

Not sure what a base PS4 would output to these monitors.

These 2 are the only 1440p monitors I know work allowing the Pro to output to 4k then these monitors down scale to the native 1440p

T

Three Jackdaws

Unconfirmed Member
time stampped

RGT on PS5's variable clocks

"Long story short, from Sony's internal testing, the CPU and GPU will remain pretty much maxed out, Cerny said at the worst case scenario we're looking at a 3% reduction and I am hearing the same in real world performance IF the CPU is very heavily taxed and even then it's maybe 1-3 frames that happens....but from multiple people I am hearing from now including sources who have given me really good AMD information....I can say with very good authority the PS5 CPU/GPU will not reduce to anywhere near this clock frequency (referring to the BS leak)"

Last edited by a moderator:

Md Ray

Not sure what a base PS4 would output to these monitors.

These 2 are the only 1440p monitors I know work allowing the Pro to output to 4k then these monitors down scale to the native 1440p
Thanks for replying. Interesting. One being LG 27GL850, what's the other one?

Last edited:

Axonometri

Dolby logo on the PS5 is most likely just there for play licensed Dolby Blu ray content. However, a lot of this confusion would be fixed if Sony would talk to us about the rest of the specifics on their consoles launching in 2 months. There is a lot I want to know still.

RGT on PS5's variable clocks

"Long story short, from Sony's internal testing, the CPU and GPU will remain pretty much maxed out, Cerny said at the worst case scenario we're looking at a 3% reduction and I am hearing the same in real world performance IF the CPU is very heavily taxed and even then it's maybe 1-3 frames that happens....but from multiple people I am hearing from now including sources who have given me really AMD information....I can say with very good authority the PS5 CPU/GPU will not reduce to anywhere near this clock frequency (referring to the BS leak)"

That's very good news and it makes alot of sense to me. I think it's safe to call the PS5 an 11.28TF system.

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

Okay, I had an entire day to process yesterday's news ... so here I go:

The time of true exclusives is coming to an end. Sony and Microsoft want your money, and it seems they both decided that selling you consoles isn't the best way. They decided to sell you games and services to increase their revenue. MS is going for a subscription model (and just barely supporting the notion of you actually buying their games), while Sony is double-dipping on subscriptions as well as you actually buying their games and owning them (only digitally eventually).

Both will be giving you a choice: Do you wish to spend a thousand bucks and then some to play their games on a PC, or will you pay a mere 400$-600$ fee in order to buy a gaming platform which will give you access to said games but will restrict you to their eco-system? Choice is yours.

While for the time being it sucks that PS5 and XSX games have to run on PC HDDs, eventually they'll stop using them for games altogether and all games will require SSDs to play.

PlayStation and X-Box fans will eventually evolve into Sony and Microsoft fans, becoming loyal to the company logo and the developing teams behind them, rather than the boxes themselves (which will merely devolve into a means to an end). 'I love PlayStation' will turn into 'I love Sony games'.

Sony's PR was shady and suspicious. For the life of me I cannot imagine that someone fucked up so bad in the Demon's Souls trailer editing. Human error my ass - this isn't butterfingers or mismanaging your words ... someone at Sony actually made a picture of the Demon's Souls logo and then typed that the game is coming to PC and eventually to 'other consoles'. Whether that was the initial plan, Sony changed their mind and decided to end up making it a PS5-only game, or whether Jim Ryan and Herman Hultz are slowing and cautiously trying to make the PS owners more accustomed to the idea that the PS exclusives will all end up being console exclusives until they finally and bluntly admit it will be just that ... I don't know yet.

What I do know is that while I love games and I love most of the stuff Sony, MS and Nintendo are selling us, I cannot take their word at face value any more. Sony, you gave your fans the impression that SM Miles Morales is a PS5 exclusive until it was tweeted at the last second that it's a cross-gen title. Same thing will Horizon FW. The mere fact that you did it in a 'didn't you read the fine print, son?' kind of way is infuriating, dishonest and makes you no better than Spencer. While I do not think that Sony is on the same level of game quality with MS (my bias exists for a reason), I no longer trust the company to keep their word and I no longer take anything they post at face value until the game is released and reviewed.

And yeah, I think that DS will eventually come to PC. I don't mind it - the game wasn't made with an SSD in mind and it's made in a way to perfectly create loading screens when need be.

Ironically, I don't think that it'll be Sony who will show what the SSD can do - I think it'll a third party developer who will consciously make a PS5 exclusive, ignoring the PC market altogether.

I leave the conference happier than ever with the gameplay that I've seen, but I am really disappointed with Sony's dishonesty and cowardliness in being transparent with what they intended to do with their new console's launch window. I do not question the reasons they decided to make SM MM and H FW PS4-PS5 cross gen titles, but I do know that the games won't be near as impressive as we thought they would be. It won't be Craig levels of incompetence, but it will be a narrow, constrained vision.

Well, patience for a couple of years until both Sony and MS roll out the true next-gen games.
The original Horizon is still impressive on 7 year old hardware. Not worried a bit.

Kerlurk

Banned
I'd be more worried about the lack of native 1440p output on the PS5, or was this confirmed? I expect only 1080 and 4k. Speaking as someone that used a PS4pro on a 1440p display and switched it to a 4k one, the difference is very noticeable.

Yeah, I also hooked it (PS4 Pro) up to a 1440p display, and it was a little too soft for my liking (1080p upscaled).

There is no option to choose 4K to be down sampled.

Native 1440p would be a nice option, or even 4K down sampled to 1440p.

Last edited:

Lysandros

So 3% performance reduction in worst case sceniario means PS5 never go lower 9.9 TF and even then not for longer time than 2 frames.
Smartshift is there to make PS5 better machine not worse, have been saying that for so long...
It's not AMD's smartshift doing that, it's PS5's custom variable frequency feature. Smartshift is used on top of that to divert any unused power from the CPU to GPU.

yewles1

Thanks.
Pro is not outputting a native 1440p buffer, it will just downsample (supersample) the 4K output option, provded your display is at least HDMI 2.0 capable I believe.

kyliethicc

PS4, PS5, Xbox One/Series S/X, do/will all support Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD Master Audio. But mostly just for Blu-rays.

Xbox One/Series S/X support some games mixed in Dolby TrueHD, some even with Atmos. But most games are just Dolby/DTS 5.1 or 7.1.

Xbox One/Series S/X also support DTS:X via DTS-HD MA but only for Blu-rays, not games.

PS4 supports games mixed in Dolby/DTS 5.1 or 7.1. As far as I know, PS4 only supports DTS-HD MA and Dolby TrueHD for Blu-rays.

PS5 will have its own proprietary Tempest 3D Audio output for games. I doubt it will support DTS:X/Atmos at all.

Otherwise PS5 and PS4 should have same audio formats supported. Digital PS5 might be a tad different due to lack of BD drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom