• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

TrippleA345

A terrible USB controller is in the XSX like Jeff Grubb claims?

At those speeds, it takes up to 40min to backup 200GB/Warfare and copy over another 200GB game. 185MB per second, we are talking slightly better sata1 (150MB+) speeds from 2003.

It could copy it back at nearly twice the speed (345MB/s out of the max. 600MB), no port issue to me. Seems more like Microsoft is pushing the gamer towards the purchase of their seagate expansion nvme, by limiting the speed on non-official drives?

How did you get 40min??

kyliethicc

It's more likely that MS are intentionally stopping reviewers, who have actual Xbox Series X models, from showing anything other than certain things at certain times as part of their road map.

Right now they are only allowed to show BC, but that will be expanded to the UI, then next gen games at a time agreed on with developers (embargoes etc)

DMC5 getting a post-release patch with RT is on the devs, they aren't putting RT on PC at all, for example. Similarly, Halo Infinite was getting an RT update post-release for PC also. If it really is a struggle with the Series X GDK, then it shouldn't be an issue for PC. Other games, however, are confirmed as launching with RT on Series X, such as The Medium.

Your speculation about development issues, are impossible to quantify. They may be true, but I think it's far more likely to suggest that MS hasn't shown much next gen stuff simply because it wants to drip feed the information flow leading up to launch.

I personally feel Sony is also following their own road map, which perhaps is the reverse of that of MS.
Digital Foundry have confirmed the GDK is giving some devs trouble.

DMC5 is launching with RT on PS5, no issue there.

If Xbox had quality game footage, captured on Series X, to show of new games coming out, they would show it.

Last edited:
Let’s go boys
I’m Australian so u have to stand on your head

oytlbiB.jpg

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
I see Gav Odium has on his tin foil hat.
What tin foil hat? That Sony deliberately gives PS5 to celebrities and influencers? I wouldn't call that tin foil hat, but just a marketing strategy of Sony that is pretty normal of them.

At those speeds, it takes up to 40min to backup 200GB/Warfare and copy over another 200GB game. 185MB per second, we are talking slightly better sata1 (150MB+) speeds from 2003.

It could copy it back at nearly twice the speed (345MB/s out of the max. 600MB), no port issue to me. Seems more like Microsoft is pushing the gamer towards the purchase of their seagate expansion nvme, by limiting the speed on non-official drives?
Assassins creed origins is 42GB, so taking that 4.5min, it would only be 22.5min for CoD to backup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Digital Foundry have confirmed the GDK is giving some devs trouble.

DMC5 is launching with RT on PS5, no issue there.

If Xbox had quality game footage, captured on Series X, to show of new games coming out, they would show it.

So much for DF (Richard even!) being an Xbox shill, at least.

What he actually said was that he had heard some Devs found it more difficult because it was a change from the GDK of the Xbox One, while PS5 remained the same as PS4. So some devs found it comparatively more difficult, but that's obvious and doesn't mean it's actually difficult.

As stated, the example for games you provided also rings true for PC. It's on the devs, not the hardware.

I see no reason to suggest either MS or Sony are witholding information on their new consoles because there are issues. To say otherwise, on either side, is spreading FUD IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

xacto

Please, not this "developer" again

He rather seems a bit more.. subdued than usual, though, doesn't he now? From the "pigeons" episode until today, there's been a long way, with quite a few reversals in the narrative. He still thinks his opinion matters, that's why he expresses it, but oh well, we all do have opinions now, don't we?

Anyway, his denial phase isn't completely over, he just thinks he's being elegant about it. Little does he know...

Allandor

PS5 Boost Mode it seems been confirmed by leaker

Don't understand what you want to say. The boost mode was already confirmed by Sony. Also that it would work directly with some titles but can be turned on (optional) by the user like on PS4 Pro.

btw, at least in germany it seems that retails stores won't offer the PS5 due to corona and the resulting customer-storm

Dass um den PS5-Erstverkaufstag (19.11.) herum überhaupt Ware in die Läden gelangt, gilt übrigens als ausgeschlossen – Filialen wurden unmissverständlich angewiesen, bis auf Weiteres keine Vorbestellungen der Laufkundschaft anzunehmen oder gar Wartelisten anzulegen, weil ohnehin alles in den Online-Vertrieb geht

So distribution in germany seems just to be online. But I guess you can order online and than pick it up in the retail store (like Media Markt etc) if available.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
So much for DF (Richard even!) being an Xbox shill, at least.

What he actually said was that he had heard some Devs found it more difficult because it was a change from the GDK of the Xbox One, while PS5 remained the same as PS4. So some devs found it comparatively more difficult, but that's obvious and doesn't mean it's actually difficult.

As stated, the example for games you provided also rings true for PC. It's on the devs, not the hardware.

I see no reason to suggest either MS or Sony are witholding information on their new consoles because there are issues. To say otherwise, on either side, is spreading FUD IMO.

Wow... because he is not hiding actively every possible bit of bad news he is unbiased defender of truth now :LOL:? Notice how the bad news is still delivered with an uplifting tone (vs news on something else being a lot more critical and cynical... look at how long he and Battaglia kept up the doubt over whether PS5 supported REAL HW RayTracing 😂): transparency can be a useful form of damage control if done wisely.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
How did you get 40min??

Warfare 200GB / 200,000MB : 185MB/s = 1,081 seconds : 60 = 18min x 2 =

36min to 50min+ (on an USB3.0 drive@125MB)
25+ with said alleged bad nvme drive (to 185MB/from 345MB)
4min+ with seagate expansion card

Wouldn't those copy times just indicate that the USB NVMe drive he used has a really slow write speed?

Have you ever seen one? We are talking 0.185GB per second. Even the first nvme drive of 2014? had 1GB+ speeds or more. No clue how that drive can be so terrible, even the other he used (SSD@540MB) was as bad, as fast.

SSD@540MB = 185MB+
NVME@xxxxx = 185MB+

Wow... because he is not hiding actively every possible bit of bad news he is unbiased defender of truth now :LOL:? Notice how the bad news is still delivered with an uplifting tone (vs news on something else being a lot more critical and cynical): transparency can be a useful form of damage control if done wisely.

You're free to keep thinking he's an Xbox shill if you want, but he did actively praise the PS5 in the same podcast for being beloved by every dev he spoke to, for what it's worth.

He's been accused, by Xbox fans, of being a Sony shill in the past for mocking the Xbox One reveal and slamming Halo Infinite, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

The point is, the PS5 carries over PS4 SDK, while Xbox Series has changed their SDK. This means more work for devs on while they adapt their current systems (and processes) and, obviously, you can encounter some issues which is totally normal but...yeah.

Oh damn!! People really are disappointed about the XSX SSD & USB speeds. You guys really fell for xbox marketing spin huh?? It was obvious that XSX was just of the shelf parts put together. They spent heavy on GPU not much else. I have been saying it ,its a suped up 1X. They went the PC model route. So this is how things play out. I'm surprised by many who expected better & believed Xbox PR. Fool me once ,fool twice and all that. Suppose to be smart folk no??

Just what it is lads.

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
You're free to keep thinking he's an Xbox shill if you want, but he did actively praise the PS5 in the same podcast for being beloved by every dev he spoke to, for what it's worth.

He's been accused, by Xbox fans, of being a Sony shill in the past for mocking the Xbox One reveal and slamming Halo Infinite, but in the end it doesn't really matter.

The point is, the PS5 carries over PS4 SDK, while Xbox Series has changed their SDK. This means more work for devs on while they adapt their current systems (and processes) and, obviously, you can encounter some issues which is totally normal but...yeah.

I get the issues with the GDK and why MS wants devs to move to it, but that is not the points. His record and Battaglia’s one speak for themselves... they are not at the MrXmedia level, but if you think that not hiding all good PS5 news and all bad XSX news makes their Reporting unbiased well... I can see how you see what they said as ripping into Xbox as that is the most criticism that is accepted.

Bad Xbox news = sure, but insert good things waiting on the horizon... still excited. PS news? Cynical, proof is needed, concern raised, backhanded compliments, compliments but... how long did they essentially only have a hard time to PS5 over its raytracing implementation just to name one thing?

Sony is not giving them much access and unless they want to only survive on leaks they are hedging their bets and not pissing off the only big supplier giving them direct access (Nintendo surely is not either).

Last edited:

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
Oh damn!! People really are disappointed about the XSX SSD & USB speeds. You guys really fell for xbox marketing spin huh?? It was obvious that XSX was just of the shelf parts put together. They spent heavy on GPU not much else. I have been saying it ,its a suped up 1X. They went the PC model route. So this is how things play out. I'm surprised by many who expected better & believed Xbox PR. Fool me once ,fool twice and all that. Suppose to be smart folk no??

Just what it is lads.

I think you are being unfair here. The BCPack HW decoder, their I/O co-processors, and Direct Storage API are still a key differentiator over PC’s which will brute force it as usual with gazillion more RAM. I think PS5 has a considerably better solution there on the HW side, but Velocity Architecture is not just hype.

Sampler Feedback Streaming, although not a silver bullet, should help more devs get to grip with decent texture streaming and virtual texturing solutions too.

MastaKiiLA

Stuff like this makes me think the USB drivers might just not be optimized yet. This could conceivably be fixed in software, if the throughput on the port is the same in both directions.

EDIT: Also someone else suggested that the drive in the USB controller has slow write speeds. Also possible. However, 345MB/s (the write to internal) should be easily feasible on an SSD. That would have to be a pretty shitty SSD he put in the USB enclosure.

Last edited:

The internal SSD has super high write speeds.
Those other external SSDS have not.
So of course from internal to external is slower, because the external SSD is limiting.
The internal SSD can write faster and keep up with the read speed and transfer of the external SSD

The speed and throughput is always the same no matter the direction.
And the internal SSD can't be the bottleneck, because it's faster in the other discipline.
It's logic. It just looks weird to be slower that way.

Last edited:

Great Hair

Banned
The internal SSD has super high write speeds.
Those other external SSDS have not.

We all know that. BUT in his first video, he used an SSD external by seagate (XBX), limited to 540MB and in the second video he used an nvme ... both were equally bad, fast (at 185MB or roughly 4min30s).

It´s definitely not the hardware, else he picked two external drives with different internal connections that happen to have the same write speed?

Neo Blaster

If you're going to spread FUD and console war, try to at least not be so wrong

Yet, why are the only games we've seen running on it BC ones and an indie? We've already seen many multis running on PS5, so it's not a case of games not ready to be shown. It's not a hardware problem, because MS already started shipments, so it's probably something related to devkits and APIs.

Garani

What makes you say that? has something been leaked or announced?

Japanese content creators will be able to release their playtime with the PS5. I bet they have already recorded much of their videos

At least we're getting to see actual nextgen games and not backwards compatibility bullshit.

Who knows? We know next to nothing at this point.

Do we bookmark this, mate?

If you're right, I am not getting popcorn, I'll go with red wine 😉

Well, the Japanese will surely publish their videos. What we will see, or understand, it’s up to debate.

And make no mistake: the glorious part will not be the content per se, but the war that will bring down NeoGAF. Hence the popcorn!

Yet, why are the only games we've seen running on it BC ones and an indie? We've already seen many multis running on PS5, so it's not a case of games not ready to be shown. It's not a hardware problem, because MS already started shipments, so it's probably something related to devkits and APIs.
They haven't shown any major stuff running on actual hardware. Not only that, but, one of their timed exclusive games was only shown running on PS5 😅

Neo Blaster

Isn't the external drive writing speed the bottleneck here? Which drive did he use?

sircaw

Banned
There are allot of concern FUD spreaders on new GAF accounts or dormant ones that have come to life with ps5 concern, starting new thraeds to FUD, its easy to spot and laughable.

If such posters believe this behavoir is endearing or makes us like the mS brand, it works the other way. Call out to @X-Fighter and other decent posters.

I am here, oh wait this is technical stuff your talking about isn't it. fs "lollipop_disappointed:

D

Deleted member 775630

Unconfirmed Member
Do you think that the PS5 version just runs better? Could be a possibility.
That's more likely at least. Since DF also said that developers had issues with latest GDK of Microsoft, and that everything was working so well and easy with PS5 I can imagine that at launch games will look better on the PS5. Won't stay like that though.

Zoro7

Banned
That's more likely at least. Since DF also said that developers had issues with latest GDK of Microsoft, and that everything was working so well and easy with PS5 I can imagine that at launch games will look better on the PS5. Won't stay like that though.
For sure. It’s usually awhile before new consoles are being fully utilised. Will be interesting to see how games will look on both systems in a couple years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom