• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

ethomaz

Banned
>i just want to play new games

>oh shit Demon Souls and Metal Gear Solid! So hyped.

True
I actually not playing Demon's Souls again unless there some big changes like a new entry level.
I thought it people knew that because I posted that in the demon's souls thread.

Said that for these that never played it... well it is my GOTG for PS360... and imo superior to Dark Souls.

I should be more excited about a Death Stranding 2 than a MGS remake too.

I'm not against remake or remasters but it has really a low weight if I already played them.
Of course a remaster/remake of some game I never played is more interesting.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
The bigger question is what does the current model get me? It looks like I get a handful (in the scheme of things) of quality original titles from platform holders amidst a sea of sequels and tired ideas. Brought to me by an industry paralyzed by by the state of being perpetually one missfire away from bankruptcy. 🤷‍♂️

Is the above hyperbolic? Certainly, but so is your take. :messenger_winking:
And how does a game pass model make it better? What makes you think than entrusting a service provider with your money in advance, and putting a good portion of the consumers in the habit of getting what they are given, possibly with a monopoly managing it all at the top, will result in better games, and not simply the same games as today, or even worse games?

You did not answer the question, you just kicked the can down the road. "Why do you want that?" "Because I think it's better" Yeah that's kind of implicit in you wanting it, but why and how is it better?

Last edited:

Ptarmiganx2

Damn, imagine if Microsoft starts buying more publishers to have a lot of big names on their service day one. That could be the solution to what is said about how some publishers don't want to put their games on Gamepass on day one.

lK8RUGq.jpg
That would be financial suicide. Game Pass is not a money maker. Adding tons of expensive titles isn't going to fix the problem.

Sinthor

Gold Member
Thats my biggest draw to Game Pass is I can try those games first.

Coming from someone who gets vertigo easy I cant tell you how many times I have purchased a game only for the camera movement to make me sick.

Plus I am that guy that I have purchased several games from Game Pass that I loved because I want to give support to those Devs.

Game Pass is becoming a huge value and that is coming from me a Sony fan who bought the XsX and not the PS5 (yet anyhow)

Edit for new link:

HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4
Just a note on what you said about getting dizzy with some games....maybe this will help. I've noticed that if I haven't played a first person shooter or other first person game for a while that when I DO....after a while it sometimes starts making me feel ill. I've asked around with all the IT personnel I work with and I've found that a LOT of people say the same thing. All of them are over 30...so I'm not sure if it has something to do with age, but it seems to. NONE of the 20 somethings say they have this issue and I never had the issue before either. I think it's a tad age related but also since we're playing on such big TV's that's much different from smaller TV's and monitors that we used to use.

In any case, my issue seems to go away after a few days. It's like I get acclimated to it. Until I DO get acclimated, I found these things called "Sea Bands" that you can buy at Walgreens or CVS. They are just little bands that go on your wrists...only about half and inch wide. Stretchy so easily slip on and off. They actually REALLY help. If it's really bad, I might want to take a dramamine prior to playing. But again, after a few days of playing an hour or two a day, this issue goes away for me and then I don't need the Sea Bands or anything else. If I stop playing FPS type games for a few months or a year...I'll start getting sick again when I go back. Very strange.

But anyway, hope that maybe can help you and anyone else who gets this issue. It's apparently very common and even has a name now. The guesses are that the big TV's plus some age factors are what has made this 'condition' come to light more.

FunkMiller

Like the premiere PS5 title Demon's Souls?

;)

(I'm excited for Demon's Souls because I've never played it... also excited for PS5 BC because it should remove most load times from many PS4 games and I'll play some I missed)

Demon’s Souls is a really weird one.

On the one hand it is a remake of an eleven year old game, but hardly anyone actually played that game, and absolutely everything about it has been remade from the ground up, with possible extras.

Its a brand new game for all but a small selection of the audience.

Is there a possibility of seeing Sony and Microsoft joining hands with a uniform gaming hardware next next gen? I mean there's no point in either party competing. Just join hands, and also pull in Nintendo. The holy trinity of video games delivering amazing content for several hundred million + gamers!

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
HeisenbergFX4 HeisenbergFX4
Just a note on what you said about getting dizzy with some games....maybe this will help. I've noticed that if I haven't played a first person shooter or other first person game for a while that when I DO....after a while it sometimes starts making me feel ill. I've asked around with all the IT personnel I work with and I've found that a LOT of people say the same thing. All of them are over 30...so I'm not sure if it has something to do with age, but it seems to. NONE of the 20 somethings say they have this issue and I never had the issue before either. I think it's a tad age related but also since we're playing on such big TV's that's much different from smaller TV's and monitors that we used to use.

In any case, my issue seems to go away after a few days. It's like I get acclimated to it. Until I DO get acclimated, I found these things called "Sea Bands" that you can buy at Walgreens or CVS. They are just little bands that go on your wrists...only about half and inch wide. Stretchy so easily slip on and off. They actually REALLY help. If it's really bad, I might want to take a dramamine prior to playing. But again, after a few days of playing an hour or two a day, this issue goes away for me and then I don't need the Sea Bands or anything else. If I stop playing FPS type games for a few months or a year...I'll start getting sick again when I go back. Very strange.

But anyway, hope that maybe can help you and anyone else who gets this issue. It's apparently very common and even has a name now. The guesses are that the big TV's plus some age factors are what has made this 'condition' come to light more.

Its funny you mention those bands as I have tried those along with about anything else I could find.

I do agree it has gotten worse the older I get now being over 50.

Its really odd what triggers my vertigo its all about how the camera moves. If the camera is more fixed and doesnt move on its own I seem to do better.

I have wondered about the size as well of my screen and have tried switching between my 27" monitor and up to a 77" OLED and it doesnt seem to help much.

When a game doesnt bother too bad it does seem that I can get acclimated to it. But some games really trigger bouts of vertigo within minutes and when that used to happen most times I was stuck taking a huge beating in price trading it back in.

Love that Steam gives me an hour to try games.

just realised that I can play any bc game on xbseries X with enhancements, my whole library will load much faster, run at higher resolution and FPS, no additional cost, and with ps5, to experience improvements I have to buy games (For $70) I already own again to experience these improvements and no game saves will transfer?

serious question; Why Sony didnt show how bc games will run on ps5? Why Sony didn’t show official loading speed demos(I am ignoring that out of context leak, which seems was from the remaster version of the game)? No UI, no tear down, I would like to see loudness test as well.

Microsoft showed all that because they didn't have anything else to show but just that, regurgitate the current gen and older gen experiences and how those would look on next gen that's it. Meanwhile Sony was packed to the brim with next gen games to showcase. Once you buy the PS5 and put in your PS4 games, you can see and experience them for yourself. As for the UI and teardown, teardown might be released at the time or just before launch. UI, well even if they didn't show it, what's bad about it? Don't you want to feel surprised and get that feeling of seeing something new and fresh for the first time when you unbox your console and plug it in your tv?

Andodalf

Banned
Microsoft showed all that because they didn't have anything else to show but just that, regurgitate the current gen and older gen experiences and how those would look on next gen that's it. Meanwhile Sony was packed to the brim with next gen games to showcase. Once you buy the PS5 and put in your PS4 games, you can see and experience them for yourself. As for the UI and teardown, teardown might be released at the time or just before launch. UI, well even if they didn't show it, what's bad about it? Don't you want to feel surprised and get that feeling of seeing something new and fresh for the first time when you unbox your console and plug it in your tv?

Sony has one PS4 game's expansion and new graphics for one PS3 game. I'd take blanket improvements for every PS4 game and the ability to play more than one PS3 game over those 2 games every day. Especially if they were automatic with no cost to me, like MS's BC

Sinthor

Gold Member
Its funny you mention those bands as I have tried those along with about anything else I could find.

I do agree it has gotten worse the older I get now being over 50.

Its really odd what triggers my vertigo its all about how the camera moves. If the camera is more fixed and doesnt move on its own I seem to do better.

I have wondered about the size as well of my screen and have tried switching between my 27" monitor and up to a 77" OLED and it doesnt seem to help much.

When a game doesnt bother too bad it does seem that I can get acclimated to it. But some games really trigger bouts of vertigo within minutes and when that used to happen most times I was stuck taking a huge beating in price trading it back in.

Love that Steam gives me an hour to try games.

Yep. Sounds similar. That's why I've had to use dramamine sometimes as well. I wouldn't bother if the issue didn't seem to go away after a few days of playing again...but yeah...some games it only takes about 10 minutes and I start feeling queasy. Go figure. Well, different things work for different folks. The funny thing is that when I was younger, even being put in things like those 360 degree trainers that pilots and the astronauts used, wouldn't make me sick. NEVER got motion sickness. But somewhere over 30.... Video games are my 'Achilles heel' I guess. :)

Edit- Just have to add that this issue does succeed in making me feel like I'm old as fuuuuuuuuuck! lol

Last edited:

BoxFresh123

Isn't Sega is a publicly traded company? would we not know this was happening already if they were about to announce it in a couple of days?

I'm inclined to believe that there will be some sort of game pass announcement with SEGA though.

ethomaz

Banned
Demon’s Souls is a really weird one.

On the one hand it is a remake of an eleven year old game, but hardly anyone actually played that game, and absolutely everything about it has been remade from the ground up, with possible extras.

Its a brand new game for all but a small selection of the audience.
I believe it sales were like 900k total... I have to buy a second hand copy because there is no new anymore (that in 2010).

Sony has one PS4 game's expansion and new graphics for one PS3 game. I'd take blanket improvements for every PS4 game and the ability to play more than one PS3 game over those 2 games every day. Especially if they were automatic with no cost to me, like MS's BC

Spider-Man remaster is a remaster. You can always play your PS4 Spider-Man on your PS5 at no extra charge as long as you own Spider-Man. The PS3 game is remade and looks glorious. Ratchet and Clank Rift Apart looks dope as hell showing a glimpse at the possibilities of SSD in the PS5. FFXVI looked promising.

I actually not playing Demon's Souls again unless there some big changes like a new entry level.
I thought it people knew that because I posted that in the demon's souls thread.

Said that for these that never played it... well it is my GOTG for PS360... and imo superior to Dark Souls.

I should be more excited about a Death Stranding 2 than a MGS remake too.

I'm not against remake or remasters but it has really a low weight if I already played them.
Of course a remaster/remake of some game I never played is more interesting.
I agree 100%

Demon Souls was my PS3 game of the generation. Groundbreaking, better than Dark Souls, stunning in its scope and uniqueness. But it's still a PS3 title being repackaged, recolored and sold to us. And I'm buying it. But it's nothing new.

I think Sony's (and the industry in general but Sony specifically) recent obsession with remakes is very sad. Everybody clamoring for Mass Effect 1-3 remastered. Why? I played those games, I had those experiences. And yes, having them again at an increased fidelity would be fun but not as fun as a NEW experience, a NEW Mass Effect WOW moment. Recycling old ideas to me is a sign of a lack of new ideas. Especially in games that are primarily singleplayer. It's one thing if the game has a beloved and successful multiplayer component. That changes it a BIT for me but not a lot.

We'll see going forward.

FunkMiller

I believe it sales were like 900k total... I have to buy a second hand copy because there is no new anymore (that in 2010).

It‘s going to sell a hell of a lot of copies. Over thirty million sales for From Sotware’s other games, and they're all critically acclaimed.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
It‘s going to sell a hell of a lot of copies. Over thirty million people have bought From Sotware’s other games, and they're all critically acclaimed.
Yeap the user base grew a lot though the years.

I was just saying the print of the game were very small.
It was a weird case of demand > number of copies being sold.
Gamestop used to sell it used at $90 in 2010.

Remember in 2009 Sony games did not launch in digital form.

Last edited:

kyliethicc

I really wonder, how Microsoft gonna scoop back that 7.5 billions from customers, it didn't fall from the sky, someone has to pay. Also, i don't like their Netflix gaming strategy future. High quality blockbuster contents and Subscription quality contents don't come together, something has to be compromised.
They have over 100 billion in cash. They are losing hundreds of millions just to inflation alone over the years. They're better off just spending it. Corps that wealthy and cash rich can literally justify just spending a few billion to avoid letting the money de-value.

But of course they're assuming they'll recoup most of it over time with service revenue and merch, licenses, sales, etc.

Dabaus

Banned
Im resigned to the fact the Microsoft may potentially announce an acquisition of sega today. If it does happen i really dont see how sony or even nintendo can counter a company that has near limitless funds that can and is willing to gobble up entire publishers. Its a bleak, beak outlook but im glad xbox fanboys infinite war chest wish came true. If you cant be em, buy em. Buy the whole damn thing.

Im resigned to the fact the Microsoft may potentially announce an acquisition of sega today. If it does happen i really dont see how sony or even nintendo can counter a company that has near limitless funds that can and is willing to gobble up entire publishers. Its a bleak, beak outlook but im glad xbox fanboys infinite war chest wish came true. If you cant be em, buy em. Buy the whole damn thing.
Has there been any corroboration? Because all we have is 4chan which is hit-or-miss. There's also a possibility that Microsoft landed some Xbox/PC exclusivity deal for a few SEGA titles.

Not today, tomorrow.

And I highly doubt it. Partnership maybe or maybe more Sega titles coming to Xbox's ecosystem but another acquisition seems so far fetched. Xbox would be growing way too quick. They need to integrate and work with Bethesda for the next 2-3 years MINIMUM to iron out how things will work before adding new studios. And I hope they don't go any further. This was enough consolidation for my tastes (too much tbh) for a long time on their part. Sony on the other hand has some room to grow and I think they would do very well to snap up 1-2 studios like Bluepoint who have proven themselves now for awhile.

Oh it will be fine. Like how Nintendo survived so far.

MastaKiiLA

Yeah but Persona 6 exclusive to Xbox/Gamepass will push Japan to buy the console and they’ll finally know what is an Xbox.
More likely that it would cause Persona to not sell. I've never seen a single Xbox in any shop in this region, in 5 years. Sega's brand isn't even that big, which is why they would be primed for a sale. On this forum, you'll see Sony fans talk about Persona, but sales of the game peg them at enthusiast levels, not mainstream. For other Sega games, I've only see Yakuza getting a lot of mention, and that is largely a game Xbox fans have been hyping up. Niche titles, and titles that your fanbase were already expecting to get, aren't system sellers. Before MS was said to be buying them, not a single person on this forum had Sega even in their top 10 favorite developers/publishers. I don't even think the most ardent Dreamcast aficionado still rates the company that highly. If MS doesn't buy the company, I expect their profile to drop back down to the non-factor it was prior to the news.

This is hyping up an acquisition because your favored platform is supposed to be making it. Hyping up the girl, after she's become your gf. PS fans will probably do something similar if Bluepoint or Housemarque were acquired too, but it's the same thing. These are solid acquisitions, but these don't move the needle. If the company being acquired wasn't a popular topic of discussion before any announced news, then they're probably not the great get that some will try to claim later. Rockstar? Valve? Epic? Capcom or Square? That's fire. That's a game-changer. Sega, Bluepoint, or Housemarque? Meh. They stand to improve the in-house development, but people aren't lining up outside shops to buy those games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom