• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

So an American football team automatically wins the Super Bowl just because they spent the most amount of money on free agency?

Daniel Snyder thinks yes, yes, yes.

You can't ignore the fact that the Xbot fam is winning more and more as of late. We may be a small army, but we are being well served by our GP.

Lampard

Neo Member
just realised that I can play any bc game on xbseries X with enhancements, my whole library will load much faster, run at higher resolution and FPS, no additional cost, and with ps5, to experience improvements I have to buy games (For $70) I already own again to experience these improvements and no game saves will transfer?

serious question; Why Sony didnt show how bc games will run on ps5? Why Sony didn’t show official loading speed demos(I am ignoring that out of context leak, which seems was from the remaster version of the game)? No UI, no tear down, I would like to see loudness test as well.

What your argument boils down to then is Xbox Series X is a glorified emulator (I'm over simplifying on purpose) and the PS5 (At the very least) has shown what next gen can potentially look like from first party studios. Where are Xbox Series X next gen games? Where is the gameplay? Where is the loading for NEW games?... I mean any idiot can present these questions. Each company is doing their own thing.

Some people want to play their back catalogue with some enhancements and some want to move on to the next gen, nothing wrong with either (I'd like both TBH) but clearly Sony doesn't need to do a UI showcase or tear down to move their product. Also the loading screen stuff is nonsense, looking at what was seen with Xbox, couldn't the be assumption made the PS5 will be faster (LOADING) on specs alone? (Also guessing, I don't know tech).

Posts like this are what keep me away from this thread now, childish BS consoles wars. Play what you want and quit the dick measuring (sorry for my language mods).

(As an aside before you call me a fanboi of sorts, I have both systems pre-ordered.)

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
What are you favourite Xbox exclusives over the last year? Like games you think are amazing and must plays? Genuinely interested in hearing.
New? Ori obviously, and Grounded was fun.
Old. I've started Halo MCC again as a built up to Infinite.

But last year, my most played game was 3rd party, Apex Legends.

Xbox Series became bestsellers on Amazon

welshrat

ATARI 800XL -> AMIGA 500 -> AMIGA 1200 -> PC -> PS1 + PC -> PS2 + PC-> XBOX 360 + PC + PS3 -> PC + PS4 -> XBOX ONE X + PS4 PRO + PC + SWITCH -> PC + PS5 + ?

Must add I always sold the xbox's mid way through as they were not used although did rebuy a 360 elite :)

MistBreeze

guys just a thought

If we assume that sony direction is to sell hardware first and games in full price and games that takes hundreds of millions to develop

and microsoft to gamepss" net flex " ing the game industry

do u think major publishers: ea, activison , square , capcom , 2k

side with microsoft or sony?

Last edited:
Daniel Snyder thinks yes, yes, yes.

You can't ignore the fact that the Xbot fam is winning more and more as of late. We may be a small army, but we are being well served by our GP.
Winning what, exactly? Headlines? Or are they winning in terms of execution?

A football team could sign the best free agent in the league, but that means shit if they can't figure out a way how to incorporate him into the playcalling. Same idea applies here. To give Microsoft credit, at least they are not Dan Snyder-ing Bethesda.

Redlight

You do know there's plenty of people using US accounts to take advantage of a cheap dollar conversion and no VAT? Especially for digital purchases...

I'm not naming any names............................... :messenger_sunglasses:
I'm sure the mysterious person you refer to is not alone. :)

I only posted what I found quickly after someone asked the question. I'm quite open to alternative stats that prove something else.

Shio

Could be fixed rather easily. Disable trophies if you continue on a saved game - enable trophies if you start a new game. I suspect there's something else at play (as in, policies from Sony, incompability between the platforms or w/e).
True, it's funny to be honest, on one hand you have sony seamingly holding back next gen games to support the older PS4 whilst on the other hand letting the old gen go to allow the next gen stuff to be fully appreciated (spiderman), kind of mixed messages..

DaGwaphics

Winning what, exactly? Headlines? Or are they winning in terms of execution?

GP users are "winning" a lot more "free" games in GP. Many in the very short-term (the Zeni back catalog) and the promise more new software in the future. This plus the addition of EA play and my decision whether or not to keep GP (I'd been on the fence a bit) is basically made for me.

PSX

Series S is still available. It's been 24 hours.

IS2ks0B.jpg

The news is specifically big for PlayStation fans. Truth is nothing has changed for PC and Xbox fans, or rather the only thing that has changed for them is knowing they will be able to play those games through Gamepass.

It’s such an aggressive, industry shaking move. Discussion and debate around it is warranted. From multiple POVs.

Microsoft clearly isn’t fucking around with gamepass, so that will be interesting to see develop. I can’t complain too much, I’m going to get my cut out of all of this, but still, there’s a level of perversion in this deal that is typical from an American tech company. Halo, Gears of War, Minecraft , RARE ips and now ZeniMax, it’s incredible how every big IP they own aside from a couple of exceptions, was bought instead of built. But hey, that’s business.

That said, just like the gift that paid online was, Gamepass success will be another MS gift. I wonder what it will mean for the price of Xbox first party games, in the sense that there will be little to no incentive to sell them at large discounts after they are on the market for a minute. Keep the prices up, convince people to rent them via Gamepass instead.

But my biggest problem are these morons in the games media, who keep making their little narratives and being a bunch of hypocrites. The way English speaking media codes the language is too much. See you can apparently play games for free through Gamepass, you gonna get all those games for FREE. Actually it’s a rental service you pay for thank you very much. Sony locking out a userbase from a game for a period of time or a character is anti consumer, but when MS buys Bethesda for 7.5 billy, they are not only saving them(lol) but they are also going to shower their IPs for FREE.
Nothing changed for me as Playstation fan. TBF, ES and Fallout aren't playable on playstation (or on consoles in general). I played Skyrim and Fallout 3 and 4 and new vegas all on PC. Actually I consider Bethesda games PC exclusives. Also, they are the only games I play on PC and nothing released since 2015. Hence, I haven't gamed on PC for a while and still haven't upgrafed my rig with old GTX 970 🤣.

Xbox is a platform. You've got consoles (XSS/XSX), PC, and mobile. On all 3 of these you can get Game Pass, which includes xCloud. That's what they are selling. They said 100x we don't care where you game, as long as you play our games or use our subscription service. That's what they are selling. Selling consoles is just one possible device you can play their games on, but it's not what makes Xbox successful.

It is good for the consumer no doubt about that and I was going to comment saying I don’t think this will be good on the long run due to X amount of reasons stated many times, but I will just wait and watch this space.

we will only know come end of the new generation if it has been a success, and the sort of titles they’ve invested over the years be it filler stuff or AAA games.

Thirty7ven

Banned
Nothing changed for me as Playstation fan. TBF, ES and Fallout aren't playable on playstation (or on consoles in general). I played Skyrim and Fallout 3 and 4 and new vegas all on PC. Actually I consider Bethesda games PC exclusives. Also, they are the only games I play on PC and nothing released since 2015. Hence, I haven't gamed on PC for a while and still haven't upgrafed my rig with old GTX 970 🤣.

Doom, Wolfenstein, Fallout, ES. Sure you might not want to play these on a console, but many will.

Obviously, this isn’t FIFA we are talking about, but these are big IPs.

Come on no, its expensive.

Those who already played it and have the game (like myself) should get a free update with all the bells and whistles You would expect, or pau an extra simolic price, like 1.99 dollars, If they want to make some cash out of It.

I have no interest on playing the Spiderman released PS4 enough to pay that extra money.

Your not entitled to a free upgrade. No one is. Its nice company's do it. But they don't have to. You bought the game on PS4. The PS5 version is an upgraded game with work being done to it. That's a different version.

You expect people to spend time upgrading games & not get paid for it?? Do you do extra work for free??

All these companys pull this shit of every new gen. Best policy is pay no one. Buy the next gen games and move on.

Vae_Victis

Banned
How cute. Music lovers used to say that too. :messenger_smiling_hearts:
Why does the idea of a complete upheaval of an entire industry brought about by one (or 2-3 at best, if Apple and Amazon decide to play too) mega company through money they did not even earn in the industry itself (so it's not a consequence of the validation of their business model in the gaming market), with dubious at best long-term effects for the customer (accentration to fewer publishers, less option for spending your money and less direct agency on what your money ends up funding in the end, uncertainty of the long-term sustainability of the model itself that could potentially lead to a crash etc.), give you such a boner?

Zheph

Why does the idea of a complete upheaval of an entire industry brought about by one (or 2-3 at best, if Apple and Amazon decide to play too) mega company through money they did not even earn in the industry itself (so it's not a consequence of the validation of their business model in the gaming market), with dubious at best long-term effects for the customer (accentration to fewer publishers, less option for spending your money and less direct agency on what your money ends up funding in the end, uncertainty of the long-term sustainability of the model itself that could potentially lead to a crash etc.), give you such a boner?
the logo on top of it, if you play on Xbox, you have to advocate for sub services no matter what. Know the rules god dammit!

DaGwaphics

The bigger question is what does the current model get me? It looks like I get a handful (in the scheme of things) of quality original titles from platform holders amidst a sea of sequels and tired ideas. Brought to me by an industry paralyzed by by the state of being perpetually one missfire away from bankruptcy. 🤷‍♂️

Is the above hyperbolic? Certainly, but so is your take. :messenger_winking:

Last edited:
Because he sees the low number next to the dollar sign and doesn't think about how cost is more than just the money you spend.

Arkam

Cool. I much prefer ownership.
Right there with you! I think sub services are cool as filler content. But it is never the main course. Catalogs are always changing which is great for variety and finding "something to play".... sucks for having what i want when I want it. And worse, when you stop paying, you stop playing. 10 years in after paying over a $1k, you stop paying that fee and you get a big fat NOTHING. So sure Ill pay $60/year for a PS Now in the place of one of (the 5-6 new) games I buy a year. If it jumped to $100+ it would be dropped like a rock. Just not worth it to me.

Redlight

And do you think Sony will stand there and watch their end and do nothing? well guys it's our end let's go home!
No, they're not idiots. I expect Sony to take action and align themselves with a future that seems all but inevitable.

I'm sure the mysterious person you refer to is not alone. :)

I only posted what I found quickly after someone asked the question. I'm quite open to alternative stats that prove something else.
I think someone else pointed out, but you should really be looking into combined figures of the EU Market and contrast with the US one. Also would be interesting to factor in if that counts digital and PC gaming (as PC gaming is much more popular in EU and Asia than the US).

Redlight

I think someone else pointed out, but you should really be looking into combined figures of the EU Market and contrast with the US one. Also would be interesting to factor in if that counts digital and PC gaming (as PC gaming is much more popular in EU and Asia than the US).
I've done my bit, so I won't be 'looking into' anything. You and 'someone else' are perfectly entitled to look up alternate figures until the end of time. I'm not your runner.

I pretty much agree with the first part of your post, Bethesda games really are just PC games with consoles tacked on. I think the only Bethesda (or Zenimax) game I played on console was Dishonored 2. Did it for the platinum, normally would just play it on PC.

Wait until end of October and treat yourself to a new RDNA 2 GPU please ;)

I've done my bit, so I won't be 'looking into' anything. You and 'someone else' are perfectly entitled to look up alternate figures until the end of time. I'm not your runner.
I said in your own stats, don't break down by country, just check how much is the whole EU market combined to actually take any value from it.

Or don't, up to you really, just trying to help out :)

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
There is a really cool feature available on Game Pass, you can actually BUY the games you want to own, in fact you even get a discount on them as a GP member.

Thats my biggest draw to Game Pass is I can try those games first.

Coming from someone who gets vertigo easy I cant tell you how many times I have purchased a game only for the camera movement to make me sick.

Plus I am that guy that I have purchased several games from Game Pass that I loved because I want to give support to those Devs.

Game Pass is becoming a huge value and that is coming from me a Sony fan who bought the XsX and not the PS5 (yet anyhow)

Edit for new link:

Last edited:

SynTha1

Its really sad that Xbox fans don't even see how Microsoft is destroying this beloved industry that we all love it really hurts to see this bullshit smdh. If Microsoft gets their way and they become the market leader it will be the end of the video game industry as we know it and that will be a sad day to see.

DrDamn

guys just a thought

If we assume that sony direction is to sell hardware first and games in full price and games that takes hundreds of millions to develop

and microsoft to gamepss" net flex " ing the game industry

do u think major publishers: ea, activison , square , capcom , 2k

side with microsoft or sony?

They will hedge bets and see where they can make the most money. Either that or whoever buys them :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom