• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Great Hair

Banned
Small correction, XSX GPU isn't 16.7% faster, in fact every part of the XSX GPU is around 20% slower than PS5's. XSX having 18% more (max theoratical) vector ALU throughput is tied to number of CUs not speed.

That Bastard Master Tang, coughing like a hooker with asthma during happy hour, was right. I thought the gpu had exactly 12TFlops, but apparently it has closer to 12.2tflops and who am i to judge a fragile old weak man.

Neo_game

If we take their silence as confirmation, the gap this gen will be significantly bigger than previous gen.

Not sure if serious. Last gen Xbox had crappy ddr3 68gb/sec compared to PS5 gddr5 176gb/sec. That is actually what made the difference. PS3 had split memory and complicated architecture also gave 360 advantage especially early on. This gen they both are evenly matched. May be PS5 will have some 20% less pixels. 1900P compared to 2160P or something.

sircaw

Banned
Hogwarts Legacy screenshots, this game feels like current gen on ultra and sometimes at lower, it's pretty rough and some points. 60fps sometimes, and even as low as 20fps in some parts. Looks like very early build that they rushed it out. It's a multiplat so far, running on PS5 dev-kit

vlcsnap-2020-09-19-17h30m51s403.png

ALL I KNOW IS, I WANT ONE.

Nikana

Go Go Neo Rangers!
No, I mean ... it's not a port, it's not a cheap remaster, it's a full-on remake built from the ground up. It's basically a new game which simply immitates a lot of the original's game design. With his logic, Final Fantasy VII Remake should be sold at 30 bucks or something because it's a remake of a PSX game. It doesn't work like that on any level.

As for Shadow of the Colossus, I'm not entirely sure why they sold it at a lower price. Perhaps there was less work to be done on the game world? Not sure. But I sure as hell do not expect the game to be sold at a budget price.

When you have a game that already has a design doc you get to cut out a lot of planning I would think. Which is why projects like Shadow of the Collusus I imagine don't get a full $60 price tag because they don't take as many resources. Its still the same game but in a new engine (for the most part)

Personally, I think asking $80 for a remake that is just over ten years old is a stretch. Demon Souls isn't going to be a radically different experience the same way Shadow of Colossus wasnt.

Something like FFVIIR makes sense to be full priced as its a radical departure from the original design doc. (Splitting it up is bullshit imo) You could argue it's even a different genre now as it's more action RPG rather than turn based RPG.

Chun Swae

Banned
I really wish Epic had released unreal engine v in time for launch games to take advantage of it. We'll truly be blown away by the games post 2021 that are using UE5 since a lot of people think we've reached our graphics peak. Pretty much every next gen game shown has ran on last gen engines targeting last gen hardware. We still haven't seen true next gen graphics.

No, I mean ... it's not a port, it's not a cheap remaster, it's a full-on remake built from the ground up. It's basically a new game which simply immitates a lot of the original's game design. With his logic, Final Fantasy VII Remake should be sold at 30 bucks or something because it's a remake of a PSX game. It doesn't work like that on any level.

As for Shadow of the Colossus, I'm not entirely sure why they sold it at a lower price. Perhaps there was less work to be done on the game world? Not sure. But I sure as hell do not expect the game to be sold at a budget price.
Playing devil's advocate, you could argue that the artistic vision + writing was already done. Even with that though, the gameplay we saw was the first taste we got of true next-gen and I am more than happy to get it on launch. Bluepoint are setting the early benchmark with their engine and it's clear a lot of work has gone into filling out the world with details. FS could not realize this level of visual detail even at their best

Playing devil's advocate, you could argue that the artistic vision + writing was already done. Even with that though, the gameplay we saw was the first taste we got of true next-gen and I am more than happy to get it on launch. Bluepoint are setting the early benchmark with their engine and it's clear a lot of work has gone into filling out the world with details. FS could not realize this level of visual detail even at their best

People are going to be disappointed with what they see of Elden Ring graphically after Demon's Souls comes out. I sincerely hope they are not expecting it to be anywhere near close to Bluepoint's effort.

People are going to be disappointed with what they see of Elden Ring graphically after Demon's Souls comes out. I sincerely hope they are not expecting it to be anywhere near close to Bluepoint's effort.
Yeah and that is totally fine! Elden ring is a multi-plat that potentially started on current-gen systems and it is important to manage expectations like you said. I am excited to see what GRRM can bring to video games. Bluepoint is setting the benchmark and, to me, they have - the DeS gameplay was immaculate

Lysandros

There's ~42% more pixels, ~30% less pixels (900p/1080p) with Xbox One/PS4.
1.31TF + 42% 1.86TF (roughly the PS4 TF).
Xbox Series X is ~18.17% more TF than PS5, PS5 ~15.3% less TF (peak).
If they are both the same res, I'd expect Series X to give something a little extra with that ~18.17%.
There is much more to PS4/XboxOne difference. PS4 had around 2.5 times more main memory bandwidth, twice the number of ROPS and massive async compute advandge. Thus PS4 had often better framerates in games on top of having better resolution. That situation isn't even comparable to XSX/PS5. That '18%' is the max theoretical vector ALU throughput, this won't translate directly to '18% more performance' most of the time, especially with a 20% slower GPU.

Why are people even engaging Shark? He thinks Watch Dogs looks better than Demons Souls.

It will be interesting to see if XSX/XSS can repeat this success I’ve been pretty confident in saying that I don’t even expect it to be hard to land one next week

TheGreatWhiteShark TheGreatWhiteShark I know you've got your opinions and all, but objectively speaking how could you say Watch Dogs Legion looks better than Demon's Souls Remake. Subjectively speaking you could say you prefer xyz art style/genre over another here. Did you even see the youtube demon's souls remake 4K60fps footage that they posted two days ago?

Not sure if serious. Last gen Xbox had crappy ddr3 68gb/sec compared to PS5 gddr5 176gb/sec. That is actually what made the difference. PS3 had split memory and complicated architecture also gave 360 advantage especially early on. This gen they both are evenly matched. May be PS5 will have some 20% less pixels. 1900P compared to 2160P or something.
The comparison that always get made here, is that differences will be much smaller than xbone x - ps4pro
Like those 1.8 teraflops difference will be less important here, because before it was 6 - 4.2 while now it is 12.15 - 10.28
This is a false narrative of course. Other than the 2tf difference, we have various other things specifying overall performance, some of them I have listed various times.

FranXico

The comparison that always get made here, is that differences will be much smaller than xbone x - ps4pro
Like those 1.8 teraflops difference will be less important here, because before it was 6 - 4.2 while now it is 12.15 - 10.28
This is a false narrative of course. Other than the 2tf difference, we have various other things specifying overall performance, some of them I have listed various times.
And those other differences you listed were also larger before, not only the TF.

The Xbox Series S and Xbox Series X will sell out also. I do not believe it will have the same chaotic outcome as the PS5, but it will deplete the reserve allocations.

When I was at GameStop, we still sold out of Xbox One reservations on Day 1, but not at the clip we did on PS4. And that was before Microsoft reversed course on their restrictions, plus having a higher price tag.

Series S will be the hot ticket due to price, but it will be EXCEEDINGLY limited. I don't expect more than a handful available of those.

Retailers(even big box, but especially GameStop) don't want to order many, because there's nothing to gain from selling you one.

They gain little additional revenueand profit margin on these systems are negligible at best(I believe it was 5-15% at GameStop if I recall right). That is why most GameStops got so few PS5DE. My old boss' store got only two. Two.

And those other differences you listed were also larger before, not only the TF.
the theoretical target resolution remains the same from xbone/ps4pro to xsx/ps5.
a 2tf gap while this is accompanied with bigger number of CUs, bigger bandwidth, and unknown variable clocks behavior and unknown featureset of rdna2 on ps5's part do not call for "difference this time will be minimal", let alone "ps5 will be better" that is also another common narrative.
actually it is very easy to understand, but for some reason every few days the same narratives come back again in this "analysis" thread.
that's why I said so long ago that this is like groundhog day.

zaitsu

Banned
Plottwist
Shark= Aaron

Frankly, the PS5 being sold out left and right doesn't surprise me. The PS4 has sold about 100 millilon units and the PS5 begins with 10 million. That means only 1 out of 10 PS gamers are getting theirs day one. It's going to be a slaughter and expect many scumbags on E-Bay making a quick buck by selling their pre-ordered PS5s for 1000-2000 euros/dollars. Some are even proudly admitting they're resorting to this tactic.

Resellers are a bane on things like this...I always hated them. You always knew who they were on reservation day.

They'd order a system alone, pay with an absurdly "platinum" card(some cards even straight up had eBay emblazoned on it) and find roundabout ways to ask about nearby stores so they could go there and use a different card and name to order.

HawarMiran

Banned
Frankly, the PS5 being sold out left and right doesn't surprise me. The PS4 has sold about 100 millilon units and the PS5 begins with 10 million. That means only 1 out of 10 PS gamers are getting theirs day one. It's going to be a slaughter and expect many scumbags on E-Bay making a quick buck by selling their pre-ordered PS5s for 1000-2000 euros/dollars. Some are even proudly admitting they're resorting to this tactic.

zaitsu

Banned
the theoretical target resolution remains the same from xbone/ps4pro to xsx/ps5.
a 2tf gap while this is accompanied with bigger number of CUs, bigger bandwidth, and unknown variable clocks behavior and unknown featureset of rdna2 on ps5's part do not call for "difference this time will be minimal", let alone "ps5 will be better" that is also another common narrative.
actually it is very easy to understand, but for some reason every few days the same narratives come back again in this "analysis" thread.
that's why I said so long ago that this is like groundhog day.
I think most of us here knows that XSX will play multiplatforms better. But delta won't be larger than between PRO and X, and even that was small enough to make X obsolete resolution machine.
We care about games mostly. And not just any games. BEST games.
Sony has history of having best exclusives, they want to stay this way. Thats why their games will be pricy. To maintain quality. On the other hand MS will also have exclusives just not in next 2 or 3 years, and their budget will be strictly limited because they wont get f69$ from their sale like Sony, but not even full 59$. Because all their games will be free in gamepass. And its sweet. But common netflix also has their megahits, some were good. But none of them was blockbuster ever.
So MS will be serving 7-8/10 games for free and thats good !
But Sony will deliver even more GOTY contenders every year due higher revenue from their sales and continue to grow them as big as possible. Santa monica is so big right now they can shit game every 3 years. Insomniacs are so big that if whole studio would working on same project they could shit one game every 2 years. Same thing in ND.

Xbox with series X ( not S i despise that shit) and gamepass is really looking good for most casual players.

But im not one of them.

I want the best.

And those games are only from Rockstar and Sony. I'm sorry but thats the truth.

DaGwaphics

It will be interesting to see if XSX/XSS can repeat this success I’ve been pretty confident in saying that I don’t even expect it to be hard to land one next week

I've never been a big fan of scarcity as a way to represent demand, even though there is some evidence that it does have some impact on the psychological level. The goal should be to have a unit for everyone that wants one, at the end of the day it's the actual sales that matter. With that said, who knows how limited Xbox supplies will be in the "covid" world we now live in.

I've never been a big fan of scarcity as a way to represent demand, even though there is some evidence that it does have some impact on the psychological level. The goal should be to have a unit for everyone that wants one, at the end of the day it's the actual sales that matter. With that said, who knows how limited Xbox supplies will be in the "covid" world we now live in.

It's impossible to produce that many units so quickly. I can't recall how many Xbox units there will be, but we'll see next week how quickly they move. I won't be purchasing an Xbox at this stage but I'll probably mock buy to see how hard or easy it was compared to Playstation.

Neo_game

The difference between the X and Pro was obviously much bigger. It had more than 50% bandwidth advantage, the difference between CU was only 4, not know why Pro was clocked so less. But even GPU there was some 40% difference between the two. I know some your theories about variable clock and why clockspeed above 2ghz won't matter etc ... To me it seems more like a wishful thinking than anything else. 🤷‍♂️

I admit--I didn't expect Sony to come out swinging with both Demon's Souls and Spider-Man as launch titles. Those make for some killer titles.

Did Ratchet ever get a definitive date? I wonder if it could be confirmed for launch at a later date.

DaGwaphics

It's impossible to produce that many units so quickly. I can't recall how many Xbox units there will be, but we'll see next week how quickly they move. I won't be purchasing an Xbox at this stage but I'll probably mock buy to see how hard or easy it was compared to Playstation.

It won't be possible to compare the two scenarios in a meaningful way without knowing the exact unit commitments of both platforms. If one platform has twice the available commitment, that is going to change basic availability. It doesn't even matter which brand is which in this scenario. For example, Xbox demand could be absolute rubbish, but you wouldn't even notice that if they only commit 1/4 of the units Sony does. The only meaningful comparisons that can be made is in final sales numbers. How many minutes it takes for a store to get sold out (when we don't even know how much stock was available) is meaningless.

sircaw

Banned
That potter game got me hyped lol. It’s so weird that it looked like a mash up of current and next gen but it’s got huge potential!

I watched it again and there are some places where it looks gorgeous others it looks a bit humm rough>?. I remember talking to Darklor01 Darklor01 the other night after the show and we are both super interested.

all in all, it looks like a game that has one of the most important things needed in it to succeed, FUN.

fingers crossed it delivers, its got mega promise.

PSX

For people who will play PS5 on monitor 1440P like me, don't worry about 2.1 HDM.

here is a chart to explain the capability.

aLbbW58.jpg

Last edited:

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I watched it again and there are some places where it looks gorgeous others it looks a bit humm rough>?. I remember talking to Darklor01 Darklor01 the other night after the show and we are both super interested.

all in all, it looks like a game that has one of the most important things needed in it to succeed, FUN.

fingers crossed it delivers, its got mega promise.

I need to rewatch the 4K trailers. I think I was looking forward to a movie based game, but, in the end I think I like that it’s not characters from the movie. It’s you in that world.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom