• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Next-Gen PS5 & XSX |OT| Console tEch threaD

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yoboman

Consumer-facing videos would require higher (or at least any) quality control. And why would you do something that require spending extra resources without obvious benefit?
There is an obvious consumer benefit. Drop off rates for games are extremely high, if this can help keep a customer engaged through a challenging or confusing part of the game then its good for everyone

Its also extremely low maintenance to record somebody playing the game and uploading it, compared to actual game development. You act like developers don't play through their games hundreds or thousands of times already. There's also no mandate to go upload 180 videos like Demons Souls. Devs can easily identify challenging parts of the game from play testing and just focus on that for video help

Last edited:

assurdum

Banned
This is what I'm saying though. Surly with a few more CU's and less clocks so it could sustain 10.2 constanly would be betterthan 8-9 TF to 10.2 variable? Lol.

I get it. With the silicon they chose this is a way to get more performance our of it. I'm not debating that. What I'm saying is there was a different way of getting more power with more CU's at a steady lower clock. A la series x. I just think it's not the best design to have a variable clock even if deterministic.
The level of obtusity of this post is something else. The point of variable clock it's to have more than you have with fixed clock performance. A GPU with more CU and substained clock with the same TF as you said not necessarily give the big advantage you think, especially considered the GPU frequency in a 10 TF GPU with more CUs means around to the 1,5 Ghz of clock perfomance. So to have substained 1,5Ghz of GPU perfomance would be better than variable 2,2 GHz clock when rdna2 it's all about of per watts performance?

Last edited:

dimaveshkin

There is an obvious consumer benefit. Drop off rates for games are extremely high, if this can help keep a customer engaged through a challenging or confusing part of the game then its good for everyone

Its also extremely low maintenance to record somebody playing the game and uploading it, compared to actual game development. You act like developers don't play through their games hundreds or thousands of times already. There's also no mandate to go upload 180 videos like Demons Souls. Devs can easily identify challenging parts of the game from play testing and just focus on that for video help

Drop-rate is an interesting argument. It may be a good reason. But the other thing pop in my head. Games are usually a subject to change. It may also alter some parts that were already put into the tips videos. Developers will have to keep track of coherency between videos and actual game.

Yoboman

Drop-rate is an interesting argument. It may be a good reason. But the other thing pop in my head. Games are usually a subject to change. It may also alter some parts that were already put into the tips videos. Developers will have to keep track of coherency between videos and actual game.
Sure, single player games rarely change that substantially though. Multiplayer and GAAS are a different breed though. Maybe videos for those are less game progression and more tips on mechanics or skills

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole

It's incredibly unlikely they'd expect devs and QA to have to worry about recording these videos during their normal playtesting, and most of that is spent on an unfinished version of a game anyways and things can change.

I imagine Sony has some good tooling for this, but the effort would probably be paying someone specifically to play through your game and record these videos. The cost would be based on how big your game is and how extensive you wanted the help to be.. how much time you spent vetting videos or editing them, etc... and really the cost is dependent on Sony's tooling and what it takes to get this work done.

Compared to other aspects of game dev it's definitely small.. and if Sony's tooling is good it could be really easy... we'll have to wait and see how 3rd parties use it though as it is still "Extra budget."

Last edited:

onQ123

I don't like the fact that Sony haven't mentioned the FPS of the PS5 Camera yet hopefully they are not cheap'n out with a 30FPS camera.

Richard Marks is no longer with them so the camera might be only used for streaming & making videos now.

TrebleShot

PS5 does not have infinity cache. This speculation is getting silly. If they had it they would have announced it, or been mentioned in the announcement from AMD
Why would they announce it? What the hell is it? Seen people talking about it last week or so, some sort of special sauce?

BGs

Industry Professional
if you are not curious or hopeful for Boost mode being good then good for you

to me i am hoping boost mode delivers good performance and uses the power of PS5.

You have every right to demand quality in what you pay, even when it is not necessary to be so picky.

Don't be mad, I was joking before.

Last edited:

Yoboman

It's incredibly unlikely they'd expect devs and QA to have to worry about recording these videos during their normal playtesting, and most of that is spent on an unfinished version of a game anyways and things can change.

I imagine Sony has some good tooling for this, but the effort would probably be paying someone specifically to play through your game and record these videos. The cost would be based on how big your game is and how extensive you wanted the help to be.. how much time you spent vetting videos or editing them, etc... and really the cost is dependent on Sony's tooling and what it takes to get this work done.

Compared to other aspects of game dev it's definitely small.. and if Sony's tooling is good it could be really easy... we'll have to wait and see how 3rd parties use it though as it is still "Extra budget."
Developers still do gold level play testing. It's a reason many bugs are identified and addressed in day one patches

And its not like they have to sit there and get through an 80 hour game. They can identify what parts of the game they want to provide help for, jump to it and record. Heck, they can just play it on God mode if they are really feeling cheap about it

Heck they can probably record it all on a PS5 if they wanted

Last edited:

IntentionalPun

Developers still do gold level play testing. It's a reason many bugs are identified and addressed in day one patches

And its not like they have to sit there and get through an 80 hour game. They can identify what parts of the game they want to provide help for, jump to it and record. Heck, they can just play it on God mode if they are really feeling cheap about it

But then.. where do they jump? How do they know where to jump to? Someone has to basically design the help at some point.. so if you "jump around" someone else would already have had to go through the entire game and catalog where the videos are necessary. And all of that is tied to how complex the game is.. obviously they'd use cheat modes.. they'd still likely pay someone specifically for all of that work.

You don't just tack on shit like that to an existing developers workload... unless you want annoyed developers lol

Last edited:

SSfox

imrs.php

"If you are a PlayStation fan, on March 18 of 2020 you were likely confused, frustrated, bored, or some combination of the three. "

Nope i wasn't, personally speaking.

GreyHand23

I wonder how this compares to what we will see visually on PS5. It's being run at 4K 60fps, right? I'd imagine it would be extremely close or the same as what is in that video then. Godfall looks more impressive every time a new video is released.

That will be an interesting comparison because that gameplay was running on a 6800 XT with 64 gb of system ram and a 12 core processor. That's well beyond a PS5 spec wise.

Thirty7ven

Banned
But then.. where do they jump? How do they know where to jump to? Someone has to basically design the help at some point.. so if you "jump around" someone else would already have had to go through the entire game and catalog where the videos are necessary. And all of that is tied to how complex the game is.. obviously they'd use cheat modes.. they'd still likely pay someone specifically for all of that work.

You don't just tack on shit like that to an existing developers workload... unless you want annoyed developers lol

All you’re saying is that game development implies making choices on where resources go.

But devs who go through the effort of improving the whole experience are the winners, and they set the benchmarks that eventually become the standard.

Yoboman

You think devs dont already identify where play testers get stuck or have a greater challenge than usual during the thousands of hours of play testing and QA?

Its extremely low barrier to entry, and like I mentioned can be incorporated into the workflow of a play tester

travisktl

That will be an interesting comparison because that gameplay was running on a 6800 XT with 64 gb of system ram and a 12 core processor. That's well beyond a PS5 spec wise.
Jesus....yeah, I closed the video before reading that info. There seems to be a lot of new tech in this game, and that system is a beast! If the PS5 can do anything near this, then that will be extremely impressive.

Vaztu

"This year alone, you’ll find Cerny’s name in the credits for two launch titles on the PS5, “Spider-Man: Miles Morales” and “Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart,” not to mention the console itself. "

Ratchet & Clank confirmed for 2020?

No, they confirmed R&C for launch window, which is usually till end of 2020 financial year (March end I believe).

This article either needs an editor or a technically knowledgeable person. Poor wording

reksveks

It's not about consumer benefit, its about financial roi for the devs and whether they think that they will sell extra copies on the back of having video guides. I am very doubtful personally.

IntentionalPun

You think devs dont already identify where play testers get stuck or have a greater challenge than usual during the thousands of hours of play testing and QA?

Its extremely low barrier to entry, and like I mentioned can be incorporated into the workflow of a play tester
Could definitely see it being incorporated into QA workflow; I was just saying it's unlikely you'd really want actual devs involved. They have more important things to focus on lol

Either way I hope a lot of companies use it.. I was just saying that if it was monitizable they almost certainly WOULD use it lol

TLZ

Banned
People are too caught up in clocks and is this image ray traced or not.

I havent followed the XSX near as much especially the last few days (mainly from not feeling well among other things) but this next gen is a massive upgrade.

Does Demon Souls have RT?

Who gives a shit have you seen the videos coming out for it?

Especially for pure console gamers the SSDs in these things will blow you away.

Stop fighting and just take it all in whats coming.
giphy.gif

Lethal01

Thumb sticks are a concave/convex hybrid which feels very nice and grippy. My custom DualShock 4 has the xbox elite sticks for comparison and the center face feels a touch larger on the Dualsense which works better for my thumb size.

This gives me hope that I can learn to prefer it despite the thumbsticks being in the wrong place.

Yoboman

It's not about consumer benefit, its about financial roi for the devs and whether they think that they will sell extra copies on the back of having video guides. I am very doubtful personally.
Not everything has to be monetised on top of what you're already paying for the game

Last edited:

MrFunSocks

Banned
Yes the PS5 can use full clocks all the time if that is desirable.

Sony aren’t interested in your lack of comprehension when they’re describing how their system operates.
No, they can’t. The listed clock speeds were the maximum the cpu and gpu can reach. The gpu cannot reach that clock speed unless it is taking power away from the cpu, at which time the cpu isn’t at its max clock speed.

Lethal01

People are too caught up in clocks and is this image ray traced or not.

I havent followed the XSX near as much especially the last few days (mainly from not feeling well among other things) but this next gen is a massive upgrade.

Does Demon Souls have RT?

Who gives a shit have you seen the videos coming out for it?

Especially for pure console gamers the SSDs in these things will blow you away.

Stop fighting and just take it all in whats coming.

We had 2 interviews a day apart, one saying how Raytracing was core to the visuals they achieved then another explaining why they decided that it wasn't worth it.

Gotta, admit messaging that mixed makes you really want to know what's going on.

Also wish that if they don't have it after marketing the game using it that it's fair to want some official confirmation.

That said I agree that trying to pretend the game doesn't look great is idiotic.

Ah, I’n not angry at you dude. Plastic boxes go bing... none of this is important enough to get angry about.

I do get... er.... irate with the likes of Microsoft when they clearly bullshit in their marketing though. Does none of us any good whatsoever. And Msft have exaggerated the XSSs capabilities, claiming it can do things across the board it can’t. Not on.

I actually found his degree online!

inYMFcY.jpg

Last edited:

LucidFlux

This gives me hope that I can learn to prefer it despite the thumbsticks being in the wrong place.

Heh I know what you mean because I couldn't stand the DS3, my thumbs would often touch while playing and both hands would cramp up real fast.

The DS4 was just good enough to not be annoying imo. My favorite recently have been the Nintendo Pro controllers (both Wii U and Switch) and DualSense may just have those beat when it comes to comfort, but we'll see after a prolonged gaming session.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom