• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

DaGwaphics

Hmm so every single PS5 Fud was really about the XSX. All that projection look at you know.

XSX doesn't have heat issues, so what is there to project about? The two hour nonsense is for the brainless, these units are tested for longer periods than that. The guy in the video you link doesn't even claim their is a heat issue, just says the console is toasty. What console isn't? What PC isn't? Computers generate heat, you are either radiating that outward via fans and the case or keeping it trapped inside. I'd say that my X1 VCR and my PS4 slim get very toasty if touching the casing after a few hours. Both are stable and quiet systems that have no heat problems.

Mistakes like the 360 can happen, but that was an issue that occurred after months or sometimes years of use, so not as easy to test in QA. Do you really think MS sent a unit out that overheats in two hours on a regular basis? LOL

Once again the RTX 2060S was non-arbitrarily chosen because it will be competitve or comparable to the PS5 GPU - not because it is the exact same. To repeat: NOT BECAUSE THE RTX 2060 SUPER IS THE EXACT SAME AS THE PS5 GPU. We could have gone with an RTX 2070S, but after talking with the Team we thought the RTX 2060S Was the better GPU comparison.

I apologize to Alex. I put the sole blame on him when really the whole team was in on it.

You tried to imply that the Ps5 wasn’t on and working, because you wanted to spread FUD about a console you don’t like. Then you immediately got owned by several posters. It would have taken you mere seconds to see that you were in error before posting, but you just had to show your console warrior credentials as quickly as possible. And now you look a fool. Do at least try to own your mistake and do better in future. That’ll make this gaming forum better for all of us 👍
Console warrior credentials?

DaGwaphics

Mr Moose Mr Moose , keep in mind this was for a video specifically about RT. Whether right or wrong, they must believe that the 2060s is the better match in RTX on scenarios.

Last edited:

demigod

XSX doesn't have heat issues, so what is there to project about? The two hour nonsense is for the brainless, these units are tested for longer periods than that. The guy in the video you link doesn't even claim their is a heat issue, just says the console is toasty. What console isn't? What PC isn't? Computers generate heat, you are either radiating that outward via fans and the case or keeping it trapped inside. I'd say that my X1 VCR and my PS4 slim get very toasty if touching the casing after a few hours. Both are stable and quiet systems that have no heat problems.

Mistakes like the 360 can happen, but that was an issue that occurred after months or sometimes years of use, so not as easy to test in QA. Do you really think MS sent a unit out that overheats in two hours on a regular basis? LOL

Wtf are you talking about. MS knew about the RRoD yet they still released the console, that’s a fact.

Keep in mind this was for a video specifically about RT. Whether right or wrong, they must believe that the 2060s is the better match in RTX on scenarios.

I gave Alex credit on the video because it really was a well made video and very informative but he isn't getting a pass for the 2060S comparison especially now that he clarified he was talking about the performance of the GPU as a whole. Now we have FUD being spread online about the PS5.

DaGwaphics

Wtf are you talking about. MS knew about the RRoD yet they still released the console, that’s a fact.

They were not aware of that issue before launch, no. Believe me, if they had known they would have spent the extra $5 to try and dissipate heat a bit better, much cheaper than the warranty program. Not to mention the hit to the brand overall.

You have to think of these things realistically.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
They were not aware of that issue before launch, no. Believe me, if they had known they would have spent the extra $5 to try and dissipate heat a bit better, much cheaper than the warranty program. Not to mention the hit to the brand overall.

You have to think of these things realistically.
That is factually wrong, those overheating about series X might be bullshit I do agree with you on that but according to the Takahashi report Ms knew about it.
Here's a link talking about it.

devilNprada

Honestly as long as the system is cool and quiet I can understand why they went with that size. I don't think the size will bother many people to be honest.

At least the width fits down in my entertainment center.. Xbox has to go to the side like a matching subwoofer.. Not sure I've even run Hdmi cables that long.

PSX

My position being already selected, I love how we can see PS logo and Sony logo at the same time corner to corner.

my precious :messenger_smiling_horns:

3fufZHK.jpg

Last edited:
But how can one compare two different architectures from two different companies.
And one not even released yet.
I'll call this one from DF FUD.

I figured it out. They still believe that Richard's RDNA1 tests of overclocking a 5700 in comparison to a stock 5700XT are relevant when it comes to RDNA2. What Richard did was see how close a 5700 could get to a higher CU 5700XT and it fell short but that's due to the limitations of the architecture at higher clock speeds. This didn't stop Richard though.

Another theory of mine is that they still believe PS5 to be 9TF. 5700 is a 7.9TF GPU (2060 class) and 5700XT is a 9.7TF GPU (2070 class). From what Alex is saying he thinks PS5 falls somewhere in between that which would land it conveniently around the 9TF mark which would be roughly a 2060S.

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

That is factually wrong, those overheating about series X might be bullshit I do agree with you on that but according to the Takahashi report Ms knew about it.
Here's a link talking about it.

A BS report. There were some known issues in the manufacturing process when it came to the memory and other components. MS was tossing a very high percentage of units off the line to start with. They were not aware that units that appeared functional off the line would experience the RRoD issue. There was an entire book written about the 360 launch from design through mid-gen.

Last edited:
Alex wasn't spreading fud about anything in regards to RT. And by the way, the gif you posted demonstrates the low res reflections Alex was talking about. LOL
But it's not a good argument. All traditionnal effects on consoles (even PC) almost always have a reduced resolution: lighting, shadows, SSR etc. It's not something new. RT on Minecraft running on XSX was also at a reduced resolution. Did they make a video just to talk about that? "the cost of RT on Minecraft", well no. Did they ever make a video about the "cost of shadows map and SSR" ?

This argument is only a console warrior argument. "It's RT but it's low res so it doesn't count."

They couldn't make a positive video for PS5 (because they are Xbox fanboys) so they found a way to make a video painting a slightly negative picture of PS5 hardware. Like they could have made a video about the impressive rasterizing power displayed of the GPU in the 60fps Spidey demo (8x more pixels pushed than PS4, >4x more than Pro, equivalent to 14.7tflops of GCN), well they didn't and they'll never make such a video.

But they actually did a few of those videos when it was about XBX in order to show how powerful the machine was.

More recently In their BC video with XSX they only showed a objectively modest improvement compared to XBX, from 1.5 to 2x better performance and they called it "extreme". So 1.5, 2x better than XBX is "extreme", but they refuse to even make a video about 4x better performance than Pro?

Last edited:

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
A BS report. There were some known issues in the manufacturing process when it came to the memory and other components. MS was tossing a very high percentage of units off the line to start with. They were not aware that units that appeared functional off the line would experience the RRoD issue.
But you assume they didn't know, I have a report, you have an opinion ,maybe one is more informed than the other?
You talked about logic and 5 $ for fixing it negleting totally the cost of R&D and to recall all the model produced etc....

DaGwaphics

But you assume they didn't know, I have a report, you have an opinion ,maybe one is more informed than the other?
You talked about logic and 5 $ for fixing it negleting totally the cost of R&D and to recall all the model produced etc....
You have an inaccurate report and your opinion. I don't really think the R&D cost was that high for the larger heatsink, LOL.

You choose to believe they shipped a defective product, on purpose. A console no less, where they make no money on the initial sale and need the console to last for years in order to make a profit. Here the issue is talked about by an individual actually familiar with what happened. The RRoD issue started to creep up 6 to 9 months after launch. https://www.businessinsider.com/red-ring-of-death-recall-2016-4

Last edited:

El Sueño

What? mine lasted 3 weeks. And it was brand new.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill
You have an inaccurate report and your opinion. I don't really think the R&D cost was that high for the larger heatsink, LOL.

You choose to believe they shipped a defective product, on purpose. A console no less, where they make no money on the initial sale and need the console to last for years in order to make a profit.
Not exactly on purpose because by your statement they wanted the 360 to be faulty.That's not what I said I saiid that they knew before launch it would have a high failure rate.

Simply because it happenned so fast to more than 50% of Xboxs how come they didn't know?
Do you think they don't test their products.

So to recap I have a report, an opinion and logic, you have entitlement and nothing else.

sircaw

Banned
So on a serious question, after seeing the load times today, and the thermals and sound being beyond excellent for the ps5.

Are there any people that were on the fence and worried, have now decided to commit to getting a ps5.

I know the noise factor was a big issue for a couple of people, i just cant remember who it was, sorry i is old.

I won't lie, from me this is what i was hoping for so i am rather ecstatic but would love to hear from other people on the fence (DEFENCE great movie btw, if anyone knows where that comes from)

Please respond if your out there would love to know.

DaGwaphics

Not exactly on purpose because by your statement they wanted the 360 to be faulty.That's not what I said I saiid that they knew before launch it would have a high failure rate.

Simply because it happenned so fast to more than 50% of Xboxs how come they didn't know?
Do you think they don't test their products.

So to recap I have a report, an opinion and logic, you have entitlement and nothing else.

I have the information provided by Robbie Bach's book, a summary of which is in the article I linked, keep in mind this guy knew what actually happened. You are conflating things in bazar way, the 360 had major manufacturing issues at the start. But there was no evidence that working units would go faulty. All you have is a random conspiracy theory with nothing backing it up.

Last edited:

Loxus

I figured it out. They still believe that Richard's RDNA1 tests of overclocking a 5700 in comparison to a stock 5700XT are relevant when it comes to RDNA2. What Richard did was see how close a 5700 could get to a higher CU 5700XT and it fell short but that's due to the limitations of the architecture at higher clock speeds. This didn't stop Richard though.

Another theory of mine is that they still believe PS5 to be 9TF. 5700 is a 7.9TF GPU (2060 class) and 5700XT is a 9.7TF GPU (2070 class). From what Alex is saying he thinks PS5 falls somewhere in between that which would land it conveniently around the 9TF mark which would be roughly a 2060S.

One thing I find super funny,
Is when he said XBSX BC is running BC in GCN mode.

So why isn't the CPU running jaguar mode?
Why isn't RDNA 1 GPUs running PC games in GCN mode?
Will the PS5 run games in GCN mode or is it an Xbox exclusive thing?
Does RDNA 2 have no real improvement with IPC gains?

So many questions with no answers.
Did Richard create some kind of GPU Paradox?

What are you waffling about. Don't be a goofy. Just take the punches when they hit you. And keep it real. Who are we going to believe you or the guy with an actual unit? As a man just keep it real have ,some integrity FFS. Fanboy shit looks goofy.

The guy outright said the XSX is toasty on standby.Thats George foreman grill level.The XSX gets hot. Thats what it is. Suck it up.
Trying to disagree with some one that has an actual unit. SMH what are you doing here.

Some one already hit you up with RROD. 52' cu's in this small form factor was always going to cause heat. Theres a reason apple stop making the trash can. https://www.theverge.com/2017/4/4/15175994/apple-mac-pro-failure-admission

Just take the hit. It is what it is. You can still enjoy your XSX.

azertydu91

Hard to Kill

You choose to believe they shipped a defective product, on purpose. A console no less, where they make no money on the initial sale and need the console to last for years in order to make a profit. Here the issue is talked about by an individual actually familiar with what happened. The RRoD issue started to creep up 6 to 9 months after launch. https://www.businessinsider.com/red-ring-of-death-recall-2016-4
Oh you edited your post so a testimony VS a class action lawsuit with multiple proofs and it is still going.
That maybe worth more since the case got approuved meaning it has enough substance to get to court.

Edit: congrat you have a book saying no, I have one saying the earth is flat .... Do you have anything better than acase approuved bu the court?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

What? mine lasted 3 weeks. And it was brand new.

You were really unlucky, this issue didn't even hit mainstream news until 6-9 months after the system released. My original unit lasted about 2 1/2 years, and I used it quite a bit, I never sat mine vertically though, which cut off most of the ventilation on the original units.

DaGwaphics

Oh you edited your post so a testimony VS a class action lawsuit with multiple proofs and it is still going.
That maybe worth more since the case got approuved meaning it has enough substance to get to court.

The suit about the scratched disks? Also, not something that would have presented itself for some time down the road. There was no class action about the RRoD, how could there be when MS was already replacing them all at no cost, they weren't even charging shipping. LOL

FunkMiller

Gold Member
IbelieveinGenerations was permed

:messenger_sad_relieved:

Yeah... there's going to be a lot of this over the coming few weeks as the consoles get closer to release, and we get actual hard, undeniable facts, instead of loads of conjecture and bullshit. Each console is going to have its strengths, and its weaknesses, so there's going to be lots of ammunition for the warriors to jump on. Think I'll score the mods some relaxing bath salts. They're going to need them.

Last edited:
Yeah... there's going to be a lot of this over the coming few weeks as the consoles get closer to release, and we get actual hard, undeniable facts, instead of loads of conjecture and bullshit. Each console is going to have its strengths, and its weaknesses, so there's going to be lots of ammunition for the warriors to jump on. Think I'll score the mods some relaxing bath salts. They're going to need them.

The console war is like Battle Royale.

1*zqh4UIBWwmY9goPeUtcQyQ.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom