• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gediminas

Banned
What?

Microsoft hasn't even shown XSX games running on XSX hardware.. not 1st or 3rd party games. Sony has shown numerous games running on PS5 hardware.

I'm not talking about consoles sent to media people.. we actually have no clue if Sony has sent PS5's to the media as they may have, and they could be embargoed for info until a later date.

Anyone not finding it odd that Microsoft has only shown BC running on next-gen hardware a month and a half before it's out is pretty suspect at least... probably a kinda delusional fanboy. And I avoid calling people fanboys usually.. but come on now.
japan youtubers got PS5 to review it. embargo til 4th of october.

duhmetree

July 2020 Phil Spencer:
Exclusives Are ‘Completely Counter To What Gaming Is About,’ Xbox’s Phil Spencer Says
September 2020 Phil Spencer:
Making games exclusive to a single console can be incredibly lucrative

Bipolar Disorder?
They start believe their PR mantra.

BC is great.
Gamepass is great value. ( Dont get me wrong it is, BUT you still need games. I want to see subscriber numbers without the crazy deals )
Gaming should be on all platforms. No barriers

This was the mantra because that was all they had. Now, its about 'creating the best place for Xbox players'
Halo bombed as bad as I've seen any AAA game bomb. At least the Order: 1886 looked good.

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned
Ahhhhhhhh :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:

I'm home, Gaf!
I've missed you.

~That rat smelling xacto xacto has been trying his luck too, he is down to his last couple of lives. dirty fleabag needs to be spade.
Either will do if i am honest, the one from the surgery or the one from my tool-shed, i am not fussy when it comes to the spade option on these overgrown rodents.

And yes lol, WELCOME BACK. somethings never change. :messenger_heart:

Great Hair

Banned
Series X is using USB 3.1 Gen1 with 5Gbps?!

Series X is doing half the speed (at least read external and write internal)
So it seems correct, not?

TWXMh56.png

5Gbps are 625MB/s.
10Gbps are 2*625MB/s (1.25GB/s)

Both tested drives only achieved 185MB/s, less than 30% of what the USB3.0 Gen1 port is capable of. The drives test on that website, all reach about 60%+ of the max. throughput (except for the crucial x8).

i´m just surprised to see how poorly the nvme drive did, in jeff´s 2nd video. I still believe that it would have saturated the usb3.0 gen1 5Gbps connection.

spartan30gr

That RT looks very low res. Although that's to be expected from these consoles, full scene RT in a 60FPS title won't do any miracles.

Returnal tho will be amazing, mark my words.

By the way gt7 has a page up now

Some details:

PS5™ features

-Stunning visuals: Marvel at rendering quality through ray tracing, with support for 4K, HDR, and a targetd 60 FPS frame rate.*

-Fast loading: Go to race events quickly, gather in lobbies and receive friend invites extremely quickly with an ultra-high speed SSD. Select from a huge variety of cars with no load times.

-Adaptive triggers: Feel the contrast in brake pedal weight at different sensitivity ranges, the vibrations from the ABS and variation in throttle pedal weight on different types of cars.

-Haptic feedback: Experience the feeling of tire contact with the road, and subtle bumps on the road surface.

-Tempest 3D AudioTech: Sense the position of other cars and drivers around you through sound. Hear clear 3D Audio positioning and spatial expression of depth and height in replays.

*4K & HDR on supported TVs only

Last edited:

sircaw

Banned

Dabaus

Banned
I'm pretty convinced at this stage that Msft know they don't have much to launch the XSX with, and have known this for quite some time. They are going to hang the near future on GamePass, 3rd party, and BC, knowing full well that they will be able to properly respond to Sony's output in eighteen months to a year.

If this turns out to be the case, there will be questions as to why they didn't delay the launch of the console, but they've obviously number crunched, and decided that they can easily get through this rather lean period, with the promise of much more to come.

Weirdly, this is directly the opposite of two generations ago, when 360 was the better console out of the blocks, and it took Sony quite a while to catch up.

XBox could still have some big news to announce of course, but I wouldn't be surprised if this was just about it for the time being - with GamePass and third party being what keeps the fanbase happy.

What big news is that?

Allandor

A terrible USB controller is in the XSX like Jeff Grubb claims?

At those speeds, it takes up to 40min to backup 200GB/Warfare and copy over another 200GB game. 185MB per second, we are talking slightly better sata1 (150MB+) speeds from 2003.

It could copy it back at nearly twice the speed (345MB/s out of the max. 600MB), no port issue to me. Seems more like Microsoft is pushing the gamer towards the purchase of their seagate expansion nvme, by limiting the speed on non-official drives?
??? I think your calculation is wrong.
Wasn't AC Origins 49GiB in size?
4:25 => 265s
(265 / 49) * 200 => 18,...
so it is about 18 minutes. Not 40.

But yes, the USB controller might not be the best, but it is by far not the worst. Also the USB controller might also do other stuff in the background (we just don't know). But there is another thing, write speeds on SSDs are most often much worse than read speeds. Most SSDs have some kind of cache, and if the cache is full the write speed really suffers (so fast on paper but in in reality).
But maybe it is just a software thing. E.g. Windows often used the safe mode for USB devices. Maybe this is still on.

Wouldn't those copy times just indicate that the USB NVMe drive he used has a really slow write speed?
He used an external case. Even this case (with a small controller) can be limiting. But well ... ~500MB/s seems to be more or less the limit for the USB port.

Last edited:

Mod of War

Ω
Staff Member
Got a question. How is it that Bo and Agnostic were banned due to a tweet about the xbox BC that was actually confirmed by the girl and Richard? Yet a known rabid xbox fanboy was not banned for posting a rumor about the PS5 BC when it was already confirmed by Jim Ryan that 99% of PS4 games are BC?

Bo was not banned for the DF topic. His topic was closed based on how he framed it with an inflammatory "war like" nature. He then went to other threads and copy/pasting it attempting to derail after the thread closure. When a mod warned him to dial that back he ignored the warning, thus he was banned a few days to put that into perspective, and to cool off.

He is more than welcome to create the topic again when he returns, in a more mature fashion that leaves it open for discussion.

If you notice, we will be cracking down more on the most ardent and inflammatory fanatic bait, but we also ask the community to do your own due diligence as well. We are not baby sitters, just report and move on instead of quoting the derail and adding to the noise in return.

5Gbps are 625MB/s.
10Gbps are 2*625MB/s (1.25GB/s)

Both tested drives only achieved 185MB/s, less than 30% of what the USB3.0 Gen1 port is capable of. The drives test on that website, all reach about 60%+ of the max. throughput (except for the crucial x8).

i´m just surprised to see how poorly the nvme drive did, in jeff´s 2nd video. I still believe that it would have saturated the usb3.0 gen1 5Gbps connection.
I know what you're talking about.
But from external to internal (being limited by the same USB and external SSD), they manage that 60% like others on PC

SS
So there is something going on here, but it can't be the USB or internal because it works fine in the other direction.

THat is my point.
Maybe it's software

Zadom

Bo was not banned for the DF topic. His topic was closed based on how he framed it with an inflammatory "war like" nature. He then went to other threads and copy/pasting it attempting to derail after the thread closure. When a mod warned him to dial that back he ignored the warning, thus he was banned a few days to put that into perspective, and to cool off.

He is more than welcome to create the topic again when he returns, in a more mature fashion that leaves it open for discussion.

If you notice, we will be cracking down more on the most ardent and inflammatory fanatic bait, but we also ask the community to do your own due diligence as well. We are not baby sitters, just report and move on instead of quoting the derail and adding to the noise in return.

Bo_Hazem

Leqk7wC.jpg

Thank you for your sacrifice Bo

Last edited:

dotnotbot

By the way gt7 has a page up now

Some details:

PS5™ features

-Stunning visuals: Marvel at rendering quality through ray tracing, with support for 4K, HDR, and a targetd 60 FPS frame rate.*

-Fast loading: Go to race events quickly, gather in lobbies and receive friend invites extremely quickly with an ultra-high speed SSD. Select from a huge variety of cars with no load times.

-Adaptive triggers: Feel the contrast in brake pedal weight at different sensitivity ranges, the vibrations from the ABS and variation in throttle pedal weight on different types of cars.

-Haptic feedback: Experience the feeling of tire contact with the road, and subtle bumps on the road surface.

-Tempest 3D AudioTech: Sense the position of other cars and drivers around you through sound. Hear clear 3D Audio positioning and spatial expression of depth and height in replays.

*4K & HDR on supported TVs only

Where is muh optional 120 Hz mode :messenger_neutral:

sircaw

Banned
community to do your own due diligence as well. We are not baby sitters, just report and move on instead of quoting the derail and adding to the noise in return.

You want reporting + informing on people going on, i am your stool pigeon.

WHO WANTS SOME, TRY me, "lollipop_disappointed:

Last edited:

Vae_Victis

Banned
Have you seen the screen shots on that site, i think those look even better than Demon souls. HOW.
Nothing so far looks better than Demon's Souls. On top of very high environmental, model and texture detail - light, volumetric smoke, haze, motion blur and particles are used to give an incredible level of depth to the scene. That game looks like CGI in a very strict sense of the term, because it uses a lot of visual techniques that until now were basically impossible outside of CGI for something with this baseline level of detail.

Dragon.jpg

Returnal looks like a current-gen game with all the settings turned to maximum and a good overall visual design. But the scene and the light are still very flat in comparison.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom