• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
I remember I tried Dark Souls, and I got dismantled. Again. And again. And then Bloodborne came out; and the good people of Reddit told me "nah, go ahead and play it! It's so much easier than Dark Souls, basically Bloodborne is for challenged people like you, who cannot play Dark Souls!"

And I drank that Kool Aid, I GULPED it. And they lied, mate, they're all liars. So I ended up looking at long loading screens, pre-patch, in Bloodborne. It was an amazing experience. Scarred my psyche. I went to Gamestop after a week, to give it back, and lady there "Wow! You finished it?!" I died inside.

After a couple of years, I bought it again, digital copy, and stuck with it, I am almost finished with it. While I improved my game, so to speak, it's still pretty harsh. I can only imagine my tears trying to play DS... which is supposedly way more difficult.

But sircaw sircaw can show me how it's done I guess.

the games are so massive to say one is harder than the other is a little unfair.

I think there are sections in the game that are step-ups or get good moments.

bloodborne Farther Gascgonie for example is one of those bosses that you need to respect. to me its the first ok, you get past him, you have what it takes to finish this whole game. i have had friends that have quit at him, raging after 10 goes never to play the game again.

Take Darksouls the original game, when i first played it i was like wtf is this, its easy, i was smashing stuff, yes i came from a hardcore raiding wow guild so it really helped me. But i was tearing through the game then i got to ornstean and smough, well that fight there made me respect the game, they fucked me up royally.

There are moments like this in all these games, some bosses look menacing but are not, some are beyond awful.

Some areas, blighttown etc can be soul destroying, take your time be careful. 1 silly mistake its the whole thing again, that's the killer.

Another thing to consider is don't play these games when your not focused or your tired. Dont come home from a long hard day at work and start bloodborne unless your a vet.

being tired or not focused while trying to play these types of games are going to ruin your night.

but if you do go into these games being half asleep, just looking to fuck around your in for a bad time. these games demand respect, attention span needs to be on point.

xacto

I honestly found the opening part of Bloodbourne to be incredibly difficult. After I got past those bits, however, I found the game to be easier than Dark Souls.

Sekiro on the ohter hand ... yeah, didn't even reach the first boss :|

Same for me, Bloodborne seems to be way easier than Dark Souls. Never tried Sekiro though, waiting for the PS5 to come out. But I heard it's quite difficult.

MistBreeze

Man when I see first day launch line up from first party

I see a diverse line up for launch titles platformer - racing combat- action RPG - open world action adventure

and that's launch day

it is maybe best first party launch for a playstation system ever realy

people preach that !!

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Man when I see first day launch line up from first party

I see a diverse line up for launch titles platformer - racing combat- action RPG - open world action adventure

and that's launch day

it is maybe best first party launch for a playstation system ever realy

people preach that !!

they seem to have a nice variety of games and if they can push our r+c in the first 3-6 months, its a smashing start to the generation.

I think they have got most of their ducks in a row, only thing will be availability, there will be disappointed people this xmas, which is a shame.

kikonawa

so, who is not buying or preordering the series S? i see the console is still up for preorder (belgium, netherlands)
if the sales lack in the future, will MS discontinue the series S?

Mahavastu

so, who is not buying or preordering the series S? i see the console is still up for preorder (belgium, netherlands)
if the sales lack in the future, will MS discontinue the series S?
That would make the devs even more pissed: they would have to do the heavy lifting to support a slow device no one has, maybe 7 years in the future :messenger_winking_tongue:

Just got off the phone with an EB Games rep here in NZ.

PS5 sold out in New Zealand in 30 minutes. Their entire shipment for launch gone in 30 mins. Their next shipment for end of year sold out with an hour. Their allotment for beginning 2021 also sold out.

The rep said It's going to be very hard to get a console until next year and even then they can't guarantee that. WOW !!

Didn't ask about Xbox.

Last edited:

Mahavastu

PS5 sold out in New Zealand in 30 minutes. Their entire shipment for launch gone in 30 mins. Their next shipment for end of year sold out with an hour. Their allotment for beginning 2021 also sold out.

Sounds bad
Did he mentioned numbers, maybe relative to the PS4 launch in 2013?
I am really curios if the fast sell out is because of low numbers or very high demand.

sircaw

Banned

The rep said It's going to be very hard to get a console until next year and even then they can't guarantee that. WOW !!

Didn't ask about Xbox.

that really does suck, what are you doing, what are your plans,

FunkMiller

I remember I tried Dark Souls, and I got dismantled. Again. And again. And then Bloodborne came out; and the good people of Reddit told me "nah, go ahead and play it! It's so much easier than Dark Souls, basically Bloodborne is for challenged people like you, who cannot play Dark Souls!"

And I drank that Kool Aid, I GULPED it. And they lied, mate, they're all liars. So I ended up looking at long loading screens, pre-patch, in Bloodborne. It was an amazing experience. Scarred my psyche. I went to Gamestop after a week, to give it back, and lady there "Wow! You finished it?!" I died inside.

After a couple of years, I bought it again, digital copy, and stuck with it, I am almost finished with it. While I improved my game, so to speak, it's still pretty harsh. I can only imagine my tears trying to play DS... which is supposedly way more difficult.

But sircaw sircaw can show me how it's done I guess.

DS is not more difficult than BB, don’t worry. It has different things about it that are hard, and Ornstein and Smough will haunt your nightmares, but it’s a much more leisurely paced game. Nowhere near as frantic or fast as BB.

Damn... you make it sound like, maybe, I should not try Sekiro after all 😂

Sekiro destroyed me. It’s the only From game I haven’t been back to yet. Waiting on Ps5. It’s quite a step away from the other games in terms of the combat. Far harder for a first run than the others.

Last edited:
Sounds bad
Did he mentioned numbers, maybe relative to the PS4 launch in 2013?
I am really curios if the fast sell out is because of low numbers or very high demand.
She didn't give numbers but said that demand is really high for PS5 and it surprised even Sony.
Xbox Series X is sold out as well. Didn't expand on the numbers there or anything. I didn't bother to ask.

But yeah anyone looking for PS5 at the moment, there's no chance you'll get one this year. The way she was talking sounds like even next year PS5 will be sold out once they get in new shipments.

that really does suck, what are you doing, what are your plans,
I asked about Series S, because that believe it or not is still available to pre-order.
Eh, yeah i'm actually considering that speaker box. I feel dirty now.
I'ts not what i really want and i'm tired of my PS4 Pro and that fucking fan. I know the Series S is gimped but there are some Xbox games that interest me like Forza, Gears and Grounded looks like fun. Sea of Thieves as well and that's about where my interest ends lol.

As for my PS4 Pro: I can't play Modern Warfare without worrying the damn thing is going to come apart. I'm already subscriber to gamepass so i'll just gamepass until i'm blue in the face and can maybe secure a PS5. Luckily the EB Games store will still offer trade-ins so when i want to get PS5, I can trade in this piece of shit PS4 Pro. Love the games, hate the hardware.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
She didn't give numbers but said that demand is really high for PS5 and it surprised even Sony.
Xbox Series X is sold out as well. Didn't expand on the numbers there or anything. I didn't bother to ask.

But yeah anyone looking for PS5 at the moment, there's no chance you'll get one this year. The way she was talking sounds like even next year PS5 will be sold out once they get in new shipments.

I asked about Series S, because that believe it or not is still available to pre-order.
Eh, yeah i'm actually considering that speaker box. I feel dirty now.

I'ts not what i really want and i'm tired of my PS4 Pro and that fucking fan. I can't play Modern Warfare without worrying the damn thing is going to come apart. I'm already subscriber to gamepass so i'll just gamepass until i'm blue in the face and can maybe secure a PS5. Luckily the EB Games store will still offer trade-ins so when i want to get PS5, I can trade in this piece of shit PS4 Pro. Love the games, hate the hardware.

aye its not the best position to be in and its not even your fault. I can totally understand the noise factor it must be annoying.

The good news is you have a plan B, so either way, your sorted which is good.

After all is said in done, just get what you think is the right decision for you, as that is who matters.

PS. Your on my list now. "lollipop_disappointed:

Cmon guys help GAME get rid of this bargain bin console "lollipop_disappointed:

oUAtDnN.png

aye its not the best position to be in and its not even your fault. I can totally understand the noise factor it must be annoying.

The good news is you have a plan B, so either way, your sorted which is good.

After all is said in done, just get what you think is the right decision for you, as that is who matters.

PS. Your on my list now. "lollipop_disappointed:
Whoa what list lol ?

I used to poke fun at the Series S. You can check my post history but now i'm actually considering one. I've got over 100 games invested in the PlayStation ecosystem on my PS4 so i'm not leaving that behind. The Series S will be my console until PS5 demand dies down and i'm able to secure one.

Will still keep my PS4 Pro as a trade-in when i can secure PS5. I was with Xbox before during the Xbox 360 generation and with PS3 as well. So i owned both those consoles. This gen looks likely to be the same for me.

Platinumed Sekiro. There wont be another one. I don't think Activ liked the returns.
Beat Blood Borne. Dark Souls 1 & 3 just sitting in my library. Unplayed can't remember why I didn't buy 2.

From Software need to update their tech.They got work to do a lot of people coming for their space. Godfall pretty much sounds like Elden RIng looks spectacular Don't think the boss fights will be From level ,but we'll see. Even that Chinese dev with the Monkey King trailer is coming for From's spot. DMC will always be DMC so they don't count.

FromSoft got work to do next gen though. Elden Ring must not look great if there's still no game footage. Im still waiting on Platinums Babylons Fall that just disappeared from press. Still waiting on Lost Soul aside.

Just waiting on more hack & slash games.

Gediminas

Banned
Platinumed Sekiro. There wont be another one. I don't think Activ liked the returns.
Beat Blood Borne. Dark Souls 1 & 3 just sitting in my library. Unplayed can't remember why I didn't buy 2.

From Software need to update their tech.They got work to do a lot of people coming for their space. Godfall pretty much sounds like Elden RIng looks spectacular Don't think the boss fights will be From level ,but we'll see. Even that Chinese dev with the Monkey King trailer is coming for From's spot. DMC will always be DMC so they don't count.

FromSoft got work to do next gen though. Elden Ring must not look great if there's still no game footage. Im still waiting on Platinums Babylons Fall that just disappeared from press. Still waiting on Lost Soul aside.

Just waiting on more hack & slash games.
there should be more info about LSA tomorrow.

farmerboy

Maybe its just me, but the lead up to this coming generation has been a very negative build up. Sooo much shade thrown, and much of it just to score some points in an imaginary war. I don't mind a bit of banter, but much of it goes way past that.

And it's easy to feel a bit miffed by the whole thing. Information has been a slow arduous drip feed. Some stuff has been a let down. And so, instead of celebrating, we're busy defending our own little patch from the negativity and naysayers.

But then I see Demon Souls. And this is Bluepoint at launch. When the tech and sdk's mature, what else will they conjure? What about Guerilla, ND and SSM?

And Xbox too. With 12tf, some good IO and plenty of 1st party now part of the stable, you're just being disingenuous if you think we won't see something great there as well.

This coming gen may well be the one that truly matches the dreams I had 35 years ago. Where you were completely drawn into the wonder of it all, much like reading an engrossing book. It will be an amazing gen. I can't wait.

Seeing the demand of PS5 reminds me of my days at GameStop in the heyday of the Nintendo Wii.

I'll never forget the UPS driver slamming his truck down in my store, spinning around and telling the 3 or 4 people that were shadowing him:

"You see these boxes? None of them are the package you seek. I know what it looks like and *I* don't, therefore *he* doesn't have any GODDAMN Wii's!!! Stop following me everywhere I drop off."

Gediminas

Banned
Games normally hit Gone Gold 2 months ahead of release date. Sounds like another delay incoming.
normally it is 3-4 weeks, not 2 months.
they already said it that there is no delay. night city wire still going, new episode announced, marketing goes too.

Last edited:

ZehDon

Gold Member
Lets see if everyone is going to keep that same "energy" when their darling developer does even worse crunch than Naughty Dog.
According to reports, Naughty Dog's staff, present and former, gave scathing accounts that they crunched for an entire year on TLOU2, that their animators had the worst crunch anyone had ever seen or heard of, and ND's crunch is so bad, so prolific, and so well known, that the company is literally unable to hire veteran game animators anymore. They had to resort to hiring film animators just to get TLOU2 done. It has been commented that their staff turn over is not sustainable, as past employees have said they'll never work for the company ever again.

Meanwhile, CD Project Red's staff will have 6 day work weeks for the last 7 weeks of the project, leading up to the release of their game.

Your definition of "worse" needs correcting.

Games normally hit Gone Gold 2 months ahead of release date. Sounds like another delay incoming.
According to the article, they've just sent the game for certification so I don't think it will be delayed again. But I think the game will have a biiig day 1 patch.
In the email, CD Projekt Red studio head Adam Badowski wrote that he was optimistic about the state of Cyberpunk 2077, which stars Keanu Reeves, and that they had just sent the game to be certified for release on Sony Corp.’s PlayStation and Microsoft Corp.’s Xbox. Now, he wrote, it was time to fix the game’s many lingering bugs and glitches.

schaft0620

Not two months but yeah, this is going to become problematic in like 3 weeks and you can't launch a game next to the holidays and new year then close up shop for a break.

Last edited:

realcool

According to reports, Naughty Dog's staff, present and former, gave scathing accounts that they crunched for an entire year on TLOU2, that their animators had the worst crunch anyone had ever seen or heard of, and ND's crunch is so bad, so prolific, and so well known, that the company is literally unable to hire veteran game animators anymore. They had to resort to hiring film animators just to get TLOU2 done. It has been commented that their staff turn over is not sustainable, as past employees have said they'll never work for the company ever again.

Meanwhile, CD Project Red's staff will have 6 day work weeks for the last 7 weeks of the project, leading up to the release of their game.

Your definition of "worse" needs correcting.

CDPR after 7 weeks of crunch when they eventually announce that they need more time:

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom