• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

sircaw

Banned
Nothing so far looks better than Demon's Souls. On top of very high environmental, model and texture detail, light, volumetric smoke, haze, motion blur and particles are used to give an incredible level of depth to the scene. That game looks like CGI in a very strict sense of the term, because it uses a lot of visual techniques that until now were basically impossible outside of CGI for something with this baseline level of detail.

Dragon.jpg

Returnal looks like a current-gen game with all the settings turned to maximum and a good overall visual design. But the scene and the light are still very flat in comparison.

all i know is i see eye candy everywhere, these shots are all so beautiful.

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Here we go again. Delaying the console talk has no basis whatsoever. The initial allocation has flown off the shelves. People want it.

Jesus Christ, it’s like people just plain forget how to read when they come on here. Go look up the meaning of the phrase ‘if that turns out to be the case’. I‘m not suggesting delaying the console, I’m suggesting a hypothetical situation which may never come to pass. Whoa fanboy, whoa!

Great Hair

Banned
??? I think your calculation is wrong.
Wasn't AC Origins 49GiB in size?
4:25 => 265s
(265 / 49) * 200 => 18,...
so it is about 18 minutes. Not 40.

"40min to backup 200GB/Warfare and copy over another 200GB game"
You have to copy back, next time or another game you might be interested.

In short:
get the nvme expansion card, forget about game copying over games all the time via USB.

Orky

Banned
I'm pretty convinced at this stage that Msft know they don't have much to launch the XSX with, and have known this for quite some time. They are going to hang the near future on GamePass, 3rd party, and BC, knowing full well that they will be able to properly respond to Sony's output in eighteen months to a year.

If this turns out to be the case, there will be questions as to why they didn't delay the launch of the console, but they've obviously number crunched, and decided that they can easily get through this rather lean period, with the promise of much more to come.

Weirdly, this is directly the opposite of two generations ago, when 360 was the better console out of the blocks, and it took Sony quite a while to catch up.

XBox could still have some big news to announce of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just about it for the time being - with GamePass and third party being what keeps the fanbase happy.

lol. They have games from four generations and plenty of big third party games are coming out at launch.
Not everyone - especially outside of neogaf - gives a shit about if a game is exclusive to nextgen or not. Seriously.

If we look at how many games are OPTIMIZED for PS5 and XSX then I would say that Xbox has much much more games ready at launch.

Allandor

"40min to backup 200GB/Warfare and copy over another 200GB game"
You have to copy back, next time or another game you might be interested.

In short:
get the nvme expansion card, forget about game copying over games all the time via USB.
ah, ok ^^ somehow I missed that part but still ... the internal nvme has faster write speeds, so we land at 30minutes ... which is still a long time. Copying games are the new loading times.
Would be great if Sony & MS add a copy mode, where you can start the game after the first few gigs and play while it get's copied. Something like they do when you are downloading a game.

And use an external SSD (as cheap as possible) for BC games, so you don't need to copy them. But it get's really chaotic if they get an enhancement patch ....

Last edited:

duhmetree

WTF is going on with Elden Ring and FROMSOFTWARE>?

Sekiro release 18months ago. No updates on Elden Ring...

Are they having development issues? Allegedly development started in early 2017... Going on 4 years... Didn't Bloodborne only take 2.5 years?

I'm jonesin here

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

~That rat smelling xacto xacto has been trying his luck too, he is down to his last couple of lives. dirty fleabag needs to be spade.
Either will do if i am honest, the one from the surgery or the one from my tool-shed, i am not fussy when it comes to the spade option on these overgrown rodents.

And yes lol, WELCOME BACK. somethings never change. :messenger_heart:
I've noticed.
And the ban list is..... Wow!
R.I.P.

Still... I'm not sure I deserve an Xbox Series S this xmas. I haven't been naughty.

Much

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

Are they having development issues? Allegedly development started in early 2017... Going on 4 years... Didn't Bloodborne only take 2.5 years?

I'm jonesin here
It's a brand new ip. A fully open world game.

Bloodborne, Dark souls and sekiro are basically the same type of game with different combat and enemies. The level design is identical and over ten years they got really efficient making those kind of games.

Elden ring is their witcher 3. Fully open world. Their engine most likely had to be redone.

Last edited:

Zathalus

Speaking about good look next-gen games, I wonder if Microsoft is going to have a surprise launch release of Microsoft Flight Simulator on the XSX. It's certainly powerful enough to run at 4k30FPS at a mixture of high/ultra settings.

It would basically set the bar for next-gen games on consoles.

Would be odd if they don't.

Games Dean

Dude its a fan poster with the ps4 kratos model lol

and no, sony has not confirmed if its a ps5 exclusive. the fact that they havent likely means its not.
You keep saying this yet we have someone who's reliable saying you're wrong. Don't know if you have me on ignore or just don't want to acknowledge something that goes against your narrative, but I'll share this with you again. Ahmad is one of the most consistent analyst/insiders and he says it's a PS5 exclusive

I'm jonesin here
They announced it too early. I don't think they even passed pre production.
I hate when companies announce games this early. This reminds me of Cyberpunk 2077.

Falc67

Nothing so far looks better than Demon's Souls. On top of very high environmental, model and texture detail - light, volumetric smoke, haze, motion blur and particles are used to give an incredible level of depth to the scene. That game looks like CGI in a very strict sense of the term, because it uses a lot of visual techniques that until now were basically impossible outside of CGI for something with this baseline level of detail.

Dragon.jpg

Returnal looks like a current-gen game with all the settings turned to maximum and a good overall visual design. But the scene and the light are still very flat in comparison.

I completely agree with this. the more I watch of Demon Souls the more impressed I am.

EjGZeQtX0AAeiMe

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Nobody needs to downplay xbox. They do it to themselves. 1 year hyping 12TF,Raytracing,Velociraptor. End result

UJuLA6S.png

Whats there to discuss?? More waiting? Im a sports guy first. I don't do these ,maybe & Ifs.You are only as good as your last performance. What is there to talk about Xbox?? It has no next gen games. Everything is patch in later ,now its wait til 2023. And now its back to wait till next E3. Xbox guys just waited a whole gen & now its more wait and see. I can't be discussing more waiting. It is ridiculous now.

We are not upset, but... how to say it... you are s$I£ talking right now, not making arguments. I have my preferences on the technical approach as do all people with an opinion, but neither design is shitty, cheap, or to be derided.

There have been threads worth of TONS of HW stuff to talk about, but it is difficult to genuinely start on that when people just reject it out straight like this.

We can talk about the Xbox HW and why SSD’s in consoles are not your typical PC implementation till the cows come home and you may dislike the marketing words added on top of it, but when your distaste for them wears off you will find hard to get a £449 PC with comparable performance without things such as RAM ballooning up well over 16 GB and still a large initial load for starters (why do you think nVIDIA is jumping on the Direct Storage train if it is all fake hype? Are you seriously convinced / read none of the available research [quoted by both MS and Sony... big difference is one company directed more R&D dollars to the GPU in form of wider and higher number crunching power and the other on a more performance I/O setup with a very low CPU overhead and low latency and the rest in designing a high clocking system that would also be quite clever at managing power consumption and ”energy budget” across CPU and GPU upending normal frequency and power management approaches]).

Last edited:

Allandor

Ratchet & Clank won't have a native 4k30 mode. Only dynamic 4k30 and a performance mode that targets 60fps

That's .... quite unexpected. I really expected a 4k30 and dynamic 1440p-4k 60 (e.g. without RT) mode. At least for a title so close to the launch.

ethomaz

Banned
You too?! He blocked me when I replied to your tweet. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
First he blocked me because I put the correct info in reply in his twitter.
After he unblocked me for whatever reason (I did not realize I was unblocked for weeks).
So he read I saying he unblocked me for whatever reason in that own thread.
He blocked me again.

So just posting about him in this thread will trigger his block finger.

PS. I know you are reading it.

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Hey, remember this everybody?

MpJ23E1.jpg

What do you think we will get from him today?

A) Silence
B) Weak excuses
C) Some fake sideways blurry screenshot of a picture with "All PS1, PS2 and PS3 games are playable on PS Now from September 30!" written on it
D) Actual backwards compatibility (in spite of all logic, probability and possibly physics itself, in regards to the PS5 reading CDs)

FranXico

MpJ23E1.jpg

A) Silence
B) Weak excuses
C) Some fake sideways blurry screenshot of a picture with "All PS1, PS2 and PS3 games are playable on PS Now from September 30!" written on it
D) Actual backwards compatibility (in spite of all logic, probability and possibly physics itself, in regards to the PS5 reading CDs)

tenor.gif

zubairali2

MpJ23E1.jpg

A) Silence
B) Weak excuses

this is some good content right here lol

xacto

After becoming the No1 twilight fan in the world i am down for a little blood. :messenger_heart:

Whoever recommended that series to me, you know who you are, you can burn in hell.

The fact that "someone" recommended you the Twilight series and you LAPPED IT UP LIKE IT WAS SHAKESPEARE!!! right? that doesn't exonerate you AT ALL, my aquatic friend.

Vampyr isn't bad at all, if you get used to its camera controls, you kind of have to fight the directional sticks, no matter what settings you use for them. But all in all, not a bad game.

Ratchet & Clank won't have a native 4k30 mode. Only dynamic 4k30 and a performance mode that targets 60fps

That's .... quite unexpected. I really expected a 4k30 and dynamic 1440p-4k 60 (e.g. without RT) mode. At least for a title so close to the launch.

I think they might have worded it incorrectly. Don’t see why the game won’t hit 4k30fps, perhaps ray tracing is too expensive on the GPU and thus a dynamic 4K option.

Orky

Banned

wait. What? The 30fps version is not locked at 4k native. Weird.
What res will the performance mode be then?

MpJ23E1.jpg

A) Silence
B) Weak excuses

tenor.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom