• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Japanese content creators will be able to release their playtime with the PS5. I bet they have already recorded much of their videos

Who knows? We know next to nothing at this point.

Well, the Japanese will surely publish their videos. What we will see, or understand, it’s up to debate.

And make no mistake: the glorious part will not be the content per se, but the war that will bring down NeoGAF. Hence the popcorn!
Don't worry, you will know all the translated info on Twitter before the videos come out.

Great Hair

Banned
Isn't the external drive writing speed the bottleneck here? Which drive did he use?

In his first video a external seagate official XBX ssd, limited to 540MB/s.
In this second video, he used an nvme inside an enclosure, much faster than a sata3 SSD

In both cases, it took 4min 30s+ in total to copy over the 50GB Origins folder. How unlucky, to show off the copy, backup process speed with not one but two external drives that are equally as fast, bad :p

Are you really saying they have intentionally given up showing those 12 TF and gaining mind share after so many events because they want a 'mic drop' moment very close to launch?

Nobody said anything about close to launch, or their reasons. Showing off BC demonstrated the raw power of the machine well enough that the only people who raising concerns are Sony loyalists who likely wouldn't invest in an Xbox anyway.

I'd suggest there's a bit of cat and mouse between Sony and MS to come, as each holds back some big guns to try and steal the other's thunder.

Whatever the reason, my opinion remains that both companies have a road map they are following until launch and that the lacking details on either side is both intentional and will be resolved soon enough.

Last edited by a moderator:

FunkMiller

That's more likely at least. Since DF also said that developers had issues with latest GDK of Microsoft, and that everything was working so well and easy with PS5 I can imagine that at launch games will look better on the PS5. Won't stay like that though.

I'm pretty convinced at this stage that Msft know they don't have much to launch the XSX with, and have known this for quite some time. They are going to hang the near future on GamePass, 3rd party, and BC, knowing full well that they will be able to properly respond to Sony's output in eighteen months to a year.

If this turns out to be the case, there will be questions as to why they didn't delay the launch of the console, but they've obviously number crunched, and decided that they can easily get through this rather lean period, with the promise of much more to come.

Weirdly, this is directly the opposite of two generations ago, when 360 was the better console out of the blocks, and it took Sony quite a while to catch up.

XBox could still have some big news to announce of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just about it for the time being - with GamePass and third party being what keeps the fanbase happy.

Last edited:

Riky

$MSFT
If MS dropped a load of new games then any message about the improvement in older games and the how they work would be drowned out.

I'd expect to see more about older games first, how Series S handles things and what games are getting patched to even higher frame rates and resolutions. Then comparisons between Gears 5 on Series X and S and the X1X and X1S.

There is a lot more to see backwards compatibility wise.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
The impression given off is that there are issues with XSX running next gen games.

I see zero logic to suggest that's ever an impression you'd want to give off, ever, in the marketing cycle of a device.... let alone when the thing is already up for pre-orders.

So the only logical conclusion is that.. the XSX is having trouble running next gen games. Something software related.

edit: Why is this getting laugh reactions when people like Digital Foundry have heard that the GDK is having problems? You know, the software that runs XSX games...

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty convinced at this stage that Msft know they don't have much to launch the XSX with, and have known this for quite some time. They are going to hang the near future on GamePass, 3rd party, and BC, knowing full well that they will be able to properly respond to Sony's output in eighteen months to a year.

If this turns out to be the case, there will be questions as to why they didn't delay the launch of the console, but they've obviously number crunched, and decided that they can easily get through this rather lean period, with the promise of much more to come.

Weirdly, this is directly the opposite of two generations ago, when 360 was the better console out of the blocks, and it took Sony quite a while to catch up.

XBox could still have some big news to announce of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just about it for the time being - with GamePass and third party being what keeps the fanbase happy.
Yeah, I completely agree. Would've been nice to have had Halo at launch, but it is what it is. I wouldn't postpone the launch of the console for that.

2021 will be much better with Starfield (rumoured) and Halo launching. That last one preferably in Q2, so that we can have Starfield Q4.

VinnyMac

43 days ps gents...

41 days xbox gents....

We so close got everything prepared ps5 de,headset,camera

Even tho imma go all digital like I did this gen(now that I think about this my first days gonna be spent downloading 🤣) but definitely getting demons souls, sm:mm (with remaster) and returnal. And honestly might download gtav again🤣

T-Cake

Here we go again. Delaying the console talk has no basis whatsoever. The initial allocation has flown off the shelves. People want it.

sircaw

Banned

The Halo delay really hurt them. That's why they showed that demo in such a poor state, they had nothing else, they put all their eggs into that basket.

If they were going to delay the console they should have thought of that at a much earlier time, once the ball was rolling it was kinda of hard to stop. ( where they going to house all those millions of consoles they made lol)

Regardless, if there are games or not. (and i do think its a colossal fuck up on from Microsoft) Fans who buy the console still get to enjoy all the better performance and frame rates, loading so its good they get their console.
I think Phil spencer suckers Donkey ball's but i don't want normal gamers to be robbed of a nice xmas gaming experience, i am happy its getting released. ( Doncabesa Doncabesa has just gone critical at that comment.)

We all know that. BUT in his first video, he used an SSD external by seagate (XBX), limited to 540MB and in the second video he used an nvme ... both were equally bad, fast (at 185MB or roughly 4min30s).

It´s definitely not the hardware, else he picked two external drives with different internal connections that happen to have the same write speed?

Series X is using USB 3.1 Gen1 with 5Gbps?!
szQCUdX.png

Here is a test with USB with 10Gbps on PC:

Series X is doing half the speed (at least read external and write internal)
So it seems correct, not?

TWXMh56.png

Last edited:
Also, Sony are doing their own Souls and they might expand on it with Bluepoint if DS is a success

Hmm I think its a one done. BP are probably working on another game.

I think you are being unfair here. The BCPack HW decoder, their I/O co-processors, and Direct Storage API are still a key differentiator over PC’s which will brute force it as usual with gazillion more RAM. I think PS5 has a considerably better solution there on the HW side, but Velocity Architecture is not just hype.

Sampler Feedback Streaming, although not a silver bullet, should help more devs get to grip with decent texture streaming and virtual texturing solutions too.

Bruh you are literally who I was talking about. You are talking about Sampler streaming, velocity & all these goofy marketing terms. As far as I'm concerned the XSX is a dud , its a suped up 1X built for current gen models. I am not being unfair when that is what is presented to me. Its going to be a year & the box still has nothing next gen to show. For a year they showed PC footage as their new console gameplay. And the PC footage sucks. They are quick to say 12TF, announce acquisitions. But that XSX gameplay footage is M.I.A.. I have to go on my instincts. Its clear they cant deliver what they are trying to sell. PC will get direct storage & software I/O & all the other marketing crap. Its probably being streamlined for their GDK.

Anyway to much rambling. You have good faith in them ,I hope xbox deliver for you.

LiquidRex

Just a thought... But what if there's a PS5 Teardown that shows all the features under the hood theoretically makes the PS5 the most powerful console, for example RDNA features that are yet to appear outside of RDNA 2... How could Microsoft respond since they've already started marketing the XSX as the world's most Powerful console since July. 🧠

Granted the chances of this happening are next to zero, but I have to say this has been the weirdest console launch to date in my opinion... So anything is possible.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

Still do not understand how the architecture of this console can result in slower internal to external SSD numbers compared with external to internal SSD. I simply do not get it...

Most SSDs can read at a higher sustained speed than they can write, so the writing drive is probably the differentiator in both scenarios. Most consumer NVMe drives overheat during sustained write/read reducing performance. End result, the sustained write speed of the external drive is probably not as good as the XSX SSD. Whether that is up to a limitation of the USB implementation (in the drive itself, or in the usb controller) or just a weakness of the drive in use we don't know.

Last edited:

JonnyMP3

i sense an XBOX UNDER THE CHRISTMAS TREE FOR YOU :messenger_grimmacing_
*Don Mattrick Please No*

I'm already sad enough that my grandma passed away 2 Saturdays ago (That's why I've been away)

Why would you get Santa to fuck me like that?
I mean the Bathesda deal sounds interesting on paper... But I fucking hate Bathesda.
Fuck your Fallout and Elder Scrolls, Todd Howard and Jank!
😢

Someone get Jonny a Series S
You're barred from the next train, Buddy!

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
*Don Mattrick Please No*

I'm already sad enough that5my grandma passed away 2 Saturdays ago (That's why I've been away)

Why would you get Santa to fuck me like that?
I mean the Bathesda deal sounds interesting on paper... But I fucking hate Bathesda.
Fuck your Fallout and Elder Scrolls, Todd Howard and Jank!
😢

Really sorry to hear about you Grandma m8, i was wondering where you had been.

Andodalf

Banned
The impression given off is that there are issues with XSX running next gen games.

I see zero logic to suggest that's ever an impression you'd want to give off, ever, in the marketing cycle of a device.... let alone when the thing is already up for pre-orders.

So the only logical conclusion is that.. the XSX is having trouble running next gen games. Something software related.

edit: Why is this getting laugh reactions when people like Digital Foundry have heard that the GDK is having problems? You know, the software that runs XSX games...

PS has not sent consoles and allowed PS5 OR PS4 Games to be played, so there must be problems with BC and Next Gen games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOW GOOD FIND!

TBiddy

Bruh you are literally who I was talking about. You are talking about Sampler streaming, velocity & all these goofy marketing terms. As far as I'm concerned the XSX is a dud , its a suped up 1X built for current gen models. I am not being unfair when that is what is presented to me. Its going to be a year & the box still has nothing next gen to show. For a year they showed PC footage as their new console gameplay. And the PC footage sucks. They are quick to say 12TF, announce acquisitions. But that XSX gameplay footage is M.I.A.. I have to go on my instincts. Its clear they cant deliver what they are trying to sell. PC will get direct storage & software I/O & all the other marketing crap. Its probably being streamlined for their GDK.

Anyway to much rambling. You have good faith in them ,I hope xbox deliver for you.

You do realise Panajev leans heavily towards Team Blue, right? Your poor attempt to downplay the XSX is just that. Poor.

Elog

You should really all check out all the new screenshots in the PS store. Insane level of detail in those in-game shots. The amount of geometry and texture quality (resolution and amount) is through the roof. Insane! And very nice :)

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
PS has not sent consoles and allowed PS5 OR PS4 Games to be played, so there must be problems with BC and Next Gen games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOW GOOD FIND!
What?

Microsoft hasn't even shown XSX games running on XSX hardware.. not 1st or 3rd party games. Sony has shown numerous games running on PS5 hardware.

I'm not talking about consoles sent to media people.. we actually have no clue if Sony has sent PS5's to the media as they may have, and they could be embargoed for info until a later date.

Anyone not finding it odd that Microsoft has only shown BC running on next-gen hardware a month and a half before it's out is pretty suspect at least... probably a kinda delusional fanboy. And I avoid calling people fanboys usually.. but come on now.

Last edited:

Lysandros

I think you are being unfair here. The BCPack HW decoder, their I/O co-processors, and Direct Storage API are still a key differentiator over PC’s which will brute force it as usual with gazillion more RAM. I think PS5 has a considerably better solution there on the HW side, but Velocity Architecture is not just hype.

Sampler Feedback Streaming, although not a silver bullet, should help more devs get to grip with decent texture streaming and virtual texturing solutions too.
I/O coprocessors?..

More on Returnal here

Manage equipment and resources carefully – every time you die, you restart from the beginning.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Xbox never had a better advocate in its entire history.

I need to check the HotChips presentation but they did not go from 8-9 worth of Zen 2 cores for data moving, unpacking, etc... down to a small fraction of a core with only a HW decompression block. Sorry, I was a bit generic on the actual what I suspected being there to accelerate data streaming off the SSD and into RAM.

sircaw

Banned

More on Returnal here

Have you seen the screen shots on that site, i think those look even better than Demon souls. HOW.

Also--
  • Get back into the action with near-instant load speeds that won’t leave you waiting to restart after you die.
This is what i am talking about, yer baby.

Lysandros

I need to check the HotChips presentation but they did not go from 8-9 worth of Zen 2 cores for data moving, unpacking, etc... down to a small fraction of a core with only a HW decompression block. Sorry, I was a bit generic on the actual what I suspected being there to accelerate data streaming off the SSD and into RAM.
Okay, as far as i know XSX doesn't have anything comparable to I/O coprocessors of PS5.

ethomaz

Banned
Very misledging article.

Sony give an allocation to retailers... retailers thought they could sell more than what Sony could supply.
Sony indeed can't supply the over pre-orders allocation that retail sold.

Why not ask the retailer why it doesn't sold the preorder allocation that Sony give them?

It is easy to retailer because they can put the blame on Sony instead to follow the allocation give to them.

Last edited:

splattered

July 2020 Phil Spencer:
Exclusives Are ‘Completely Counter To What Gaming Is About,’ Xbox’s Phil Spencer Says
September 2020 Phil Spencer:
Making games exclusive to a single console can be incredibly lucrative

Bipolar Disorder?

Well i guess if your company is working on a 7.5 billion dollar acquisition that your competitor may also be interested in, it might not be a bad idea to pretend like you aren't interested in the target yourselves :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom